Ok I admit it. I just got filtered, Hard

Ok I admit it. I just got filtered, Hard.

Attached: seventh seal.jpg (540x810, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NS4fuMZ4IkY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_art_cinema
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's shit, everyone knows that.

The art house movie everyone pretends to like

im not even a pretentious foreign movie guy, but I really enjoyed this film

this is one of the most easily accessible arthouse films while still being excellent, that is why it remains a well known and well regarded classic

This was actually my first Bergman, very watchable, the action flows smoothly and even though I didn't feel like I got everything, the main themes were pretty clear.
Other Bergman movies on the other hand.. oh boy

Think about what you watched. Think about the questions you have about it. Now make the intelligent assumption that you're not necessarily smarter or more knowledgeable than the writer and director of the film, and that the questions you have are the questions the artists intended you to have. Now seek the answers to your questions either A) within the film, or B) by broadening your knowledge of the culture from which it draws. This is what it means to engage with a film instead of merely passively watching it. Such films are meant to expand your mind, sharpen your wits, and broaden your knowledge. Art encourages one to think; empty entertainment insists that one does not.

Attached: 1488107610524.gif (360x202, 2.79M)

Watch Persona next, it'll help you understand.

You're just very dumb shits. I'm pretty stupid and I thought it was fun, sometimes funny.

>I thought it was fun, sometimes funny.
I think that's the issue, people expect uberserious european high art kinography but get something different instead.

Kino

how is it arthouse? It's every accessible and entertaining

arthouse is a bit of an outdated term, however, the seventh seal is very much an arthouse film

It’s in black and white with subtitles

But it's such an enjoyable watch

would you care to explain how? Honestly watching The Seventh Seal I always thought it felt like watching a Terrence Hill/Bud Spencer film for some reason.

And I will have one small fries with that, thanks.

Watch Winter Light - the greatest cinematic masterpiece

Unironically based

So is Venom when I watch it on my oldass tv with subtittles

literally just look up the definition/wiki page for "art film"

Cries and Whispers made a bigger impression on me. There're so many scenes in it where you can't completely articulate the emotional impact of the symbolism because it's saying so much at once in such a minimal way
youtu.be/NS4fuMZ4IkY

No it’s not, it’s just a foreign film and you are retarded.

Is this a state of modern ameritards? It's not even Persona, it's not arthouse, just a good movie.

Art house is a meaningless term that english speaking people cling to when they want to look smart. It speaks volumes about the state of the industry. See also character actor, which means ugly actor.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_art_cinema
a film doesn't have to be wildly experimental or incomprehensible to be an art film.

Yes it does

good post that "intelligent" anons will overlook because it "doesn't apply to them"

This is a good filter movie. If you like it, you are probably self-actualized and above average intelligence.

If you dont like it, you probably are dumb and are the type of person to have edgy opinions on ideals but embody none of them.

you might be right, but you sound like a condescending little fag

This is a good post. The worst thing people can do is binge movies. At most I will watch 2 a week and stew on them heavily after

I like shitposting

An edgy analogy for this movie to help OP is Joker talking about why he uses a knife to batman and how it shows him who people really are.

This is the same thing. The plague destroyed the masks people wore to make civilization function and showed who they truly were. They were either just doing the motions with no real belief beyond the physical world or are true cowards who believe only in an afterlife because they are so afraid of death.

This is a big display for the crusader as he duels death. In the end, the couple lives on because they were simply genuine and not wearing a mask. It is supposed to be what everyone should strive to be. Death will come but we can't be hedonists or death cultists. There is an inbetween that doesn't require a mask.

You were not filtered, my fellow user. Just give it another try for your sake. This time, don't think about it as the super-existential european black and white film.
Just watch it and think about it. It's a very viewer "friendly" film. The themes are plainly but elegantly laid out, through its characters, and you don't have to overthink anything. Appreciate it for being an existential film which switches from a light to a dark atmosphere back and forth, without sacrificing its themes.
As other anons have already said, you probably were expecting a very heavy film with obscure meaning or something while the film is not complicated at all, but with substance nonetheless.

It makes me sad that Seventh Seal is most people's only exposure to Bergman, and that most people who do enjoy it think the strengths of it are its meaning, symbols and aesthetics. That people actually consider Bergman as more of an intellectual than an emotional pursuit.

Bergman was a great filmmaker because of his brilliant character drama, the emotions of his films, his exploration of the human condition and our relationships with one another. He illicted incredible performances from his actors and the humanity of his films are their greatest strength. Not what they 'mean'.

His real masterpieces are work like Scenes from a Marriage, Summer with Monika, and Through a Glass Darkly.

I think too often Bergman is little more than a flex and an intellectual exercise to people who watch his films, when they go on about what they 'mean', and not even in human terms, not in relation to the characters, but about abstract ideas. Which is sad.

Attached: SummerenMedMonika.jpg (1600x900, 708K)

>Now make the intelligent assumption that you're not necessarily smarter or more knowledgeable than the writer and director of the film
But I am

>2 a week
i manage maybe 3 a year, been meaning to go back and watch all the classics though

I haven't watched a kinograph since I watched Showgirls in the 90s. I'm still working on my book about it. I'm 1300 pages in.

You can tell pseuds who have never watched it if they start spouting how incredibly depressing this movie is.

1 movie a day is more than adequate if you don't have double digit IQ.

shit I watch 2-3 a day..so much movies, so little time.

based

When do you work?

good shit user

I study at uni, so plenty of time

how do you find good movies to watch though? maybe it's just me, but i literally can't watch a movie unless i'm excited about it, and barely anything excites me.

well I'm lucky I have a friend who has similar film tastes as me, we both recommend each other 3 or so films for the week and then that becomes the incentive to actually watch them or else we have to pay one another

most filmmakers make more than one great film so explore common threads with directors. or actors you really like.

For example, did you like Manchester by the Sea?
Kenneth Lonnergan's other two films, you can count on me, and margaret, are both very good as well, and similar.

but i bet you haven't seen those right? why is that?

Ken Loach I think does that sort of realism very well too, if you like Manchester by the sea, you'd like Kes, I, Daniel Blake and The Wind That Shakes The Barley. Also maybe look at films that win awards from other festivals around the globe, not even the winners but the nominees too.

>so explore common threads with directors. or actors you really like
yeah, i just recently started to try this. it works sometimes

>but i bet you haven't seen those right? why is that?
i already said i can't watch things i'm not hyped for, I've been disappointed too many times and I've probably turned off more movies in the first 15 minutes than i have actually seen all the way through. not trying to sound like a jerk, but 90 minutes to 2 hours is a long time to waste on something you arent interested in, so i'm really picky, it may take me 6 months of hearing good reviews and praise for a film to finally get me to see it. maybe i'm just jaded, idk

i'm on this page already lad. loved those loach films you mention and i have a geeze at the films at major festivals each year

>it may take me 6 months of hearing good reviews and praise for a film to finally get me to see it.
seems like you just want to be in touch with a cultural zeitgiest rather than seeing quality things by any objective standard, or even your personal taste.

>seems like you just want to be in touch with a cultural zeitgiest rather than seeing quality things by any objective standard, or even your personal taste.
no that's not it all, i would watch way more movies if that was the case. like i said, i'm just extremely picky, and hearing good things about a film from many different sources over an extended period of time is a good indicator that there is something to it.