Holy shit the writing is masterful. How did Rick and Morty get big but not this?

Holy shit the writing is masterful. How did Rick and Morty get big but not this?

Attached: 3955409.jpg (665x375, 66K)

It did get big. It was huge.

They just stopped making it regularly and the breaks between seasons became so long that a lot of people lost interest or thought it wasn't being made anymore.

I still love it. Last season was great.

because it takes so fucking long for them to make it

Same reason why Rick And Monty will stop being popular. The breaks between seasons

Because the middle seasons were perceived as complete dogshit by the general population.

They make a new season every two decades.

it was one of adult swims most popular shows. it was so popular in fact the creators have some weird agreement where they can just take as long as they want to make another season.

>We don't have a mom.
>...

too nuanced

I dont think you can say it was as big as rick and morty, that shit is everywhere. I think the reason is that it released before social media was really a thing, also the time between seasons.

Zoomers and most millennials don't get the obscure references. It's the Dennis Miller of animated series.

It gets accused of being overrated a lot but it really is a great show.

It’s all a matter of accessibility.

Venture Bros’ core parody, on the most surface levels, is Jonny Quest while Rick and Morty’s is Back to the Future. Rick and Morty mainly spoofs sitcoms and sci-fi blockbusters while Venture Bros spoofs silver age Saturday morning action shows and comic books (in a pre-MCU world). Venture Bros has a shitton of characters and serialization while Rick and Morty is an episodic sitcom. Venture Bros jokes are all character or reference driven, meaning they don’t meme well like Rick and Morty’s lolrandom and pseudo science jokes. Venture Bros came out in an era before streaming was a big thing so a show that aired in the middle of the night every so often was unlikely to be seen. Venture Bros also never had any press while Rick and Morty had instant press just by using known actors.

The fuck? This is one of the few shows that stayed consistent throughout.

it’s just a string of references to shitty cartoons and crap from years ago

It started airing in Adult Swim's golden age. Long before the Zoomers found Adult Swim and ruined it.

One of the reasons I hate Rick and Morty these days is because it gets so much attention while Venture Brothers, a far better show, is hardly talked about. Certainly there tons more R&M merch. It almost seems like fucking Pickle Rick alone has more merch than Venture Bros.

Attached: rickandmortyface venture.png (727x614, 136K)

Rick and Morty has a character that constantly has moments where he not only proves his wits but belittles others while doing so. Rick is intellectually infallible and although the show repeatedly reminds us that being the smartest person in the universe means being the loneliest, dumb people only pay attention to his triumphs. This is a power fantasy that most people of average to below-average intelligence glom onto the same way they think being Tony Montana or Walter White would be awesome.

Venture Bros on the other hand shows how unremarkable the people lauded as geniuses really are. There is no curtain to pull back and reveal the wizard of oz as just a man because we see how pathetic Dr Venture is from the jump. Ultimately the Venture Bros audience is smarter because they realize no one should aspire to be either Rick or Rusty, that they’re both social failures. The problem is the fan base is much less vocal because there is no power fantasy catharsis, but it’s comfy seeing the people propped up as your superiors being no better than you or I.

That image should be the reverse.

Excited for the next season

That's just on the surface. That's the window dressing. They use that as a medium. Underneath it is a well written drama comedy about family. It's fare more nuanced and better paced than the writing on R&M.

It's Dean opening up Hank's eyes to the world of dabbing.

Based analysis

Speaking of R&M. When you have a 10 episode season why the fuck do you need an entire writer's room when it takes 2 years to produce said 10 episodes? Cant Dan Harmon sit down for 2 or 3 months are write 10 episodes?

Not really, I lost interest when in went from 80s adventure cartoon satire to capeshit satire

what characters is brock in reference to?

Attached: russian_murder_machine_by_jack136-d5wf70n.png (1920x1080, 2.19M)

It's full of a lot Gen X-tier obscure references. As others have noted, the humor is character driven, it means you have to pay attention and actually watch the show rather than play with your phone while it's on in the background.

Since Marvel movies have come to dominate the superhero/adventure medium, Zoomers today probably can't relate much to it at all. If you didn't watch Saturday morning cartoons in the 80s or 90s much of the humor and references may be lost. It doesn't help that the entire style “What if [Insert Popular TV Show] were actually real and were bad at their jobs” schtick ran dry a decade ago. This was still novel when VB first came out. Now, it's a played out concept, but Venture Bros still does it well.

Rick is a Gary-Stu insert for the nihilistic “I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE XD,” whereas the Venture Bros is a show about failure.

They had some rough patches, especially the start of season 3 and most of Season 6, but even at their worst they're better than 90% of what's out there.

In the model of Johnny Quest he’s Race Bannon, the bodyguard to the doc and his boys, but they show Race as a cameo briefly so he’s kind of a melange of different hyper violent characters (James Bond, Wolverine, etc)

Went from a funny comedy show spoofing Silver Age superheroes and Johnny Quest every year to being a soap operaromantic drama once every 3 years

its definitely not a drama, and they only really did the whole spoof thing for half a season before it became its own thing.

>I think the reason is that it released before social media was really a thing
t. zoomer or boomer who tries to understand zoomers

Quality versus quantity. The majority of people are stupid.

/thread

It has been going on for like a fucking decade so everyone forgets it exists between seasons

I was very disappointed in the last season. It's my favorite show of all time but I choose to believe it ended when the compound burned down

Because Doc Hammer is a self absorbed dickhead that literally thinks he’s better than everyone.

I always respected this side of Adult Swim but I always preferred the retarded bullshit of ATHF

He literally is though

>ATHF

Attached: mayor-menino-athf.jpg (257x187, 8K)

Pilot dropped in 2003.

Sixteen years later they are on season - what 6?

both shows were genius in their own ways

Only the first few seasons are good

Didn't they lose funding and have to animate it themselves? Thought I read that somewhere

That contract situation of VB has nothing to do with the show's popularity.
When the show was first pitched Lazzo thought it was something that was going to spin a ton of merch so Hammer & Publick agreed to sign away merchandising rights for concessions for their creative control including the right to take the show elsewhere. Lazzo would later feel like he got burned and try to sabotage the show by essentially refusing to make any merch which is why the only reason VB related products is the T-shirt club which skirts around the very edge of [as]'s right to all VB merchandise.

These things take time.

Attached: gabe will gut you like a fish 1345421037513.jpg (620x350, 51K)

MY NAME IS

Yea... :(

At least he has something to show for it

You say this based on?

SHAKE ZULA
THE MIC RULA

Okay but Rick and Morty is shit now.

I hate yet to not enjoy one season, I'd rather have slower and better. If only they could make more episodes, like in season 4

Fucking same, man. That’s why the pilot Rick and Morty episode will always be the best.

Season 7 but pretty I get your point. Supposedly it's all hand drawn so it takes longer than other shows. IDK if that all adds up for time wise, but they probably need a good year or so between seasons to get really fucked up and fuck skanky pussy with all that money they make.

>Venture Bros is a show about failure
Fuck off.

I'm kind of happy it doesn't get talked about as much. It's much better written and way funnier, but I don't want annoying normies referencing it everywhere.

Although someone did reference it the other day and it was actually a funny thing so maybe it wouldn't be bad since the source is good, and i'm just being contrarian

I've tried showing it to my normie friends before. The same ones that love Rick&Morty.
The humor is totally lost on them.

He's also a reference to how incredibly violent the original Johnny Quest cartoon was.

it... it did get big, man.

it's just that it's been 15 years.

I really miss the days where adult swim would spam commercials for this show nonstop because they knew they had something good. Different times.

>How did Rick and Morty get big but not this?
The first episode is awful.

hold on, you're saying the pilot episode (animated in flash) is not indicative of the show's quality at large? holy shit you cracked the code

Attached: zoom-zoom.png (504x381, 323K)

THE OLD SCHOOLA
YOU WANNA TRICK?
I'LL BRING IT TO YA