Midsommar

Just like Hereditary, Ari Aster succeeds in disturbing imagery to frighten and confuse the viewer.
The beginning starts off strong with delicious cinematography (which you'll find in the rest of the movie) as you hear a woman sign with a shot of Danis parents town and the surrounding area. The snowy landscape and creep into darkness with every shot builds a slight tension.
Finally landing on the house, reminding me of the shots of the house in Hereditary. Already a bit chilling. This first couple of minutes plays into the themes of family and responsibility, a very real dilemma that people face everyday. Which helps psychologically break down the mindset of the audience into really thinking about what is being shown, and what isn't. The tragedy that befalls Dani comes as a surprise to the viewer not because it isn't expected but the way it is delivered. Aster let's the shots linger on the horror for just enough time for it to sink in but not over welcome it's stay.

I'm still developing my review but that basically sums up how I feel about the film and how I would describe it to someone. I liked it, not sure if I loved it yet. I think I may still like Hereditary better. But that might change after a couple more viewings. I like Ari Aster's movies s far, I'm interested in what he'll do next. Whether it be psychological horror or something else.
What did you gays think of it?

Attached: Midsommar-Trailer-2.jpg (798x420, 34K)

>Just like Hereditary, Ari Aster succeeds in disturbing imagery to frighten and confuse the viewer.
The beginning starts off strong with delicious cinematography (which you'll find in the rest of the movie) as you hear a woman sign with a shot of Danis parents town and the surrounding area. The snowy landscape and creep into darkness with every shot builds a slight tension.
>Finally landing on the house, reminding me of the shots of the house in Hereditary. Already a bit chilling. This first couple of minutes plays into the themes of family and responsibility, a very real dilemma that people face everyday. Which helps psychologically break down the mindset of the audience into really thinking about what is being shown, and what isn't. The tragedy that befalls Dani comes as a surprise to the viewer not because it isn't expected but the way it is delivered. Aster let's the shots linger on the horror for just enough time for it to sink in but not over welcome it's stay.

>I'm still developing my review but that basically sums up how I feel about the film and how I would describe it to someone. I liked it, not sure if I loved it yet. I think I may still like Hereditary better. But that might change after a couple more viewings. I like Ari Aster's movies s far, I'm interested in what he'll do next. Whether it be psychological horror or something else.
What did you gays think of it?

Attached: 1565873396022.png (454x520, 11K)

I enjoyed it but I think Hereditary is superior for a number of reasons. There are a few flaws in Midsommar that really hold it back. The biggest one is the complete lack of compelling characters. There's just no reason to give a shit about anyone in the movie. Compare to Hereditary where you really start to care about the mom and the son and get invested in their stories, during the son's scenes you feel his growing sense of terror as the walls close in on him and during the mom's scenes you feel her determination to save her family and her fear that it won't be possible.
Characters in Midsommar, who gives a fuck? Closest one to a character other than Dani is that black dude who's obsessed with Euro-pagan history, but even he doesn't quite make the cut. The other two are write offs. Bland and unlikable.
I personally think the first sequence is a complete waste of time and is tonally discordant with the rest of the movie. Even the title card set to the snowy backdrop is like what the fuck? Is this meant to be ironic? I don't need a twenty minute sequence explaining to me all this shit, just have it explained through dialogue.
Also if Ari's next movie has dolls with body parts sewn into them and some peaceful but horrific ritual as the ending someone needs to send him a strongly worded email suggesting he shake things up a bit.
Overall I think Midsommar is a great companion piece to Hereditary but its not nearly as strong of a movie. Still a good film, but it didn't blow me away like Hereditary did.

>I enjoyed it but I think Hereditary is superior for a number of reasons. >There are a few flaws in Midsommar that really hold it back. The biggest one is the complete lack of compelling characters. >There's just no reason to give a shit about anyone in the movie. Compare to Hereditary where you really start to care about the mom and the son and get invested in their stories, during the son's scenes you feel his growing sense of terror as the walls close in on him and during the mom's scenes you feel her determination to save her family and her fear that it won't be possible.
>Characters in Midsommar, who gives a fuck? Closest one to a character other than Dani is that black dude who's obsessed with Euro-pagan history, but even he doesn't quite make the cut. The other two are write offs. Bland and unlikable.
>I personally think the first sequence is a complete waste of time and is tonally discordant with the rest of the movie. Even the title card set to the snowy backdrop is like what the fuck? Is this meant to be ironic? I don't need a twenty minute sequence explaining to me all this shit, just have it explained through dialogue.
>Also if Ari's next movie has dolls with body parts sewn into them and some peaceful but horrific ritual as the ending someone needs to send him a strongly worded email suggesting he shake things up a bit.
>Overall I think Midsommar is a great companion piece to Hereditary but its not nearly as strong of a movie. Still a good film, but it didn't blow me away like Hereditary did.

Attached: 1565199437266.png (454x520, 11K)

>Oh no people want to actually discuss movies! Quick shut it down shut it down!

Fuck off, this shit is getting so old

Memers have no soul.

I guess your right but i still liked the imagery. I does seem like a rehash of Hereditary. I hope he does something different later.

I hated this movie so much.

Hated, hated, hated it.

Hated.

>Fuck off, this shit is getting so old

>Memers have no soul.

>I guess your right but i still liked the imagery. I does seem like a rehash of Hereditary. I hope he does something different later.

Attached: 1565199542555.png (454x520, 11K)

Getting lazy there

Explain why?

>Getting lazy there

Attached: 1565199603739.png (454x520, 11K)

I loved the imagery. The movie to me is insanely well-crafted but not well thought out, if that makes sense.

I am a queer little gayboy moron who likes to post soi memes on the internet because I'm such a fucking loser

haha okay this is based... this is deep

Attached: C702166B-AB61-4BAD-B820-37920ADD1C36.jpg (500x500, 16K)

Hereditary was a shit movie. Random "creepy" shit with no explanation for how or why it was there.

From everything I've read; Midsommer sounds like a more imaginative yet easier to follow and more visually aesthetic Hereditary. And I really hope it is. Because I liked the first 90 minutes of Hereditary A LOT.
After the scene with Joan yelling across the street I lost 80% of my focus. The welcome mats? Are we children?

brainlet

>t.

Attached: 1565876606227.png (454x520, 7K)

kek, got you mate

>kek, got you mate

Attached: 1566004793337.png (239x211, 33K)

My favorite part of this is how it took him nearly ten minutes to figure out how to respond.

No payoff in the third act. All that build up for literally nothing.

It started out as in interesting cultural study, good potential for an interesting take on horror, and it devolves into just another Ten Little Indians.

And we knew that building was going to burn anyway.

I haven't seen such a failed execution in quite a while

>

Attached: 1564923688543.png (454x520, 11K)

I thought the ending was really satisfying with everything going to shit for the family and it all coming together with what the occultists wanted to achieve.

you didn’t watch it, you liar

>I thought the ending was really satisfying with everything going to shit for the family and it all coming together with what the occultists wanted to achieve.

Attached: received_377327362919698.png (454x520, 6K)

Oh god this meme, its happening

Torrent... mega... please...

A wasted thread.

I tried....

Its just one impressively dedicated autist forcing it

florence didn't get her tits out

honestly, just takes another autist to join him for it to get out of hand