"The only exciting thing about 2002 is that it's a palindrome." Was she wrong?

"The only exciting thing about 2002 is that it's a palindrome." Was she wrong?

Attached: ladybird.jpg (775x581, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_47BQTM6MeA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

she wasn't even there in 2002, she was a little brat. What the fuck does she know about it, honestly?

I was there and it was pretty much a depressing time after 9/11 and the forever wars took off. Better than it is now culturally but that's not saying much considering how shitty the past 20 years have been. Teens still dress like this girl.

She was 8 in 2002.

Precisely, she was too little then to say anything about it. What does an 8 year old truly know?

>his/her year experience depends on world events and not personal events
Mark of a true NPC.

You guys realize it's a line from the screenplay, right? Technically the character would know because she's playing an 18 year old, even if the actress was 8 in reality.

Well, I was 9 and I have nostalgic memories of the time but looking at the susequent years, I have to say it was nothing special or exciting like other decades are.

No one is celebratibg the early 2000s like we were doing with the 90s in 2009.

Wrong, make friends

This is true. Early 2000’s were a time of unease and confusion. Everyone felt instinctively that the fun times of the 80’s and 90’s were over, but no one really knew what it was we were heading towards.
Have sex.

I was 15 and the early 00s were bleak. Honestly, the past 20 years have been the worst in the history of the country. I'm amazed we've survived two Bush-Obama terms. 9/11, Iraq/Afghanistan, social media, 2008 collapse. opioid epidemic, de-industrialization and low culture art (rap, reality tv, etc.) have been enough to finish the country off. As someone from Lady Bird's age group I can understand her sentiment even if it's misguided and juvenile.

Now you're entering into the domain of semantics, needlessly so.

A lot of people I know are nostalgic about the early 00s and it's no different than what you see about the 80s or 90s because everyone will be nostalgic about the time they grew up in and have fond memories of. It wasn't as iconic perhaps, but give it time and maybe the future generations change that. But a character that was 8 years old didn't know shit about the time they grew up in and can't really comment on it because they have no weight behind their judgement. All they did was play and have fun with friends, doubt the read the papers, studied the economy etc.

Are you retarded? Do I really need to explain the difference between a quip written by a screenwriter said by an actress vs the context of a character saying it from the perspective of someone who was living in the time the film portrays? The absolute state of Yea Forums

>worst
Eh, there’ve been worse twenty year periods. the benefit of hindsight can lessen how extreme the feelings of the time are. I imagine people in the 30’s felt it was turning to shit too. But I know your point. There’s been a marked decline in society since the 90’s, and we’re being made to believe that this universal consumer/favela culture is a good thing.

Now you've got me confused.

SAY-O-RIZE

Okay, we thought you were talking about the actress. The character in the pic, from the film Ladybird, is in her last years of high school in 2002/2003. The writer Greta Gerwig was 19 in 2002.

Sorry I shouldn’t call you retarded but all I was saying is that some guy seemed to be saying the actress that plays her wouldn’t know 2002 because she was 8 at the time. My point is that the thread quote is a script line written for a character (Lady Bird) who is a senior in 2002. The thread meaning “was the fictional character right?” Not Saoirse the girl playing her.

I'm not trying to remember the year that personal events happen, it's much easier to learn the year for world events. But I'm not thinking "Ah yes lost my virginity, take note it's the year 2011"

I like this movie because I am from Sacramento, and I like that they filmed it in Sacramento, and I recognize where most outdoor shots are filmed

Honestly if I wasn't from Sacramento, I probably wouldn't like this movie

I hated the scene when she was all excited and ready for prom and the douche honks for her to come out. Kids are in the car talking shit about her as she walked to the car. Honest scene.

the movie takes place in the early 2000s fuckwit. the character of Lady Bird was around in 2002.

2002 was great. kiss my ass you peckers

admit it. after 9/11 history just sort of stopped for a few years while americans killed middle easterners

Let me guess you’re one of those Korn or Limp Bizkit edgy guys. I think I saw you at Half Priced Books yesterday in a tight faded Disturbed shirt talking like a loud autist to some other 30-something about the Monday night wars. 2002 sucked.

shut up faggot and you guessed incorrectly

from an american perspective maybe

I do and my bitch loved the early 2000s

true
I never went to Northern California, but it's a pretty kino region in my opinion, so I give shitty movies a pass when they take place on NorCal

Spiderman came out, man. Was a good time.

Seemed like the characters hated it but if it’s more conservative I’m all for it.

idk, watching the forever wars begging to unfold as everyone's civil rights got taken away for the sake of "safety" was vaguely interesting. member when we weren't desensitized to getting molested at airports? sure was an adjustment.

«LADY BIRD» IS CRYPTOSATANISTICAL DRIVEL.

>XXX
>Spider-Man
>Black Hawk Down
>Count of Monte Cristo
>Gangs of New York
>Catch Me If You Can
>Minority Report
>The Bourne Identity
>The Two Towers (seems a bit insensitive so soon after desu)
>Road to Perdition
>The Sum of All Fears
>Treasure Planet
>Equilibrium
>K19 The Widowmaker
>Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
she can go suck a dick
can you imagine if even half this number of equally excellent movies came out this year?
we'd be like "a new golden age of cinema is upon us"
that's how deep in the shit we are movies-wise

Honestly they only hated it because they're so spoiled by San Francisco
People in Sac and other parts of Northern California don't realize how lucky they are to live there. San Francisco is only an hour and a half away, Tahoe is only an hour and a half away, Yosemite is only 3 hours away, but still the Sacramento Valley and the Sierra Foothills nearby are honestly some of the most beautiful parts of this nation. The Gold Rush area especially near the Sierras are exceptionally beautiful, towns like Grass Valley and Auburn are criminally underrated in terms of natural beauty.

Almost every movie from this list is dogshit

Bullshit and fuck you
you're just lying to be confrontational on Yea Forums for no reason

Youre a god, teache me

2002 was hardly different from today, except for sosial media and smart phones.

I stuck my dick in an exhaust pipe in 2002

>No one is celebratibg the early 2000s like we were doing with the 90s in 2009.
Uh is this a joke? The internet was full of early 2000s nostalgia in 2025-1018, when memes about Shrek, spy kids, old Spongebob, sum 41, etc. were posted.

Heck, in 2018-2019 the internet has already moved into nostalgia for LATE 2000s-early 2010s stuff like icarly, phineas and ferb, minecraft, and cool math games.

youtube.com/watch?v=_47BQTM6MeA

The 70s had social unrest and a shitty economy, yet that didn't prevent nostalgia for them

I agree with this more than you’d think. Teens have been stuck in this endless loop of clothing style of emo/punk/goth/grunge for 20 years. Only difference is that when I was a kid 2002 we still went outside to play and ride our bikes. Obviously watched movie and played games but we did a lot of homework and played sports too.

I think because the 70s were one of the last decades where there was a social contract. People enjoyed themselves and even began accepting decadent behavior but families tried keeping up appearances to appease the Greatest and Silent generation elders of the family. I knew that when my grandmother (b.1926) died in 2011, our family and boomer relatives totally flipped their masks off and showed the assholes they are. The old people in my family kept everyone on their best behavior. If for nothing else because the selfish assholes wanted to be included in their will.

My friend's brother is like that. He still spikes his hair and everything and he's like 40. Very annoying dude that basically gets invited to events because you simply have to.

>it's a palindrome
What does sauron mans magic 8ball have to do with this movie?

REMINDER THAT THE YEARS PEOPLE CONSIDER "THE BEST" ALMOST ALWAYS JUST SO HAPPEN TO BE THOSE WHEN THEY WERE 5-10, WITH ANYTHING BEFORE YOU WERE 5 BEING OUTDTAED/OVERRATED AND EVERYTHING AFTER YOU WERE 10 BEING SHIT.

Notice how in these nostalgia threads, the scenarios always play out like this.

>25 year old here, 1999-2004 was the best time ever to be a kid, like Web 1.0, Samurai jack, old Spongebob, Lord of the Rings, ps2, dragon ball z, etc. was poppin, Avril lavigne was cute

>Nope, 35 year old here, 1989-1994 was the best time to be a kid, SNES, Genesis, Ninja turtles, Batman TAS, Apple II, pre-globalization, pogs, golden age Nick. 1999-2004 was already globalized soulless corporate shit.

Both of these eras are when the posters were, of course, 5-10.

Shut up boomer

such an overrated shit flick

Good points but I don’t consider pop culture items as the only litmus test for generational optimism. People gloss over social mores, morals, community collapse and religious participation. It’s all entertainment and economy which plays a role but it doesn’t tell the whole story.

For real, why did this movie get so much praise?

Movie Twitter loved it, everyone else thought it was bad or meh

It was up for Oscars

What's your point?

gib sershache gf

Attached: saoirse_snl_W-06.webm (1920x1080, 687K)

It has its moments. I’m a sucker for coming of age movies. I dated a girl like her my freshman year of high school. She had fire.