Is he right? Was Tolkien a talentless hack?

Is he right? Was Tolkien a talentless hack?

Attached: quote-tolkien-made-the-wrong-choice-when-he-brought-gandalf-back-screw-gandalf-he-had-a-great-george (850x400, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a_1EVCVYjO8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Martin made the wrong choice when he brought Jon Snow back. Screw Jon Snow. He had a great death and the characters should have had to go on without him.

Martin is a talentless hack, and it pisses me off that he's from my state. Why the fuck did you move to the west?

Jon stayed dead in the books, it was d&d that brought Jon back due to popular demand

honestly no good character of importance died in tolkiens books hes not wrong its boring when everybody survives no problem or comes back from the dead no problem

You can tell he never read the books kek

why are you lying? he will get resurrected in the books IF they come out
its fairly obvious the son of rhagear wouldnt die before he does something with his targaryen name

Jon was always going to come back, the whole purpose of the adwd prologue is to explain how he will still carry living on despite dying. He’ll warg into ghost, someone will be sacrificed, and then he’ll come back to his human form. You really think George would let him stay dead with the mystery of parentage still not being solved?

Thats false, in the books we can see him dying but we dont know whether he will be resurected.

In this case he might actually be right.

Tolkein was racist against orcs, so FUCK THAT NAZI

>hack
Stop using this word you Reddit faggot.

If this quote is correct, Martin simply lacks the mental capacity to understand Tolkiens work.

Yes. Why does Gandalf send mortals to suicide missions if he's an immortal angel with infinite respawns? Makes him an asshole

Attached: 5D6A9C9F-12EE-4751-9F88-B814ED53AF06.jpg (950x1060, 211K)

High-fantasy is intertwined with British folklore, an American can't into it properly

At least Tolkien finished his books

It was a rip off of the Kalevala you retard. Insulting Americans does not make you less stupid.

Killing off characters has become a really cheap way of keeping people interested

>he brought Jon Snow back
He didn't.

Tokien was simply being consistent with the lore and rules he set out. Gandalf's role wasn't finished so Eru bought him back as a greater manifestation of Saruman.

That fat hypocritical fuck has no complaints to make given he will bring back Jon in a similar manner.

No he didn't and Amerisharts are already fat stupid subhumans we don't to insult them, their existence is an insult

He isn't immortal (given he died) and doesn't have infinite lives. He was sent back by Eru because it was needed.

The point of LOTR isn't to have a battle between balanced forces like you would in your dungeons and dragons game.

Gandalf is immortal. Why wouldn't he come back if he can? He was sent to fight against Sauron.

The real question is what happened to Durin's Bane, also an immortal being. It seems you need Valinor's support to embody again, which he didn't have.

i hope then he will let jon snow rest in piss.

Possibly similar to what happened with Sauron

>Gandalf had predicted what the destruction of the Ring would mean to Sauron: "If it is destroyed, then he will fall, and his fall will be so low that none can foresee his arising ever again. For he will lose the best part of the strength that was native to him in his beginning, and all that was made or begun with that power will crumble, and he will be maimed for ever, becoming a mere spirit of malice that gnaws itself in the shadows, but cannot again grow or take shape. And so a great evil of this world will be removed."

Him having a great death doesn't mean he can't be brought back alive into the story

>the world is a shitty place
The worst cliche used today

I was so happy and relieved when he returned when I first read it.
I was 11 years old, though.

thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=a_1EVCVYjO8

Attached: mdxod3dk7xx11.jpg (1772x1772, 101K)

>And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the [mother] of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
>And very early in the morning the first [day] of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
>And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
>And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
>And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
>And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.
>But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.

The resurrection of Christ is frequently mentioned in various forms of literature in one form or another.

>Tolkien should have just thrown away his mythology to do something he thought would be cool on a whim
sounds like something George would say all right

You are a dumb, boring edgelord.

He didnt say hack

Martin is a fat retard who can't write for shit and will never finish his garbage books.

Maybe Tolkien, a war hero, didn't feel comfortable treating death cheaply the way fat fuck Martin does

>Stop using this word

Attached: 1554644239729.jpg (785x731, 101K)

>Was Tolkien a talentless hack?
He never said Tolkien was a talentless hack, you shit-stirrer. Tolkien is among his favorite fantasy authors. He's talking about one of the few points of issue he has with Tolkien and referencing that in terms of how he creates stakes and consequences for his characters.

What if he died again? What would Elroy Jetson do then?

What a fucking moron.

His work is a complete joke, as an author I'd compare him to a more arrogant J.K. Rowling.

Attached: 1540653058317.png (1903x246, 116K)

"Tolkien was a cuck faggot who probably fantasized about sucking on hobbit dicks lol" - George R. R. Martin, screenwriter, It Chapter 3

Isn't in certain contexes like lighter fantasy character death is an example of just bad character writing. Usually they are a lot more intresting alive. At the least in classical terms, in a more realistic centric story I could see it but in term of main characters generally they are worth far more alive than dead. Thus you only kill a greater routiserrie of minor chars or what have you.

You don't have to kill them. I've yet to see an important character take a shit in the forest in the middle of the night, fall down, get his leg pierced by a rust arrowhead or some shit and then have their leg amputated because it was infected.

He would be sent back again, only more white

Due to buffer overflow he'd gone from white to black.

Martin isn't even a 10th of the writer tolkein was
fuck Martin, fuck GoT, fuck A song of fire and cocks, edgy shit made by a fat fucking retard who talks about 14 year old girls diarrhea shits
I cant wait till this fat fucking goblin has a heart attack before finishing his last book that he had 9 years to write
fucking HACK

Not before he would be an illuminous orb of infinitely bright light
Then he would turn into the mayar equivalent of a black hole

Tolkien was an autistic word nerd. He cared more about boring lore shit, and languages than creating a compelling story with relatable characters. Peter Hackson's adaptation did Tolkien serious justice by adding that missing ingredient from the books.

He was a good classical scholar. Not a very good novelist.

>one of the most boring, run-of-the-mill authors criticizes one of the best authors of the twentieth century.
GRRM peaked with Tuf Voyaging, everything else was shit.

Unironically, Fat Martin is right about everything regarding Tolkien

I don't care too much about LOTR to begin with and I never cared much for Gandalf the white. But then again, who cares

Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to GRRM, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Game of Thrones had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. GRRM can say that Bran became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But GRRM doesn’t ask the question: What was Bran’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these Dothraki? By the end of the war, Danaerys is gone but all of the Dothraki aren’t gone – they’re in the Crownlands. Did Bran pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby Dothraki, in their little Dothraki cradles?

>He never said Tolkien was a talentless hack, you shit-stirrer
Tolkien is an absolute hack that never wrote anything decent. In each of is books you can see how things will pan out just by reading the first few pages. A mindless literature written for kids (he said so himself, btw, so don't sperg out on me Tolkien cucks)

>Tolkien is an absolute hack that never wrote anything decent. In each of is books you can see how things will pan out just by reading the first few pages.
A good story you should be able to enjoy even if you know how it ends, user. A good narrative has more to contribute than just twists and turns.

Tolkien wrote as a hobby, he was a fucking professor at Oxford

Attached: 1561221932868.png (366x474, 337K)

>criticizing a war VET, who COMPLETED, four EXCELLENT books
GRRM is an overrated fat failure and his story is a passing fad and will be forgotten completely in ten years

>In each of is books you can see how things will pan out just by reading the first few pages.
>Implying this is a bad thing
You're just a mindless thriller-zombie who has become a slave to twists and other cheap pop culture tactics. The greatest stories in history function this way.

I think the greatest tragedy is this lazy fat fuck of a hack got a hit tv show and got him more famous than he deserved, so he could then go on and say pseudboy things like "I quibble with Tolkien quite often, gentlesirs"

Nice try, pleb.