FLOPzam full box office BREAKDOWN

>Shazam's final box office gross of $363m yielded a net profit (after production budget) of $55m. This makes it the least profitable superhero/comic book movie that actually turned a profit, since X-Men Apocalypse. Which means since 2016, Shazam was only more profitable than Hellboy, Dark Phoenix and Justice League.

>Shazam's domestic haul of $140m is worse than every MCU film except The Incredible Hulk, worse than every DCEU film, worse than literally every Batman film except Batman and Robin (even unadjusted for inflation, this is worse than 1989, 1992 and 1995 Batman films). It's worse than 2005's Fantastic Four, and worse than every single X-Men film except Dark Phoenix and The Wolverine

>Shazam's opening weekend of $53.5m is lower than every MCU and DCEU film. It's worse than even Watchmen's $55m. A hair better than Green Lantern's $53.2m, and only $1m better than Superman Return's $52.5m - a good 13 years earlier. It's OW is worse than every X-Men film except for The Wolverine ($53.1m) and Dark Phoenix ($32.8m)

By the standards of comic book films, Shazam is probably one of the worst performing that wasn't an outright flop. Check the stats for yourself.

So what went wrong??

Attached: 9cb38cae78d01ef7f66a79268946a2d6.jpg (500x750, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CR-gp5Zc1ss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

who cares you fucking faggot.

It's a kids movie disguised as a capeshit.

Box office autists are the biggest fags in existence

>So what went wrong??
your birth

DCucks on damage control AHAHAHAHA

Who cares about anything? Lmao. Why post or discuss in any fucking thread for that matter you autist. School hasnt started yet?

It didnt have any ground to stand on desu. DC is always in a state of flux. Nobody expected aquaman to do so well but I think it sold on its immersive world. Shazam felt like a small scale early 2000 superhero movie. Been there done that. I don't see how it would have ever been massive

>School hasnt started yet?
You're the fucking child making capeshit threads and wanting to discuss children's movies.

Yes, you are right. Avaniggers are worst.

Aquaman made more money than Captain Marvel

It will make a lot of money in reruns on kids channels, censored a bit of course like the board meeting scene.

>Aquaman made more money than Captain Marvel
Nobody wants to see a 2nd Aquaman movie though.

Attached: 1563314181432.jpg (861x861, 56K)

That's what I thought about the first one and it ended up making more money than Captain Marvel

This post was brought to you by the "Aquaman made more money than Captain Marvel" Awareness Foundation

Most capeshit movies are kids movies

WE DID IT REDDIT

it was based kino

Attached: 1532199424215.jpg (539x960, 210K)

To most people it looked really infantile and not worth watching.

There needs to be a Shazam/Captain Marvel crossover.

Attached: fewh2rpiybd31.jpg (1080x1618, 228K)

how is this possible

>have niche movie
>budget it accordingly
>turn a nice profit
>people call it a flop

really gets the noggin joggin

Attached: i get it.png (510x346, 242K)

>net profit of 55 million before home release
>flop
lol

>So what went wrong??
Nothing. Superhero movies should pull 400-500M max so they don't invest millions into annoying marketing everyfuckingwhere.

I think considering how Shazam is not a particularly well known comic book character, it did well.

>comparing net profits instead of return on investment
of course it was a marvelfag redditor who typed this

>SHazam
>getting a spin off and a sequel

>captain Marvel
>going to just team up Brie with better actors to burn through her contract

Attached: this kills the incel.png (1347x627, 78K)

I'm a marvel fan in general but thought Shazam was pretty great and well aimed for its target audience, shame it didn't perform.

I agree. It's a really comfy movie, heartwarming even.

brie is not cute

>make more net profit than Ant Man and the Wasp
>flop
Hard oof from me, bro

Except Warner receives 50% of the gate, while Disney 65%. Ant-Man and the Wasp made at least 3x of Shazam.

>Ant-Man and the Wasp made at least 3x of Shazam.
lol

Can't wait for the sequel

>Except Warner receives 50% of the gate, while Disney 65%
Sure they do friendo, sure they do

> Yes, Disney made at least 200 million profit on the movie but let me tell you how Shazam was more successful.

> Yes, I can do a quick google search to confirm that Disney's share of box office is bigger than the other studios' share but I'll just pretend to be retarded.

I thought it was fun. Reminded me of movies like Hook, just 90s schlock. And it is schlock, full on, with a high enough budget to look "professional".

It wasn't important or phenomenal, it didn't save anyone or prove anything, it was just pretty good and those numbers reflect it. I'd say it's a success. After all of DC's cancer cysts shaped like films I'd just be glade that one of them made profit.

>Disney made at least 200 million profit on the movie
Sure they did friend, sure they did

>bought out theaters
>no one shows up

I wonder who could be behind this...?

> Sure they did friend, sure they did
Yeah, I know, as does everyone else.

> warner buys out theaters
> gets destroyed in home media sales
You guys can't catch a break, can you?

Attached: oh no no no.png (766x312, 23K)

>making shit up to cover that Shazam made more net profit than Ant Man 2 and Aquaman destroyed Captain Marvel
Keep the cringe coming shill I'll be here all day

No one asked for it

most movies are stuff nobody asked for
even most great ones
people dont know what they want until they see it

> Shazam made more net profit than Ant Man 2
As we've already established, it made 3-4x less though.

> Aquaman destroyed Captain Marvel
You seem to be confused. Aquaman was released in 2018 and got dumpstered by Black Panther.

>As we've already established, it made 3-4x less though.
Nah we didn't, you tried to COPE but that's it
>You seem to be confused
Maybe I am, let me check. No, I'm right again Aquaman made more money than Captain Marvel.

Yeah, we did. Otherwise you wouldn't be replying with buzzwords.

> Maybe I am, let me check. No, I'm right again Aquaman made more money than Captain Marvel.
Let me check too. Yep, Aquaman was released the same years as Black Panther and made less money. Turns out Disney always wins.

Ant-Man made double shazam's profit. Cope

>Let me check too
I'm sorry you had to find out like this, I mean Aquaman is kind of a joke character and to see him pissing all over Captain Marvel's cunt face box office wise must have been hard

It's DC's second Christmas themed superhero movie.

imagine being dumb enough to think that movies are an art form and not business investments. cinema literally only exists for profit

Attached: 1514899563528.jpg (419x419, 29K)

Post New Hollywood and Indie Renaissance there is nothing special about Popular films of today.

>film made a profit
>flop

I do not think people here knows the meaning of the term.

Too bad a beloved character like Aquaman got destroyed by literal whos from BP and then by Captain Marvel, who no one knew even existed before this year.

>It's a kids movie disguised as a capeshit
Nope

Attached: 1564884478274.jpg (1920x804, 432K)

>beloved character
lmao
>Captain Marvel
I still can't believe Aquaman defeated her and laughed in her face, fucking based if you ask me

I have no idea. I liked it. It was wholesome.

OH MY GOD THE KIDS WILL HAVE NIGHTMARES THIS IS NOT A KIDS MOVIE!

fuck off autist

I'm sure the sequel will make more after how well-received this was.

You might be forgetting this one movie from 2018, you know, the year that Aquaman was released. I think it made like 2 or 3 billion. Black Panther, look it up.

> I still can't believe Aquaman defeated her
Poor Warner. I guess you can't cheat home media sales by buying out theaters.

Attached: oh no no no.png (766x312, 26K)

>those unit sales
Lmao based Aquachad keeps on dabbing on captain flop
>cheat
Holy COPE

> Made a profit of of $55million
> Production costs of $308 million
> ROI = 17%
Business wise, that's still a win.

> It's a kids movie
This. The real audience for superhero films / capeshit is in the 18-30 crowd. Shazam was intended for the under 18 crowd. While it still found the family friendly audience, it won't do as well as the young / disposable income crowd.

Tl;dr: too many kids, not enough tits

Do you even Jurassic Park?

>both made over a billion dollars
>one the most well known superhero characters in the world only managed to make 200 million more than a female marvel character nobody cared about until the movie came out
fucking embarassing, WB are incompetent

This. BUT WHY

Hey, remember BP? It think it made like 4 billion. That's what, 4x more than Aquaman? You still there?

>those unit sales
I can't tell what's sadder. That Warner has to sell their garbage at bargain bin prices or that DCucks think that higher expenses for LESS revenue is actually a good thing.

> Holy COPE
Not an argument.

I would. It was not bad and I wasn't even a big fan of Momoa as Aquaman. Captain Marvel on the other hand, yeah we don't need another one desu.

and yet it was the best DCEU movie and best movie DC put out since the first DK

>It think
BTFO so hard you can't even write already? No one can blame you, Aquaman made more than Captain Marvel and that's something we all need to learn to live with

This

Box office didn't save Disney from losing you cucks

Ant-Man and Shazam are the best movies
Cope

> BTFO so hard you can't even write already?
Sorry, user, I meant "I." Let's try this again. Hey, remember BP? I think it made like 4 billion. That's what, 4x more than Aquaman?

Is it more clear now? Any comment?

> Aquaman made more
Turns out it didn't. See

The movie was cold boogers on a paper plate. Probably the worst shit I've seen in years. DC is truly dead.

cringe

>announced
Sweetie they'll put dr strange or Spider-Man or whatever in there to save it

the absolute state of dc/wb

LMAO

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-18 2019 in film - Wikipedia.png (497x439, 21K)

>So what went wrong??
Not enough shotas, shit action sequences.

200 million can't buy cuteness brie

> implying Brie could be any more cute

Attached: 1546726842245.webm (1920x1080, 1.87M)

nobody knows what the fuck shazam is

>the least profitable superhero/comic book movie that actually turned a profit

>FLOPzam
>wasn't an outright flop
You're really desperate.

>So what went wrong??
It's a fucking origin movie in 2019. Sorcerer's apprentice at least had Nicolas Cage and wasn't this much of a
>muh cinematic universe
bullshit.

Why does her jaw look like this though

Attached: 4756513401_943f61dcbb_b.jpg (1024x683, 231K)

i do :)

It's nature's greatest miracle.

Attached: booya.webm (1280x720, 2.67M)

This was better than Endgame. Fact.

She needed to gain some weight for Spectacular Now.

Thats sad, it was really good

>Paul Rudd is popular
Right in the infinity stone, yah?

Not even a DCfag but Shazam was legitimately better than almost anything else Marvel or DC put out recently

Yeah, I'm thinking he's a DCfag.

Asher Angel and Jack Dylan Grazer are insanely handsome.

Shazam was great, it’s the best comic book films in years. It had heart and soul and focused on its characters instead of cgi punching.

SHAFLOP HAHAHAHAHA

Nothing. It made a modest profit. The movie yielded an almost 20% profit for two years of investment, in any other market that would be seen as a success. Hollywood cant feasibly expect every movie they release to do double+ on the budget, thats just insanity.

>brie posting

Lower than fungus on a foot.

Shazam is the perfect DC Movie.
/ourguy/ Hi Tops said so.
youtu.be/CR-gp5Zc1ss

Nobody knows who Shazam is, and DC doesn’t have the same brand loyalty as Marvel.

I liked Shazam except for when all those kids suddenly got super powers and also his friend was an annoying as fuck cunt
>dude you should be a total cuck and use your powers to make me look good whenever i want

Wrong.

Attached: 1541366629682.jpg (1363x2048, 966K)

>his friend was suffering and also displayed envy along with all the other sins that are subtletly influencing the MC's character decisions throughout the movie
>even the supporting characters and the villain have a character arc
too deep

Attached: Shazam! (9).webm (600x250, 2.98M)

>invest 150 million and has a return of 55 million
>invest 300 million and has a return of 70 million
>dude, 55 million is clearly worse

>I-it only made 55 millions!

holy cringe

>Spider-Man is not gonna beat either one
what happened?

Attached: hi redchanit.jpg (693x688, 214K)

lol

All capeshit are kids movies, it's just millennials watch them because they are a generation of autistic manchildren.

>absolute state of OP
>absolute state of this thread
>absolute state of this board
Fucking Zoomer faggots

>“I know that I’m gonna have a conversation with my bosses pretty soon about what the idea is and where we’re going with the new movie, but all I really know is that New Line, our studio, and Warner Brothers, our parent studio, and DC, and our producers and executives and everybody who’s involved in all of the decision making, they’re all very happy with what we did. They want to do even better the second time around, and they are crafting a story right now as we speak about what that sequel is going to be.”

Attached: Sins.jpg (2048x858, 443K)

>absolute state of OP
>absolute state of this thread
>absolute state of this board
Fucking Zoomer faggots

Attached: images.png (434x327, 13K)

Google is your friend retard

And that's a good thing

Shazam is the only good DC movie

>Made a profit
>FLOPZAM
So what actually went wrong was Endgames tickets going on sale 2 days before this released all around the world. Bad release date.
It was a good movie so I'm glad it didn't bomb

Two mirrors, one in front, the other behind.

>It's WB's most profitable film of the year (Until IT 2)
>You will still see threads where shitposting anons say WB is going to sell DC

>implying the fact that every other non-Disney blockbuster flopped didn't make Shazam's PROFIT look great
can't stop winning

Attached: Me and my wife.jpg (830x720, 181K)

Attached: Shazam.1.webm (1718x720, 3M)

Attached: Shazam.4.webm (1718x720, 2.97M)

good, i want these superhero movies to fuck off already

Attached: Shazam.6.webm (1718x720, 2.99M)

Did anyone else find this chick really cute

Well they aren't. Joker is the last capefilm of the year and it's set to be another hit.

imagine actually finding this funny in any shape or form

Attached: Milkies.jpg (2048x854, 507K)

WB fucked this movie so hard by giving it the release date it did. Between Captain Marvel and Endgame it's marketing had no room to get clear air.

brie is based. !!!FACT!!!

This. If it had released around about now it would have done a lot better

>Profited 55 million
>A flop

Are you literally retarded?

Attached: 1565981021638.png (416x402, 92K)

They're here to stay and you're just gonna have to cope. Why don't you go back to r/truefilm and circlejerk over Citizen Kane with the fellow "patricians" over there?

Imagine if they actually marketed it and released it at Christmas so it didn't have to compete with fucking endgame

>!!!FACT!!!
how stupid do you feel trying to force this meme and you're stil the only one doing it

Or released it now when there's nothing to compete with. I guess there was New Mutants but I would have taken my chances against that than the fucking death slot WB put it in.

What would it be competing with at Christmas?

Star Wars and Jumanji 2

Jumanji and Star Wars

Jumanji 3* I guess

Honestly is Star Wars really big competition anymore?

Accept me Yea Forums I'm releasing videos of me on the tub for acceptance. PLEASE NOTICE ME SEMPAI!

N-nooooooooooo