What did he cook?

What did he cook?

Attached: b7a95b9dfc74e4401beb9280cbf89ff6.jpg (500x614, 29K)

FRIED CHICKEN

My wife's womb

Lamb

Large quantities of serviceable, middlebrow American cuisine for the hotel's guests.

there ain't nothing in room 237 Danny, ye hear?
this hotel... it plays tricks on you... kind of like being in a strange dream...
one time, I saw myself doing very strange things... if you see those things, don't believe any of it Danny, and don't tell Mr. Ulman either

>real name is scatman
>name in movie is dick
tough life

Chocolate ice cream! You like ice cream, Doc?

kek Mr. Hallorann

>Large quantities of serviceable, middlebrow American cuisine for the hotel's guests.
That looked like a high class hotel though. There was a fucking ballroom.

YOU'RE THE JANITOR HERE MR. TORRANCE
HOW MUCH ARE YOU GETTING PAID

Attached: dgts-pic-4.jpg (720x510, 48K)

Niggers. Grady was speaking literally.

A fair point, but you should consider the environment and visual cues of the hotel itself. While Ullman does describe the glitzy past, it seems to be exactly that: a thing of the past. You never see any "rich-looking", or extremely well-dressed people in the "present-day". The caretaker's family, the regular staff, and whatever guests we might have glimpses of in the first act, are all wearing frumpy, respectable, middle-class gear. For the exotic, you have to time-warp into the hotel's past, where advocaat is available. This is where the fish-and-goose soirée can be had, not in the hotel's present era.

Then there's the kitchen. Yes you can work wonders with simple raw material, but it's just regular American brands-Calumet, Sociables. I'm sure Hallorann could make you a very nice salmon dish, but you're not going to get anything super-exotic here.

He's the chef at a nice hotel in rural Colorado. He cooks the nice food for the nice people, that's all. He's not the fucking saucier at Dorsia. He's not preparing haute cuisine at Per Se. He's not Remy the rat from Ratatouille. He's just a competent African-American chef

Ager is this you?

Ager tends to read into things that don't exist

but he is based, and so are you

Attached: 1476866836624.jpg (708x932, 117K)

The killing of his character is another proof that kubrick was a hack. In the novel, when halloran feel troubles in the hotel he travels back and encounters several people with "the shining" also he fight some animal trees and he survives at the end. In the movie he doesn't do shit.

Watermelon but not in a racist offensive way like he's a really skilled chef

lmao

Im uh heh im doing it for free loyd

Attached: shiningjack-main1.jpg (400x700, 44K)

Ager samefags on Yea Forums boards to create the illusion of relevance.

Oh, I don't know, I think that Hallorann's death can reasonably be construed as a continuation of the hotel's racist past-and-present. It's also a tidy way to resolve the character and make a literal murderer of Jack, so that he becomes a proper villain. There is a clear racial subtext in the film, made explicit with the utterance of nigger (notice that the past teaches/coaches Jack in the use of this word in the present, the becoming-racist is a definite element of Jack's villany), together with the "indian burial ground/repelled injuns" trope, and Jack's mention of alcohol as his "white man's burden", a phrase which also refers to white mastery of nature and territory.

Can we all agree on how great the actor playing the loyd was with his delivery of the nigger line

>It's also a tidy way to resolve the character

Makes sense since Nigger Cook had literally just served his narrative purpose by arriving with an vehicle for Wendy and Danny to escape in. King only kept the character alive so he could have that sappy ass ending of everyone fishing.

You've confused Joe Turkel, who portrayed the bartender LLOYD, with the "other" Grady, Delbert IIRC, in the bathroom, portrayed by Philip Stone. I do agree that the line is delivered well, with cold, clinical power and precision. Here, it means what it means.

Both Turkel and Stone had the pleasure of being more-than-once Kubrick collaborators (or pain? Kubrick was a pain in the ass for his actors to work with, and these two just had the fortitude it seems. Or they went back aways maybe, so maybe Kubrick was easier with them).

IIRC Turkel was one of the condemned in Paths of Glory and Stone was the dad in Clockwork Orange. One or maybe both also had a third role which I won't hazard to guess without checking.

If your mind had a room 237 Ager would be living in there for free.

Hahahah classic

I don't remember if Hallorann was black in the novel desu. But the book explains that the hotel poisons jacks mind because it wants the kid to die in the hotel.

Classic samefAger

My mistake, he's the caretaker.

Attached: ager.jpg (453x129, 17K)

Ah. and the stuff in the latter sentence is perfectly clear in the film. I haven't read the book (would like too at some point but it's not a reading priority atm), but I wouldn't be surprised if it contains some euphemistic language which suggests (without being explicit) that Hallorann is black. IIRC the character is also portrayed by a black man in the TV movie, but of course this doesn't indicate anything (either) about the source text.

This movie was a lot more silly than I thought it was going to be, while watching it for the first time, honestly.

stone was also at the end of barry lyndon, I'd recognize that daughter chopper anywhere