Why do so many cinephiles refuse to watch this film?

Why do so many cinephiles refuse to watch this film?

Attached: The Birth of a Nation.png (1442x1078, 706K)

It’s an incredible movie.

dont know about that one but intolerance was garbage

what are some other essential silent kino?

DUDE BLACK MEN RAPE WHITE WOMEN

Because point one, it's silent. Most people like movies with sound. Point two, it's three hours long. And point three, it's shit.

based
cringe
it's true though

>it's shit
No. It's one of the most entertaining films ever made.

If you're a /pol/tard, sure. It's blatantly racist, so if you're up for that sort of thing it's fine. Most people aren't.

lol

lol what you inbred sub 20iq subhuman piece of shit?

It's really boring

Most people are, actually. See? It must be true because I say so.
You fucking presumptuous faggot degenerate.

any lang or murnau film

Because many cinephiles do not care for the history of the medium
This is a particular hard one because they would have to reconcile the fact that it is one of the single most important achievements of the artform with the fact that it is quote unquote racist and that's a nono, so might as well avoid it altogether

Sounding a little triggered there lol

if you can't look past the subject matter and recognize that this is one of the most influential films ever made you're a faggot

i was accused of being a cinephile

Just use quotes "retard"

make me

I hate niggers

I was lucky enough to have been taught The Birth Of A Nation as part of a course in American History during high school. We learned about its purpose as a work of propaganda 50 years after the end of the Civil War, celebrating the collapse of Reconstruction and glorifying the Southern Redemption which arose in its place. President Woodrow Wilson signaled his support of White Nationalist groups by ending executive branch civil rights outreach and by showing The Birth Of A Nation in the White House. The Ku Klux Klan was a dying organization when The Birth Of A Nation was released. The popularity of this film led to the revival of the Klan in concert with a powerful nativist anti-immigrant movement which exploded in the years after 1915. This is the time that the vast majority of Confederate memorial statues were established. The Birth Of A Nation was understood at the time as a work of vile propaganda and was boycotted en masse by black civil rights leaders. To dismiss what this movie is and what it meant then and what it means now is to ignore its basic nature. This is not a neutral work of formal innovation. This is not an artifact of a dead and ignorant past which we must understand given the distance of living in a more enlightened time. The Birth Of A Nation was the highest grossing American film until Gone With The Wind, another work of neo-Confederate apology, almost a quarter century later. It is uncomfortable to come to terms with the fact that the birth of long-form narrative film in this country, the development of cinematic language and technique, is forever bound with the legacy of this film specifically. This isn't something that can be ignored or put aside.

Unrelated

It is not quote, unquote racist. It's super racist. White actors in blackface playing black men as thuggish rapists while lionizing the KKK. That's not "racist". It's plain old racist.

Acknowledging it as influential and wanting to watch it are two different things. Stop moving the goalposts.

>ZOMG LE BLACKFACE
why are amerimutts so sensitive?

griffithposter is that you?

"my bad"

tl;dr

It's really not though

The bitch who wrote that review also gave Triumph of the Will a 5/5