Why is Ungoliant more powerful than Melkor?

Why is Ungoliant more powerful than Melkor?

I know she ate a bunch of silmarils and that's why they fell out, but Melkor could have beaten her, right?

Attached: Ungoliant-0.jpg (1440x620, 103K)

Who cares?

she's a big girl

Ungoliant never ate the Silmarils. She ate the Trees of Arda.

melkor was your friendly neighborhood satan, while ungoliant was an otherworldly horror

Shut the fuck up, tranny, Go back to whatever discord you came from.

For you lmao xDDD

CRASHING THIS PLANE WITH NO SURSPIDERS :D

What are Melkor's views in inheritance taxes?

Ungoliant on my penis

>powerful
Is water more powerful than rock?

Which is better/worse?

The silmarils were derivative of the trees

Because when you think about it - nothing in LOTR or its lore makes sense. Turn off your brain and just enjoy it.

Water will erode rock into baser forms through friction with enough time, so yes.

The Silmarils were crafted with the light of the Trees contained within them. Without the Trees, there never would have been the Silmarils. The last flower and fruit of the Trees were made into the Sun and Moon.

>ungol was not created by eru - she is like a high fantasy cosmic horror
>melkor was at his mightiest when the world was first born and before he contained his power within a body
>i forget the exact wording but everything that melkor created (dragons, his gigantic fortresses, etc.) needed him to pour bits and pieces of himself into it, making him weaker

He dead so I don't think he has any.

Yes. But rocks can fill the river bed and pull the river away into new directions. What I wanted to show was that it's not productive to try and measure everything in terms of power. Is A more powerful than B is a question to be asked about cliche comic books. There are questions to be asked about Ungoliath cornering Melkor but this is definitely not one of them.

Why the fuck did you greentext that?

That's a big spiderino

Ungol was created by Eru. But not by the Arda

This is such a plain and soulless WOW lore tier look at the works. There is so much more to dig out and you pull this shit out of your ass...

>Is A more powerful than B
Yes. In many circumstances, A is a more powerful force than B. Quit being a brainlet.

>B-BUT ALL THINGS ARE CREATED EQUALLY!
They're not.

He's not dead, he's exiled into the Void beyond the Halls of Mandos. Like it or not, Melkor is part and parcel of creation itself, killing him would be like killing a facet of the universe.

based toddler figuring out how to type on the personal computer

There is no creation story for Ungoliant. Never once is it stated, inferred or implied she was created by Eru.

>Not created by Eru
Horseshit that would run entirely contrary to Tolkien's philosophy. She still has to consume light to create her unlight. The light is primary.

This. Like Tom Bombadil, no one knows the tale of her creation, nor from where she first came, and if the Valar know they don't speak of it, nor does Eru impart that knowledge to those below him. Tolkien didn't like spilling the beans on all his mysteries.

You're the most retarded person ITT.

Cope

Your 'theory' of A not being more powerful B is BTFO trillions of times a day in nature.

Sorry.

>that would run entirely contrary to Tolkien's philosophy
You might be overestimating Tolkien a bit. Maybe he thought giant spider from beyond was just a cool idea to include.

bahooo hu wuld win in a fite baer or tigre??

soulless

hm, i like that you are thinking about this logically user, but is there anything like a quote or phrase in the silmarillion or lost tales books that says as much?

not that i doubt you. it has been so long since i read anything from tolk. ungol must have been doing something in the darkess of the void before the trees, right? was she weaving her unlight?

Ungoliant had just consumed the sap of the Trees
Melkor was weak because he had concealed their presence and made sure they escaped

at that moment she was more powerful
but she still got beaten by a bunch of Balrogs

Fucking Balrogs, I swear to God.

Agreed. Who the fuck cares? It doesn't matter.

Based Balrogs

Ungoliant might have been a Maia who followed Melkor and deserted him. Or she’s Tom Bombadil’s sister.

>Some say she descended from the darkness about Arda and she was one of those who he corrupted to his service
Even ignoring the "she was of of those...", she came about from the darkness about Arda, not Ea (creation) itself. People want her to be a primordial darkness spirit because it fits thematically with the archetypal themes of chaos creatures in other myths, but Tolkien didn't elaborate how that could be so without running contrary to his whole shtick of all things coming from either God or a subcreator in imitation of God.
>She sucked up all light she could and spun it forth as darkness of strangling gloom
The darkness is not a thing of itself.