This franchise could've been so much better than what we got

This franchise could've been so much better than what we got.

Attached: untitled.jpg (900x1332, 278K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hbX6RfAhfag
youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1rS_UAvjs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The whole trilogy is great though user.

The first three had great effects, costume, score and just the right amount of weirdness, but the script was a mess by the end

Pretty much this, the series got way too into huffing its own farts and leaned too hard into the mystical lore bullshit. Everything to do with Calypso was the worst.

But honestly? Pirates 4 wasn't half-bad. Blackbeard made a pretty good villain and Penelope Cruz is hot. Making the movie about Jack instead of Will was kind of a misstep, since Jack works best as a support character, but it was still a relatively fun adventure movie that didn't take itself too seriously.

Pirates 5 had a lot of promising stuff, but the plot was WAY too complicated and went hard into the lore bullshit again. I maintain that Captain Salazar is the best villain in the franchise though, so it's worth a watch for Javier Bardem alone.

Original film was unironically top ten goat material but the sequels are all proof that the original was a fluke. Except for davy jones-kino. If they ever make a billionth one again they need to stop it with all of this undead army shit. The original only did it to connect with the ride.

Trying to make it into an epic ruined it. Curse of the Black Pearl worked because it was exactly what every movie in the series needed to be: a fun pirate adventure.

>The first three had great effects, costume, score and just the right amount of weirdness, but the script was a mess by the end
Sure, but the previous qualities you mentioned carries the first three movies well enough to compensate for that. A solid 8/10 imo

You were based until
> I maintain that Captain Salazar is the best villain in the franchise though, so it's worth a watch for Javier Bardem alone.

JAGGG. Jones was best.

I agree if 2 and 3 were of the same quality as the first this would’ve been the greatest trilogy of all time the effects the villains and the main story ideas were all top tier but the script was a little too daft in places if they had tidied it up a bit more and dialed down the cringier moments it would’ve have been better than lotr or star wars as a trilogy

THIS. Such a damn good villain they gave him two movies

Attached: 72EB6593-58A2-44AD-9C93-BBC87A14A6C6.gif (500x208, 2.32M)

small brain: blackbeard
medium brain: salazar
big brain: barbosa
galactic brain: davey jones
ascended brain: beckett

Jones was a great character, but as a villain he felt too cartoonishly evil for me. Plus everything to do with Calypso watered him down a lot.

Salazar wanted nothing more than to fucking murder Jack Sparrow and doesn't hesitate to kill anyone in his way for no reason other than being pirates. Bardem plays him like a crazed sociopath with a one-track mind (and he's good at playing characters like that)

Small brain here, to this day I still don't understand why Beckett let Sparrow blow his ship away.

he thought he was one step ahead of everyone else but was caught with his pants down he could’ve returned fire but he knew he’d been outplayed and that he’d basically already lost goes with the calculating nature of his character that he’d freeze up and have an autistic breakdown

I unironically enjoyed the last one that came out 2/3 years ago. I thought it was almost as good as the first.

Attached: 1390020308431.jpg (640x476, 44K)

I don't get the hate for the second and third movie. Sure, they're bloated and not as good as the first one (which is a freaking 10/10 adventure movie), but they're alright.
The fourth one is shit tho.

only the first one is tolerable

They had some good ideas. Davy Jones, the Dutchman's curse, the EIC taking over myths to control the seas, Jack being an asshole, etc

The final battle was actually pretty great, if you can understand what was going on. But getting there was... hard. There were so many schemes that didn't matter in the end.

First one is legitimately good. Other than that, the highlight of the series past the first movie was and is Davy Jones.

Pirates 5 was a shit movie but Kaya's tits were definitely a highlight

Attached: tumblr_ow43wuL2ET1qm2i29o7_1280.gif (245x245, 2.04M)

Alternate timeline
>Curse of the black pearl is released in 2001
>They decide to not make any sequels
>Yea Forums praises it as one of the most entertaining pirate films ever made and it's a classic
Critique curse of the black pearl as a stand alone movie

Attached: 51fX40gGdXL._SY445_.jpg (316x445, 35K)

That score though
youtube.com/watch?v=hbX6RfAhfag

i love all the little movements Davey Jones does, they just give him so much more emotion. damn Bill Nighy is a great actor

Even in your fantasy you're this low on the totem pole.

The second movie is fantastic. The third just gets a bit heavy on the lore and 'pirate king' nonsense that it forgets it's just a fun adventure film.

Only the first movie was good, every other one was a fucking mess

>there is a fifth movie
What the fuck? I always assumed 4 and 5 were the same movie for some reason. They both suck.

As a standalone movie, it'd be regarded as easily one of, if not THE best pirate movie, and a great film all around. However, as soon as it exploded in popularity, you knew it was just another cog in the wheel for the mouse machine.

>tfw there's an alternate universe where Pirates bombed and Eddie Murphy is now best remembered for his work on all 5 installments of the Haunted Mansion series.

the 2nd and 3rd movies are overhated

like they're not great but people act like they're michael bay transformers tier bad, which just isn't the case. they still have fantastic action and visuals, and davy jones is still one of the best disney villains.

4 is serviceable, 5 is an absolute calamity of a film and killed the franchise.

Thanks for the chuckle user

God the CGI aged like wine, this was 13 years ago
youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1rS_UAvjs

I don't know how they could possibly even consider making a sixth movie. By number five, they made the object of desire Poseidon's fucking Trident. Literally what tops that?

Look, there are great scenes and setpieces but the 2nd and 3rd movies as a whole was a mess.People always rewatch the endings and action scenes but they never bother with the other shit in between.

1 > 2 > 4 >> 3 >>>> 5

Any other ranking is objectively wrong and shit

>4 >> 3

I remember going to see the first one in theaters as a "i'm too cool for this" faggot of a teenager, and pretty much never enjoying a film at the movies as much as I did, where I came out of it completely blown away.

i didn't say they were perfect but they're not colossal failures, i'd consider them just okay. honestly 2 is even pretty good.

the real problem is the scripts are bloated and more complex than necessary

4 is comfy and fun. 5 is unwatchable aside from Kaya
Until BR2049, this was the best cgi in a hollywood film. That's like 11 years it held the record for...

It's weird how much Johnny Depp based his character on Martin Landau's in Pirates. I guess he hoped nobody has seen it (and he was right).

Attached: Roman-Polanski-Pirates-1986-movie-bomb.jpg (1200x788, 156K)

I don't think there's really any other notable pirate movies out there to compare it too since like the Errol Flynn era

It's unbelievable to think that this was so long ago (in terms of technological advancements, etc) and it still looks amazing, where even major films today simply can't compete. That to me is the most astonishing thing about the entire series.

>>tfw there's an alternate universe where Pirates bombed and Eddie Murphy is now best remembered for his work on all 5 installments of the Haunted Mansion series
kek

Did he stutter?
3 is kind of trash. There's little, if anything, redeemable about that film.

Why does no other hollywood studio make good pirate films? They could be fucking kino
Why is Black Sails still the only great depiction of pirates in tv/film?

Pirates 5 would have worked better as a two part movie, like 2+3. It felt too rushed.

Disney doesn't know how to make good movies anymore. Only how to appeal to a mass audience.

It's considered a risky genre to make a movie in. Films set on the water are notoriously problematic and almost always go over budget. And on top of the last major pirate movie before POTC was Cutthroat Island and which failed so hard that it bankrupted an entire film studio . I'd imagine most of the financers involved in movies are simply looking for safer investments

Pirates 5 would have worked better as literally anything else. It was just so bad. Depp was flanderised to the point of parody, Bardem was chewing scenary constantly, and the story was boring and full of plot holes