Why did a franchise with so much promise fail so hard?

Why did a franchise with so much promise fail so hard?

Attached: men-in-black-spin-off-e1506709549108.jpg (1678x809, 273K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UqH98xCazf4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The first one was kino. The rest was just lame

Way too expensive to keep topping the previous movies.

What happened to johnny knoxville character in the second movie? He dissapeard in the middle of the film

The first movie felt more real and down to earth. The next movies kept upping the spectacle and losing the charm

Ironic that MIB 1&2 mirrors Ghosbusters 1&2.

Huge hit film. Takes five years to make a sequel because everyone's too busy fighting over money. Finally make it and it's rehashed trash.

Shoulsn't have brought back TLJ whose arch was complete in part 1. Should have been Smith and Fiorentino. Villains should have been the Telletubbies who are intergalactic drug dealers pretending to be children's entertainers.

They should have just made each sequel more absurd and insane!!!FACT!!!

>Ironic that MIB 1&2 mirrors Ghosbusters 1&2.

Forgot to mention both released by Columbia Pictures!!!FACT!!!

The cartoon was better

I'll always be mad at MIB2 for writing off the cute chick.

Attached: men-in-black-4.jpg (700x304, 41K)

This

Series kept dodging the idea of alien agents working on Earth and didn't really explore alien citizens of our planet.

Will Smith thinking Will Smith is anything but a stupid actor named Will Smith.
Also that girl in the second movie's nosejob was terrible.

In fairness, I heard she was a nightmare to work with.

3 wasn't that bad

The comics were way better.

Attached: x on tg.jpg (1006x2338, 1.02M)

>promise
??

it was always mediocre normalfag commedy

I guess she wasn't a harvey's girl so he could teach her some manners.

This

MIB III was comfy as fuck. Fuck you.

>first movie felt more real and down to earth
Ed Solomon.

the first two were great and the third one was alright.

Really needed that crossover with 21 Jump Street. Would have been 100% confirmed kino

The sequels lack a good script. The first film is more "real", has a good balance between the terrifying, paranormal and comedy. In addition, the CGI was getting worse with the passing of the movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=UqH98xCazf4

At least we still have the cartoon.

What could have been.

MIB was a victim of the times.
1 was good and popular
2 was your typical more of the same sequels that all other movie franchises went through at the time, which made them shit
3 was a genuine effort to make it back again, but people can't simply forget the travesty that is 2

Two movies and a cartoon series WAS a franchise, back then.

It's shit

Damn this movie looks good in 4k. Everything came together in this film. Good solid script, good actors, good effects and like other anons have pointed out, good balance between comedy and the grotesque.

I recall rumors that Tommy Lee refused to be in it, if she was. She might have also balked at doing love scenes with Smith, which is why Dawson was brought in. She wasn't really that important to the spirit of the movies - Smith and Jones were, with Rip Taylor - that was the focus and appeal of the movie. Fiorentio's part could have been played by anyone, really. There was no chemistry between her and anyone else in the movie.
II had some good parts to it - David Cross's character, Agent T, Shaloub, etc. The overall story was weak, but it wasn't completely awful.

>Rip Taylor
I hope you meant Rip Torn.

I don't know if it's a meme or not but that mistake seems to happen a lot.

The problem was to bring Tommy back. His arc was complete at the end of 1, and taking that away from his character in 2 just for a cashgrab, it's sad and frustrating.

And yes, Fiorentino's role could be done by anyone, but it was also part of her character to get out of that morgue job. It was obvious that she wanted to get more involved with paranormal things.