Watching some Red Dwarf seasons I never got to

Watching some Red Dwarf seasons I never got to.
Serious question: What race are Dave and the Cat?
Are they black? I honestly can't tell.
Why are 2 out of 3 human characters in this British show black?
And why is the only white character a complete smeg head?
I genuinely like this show, but that part of it is fucking weird.

Attached: well?.png (1625x882, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=393C3pr2ioY
youtube.com/watch?v=LlU4FuIJT2k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The cat's actor I beleive has parents from Ghana and the west indies and lister is just a quadroon from liverpool

Dave is from Liverpool, if you ever go there you will know he perfectly represents a race called Scousers

Dave is mixed race, fitting for being from future Earth. Rimmer is from the rich human colony on Io and fittingly white.

Craig Charles (Dave) was born in Liverpool to a Guyanese father and Irish mother. Danny (Cat) is fully black, don't know specifically what- google it.
>Why are 2 out of 3 human characters in this British show black?
Who knows and who cares? The dynamic of the characters works well. This was back during the time when the BBC for the most part just cast whoever was suitable rather than forcing in racial quotas- same with brit Yea Forums in general. Remember, this was a BBC that had blackface on multiple Yea Forums shows later on, so they were not that bothered with being PC.
>And why is the only white character a complete smeg head?
Is Kryten not white? I know he's a robot but he's played by a white guy. There's only one human character on the show remember. And if you get to season 8 there's a whole cast of white characters. Don't know if you ever did get there so I won't spoil why

It's not anti white, lister is not portrayed well honestly OP must not be anglo because race relations are different.

I guess that makes sense, but there's a plot hole.
All the crew of Red Dwarf per-disaster were white as far as I can remember.
I can't say with certainty, but what I can say is the vast majority were just as white as Rimmer

Craig Charles is half caste.

I'm anglo Australian.
We have a shitload of Chinese here, but not many blacks.
So casting the main characters of a show as mainly black without any sort of context to explain it is really weird to me.
Even if they were all Chinese it'd be a bit weird, although maybe understandable since asians are big in the tech sector

Exactly, all the characters are idiots in their own way, and they never go down the cheap route of racial stereotypes. Maybe some English region based ones but never racial. Red Dwarf is a an example of how to put nonwhite characters into a show without making it preachy or cringy

Most of the crew are highly skilled and probably from rich colonist backgrounds considering the Red Dwarf is run by Jupiter Mining Corp.

it's not even that, they were not segregated from whites like in the US, they are culturally the same and I'd argue American influence is causing a divide. Though they still rape and murder at a massively higher level statistically than their white counterparts they at least go to football matches together

Lay off with the star trek crap, it's too early in the morning. Needless exposition for a comedy show makes me want to kill all you autistic fans looking at places best left unexplored

i don't normally say this, but i think you unironically need to have sex. red dwarf is fine.

Why does it matter what colour their skin is?

Lister v Rimmer rivalry was always based on class snobbery, not race.

Lister was the working class scouser, and Rimmer was the tryhard middle-upper class snob.
Their characters are perfect for this show.

Racial relations in the UK have definitely gotten worse since we imported african american hip-hop type "culture" that glorifies crime, black segregation and hating on whites, along with importing SJW college culture which is teaching all the racial minorities how "privileged" whitey is and how they need to rise up against us- despite there being no inherent discrimination against racial minorities in the UK these days

It never bothered me, and it still doesn't bother me since I think all the characters are cast superbly.
But I still think it's weird

So, What is it?

What? No. Shut up. The crew is shown to exhibit working class British behaviour on many occasions. The officers are probably all rich but the miners are working class- you really think they would be fucking mining otherwise? Not exactly a cushy job. Stop headcannoning stupid shit

>But I still think it's weird

I hate blacks as much as the next guy but weird it isn't, lister acts exactly like a white Scouser. The BBC wasn't taken over by jews completely till about 1997

Lister's mates are all white, and all as low class as him

>But I still think it's weird
sounds like your problem. There's no reason it would be weird so unless you can actually articulate why this discussion is pointless

Exactly. I don't know where the guy I replied to is getting the idea that they are all "rich colonialists". Sounds like something the PC brigade at my uni would say

>headcannoning

The worse thing about people doing this is it bleeds into the end result. Imagine how many lazy writers just curb crawl these faggots to find out how they want everything sewed up in a bow.

cat isnt black cat is cat

I haven't watched the latest 'Dave' seasons of Dwarf, but I really hope it hasn't gotten preachy in any way. I watched one season of the reboot series and thought it was kinda shit. Anyone know if it got any better?

That's hard to remember considering they make no effort other than dental prosthesis to distinguish him from humans

He actually read a book on cat behavior before the first series so he could better act like a cat, spraying the walls with his scent and playing with his food like cats do.

I'm watching back to earth right now.
It feels like Red Dwarf, but something is a bit off about it, like they lost their mojo.
It feels almost like they recorded it in front of a studio audience for a laugh track, then decided not to use the laugh track, so there's weird pauses everywhere

Lister is the only human left. Rimmer is a hologram, Kryten is an android, the cat is a cat. I would argue Holly is sort of a main character, and he's a computer. He's also white so yet again the idea of OP that this show is taken over by black people somehow is stupid. Including Holly, only 2/5 characters are black. I don't personally even care but I'm just stating that for the sake of OP maybe understanding that the premise of this thread is wrong from the get-go

Don't watch anything after the two show creators split up, it only gets worse. Really you'd be doing yourself a favor. It gets less comedy more fan service for dumb scifi fans that want to know what the Jupiter Mining Corporations quarterly returns were AND if they were NEAQ compliant

It's a series with four or five main characters. If you can't remember basic things about them like Rimmer is a hologram and Cat is a cat then you really are a bit of a mong.

Holly isn't exactly white
I remember an episode where he pretended to be a strict black guy
Queeg?

Back to Earth is aids. No one liked it. Anyway I wasn't talking about back to Earth, I was referring to the Dave run of the show which brings back the studio audience format. Only saw the first season of it but found it shit

My god you are grasping at straws. He became black as a joke to fool the crew into doing all that hard labour. Queeg is a fucking great episode, one of the best. That's the only time it happens though. Are you seriously going to argue that because of the episode 'Queeg', that Holly isn't white? Come the fuck on

>all

I said most of the crew, not all. Besides, the only reason I brought this topic up is in response to other posters, stop being triggered over a bit of fan speculation. It is not being stated as fact.

I mean, sure, but he also spent a whole season as a woman, didn't he?

This all sounds so woke before it's time.

he spends far more than a season as a woman. I think you need to go back and watch the show again. Either way, so what if the character became a woman? Female Holly was no where near as good but she played a smaller role so it was ok. We also had Kryten by that point so the best version of the main cast was set. Also, the reason Holly became female was because the actor who played him previously was a douche and hard to work with, and also was griping about his salary. It's not like some BBC exec said "we need some womyn power on the show!". But yeah, yet again, I feel like you should go back and watch the show. how long since you did?

You talking to millenial culture warriors, everything is a nefarious political conspiracy to them and theyre weirdly obsessed with blacks and shemales.

Cat's race is cat and show me a whitey that can pull purple suit with fur and frills - you can't. The dude showed up for casting in such suit. Show me an anglo, any anglo that can do such wardrobe without being cringe as shit.
And Lister's race is Liverpoolian, down to smalest detail and character trait.

I’ve never seen it before, no one has! I’m guessing it’s a white hole,

>show me a whitey that can pull purple suit with fur and frills - you can't

Attached: th.jpg (474x379, 25K)

I wouldn't mind smashing in a few little white holes if you sniff my drift

>spraying the walls with his scent
Shit, I am already giggling.

A white hole?

I found this by googling "cool white rapper"
youtube.com/watch?v=393C3pr2ioY

And this via "white rapper"
youtube.com/watch?v=LlU4FuIJT2k

They're both black. I like that it is never addressed in any way. Race representation is undoubtedly worse now

don't bring this 2010s paranoid bullshit into red dwarf
this post hurt my soul

It's just that most of the UK was white in the 90s

The Cat is a fucking cat.

84 boomer here. red dwarf was great as a kid.

i never even thought twice about what race anyone was supposed to be, no one ever mentioned it either in the show or outside or it in a way that i can't possibly imagine today.

Yeah just like you boomer fuckers never consider you're ruining the environment or economy with your buying 5 houses each bullshit

Dave is a Chicken Vindaloo and Cat is a cat.

Red Dwarf was stunning and brave

i rent actually cause i get bored of being in the same place quickly. i work freelance for 6 months a year (enough to clear $40k which is all i need really) then spend the rest of the time surfing or travelling with my girlfriend.

sometimes i feel like we should settle down, but then i see how miserable everyone else is and book another plane ticket to vietnam or wherever.

This. The fact that Lister was black never even entered my mind. I literally just thought of him as a scouser

I love red dwarf but now that I think about it...it is anti white culture marxism......trhis is disgusting adn offensive and I hate it now. they are Cucks

I could never watch the last seasons made. They were pure cringe. Fat Kryten just annoyed me.

yeah I found the dave era really poor as well, always been baffled that it seems to have been so well received. too many generic sitcom jokes

>I haven't watched the latest 'Dave' seasons of Dwarf, but I really hope it hasn't gotten preachy in any way. I watched one season of the reboot series and thought it was kinda shit. Anyone know if it got any better?
Back to Earth was utterly shit. X was an improvement with a couple of decent laughs, but something wasn't quite right. The last two were filmed back to back and actually felt better, like they'd gotten back into a decent rhythm. Not as funny as the old ones at their best, but they felt the most like old Dwarf.