At what point will people collectively just reject copyright law outright...

At what point will people collectively just reject copyright law outright? In the Information Age almost everyone has pirated something at least once and years of propaganda from billionaires has failed to sway everyone COMPLETELY (although a lot of people still passively think piracy is wrong), so how long until people just say fuck it and stop caring entirely

Attached: 2BF8AE85-C387-43ED-8EF7-3DC38E0040A6.jpg (500x600, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/01/a-whole-years-worth-of-works-just-fell-into-the-public-domain/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

As soon as streaming services go under and the only alternatives are so full of ads that they are identical to a typical television station.

>At what point will people collectively just reject copyright law outright?
Anyone not an NPC or tech illiterate boomer already does. Some people will always be brainwashed consumers though.

It's already happened in China dude.

Never, because most people have a sense of decency. Just because you'll never create anything worth anything, doesn't mean creators should have their ideas stolen. Fucking communist scum.
The laws should definitely be reformed though.

/thread

I'm using adblock to steal some ad-free Yea Forums right now, feels good man.

>stealing an intangible concept like ideas
By this logic you’re stealing anytime you tell a friend a joke or recount the plot of a film

Nope. Whenever someone starts a rebuttal with 'by that logic' usually the next things they say are fucking retarded. Thanks for living up to that.
Me too. Don't think it's against copyright law to do that.

please sign here this non compete goy, you can't use anything that is in your own fucking head. No, we are too much of a jew not to treat like shit and pay a decent salary, we like to profit from your slave work, thank you very much.

>t levandovski

how the fuck is this legal?

how the fuck is Yea Forums supposed to sustain itself without ads? You're just making excuses. Whatever product the producer decides to sell you is the one you must buy at full price.

when companies stop making billions off their IPs and stop spending millions retaining lawyers for to help maintain them. So never.

Of course, for the little guy, it's already gone. I have a youtube channel and sometimes people will out right steal my stuff, post it on their own channel in some kind of completion and get tons of views and ad revenue. One guy even has a Patreon. I try to leave comments, send messages and emails to these people to let them know it's not cool or at least give me credit or a link, but I get no where. I try and be as nice as possible, thinking I'd get further with honey than vinegar,ya know? But it never works.

One guy was a real dick, so I actually filed a copyright claim on him, and he fought it. He had no right to, but apparently even though he took my ENTIRE 5 minute video and played it IN FULL, it was only 5 minutes of a 20 minute video full other other entire videos played in full, so the video remained up and he has it monetized.

The rules only apply to major business, and it will more than likely always apply to them as long as there's money to be made. For the rest of us, get fucked.

Oh, so you’re just baiting and don’t actually have an argument? Corporations shouldn’t be allowed to control things that are in your head. From birth they shove that shit inside through constant advertisement exposure and you don’t always have a choice in the matter, especially as a child. Yet you’re then expected to police yourself and others culturally and the government is expected to police you literally over how you use that information

I'm an NPC and I pirate.

You hurt the site

>Corporations shouldn’t be allowed to control things that are in your head.
Copyright law was made to protect creators. Just because people abuse it like they abuse absolutely everything they possibly can, doesn't make it wrong. People's creations should be protected from people trying to exploit for profit. Fuck off communist.
>how the fuck is Yea Forums supposed to sustain itself without ads?
What the fuck are you talking about? Ads have nothing to do with copyrights. Go away you dumb child.

The site is a producer and I'm the customer. If something I do hurts them, that's their problem.

I will NEVER have a moral obligation to pay more for an inferior product. That's a bizarre inversion of the free market.

>Ads have nothing to do with copyrights.
so you're saying Yea Forums is a "free" product?

>that's their problem.
So what happens when your adblocker stops working?

>muh protecting creators

Nina Paley makes cartoons inspired by classic jazz and other music. Meanwhile she can’t actually make money off of them since despite being dead for decades now, these artist’s songs are still owned by media conglomerates and to use them as a backing track for a cartoon would open you up to ages of lawsuits. So tell me, who does it actually protect, artists who are inspired by the work of other creators, or corporations that stranglehold the work of a dead man for more than 90 years

>so you're saying
Pathetic. I'm saying ads have nothing to do with copyrights. If you're going to strawman, don't try to tell me what I'm saying. Use some subtlety, dumbass. Actually, just stop replying. You're too fucking dumb to hold a conversation.

Well done for managing to read the first sentence, adhd zoomer.

I read the entire thing. Your entire argument boils down to some vague notion that being anti-copyright law is a communist approach. Meanwhile, copyright law is one of the worst restrictions on the free market to ever have existed. It’s literally state mandated thought control

Using a paid product for free is stealing.
>use some subtlety
what?

Never faggots, make your own shit up and stop piggybacking off old ideas

I'd probably stop using the site, an even bigger problem for them.

Just make your own shit, you just want to be able to steal other people's ideas.
People here bitch about too many remakes and reboots and it will literally make EVERYTHING a remake/reboot/sequel.

It might be fun to guess this guy's age, he'll get madder as we get closer.

I'm thinking almost Biden tier, 70+

>le NPC
Anyone that isn't a shortsighted zoomer brainwashed by ecelebs that want to make money off other people's creations supports copyright law.

>just make your own shit
That was my point, user. People make shit inspired by other shit. Part of the creative process and part of simply being human is reaction and response. Paley makes cartoons based off of jazz music and the like. 99% of the grunt work there is something original on her part, the music is just there to underlay the theme of her work. And the “BLUH BLUH MAKE YOUR OWN SHIT” argument is incredibly stupid when we have companies that never made anything swooping up IPs and making fat bank off of the virtue of them owning ideas

>I read the entire thing
But you somehow missed the very next sentence where I admitted it gets abused? In my first post I said it needed to be reformed.
So who do you think is going to create shit when the things they create can just be copied and they see no benefit from creating it? Not many people. Your way is stagnation, commie.

How old are you? 12?
>n-noo my favorite ecelebs need to be able to use clips from fricking movies!! Copyright law bad!
All I know is, this shit will not work out in your favor once Disney starts stealing independent ideas lmao

Cringe

Is it against copyright law? You don't understand the topic so go away.

>inspired
Inspiration is not the same thing and you know it.
STOP EXPECTING PEOPLE TO LET YOU USE THEIR IDEAS FOR FREE

I didn't realize we were arguing the particulars of copyright law. "durr make your own shit" is not copyright law either.

hmm, pretty mad but not nuclear. I'm guessing less than a decade off, about 62-65?

>make an animation based around a song I enjoy
>get fucked in the ass by 50+ corporations despite the fact the person who sang it has completely decomposed by now

Lol that's fucking funny. Yea Forums is gaining traffic every day and the ads are only getting more aggressive. Leave and go back to plebbit or wherever because your absence won't be noticed.

You don't realise a lot of things, brainlet. This is my last reply to you.

>NOOOOOOO YOU CAN’T OWN AN IDEA NOOOOOO

Attached: 5277EACB-B85C-420A-8458-E22D18EE3295.jpg (1080x1020, 191K)

sure it's fine now, but what if everyone did that? Pretty sure that's the argument against piracy.

You can do that as much as you like. What the fuck are you talking about?

Not if you want to make money off of it.

They haven't and they won't. Ads aren't what makes most people pirate.

Exactly. So do it if you want. If you're making it for yourself, why do you need to make money from it? And if you want to make money from it, use your own work. Fucking leech.

>you don’t like copyright law? How are artists supposed to make money??
>you can’t make money off of your work? Well you see you used a song by a long dead man owned by a conglomerate so you deserve this

Already been through this kiddo

Yeah and people will keep supporting the film, vidya and music industries regardless of piracy, because some people find it worthwhile to buy licensed merch, a cinema ticket, or proprietary software. There's no reason the two can't coexist, it's a pretty good system except that greedy businesses keep trying to stamp out vastly more efficient, similar quality products that the free market provides us.

I had something similar happen to me.

I was commissioned to shoot a guitar playthrough for a band's upcoming song. I even got the band's guitarist to play it.
So I shot and edited it all, then uploaded to Youtube as an unlisted video so the band can look over it without having to download anything or worry about permissions ect. They can also pass it around to their producers/family/friends for feedback before we do a final export for their official youtube page.
I got a automated copyright claim on the video for the music, and it got taken down.

The band commissioned it, it was their guitarist, and it was unlisted. How and why is this technology being used this way?
Ended up just using Google drive... which uploads the video in a youtube embedded player ಠ_ಠ. But whatever, now they can watch it and send feedback.

I'll never understand.

I've seen you in many threads and you never engage with anyone, I doubt you have the capacity to do anything but call names and repeat your utterly simplistic views. Your intellect appears to be bot level.

No, you just lack an argument

Yeah that's my whole point that the rest of these morons can't understand. It's a good system that's been fucked by corrupt cunts, just like everything else that has money involved.

That's youtubes algorithms, I guess. It's a problem but it's youtubes problem.

No, you just lack reading comprehension.

You're a dumbass

nothing will ever be done collectively

I make YouTube videos analysis and use way more footage than necessary to give my subscribers a better viewing experience. I won many copyright appeals on it. Something so trivial that isn’t meant to replace the film shouldn’t have to abide by strict copyright requirements. Not gonna shill so don’t ask for my channel name.

I’ve addressed every point you’ve brought up and you just keep clinging on to your contradictory viewpoint and retorting with “haha retard”

>I won many copyright appeals on it.
Don't you get penalised if you lose the appeal? How do you know you're going to win?

Did you address where I said copyright law is corrupt as fuck and needs to be reformed?

It's still someone else's work your using for your own gain. It's harsh, and people that haven't created anything original can't relate, that's fine, but there's nothing more disheartening than spending weeks working on something just to have a 20 something play it under their 'analysis' video essay for patreon bucks. Then say it's "transformative" or something.

Make you're own stuff. If your subscribers are actually there for you and your thoughts then you should need to rely on other people's work to keep them interested.

Dog fucker?

Yes, because that was your thesis. By retorting your evidence in support of your thesis and against mine I addressed it by association.

>it’s disheartening for people to critique my work or praise it wtf!!! GOVERNMENT COME SAVE ME

>I need to use footage from the movie or else no one will listen to me talk. COPYRIGHT NO~

No it wasn't. Holy fuck are you just trying to sound smart now? My thesis was copyright law is good for creators. The addendum was that corrupt people ruined it, just like they ruin everything. Can you stop? It's getting boring explaining the same thing over and over to you retarded commies.

I’m not a communist. Everyone else in this thread agreed that you’re being retarded here. You keep going off on random bullshit without actually making an argument that isn’t contradictory. You’re basically a corporate shill personified.

Nice digits though

RLM and Rolfe have it down pretty well. Show the trailer and a few specific shots to illustrate points. This whole zoomer 'video essay analysis' stuff is piss poor and relying on talking over footage for 25 minutes with an ad break every 8 minutes is proof of it.

baring Plinkett of course. That's the same deal, but at least he intercut with interviews of people and whatever that hooker thing was in part 3. I was referring more to Half in the back and BotW

Okay, here's the thing. If your animation is worth a damn, it also protects you from having a large corporation just plain steal it and use it to make, for instance an ad.
Because let's be clear, you can point out how unfair it is for small creators who fight the big bad corporation, but if copyright is free, it's a free for all. And big corporations will always hold 99,9999999% of the cards.

>Everyone else in this thread agreed that you’re being retarded here
You think I'm the only one posting this? Utter fucking retard.
>without actually making an argument that isn’t contradictory
Point out the contradiction and I'll totally concede my point and pirate everything from now on.

If it’s a takedown notice than yeah but usually it’s just them wanting money with no view restrictions.
My videos never go past nine minutes as I have adhd
Nah I actually have knowledge of films before 1990
Every piece of footage I use is to illustrate points with the opening clip providing g the viewer a sense of what the film is like.

Well if you beat the algorithms, good work. That shit is cancer.

Nah I’m under 5k subs but make enough to warrant the hobby.

Goyim are genetically predisposed to be bootlicker slaves so never

heads up, your videos will be hit in the next year or 2. Just how this works. As youtube continues to try to push itself into mainstream acceptance (think boomers and people that consume media exclusively through their smart tv, not us nerds) They will crack down on people like you. Honestly surprised haven't been hit yet.

Best rule to keep in mind is to treat your video as if it were to air on broadcast TV. That's what youtube is shooting for, so you have to play around it.

Think "could having 80% of visual footage of my video taken from another source fly on TV? I guess MST3000, but that's only movies no one cares about." Answer is almost always no with your kind of video essay.

Enjoy the patreon dollars now, and learn to work a DSLR, cause you're gonna need it soon.

Be a musician.
Spend years practicing hard.
Build a small following.
Finally make a song that really grabs people.
It becomes popular, it's going to be a hit.
There's no copyright laws.
Disney just steals it and has one of their artist record it.
It makes millions.
You don't see a dime.

>Thank God we got rid of those terrible copyright laws!

>'Point out the contradiction'
>no response
Fucking coward.

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/01/a-whole-years-worth-of-works-just-fell-into-the-public-domain/
Stop supporting Disney just because it's vogue to watch shitty live-action reboots and superhero flicks. Stand up for yourselves for once

Be a comic artist.
Spend years creating a compelling webcomic.
Finally it gets popular
There's no copyright laws.
Netflix makes a highly successful TV show with your work
You don't see a dime.

>Yeah, stupid copyright!

If it happens it happens. I don’t have a Patreon and make the money from ad revenue. If anything I’ll just make only one video a month. I only made it to discuss films.

Why did you post this? The first example was fine.

I was going to post a bunch, but got bored. There was one for a graphic designer, another for a writer...

I don't think it matters how many you post to be honest. Some of these retards simply won't get it because they have never and will never create something worth anything.

Eh. In these boards sometimes you have to repeat your point several times because people tend to ignore shit.

if youre discussing films you should already know how to work a camera and line up a decent shot.

I'm not even talking big set pieces, but set up a desk, some nice lighting, cut back and forth. Then you won't have to worry about copyright or defending your style of video.

Id probably try it again but when I did that I kept obsessing over small things like how my expression looked during recording or framing. Took me way too long to just decide simple things. Way too OCD for that.

that's part of the process, man. I didn't even upload my first 3 videos. I just made them, saw where I could improve, then started the next one.

I currently have 53 uploaded videos now, and find it's almost natural getting in front of a camera and coming off confident. It's all practice.

t. Butthurt NPC

I support copyright law, but not to the extent it's at now. It's fucking insane right now. Movies, book, music should enter the public domain fifty years after they're released.

Don't tell me your videos consist of you staring into camera and talking? Either make an interesting video, montage of the topics you talk about or do an audio podcast for god sake, nobody want's to watch a face open it's mouth for 10 minutes.

Who the fuck let you out of your cage you filthy rat?

Attached: 1548802566986.jpg (448x456, 60K)

I’ll try it.

Imagine supporting laws that don't directly financially benefit you. I thought people like you were a meme

>If you shoot your own footage it must be 2009 tier static webcam shot
lol imagine being this creatively shallow. Wouldn't have been able to work on this full time if that were the case.
Anyway, I'm out, best of luck

You could actually make a lot of money selling Netflix's show as your own.

Disney controls marketing and distribution because of copyright. If your version is more popular and Disney can't claim it belongs to them, you'll make money distributing or, god forbid, actually performing music yourself.

I have a life outside of this board, user. I was in class. I already pointed out the contradiction.

Nnaaaaaaaa

>have a sense of decency.
there is nothing decent about buying the rights to a dead mans legacy, that is kikery of the highest order and I will not respect it.

>You could actually make a lot of money selling Netflix's show as your own.
If I can just, I don't know, grab Stranger Things, and monetize it on youtube for free, you know what would happen? No more Stranger Things. No more Netflix producing anything.

>Disney controls marketing and distribution because of copyright. If your version is more popular and Disney can't claim it belongs to them, you'll make money distributing or, god forbid, actually performing music yourself.

No matter how amazing I am, their big bucks will always make their version better marketed. And sure, I can make some money with what everybody will assume is a cover of that Justin Bieber or Ariana Grande song. So can anyone else with a guitar now.
There would be no point on creating new music, since it will immediately belong to everybody.

When most people talk about abolishing copyright law they don’t mean in the sense of monetizing someone else’s work wholesale. They’re talking about preventing ownership of vague concepts and identities and allowing for free distribution of digital media

Also as far as stranger things goes you can google it in 5 seconds and find a website to watch it for free. People still pay for Netflix

>There would be no point on creating new music, since it will immediately belong to everybody.
Do you know how many songs were created before copyright law, user

Believe it or not, 99% of people are unable to learn how to torrent a tv show. That's why Netlix and Amazon are still in business... it's not the good will of their clients.

Less than you think. In medieval times it was Greensleeves 24/7. Blues music was pretty much the same song with slight modifications over and over.

never, those laws arent there to prevent you from pirating but to reap any profit made by people wrongly using said copyrighted material.

companies make too much money going after idiots like you that dont understand this and negligently use copyrighted materials. they wont go after jo shmo putting a custom made sticker of barney rubble on his car or even selling a few to his friends but they absolutely will if said item is generating a significant amount of money for them to steal.

Oh so you’re a brainlet

>oh man I love the feel of corporate cock tickling my esophagus!

>get rid of copyright law
>no monetary incentive whatsoever for people to take the massive risks required for most major inventions
>everything stagnates
Great idea. If you want to pirate, go ahead. I do it, you do it, almost everyone here has surely done it at least once. Just don't be a fag and try to pretend like you're leading some righteous crusade against evil copyright laws. We all want to save money. No need to justify it further

its not that they dont know how its just that its way easier to pay a subscription than it is to to go through the trouble of torrenting.

>nobody ever invented anything before copyright laws
>people only invent things today because of copyright laws
based literal retard

When the means for storing and reproducing media, like the printer, were created, that established a need for the rights of the creators to be protected. One thing went with the other.
Because, crazy enough, when you devote a lot of work to something, you'd actually like to benefit from it.

Is paying easier than just going to yotube and watching it for free?

What, you think the prospect of striking it rich isn't the major incentive behind most of today's inventions? Obviously humans have been inventing things long before copyright law, but most of that was driven by necessity. Black plague devastated your population and left you with fewer hands to work the fields? Better invent more efficient agriculture techniques. Meanwhile, look at something like Steve Jobs and Apple. Their major innovations were driven by a desire for profit, or at least a desire to be well-compensated for their work. Also , of course. If you go through the individual work and endure the risks, then you should be the one to benefit. And all in all, there's no need to have this conversation when it pertains to piracy. Anyone who tries to say that they pirate most of their media for moral reasons is a liar, and we all know it. And that's not an issue, because most of us can pirate without having to make some flimsy excuse. Looking at my bank account balance is enough incentive for me

>saves your spot
>can be used on a multitude of devices with a simple and versatile UI (YouTube on a roku sucks balls)
>a catalogue and easy saving for later
>better auto play
>don’t have to navigate to find things

Nice, I better just pirate the code, put it in my website for free with access to all the films in the world and get rich through ads with minimal effort.

>but user, a website? How will I watch rapidly and efficiently on my TV?

Oh, right,. I should just rip the app code too.

yes. pointed out obvious aspects but even then youtube is riddled with more ads than ever and has varying quality. sometimes its perfect most of the time its hazy. then in order for the person hosting the account to avoid detection they have to split up a single episode into multiple videos and sometimes one of those will taken down so good luck finishing your show.

>why should we bring your app to our roku store?
>well you see, it does everything Netflix does
>our people would just use Netflix though
>but mine is free!
>so we wouldn’t make any money from it at all?
>b-but...
You’re an actual retard

Imagine if every kino ever made was copyright free. Streaming services would compete for the best app, best marketing, best way to provide you with every possible HD stream or download, from silent films to foreign films to new releases.

Most movies and TV are completely forgotten so the exposure alone would reignite traditional media sales.

The Netflix app is free.

it doesn't work for free

That makes no difference to the roku store.

Are you actually retarded? You’re proposing a 1:1 copy of Netflix with no profit motive, they won’t want to include it because they won’t make any money at all. You think roku includes the Netflix app out of the kindness of their hearts? They get a cut

No, they include it because there would be no point on a roku player without it.

amazing how they make any money. I guess plenty of businesses survive on free content, like this site.

This site produces zero content. All the content is produced by the users, and even then it's zero quality.

Yet as a business it's thriving. Publishing companies should be mere forums like this one, they know nothing about art as Disney loves to remind us.

>Yet as a business it's thriving.

>hundreds of millions of visitors
>not thriving

Leftist blacklisting keeps the ad revenue down, big deal. This site is a huge success.

ATARI TEENAGE RIOT

I would say never. What would be the incentive for a creator to do anything? I mean, seriously, why would they do this shit if they were never to be paid. Someone has to be a real customer.
>inb4 shut up shlomo, stop defending corporations
I am not, I would like the model Radiohead once tried to be more popular - you can pay whatever you want for their album. On average they got like 5 quid per downloaded album, which was more than their publisher would pay them at the time.

But radiohead’s Model is how it would work without copyright and as it has worked for millennia of human history without copyright. Artists in times of autocracy had to get rich patrons, but in more democratic systems simply performed for the people. A “pay what you want” system would just be a modern day reflection of that.