Which version of Apocalypse Now should I watch?

Which version of Apocalypse Now should I watch?

Original release - 153 minutes
Redux - 202 minutes
Final Cut (Comes out Aug 27th) - 182 minutes

Attached: apo.jpg (1204x600, 308K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/08/apocalypse-now-final-cut-francis-ford-coppola-interview
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dds

sneedux cut

Theatrical with the original credits.

redux

betabux

Just watched Final Cut, must have released earlier in the UK. What’s in the Redux that’s not in the Final Cut? FC has the plantation scene (which I found was out of place in the film, unnecessary) but I didn’t identify much more added material.

I can't find final cut on torrent trackers, to be honest.
From what I heard, Redux has a mix of good and bad extra material, shit that feels like it doesn't belong and just fucks with the pacing. I may have to go theatrical for a first viewing.

Clarify

i only watched redux and it was honestly kind of boring, some scenes which neither advanced the plot or helped establish the athmosphere of the increasing insanity, it just seemed a bit bloated and overly long

Why the fuck is Coppola doing another cut? I'll go watch it because theater screen but this pisses me off, I just want to see the original cut. That's some Ridley Scott bullshit.

I am downloading the theatrical 1979 release. I have no idea what you mean by this, are there also alternate versions of the 1979 versions?
The one I'm downloading is called original 1979

The five hour workprint.

Coppola has cut the medevac sequence for Final Cut. “I felt there was reason to shoot those bizarre little vignettes of those little 18-year-old girls,” he said. “I was trying to show that their being used to titillate people sexually wasn’t a lot different from those 18-year-old boys, [and] the abuse heaped on them when they’re sent to war. But my instinct now tells me that, in the overall continuity of the movie, that scene [doesn’t belong thematically]. It’s included as an extra [on the Blu-ray] if people want to see it.”

Removing the medevac scene was a good call; it reads as too sexually exploitative for the #MeToo era.

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/08/apocalypse-now-final-cut-francis-ford-coppola-interview

Oh for fucks sake

I think he's talking about how the original theatrical version included credits superimposed over the temple ruins being destroyed, the implication being that Willard called in the airstrike on the compound after killing Kurtz. Coppola decided he didn't want to imply this ending so he removed the footage from later credits.

>4k Atmos HDR emaster is out in a week.
thanks for the reminder OP, this is going to be beyond kino

its for the 4k Blu-Ray. and you can watch the original cut thats what the Theatrical Cut is.

Original cut is perfect. The other versions are worth watching later to see the added scenes but definitely start with the theatrical version.

This guy is hack. make just one cut and make it count.

(Original) Theatrical all the way.

save 3 hours of your life and skip this pointless boomer garbage entirely

He did with the original 1979 cut, then he got greedy and started releasing versions which included footage and scenes that he (rightfully) considered garbage at the time of filming.

theatrical is real kino

thanks for spoiling the film for me before I watched it.
I appreciate it.

Yeah it's what I ended up going with. I also downloaded Hearts of Darkness.

It's incredible how the theatrical is a legit 9/10 masterpiece but the Redux is 5/10 garbage. Shows how delicate an art editing really is.

Did the producer meddle with the movie to justify this many cuts of one film. It still piss me off that there is seven different cuts of blade runner.

Once again, the theatrical cut of BladeRunner is by far the best. Any movie that is highly regarded or has great reviews you should watch the original cut because that's the one that made it famous. The only films where the extended cut is much better are Snyder kinos, Once Upon A Time In America, maybe Lord Of The Rings, and Kingdom Of Heaven.

final cut is in theaters right now and won't come out on bluray for another week or so, then it will start popping up on torrent sites

I've also never seen this movie, do I get the theatrical 1080 or wait for the final cut 4k to watch on my 4k tv?

Going by the replies in this thread and what research I've done, Theatrical is 100% the way to go for a first viewing.

What happened in the plantation scene again?

I kinda agree. For a first time watch I'd always say US theatrical as it has the voice over to help the viewer understand and get some of the concepts. But the final cut has a better ending and the removal of the voice-over allows for more objectivity in viewing.

I don't see why people get annoyed by different cuts. Especially when most people pirate or stream, it's not like you have to own 5 physical different copies.

Just choose the one with the best poster.
The original of course

huh? redux is 196 minutes. a perfect film.

Theatrical cut with the Kurtz compound being hit with the airstrike.

It’s just to explain that the French had colonized Vietnam but got blown out in the 50s

That scene gets such a bad rap. It also explores the depth of Willard when he sleeps with the widow. “There are two of you. One that kills and one that loves.”

is it 1979 again ?

redux was necessary because there was just so much unused footage and technology was there to present it. i get it. but this is some major cashgrab BULLSHIT. no reason for this one to exist. they didnt even add anything, they simply cut the 2nd bunnies scene. sad! fuck crappola.

Well I hadn't seen it, and you knew that.

I think they just wanted to re-release it in 4K and came up with this to garner more attention

Attached: Lynda Carter Apocalypse Now autism.jpg (1920x2372, 1.11M)

nah I'm a different dude
was just curious

Shame I had to get spoiled literally as I'm downloading the movie to watch it.
Oh well, I doubt it impacts it much, bit of a shame though.

44th for is that you John Wayne, is this me?

get the fuck out of here before more is spoiled. enjoy the film.

you watch Apocalypse Now for the helicopter and boat action anyway

Would you say I've ruined the experience a bit now by being spoiled?
I now know he dies and that his part in the movie is largely allocated to like the third act.

which one is the best ?

redux. meditative and soothing

great movies aren't spoiled by plot points being revealed
apocalypse now has to be watched, knowing the ending doesn't change the experience at all

Redux > Original > Final Cut
Director's should learn when to let go.

watch both the original and redux and then come to the conclusion that there was a good reason why those redux scenes were cut

none, it's boring, add all those bullshit from the different cuts it's nigh impossible.
What predator or something if you want to jungle war movies, not soiboi libshits movie

Not him but I think It means how the credits were originally intended, that is, no credits at all

This is a correct answer.

Redux is just filled with useless scenes that lessen the impact of the film:
We got Sheen laughing his ass off as he steals the surfboard for some kind of comedic effect.
The additional bunnies scene with that random dead guy in the trunk which I still don't understand to this day.
Useless French plantation house.
And Kurtz reading a time magazine article in broad daylight showing how much of a fatass he is, even though every other scene he either is shrouded in darkness or a body double is used to hide his fatness

thanks, user. You've comforted me.

>1979
>apocalypse now
>2019
>still not apocalypse
what gives?

only ever saw the redux, with my uncle complaining about the added scenes. the french dinner scene had a few good lines, but I’m inclined to agree with him.

surfboard scene is establishing how willard is being influenced by the theaters of war he's passing through. kilgore was fighting the war like it was a game of grabass, so willard starts in with the grabass. It makes the idea that people are products of their environments a central theme of the movie.

>watching the boring shit that was cut out of the original
watch the theatrical cut

No it’s supposed to be a dreamlike calm (it even has a good introduction with some beautiful fog shots) before the descent into madness

It’s way too fucking long though

Highly recommend seeing the final cut in imax tomorrow bros. Peak kinema

So just to be clear, when people talk about alternate endings for the original film, they only mean the credit sequence?

I don't have friends.

there was a completely different ending scripted where the airstrike is fought off but it's not in any of the versions

Avoid redux at all costs.

Redux

More Brando for your buck

Attached: 6a00d8341c2b7953ef01b7c90575e2970b.jpg (1278x639, 83K)

watch theatrical cut first. it is solid as fuck and it should be regarded as the definitive edition. the other two cuts should be watched as addendums after you're familiar with the original

reminder: the theatrical cut is for plebs

Whew, he's a big guy.

for himself