Hope

Hey Yea Forums
this is a new board for me
I was kind of hoping for a bunch of cool dudes autistically talking about pacing and lighting and all that jazz
I guess it's not here
Hey, anyone liked There Will Be Blood?

Attached: wp2376047.jpg (1920x1080, 194K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-yXqEzUoFY4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I did

It's a pretty good movie but why do I give a fuck if he drinks his milkshake or not maron

>I was kind of hoping for a bunch of cool dudes autistically talking about pacing and lighting and all that jazz I guess it's not here

You’re about 7 years too late. It’s overrun by capeshit third worlders now and the mods hate the board so they’re trying to facilitate its death.

reaches across the room

Attached: my straw.jpg (480x360, 14K)

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE
>SCHLUUURP
I DRINK IT UP

Attached: SCHLUUUURP.jpg (1280x720, 65K)

there will be sneed

Top three film of the 21st century

It's a great film, op. Do you have thoughts on the director and his other works?

Great movie, got me in to PTA and Robert Altman (the movie is dedicated to him.)

Love this movie. Best horror film of all time.

>Comes here expecting discussion of the technical adpects of film
>Instead gets BRAD PRITTU PREASE and Sneed
Hehe
But yes, it is a great film and one of my favorites.

Daniel Plainview is the proto-Romero zombie. He is competition, materialism, and capitalism all at once, and he consumes but remains empty. He *is* the terrifying "third revelation," and that revelation is the lurching specter of materialism coming at last to consume spirituality.

Did anyone else hate the Dano’s Character more than Planeview? At least Planeview was honest in his depravity. Dano’s character uses spirituality to manipulate people and for monetary gain.

i liked them both, you're a moron

Yes. I found him even more despicable, because we know he's a fucking fraud. But I also find him interesting because of the statement his character makes about spirituality. Even in the hands of a charlatan, it can still reveal deeper truths about the self. That's one of the reasons Daniel hates him so bad - because he represents something Daniel can never understand.

It makes you wonder what would have changed had Daniel been a true believer, if he had refused to profess his lack of faith. He even repeats his denial three times, just like Peter.

no daniel hates him because he is successful at gaining power and influence without any self-sacrifice, he is jealous, so he milkshake

what was with the ending of Magnolia? why did it start raining frogs?

Yes, Daniel just wanted to make money, he was a liar but also just a businessman. Eli is misleading and using his community in a much more cynical way.

I think Daniel hated him because he saw right through him and knew he was competition

>find out YEARS LATER that Eli and whatever-his-name were twins and not one person

Why didn't Paul fucking fix this? I know the original actor dropped out, but it couldn't have been hard to find a replacement.

Daniel is travlin’ tonight on a plane

it's pretty much just a sad circle jerk of bad memes and clownworld faggots. any actual on topic thread is usually ignored or pushed off page 10 by the ceaseless influx of the aforementioned garbage

Daniel was capable of that, too. He didn't have to abandon H.W., he didn't have to kill his fake brother, he didn't have to drive H.W. away as a "competitor," he just did. Every "sacrifice" Daniel makes is born of his competitive nature or his desire for a family. He kills his "brother" because he made him feel a lot like Sunday made him feel. He thought he was *real* family that superseded the surrogate for it he thought H.W. was. Daniel craved family, community, love, a sense of belonging, but pushed all of that away from him.

OOOH
DANIEL, MY BROTHER
YOU ARE OLDER THAN ME
DO YOU STILL FEEL THE PAIN
OF THE SCARS THAT WON'T HEAL?

I don't get the problem. That layer of doubt and distrust actually plays into the themes of the story.

It's a reference to the one of the plagues god sends in the old testament. Could represent intervention, divine or otherwise leading to people trying to atone for their mistakes/ to forgive/ seek forgiveness

I actually don't have a problem with it, storywise, it's just such an odd thing to not fix, in terms of replacing an actor.

It does add some distrust from the get-go when we see that Eli used a different name when first meeting with Daniel. So, thematically, it makes sense to keep it as one person.

so you didn't pay attention to the end until years later? not the film's fault...

He's specifically said it's not a reference to the Bible and was surprised with this information by a friend

In truth it's a reference to Charles Fort

A BASTARD FROM A BASKET

I legit think PTA looked at it, thought on it, and said, "Oh, this is just too perfect." It's really easy to imagine Daniel obsessing over whether or not he's getting conned and eventually tracking down Paul, then tormenting Eli with what he's found.

Fuck man. Lewis is seriously incredible

And the music seriously is too. The very first track in the opening scene was so unsettling, almost as if he was gonna uncover a mutilated body. Actually the whole soundtrack gives that feeling. God bless Jonny Greenwood.
youtube.com/watch?v=-yXqEzUoFY4