Everything he's made since Drive has been absolute shit. Why?

Everything he's made since Drive has been absolute shit. Why?

Attached: refn magic towel.jpg (697x478, 88K)

I wouldn't say shit, but rather needlessly pretentious. I think he's trying to prove that he's an artistic filmmaker after his commercial success with Drive.

My take on Refn is that he is trying to be meta and self-aware yet doesn't know how to do it.
There are parts in his films that are so over done and stand in stark juxtaposition to the more subtle things he's done in the same film.

But ogf was better than drive

He started writing his own scripts

Nah. He wrote the Pusher trilogy, Bleeder, Bronson and Valhalla Rising - all certified kinos.

He couldn't understand why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Why is that skinny fat guy making the hand gestures of an angry Italian grandfather at Ryan?

do u think Gosling gets annoyed with the towel around Refn's waist, and says shit like TAKE IT OFF

this. in "my life directed by nicolas winding refn" its clear that he knew that none of his future work would surpass drive but he still wanted some distance from it. he feared losing his vision and by becoming more "hollywood". OGF is literally intended to be a pleb filter, a rejection of the hollywood formula and the people who want the next drive. unfortunately it didnt really click in the end and he had an anxiety attack over it

Attached: gnomed.png (391x366, 174K)

gosling got his own towel by refn and started wearing it

and the worst decision was casting gosling in OGF, thousands of plebs jumped right into it expecting it to be a soul sequel of drive

His whole career has been extreme highs and lows. Did Pusher as a very young filmmaker, made him the next big thing in Denmark. Fear X was a huge, huge bomb and most people called it pretentious. Refn was in major debt. He had alienated most movie people in Denmark by calling them hacks and shit and lashing out at "high art movies". Also he has admitted he was jealous of lots of other filmmakers, because their films got more attention or/and because he envied them in some other way. For example he was jealous of Thomas Vinterberg because he was handsome. Refn has stated multiple times that since he was a kid he wanted to be famous. This is one of the main reasons he chose to do Bronson, he saw it as a film about fame and self-inserted himself into Bronson's shoes.

He did Pusher 2 and 3 primarily to reduce his debt. For a long time he was basically blacklisted in Denmark and no one wanted to give him money for films or work with him. He directed Miss Marple for British television to make some money.

Bronson was a festival hit and Hardy's performance got lots of praise. The flick turned the trajectory of Refn's career. Valhalla Rising had a very mixed reception but it was quite cheap film to shoot and again got good festival buzz.

Marc Platt, the producer of Drive specifically wanted to work with Ryan Gosling. Gosling was allowed to pick the director for the film and he chose Refn.

Drive was a career high for Refn, like we all know and it introduced him to a wider audience. The film was also a major success, winning best director prize at Cannes. Which Refn probably loved, since he had always felt jealous, butthurt etc. about Von Trier, Susanne Bier, Thomas Vinterberg and other famous Danish filmmakers.

In a way the prize kind of "legitimized" Refn while he still could maintain his philosophy of doing "fetish films", not films that are going for "high art" feeling, and for "good taste".

Attached: 11.47.35.png (1440x779, 809K)

well, he's not actually an artist, just somebody with an intense desire to be one

Drive wasn't that good

Your digits are the only thing stopping me from hunting you down. Thank your lucky stars before going to bed tonight, kid.

Aren’t we all?

Drive was also shit

Wrong. OGF was kino, Neon Demon had its ups and downs but I'd still say its worth a watch. Too Old To Die Young was worth watching when i'm not watching poorly done political commentary or Jesus getting dominated for a half hour.

Only God Forgives was anti-Drive in many ways and I think part of the hostile reception of that film was because lots of people had seen Drive but nothing else by Refn. They expected Drive 2.0 and got something else instead.

I think it's an interesting film, but doesn't really work. Like this user said I think he tried really hard not to do anything like Drive and wasn't really sure what he was doing with the film. But I also think that Drive gave him such an ego boost, that it also hurt the quality of OGF, The Neon Demon and Too Old To Die Young. They all feel kind of like unintentional self-parodies.

Also he has become more arrogant in the press again. After the debt fiasco, he actually was more humble (or at least pretended to be) and when he was promoting Drive he seemed quite humble as well. Eccentric but not full of himself.

Post Drive-interviews are pretty cringe to watch/read. I honestly think he'll have another meltdown soon and then he'll come back again with stronger movies.

Also one interesting sidenote is that him lashing out against other Danish filmmakers has been always a bit pathetic. Because he at times has tried to position himself outside of the film business, as an outsider and rebel. But his father edited Lars von Trier films and mother was a famous photographer.

Attached: 2.16.03.png (1440x783, 732K)

Everything he's made has been absolute shit.

This, so much. It had a similar aesthetic but more Valhalla Rising.

Correction: everything he's made since Bronson.

Drive is just a remake of The Driver; OGF is ripping off Jodorowsky and the ending is basically lifted from Yakuza; Neon Demon is extremely mediocre and it puts its meaning in literal form because it's such a bad story.

Refn has been downhill for years, but since he has bright lights and blood, people on here eat it up and then complain about capeshit -- as if they're not of the same breed.