This started out promising and I actually had hopes for it...

This started out promising and I actually had hopes for it, but then it just kept disappointing and disappointing and turned out to be an overall mess in which you can see glimmers of what could have been, but alas wasn't. Feels like the first one if it was set in an oppressive shithole, only much worse in terms of quality and it really looks like the franchise stopped having fresh ideas and hit a dead end here. They should have honestly stopped after the original and named Aliens anything but Aliens but corporate greed has no boundaries.

Another question worth asking is just how much it was the studio fucking Fincher's project up or was it Fincher the one to blame for how 3 turned out. What do you think?

Attached: A3.jpg (853x1280, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x45pa80
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not a good movie, but the atmosphere is really bleak, like the real deal of bleakness, which is a thing that I find really interesting about it.

Yeah, it's the best thing about it and helps sell the overall feeling of hopelessness in the prison. That, and the way the camera moves to replicate Xeno's movement, felt really engaging. Other than that, it's a mixed bag.

Agreed starts very well, once Charles dance goes out of it, the film falls apart.

Everyome looking the exact same with no discernable character for the second half kills it too

>once Charles dance goes out of it, the film falls apart.
Exactly, that's what my friend and I agreed upon immediately after finishing it. What was even the point of his death? The Xenomorph kills him, but it serves no real purpose and the movie isn't better for it. It lacks the weight a character death should have, it also doesn't help that he's mostly a generic character with another dark secret from his past etc. The only other interesting character in it was the priest, but even he doesn't amount to much and has a final standoff that is quite underwhelming to say the least. 3 to me felt like two movies trapped in one and like it wasn't sure what it was trying to be, either that or it was the studio's meddling that is to blame for it because there are some interesting ideas and themes that it tries to tackle, but it never fleshes them out or does much with them and all you're left at the end is a bitter taste in your mouth. I heard that the original cut was even worse, so hard pass on that.

OP is not a faggot.

Kino soundtrack and cinematography but everything else that makes a movie is just mediocre.

Did any of you faggots watch the Assembly cut at least?

Also, are you the type of people who think that the franchise should be fun yay family-friendly space action kickass bullshit?

>Not a good movie

I'll let you off thanks to your quads. But for me, it's a great Alien film mainly thanks to its atmosphere and cast of actors.

Attached: pete postlethwaite alien 3.jpg (1280x1920, 375K)

The assembly cut is shit, too.
The poster above is right. Cool atmosphere here and there, I'd add few good designs.
That's it.

Dillion is based

OP here, I saw the Assembly cut. As for your other question, I prefer the original to everything that followed and am not a fan of Aliens, but I wouldn't call it a bad film.

Assembly Cut has its ups and downs, some of the changes were positive and others were just retarded.
No, Aliens was the wrong direction for the franchise and I appreciate Alien 3 for trying to steer the tone back toward bleak horror (albeit with little success)

This is factually incorrect. The Assembly cut has only one major flaw (which is the same as the one in Terminator 2): the egg comes out of nowhere.
Aside from that, it's a very adequate ending to Ripley's character progression and a dramatically well-constructed film.

Many many many ups, a couple of downs, yeah. Like the two previous films.

>others were just retarded
One. the egg.

You are factually retarded and yours are opinions.
Stop shilling this fucking assembly over and over.
It's garbage, the characters are garbage and uninteresting, the pacing awful, it's a chore to watch.
Some shot here and here looks good, with a good production design, then one scene later it's awful and the progression is nonsensical.

It was literally unfinished. Fincher walked off before production was complete.
Find the work print cut. It's on the blu ray box set, which is worth owning It has all 4 movies, directors/alternate cuts and hours of featurettes and documentaries. The story behind Alien 3 is far more interesting then the movie itself.

Alien > Alien 3 > Aliens desu

>tries to go back to its roots
>it's convoluted, conflicted and nonsensical garbage resulted from the director compromising over and over form the initial concept
yeah, no

Nah it really goes in the order they were made, and I have a big hard on for Alien 3.

Attached: xenomorph alien 3.jpg (1280x1029, 92K)

>if I repeat it over and over people will accept it
does not work like that

>the egg comes out of nowhere.
Didn't the Alien come from that bull or whatever dead animal they extracted from the ship or whatever? Ripley being the new queen is something the movie doesn't fully explore and tackles only superficially, the ending bit with Gibson also felt a bit melodramatic even and didn't add much to the movie. I wouldn't call it well constructed either because it really wasn't. It feels all too generic.

That's why I was clear to specify I only meant tone. The production itself was a disaster, I'm not arguing about that.

As a stand alone story it works pretty nicely but as a treatment for what was supposed to cap off Ripley's story (through her triumph/martyrdom) it was a bad move. The prison setting itself has quite a dense narrative contained within it (by itself) and It overshadowed Ripley way too much. It seems like someone wrote this separately and it was just shoehorned in as the screenplay, making for a pretty unworthy ending of the Ay trilogy.

Then of course you have Ay4 Resurrection which ignores both her and xenomorphs destruction and makes it all completely pointless.

Despite this, there are still some really great moments within this film which really cut to core of Ripley's character. It's just a shame they went with this particular screenplay for it.

Holy fucking shit quit lying.
Stop pretending that it's bad over and over and maybe nobody would need to point out that it's good over and over.

the egg in the Sulaco at the beginning.

the EGG. not the embryo

Which, ironically, is the only thing (along with barcodes) that was kept from the Gibson script.

>it feels
who gives a shit about how you feel?
It's a matter of fact that the movie's dramatic structure is effective.

I really like the orange hue they picked for that film, it really makes for kino

Everything aside from the egg makes sense.
The production was extremely difficult and the movie is good in spite of that fact.

They just recently released the original script as a comic

You're making it sound as if there was a better way to cap off her story.

Let's hear it.

It's about rape all along and incels don't like it. Go figure with these guys.

Yeah it's pretty good.

Inferior to the Assembly cut but pretty good.

I disagree, I think it's the best ending that could have been written for Ripley's character. For all of the problems with the film, the ending is beautiful.

I give a shit how I feel when watching a movie and Alien 3 fails to make me care for any of it. It's not well constructed dramatically at all and you repeating the word factually won't change that. A lot of the characters in it aren't even fleshed out that well, and the ones that showed a bit of character in them either got killed without it having any effect or lose what little interesting stuff they had going for them. Other than the visuals, it has nothing going for it and it seems unsure of what it wants to be.

Care to elaborate?

Attached: fed up alien.png (400x400, 14K)

2>1>3>4. But really only 2>1.

Attached: 20190707-151919.jpg (1396x1723, 1.17M)

Yes but you don't count cause you're a retard, so the way you feel is irrelevant.
>A lot of the characters in it aren't even fleshed out that well,
they are in the assembly cut.
>without it having any effect
not as far as Ripley is concerned, no.

>seems unsure of what it wants to be
again, you're a retard if you can't identify that it's trying to be a gothic drama as well as space horror. It constantly pursues those goals simultaneously and they don't get in the way of one another.

I think it's the only way to do the alien justice. If the idea of the alien is that it is the perfect killer and that death is inevitable after encountering it, then the story must conclude with the death of Ripley. But if Ripley is to have a satisfying and complete character arc, she needs to have conquered her fear of the alien (i.e. death).
Having her take it with her is the only way this can end with satisfying conclusions to both sides of the story. Confronting her with the seductive idea that she can escape the inevitability of her death is a powerful way of showing her resolve there.

>having such shit taste and displaying it for everyone to see
cameronfags I swear

He may not but I will: Ripley has been established in the previous movies as willing to endanger herself to help the others, starting with Jonesy, then with her substitute family, and this is culminating with her fully sacrificing herself to save (potentially) all of humanity. It's a natural progression, and it's achieved by confronting her with bleaker and bleaker situations while also showing her that even scumbags like the convicts can be heroic. So it makes sense on a logical level and on a thematic level.

Stop being silly, it's 1 > 2 > 3 > Alien Isolation > 4.

Don't care about the newer films.

Attached: Alien-Isolation-Cover.jpg (1920x1080, 1M)

It's funny as in the Gibson comic adaptation (haven't read the actual script), they give zero explanation on the egg except it's growing out of Bishop.
One could infer that the Queen's tail injected some kind of xeno dna into him when he got ripped in half in Aliens, a callback perhaps to egg-morphing from the original film (Brett getting stung in the back by the xeno in that film), though this is all head-canon.
Still, where Ripley takes Bishop and reactivates him to find out what happened he could have still been the source of the egg and explained this to her, sealing the plothole.
Also... I think the film would have benefited cutting the opening showing the egg and facehugger in the Sulaco, have the film start with the EEV release and crash on Fury, we learn alongside with Ripley what occured.

>how much it was the studio fucking Fincher's project up or was it Fincher the one to blame for how 3 turned out

Watch Wreckage and Rage

dailymotion.com/video/x45pa80

This isn't the whole thing but it really goes to show how much of clusterfuck the film was and how Vince Ward's version would have been Kino

>They should have honestly stopped after the original and named Aliens anything but Aliens but corporate greed has no boundaries.
Why? Aliens was fantastic
>b-but it turned the xeno into a bug man
no. Its the same thing morrowind fags drool over, the characters have "leveled up" so to speak. Rather than just some random workers, its soldiers with automatic weapons. Of course they can shred an alien where those in the first couldn't. As shown in aliens and alien, the flame units don't kill them real easily.
So, if youre going to have soldiers, there has to be a ton of aliens, otherwise
>the alien is dead we can go home now
Alien fags are a bunch of art house horror fags who are mad Cameron lead theyre dusty turd to greatness and no one (not even Scott) can replicate it

These movies, like many other series, are products of the years they were made.
Alien has that slow tension build up and atmosphere.
Aliens was your typical 1980s action film.
Resurrection was late 90s.
Alien 3 came out in 1992, so probably just trying to bridge from 80s action to something different, it just didn't pan out.

I find that if you take into account the era each
Alien film was made, you can appreciate them more

Assembly Cut is great. Movie is comparable to the original, in terms of bleakness and claustrophobia. I will never understand the hate for it. Still one of my favorite films of all time.

Resurrection, even as absolutely "what the fuck is this goofy shit" as it is, still has some great moments. Shit Alien film, but fun as fuck.

The comic adaptation was extremely disappointing, compared to the actual script. I seem to also remember a script where they were on a city-station, and there was a scene where Hicks was hauling ass through the city's "highway" while the xenomorphs were taking over, driving past shops and such, and it was utter chaos. I always remember thinking how awesome that scene would have been on film.

Anyone have the full 2 hour version? Can't find it anywhere.

I thought it was more than alright. The religious stuff couldn't been handled better, but the themes of brotherhood and redemption coupled with the hopelessness and oppression of the prison colony was a nice change of pace from the "badass super-girl singlehandedly defeats the monster" structure of the first two.

It would've been a decent sci-fi film even without Ripley.

The first one wasn't about le badass super girl beating Alien though.

I liked it.

The NES game is awesome

Assembly Cut turns it from a 4/10 to a 6/10

You can see what he was going for a bit more

But it still sucks

Theatrical:
>lets set up this tricky plan to lure the Alien into a nuclear waste vault setting off fires
>uh oh the Alien sabotaged the plan while we were setting it all up, causing an explosion killing many people, and forcing a retreat and regroup
>after that they work out plan B (the lead).
ok, seems like a fine way conclude that beat of the story without laboring too long on it.

Assembly Cut:
>after just purposefully sabotaging the plan and causing an explosion killing many, the alien STILL conveniently falls for it by attacking the one lone guy luring it into the vault
>however there is one schizo in the infirmary who conveniently starts to hears voices in his head to free the alien
>he happens to conveniently kill two other prisoners who for some reason are not prepared for it, even though they are all harden criminals and knows the guy is crazy and dangerous
>he conveniently frees the alien, propelling the story towards he final arc (the lead plan)
but instead of this whole sequence being a purposeful major setback put upon by the alien like in theatrical, the Assembly makes it comes across like the last 10-15 minutes were a convoluted waste of runtime just to justify a final arc to the film.

The only actual good part about the Assembly is the opening sequence, and maybe some parts where the flesh out a few of the characters early on. Everything else is just a mess and makes the movie way too long for so little going on.

This. I remember cutting school and seeing this with a girl in a movie theater in China town back in 1992 when I was 12 years old. When I left the theater I just had an overwhelming feeling of depression like I had just been robbed or something, it was sad and empty but edgy and real. I liked it but I hated it at the same time. It’s interesting. Eventually I decided it was a good movie but then I watched it again like six years ago and it seemed terrible and silly sort of like a second watch of blade runner sequel. Great qualities and potential but overall bad movie.