Adaptation when?

Adaptation when?

Attached: Hyperion_cover.jpg (220x383, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XVekJTmtwqM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ahem, can we at least have some priorities here

Attached: 913k46k9f1L.jpg (1227x2083, 544K)

1996, when people gave a shit and you were an adolescent, making this seem impressive.

Never if you are truly lucky. How often is an adaptation any good?

on the other hand...

Attached: 220px-TSTRSMD1957.jpg (220x369, 29K)

Adaptation when?

Attached: HoL.jpg (360x474, 28K)

I don't think anyone could do the battle scenes justice

hypeiron is an overrated piece of shit

As soon as pic related gets adapted first

Attached: blood meridian.png (868x560, 338K)

Yeah I didnt get it

This could work as a miniseries. The wandering jew might be a problem.

Holy fuck, this book was trash. No story to speak of, just a whole lot of worldbuilding.

>No story to speak of
Are you retarded, the pilgrimage was just a framing device for a bunch of loosely connected short stories.
Let me guess, you never read Chaucer.

>No story to speak of, just a whole lot of worldbuilding.

Attached: _--snapshot-path_2019-08-14-21h50m41s616.png (1920x1080, 1.44M)

The only intresting story was the priest guy who finds the weird tribe I cant remember the details

You literally just repeated what I said. What's the point of even having an overarching storyline if it never goes anywhere?

Attached: pooh.png (320x287, 104K)

Not that guy, but I found the backstories more interesting than the actual plot of the first part. Book 2 loses the frame narrative, which was inevitable I guess, and it turns into utter shit.

youtu.be/XVekJTmtwqM

That's the point. It's the Canterbury Tales IN SPACE! It doesn't have an ending because chaucer died before completing it, so it just sort of stops.
The only reason there are sequels is because his publisher probably threw fucking money at him to write them.
Also Simmons is pretty hacky, and is all set up and no pay off.

>It's the Canterbury Tales IN SPACE!
Doesn't make it good, just boring AND derivative.

Attached: 3128BD31-AF6F-4EF2-BAC2-2497D3C42498.jpg (1400x2298, 526K)

What I'm implying is that you're an illiterate moron and that even genre fiction is 6deep12u, your opinion is like cold greasy shit.

chain of dogs adaptation WHEN

Attached: 61dr2tHsXtL.jpg (709x1176, 117K)

some stuff would work great as movies. Others, not so much.
Why is sci-fi so comfy anyways? I suppose the future is always fun to think about.

Attached: 8F5D0FCC-3045-4B53-9996-7E701902BE5A.jpg (4032x977, 1.6M)

Jew > Consul > Priest > Soldier > Poet > Woman

What kind of weird sorting system did you use for that shelf?

>SM Stirling
Okay, this is based

the best kind, somewhat random. Once I fill up a 2nd shelf I'll sort it proper.

the ending is too depressing for modern audiences

What didn't satisfy you about the ending?

Literally a no IQ shitskin. What nonwestern nation did you grow up in?

>No Lem
>No Stapledon
>No Delaney
You're not a total asshole, but you've still got some good stuff to read.

Attached: dhalgren.jpg (1005x1600, 145K)

y’all are nuts, hyperion is one of the richest and most creative sci fi books IMO

They'd just fill it with niggers like Wheel of Time and Dune.

Not in a million years.

>no story

Attached: 2C74F3A4-55ED-46B9-BF9B-C18D5FEBCDFE.png (259x194, 3K)

Dune anit filled with nigger, claim down

Do Yea Forums likes this guy?

Attached: 81W6aWqL70L.jpg (1000x1581, 265K)

Nothing in that post indicates that the ending left him unsatisfied; just that there was no end to the narrative. I don't think anyone can, in good faith, argue that the first book had a proper ending to the framing narrative.

I know the movie was one of the worst pieces of gook trash I've ever seen.

Why would that matter?

I haven't been seeking out specific stuff. I just pick up whatever is at the local goodwill or used book section of coffee shops.
As a result, not as popular sci-fi books aren't really present in my library.

What would you recommend?

>does Yea Forums like genre fiction?
You mean /sffg/.
Short answer is, yes, those guys will literally read any sort of shit as long as it has either space ships or magic dragons.
That chink is a fucking hack.

The movie was good.

>no Skylark saga
>no Lensman

Attached: 1515685888805.jpg (679x960, 111K)

>Also Simmons is pretty hacky, and is all set up and no payoff.

The fuck are you talking about? Can you explain what you mean by the "framing narrative?"

I THOUGHT I was the sort of guy that would read any sci fi thrown in front of me.
Then I started to read Hellstrom's Hive. Holy fuck, I couldn't get further than a chapter in before I gave up.

adding time enough for love by heinlein, micromegas by voltaire, and the left hand of darkness by le guin as some others you ought to read
just check out the /sff/ general in Yea Forums if you haven't already

Would be fun desu

Attached: 2154101.jpg (313x475, 25K)

I had assumed the 'all setup and no payoff' was just a general criticism of Simmons. The Terror and Summer of Darkness also had shitty last acts.

The framing narrative is the pilgrimage. The book is a bunch of stories but uses the narrative of the seven pilgrims as an excuse to tell each of the stories without it just feeling like an anthology. Elements and meta-discussion of the stories is also possible so things like unreliable narrators, exposition/additional world building, and foreshadowing is possible by having characters in the framing narrative talk about the individual short stories. The pilgrimage is the 'frame' through which the other stories are observed.

Read The Three-Body Problem by that chink guy.
And did you read Clarke novels? Outside hard sf parts they're horrible chore to read.

>No Delaney
Not having a gay pedophile in your library is a plus in my book.

God willing, never.

>3001

I legitimately want to see an adaptation of this.

>Neutron Star

Larry Niven was great before he turned into a horny bastard

>Footfall

Basically already made. you could probably edit together existing movies into something identical.

>Lucifer's Hammer

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been done yet.

>Jannisaries

Missed it's window of "socially acceptable" by 40 years. No way in hell that gets made faithfully today.
Most of Arthur C Clarke's stuff is a little to dense for good adaptation

Alright, I see what you mean, I guess I'm just not wholly sure I understand how you would ideally want something like that to conclude if you both think that the framing narrative as you've put it, wasn't tied up and that you ARE satisfied with the ending.

Attached: 9781427209344.jpg (344x550, 48K)

What the fuck is Drood about? I can't find an actual description of its story.

Attached: 1565770186086.gif (499x175, 1.52M)

Attached: 81J4LjdqQFL.jpg (1078x1725, 467K)

I just noticed I have two copies of childhood's end. Maybe I should sort my books, hmmm

Imagine a Song of Kali adaptation.

Attached: sok.jpg (257x343, 27K)

this would be a decent series

sadly Ender's Game already fucked up

Attached: 30037103144.jpg (1017x1500, 163K)

Pajeets literally rioting in the streets

Shame Hollywood went full capeshit during those brief years when all that YA bullshit was relevant (Hunger Games, Divergent, etc) and this guy never got to sign a deal.
Now all the anti-, subversive, "deconstructive" things we'll have for a while is stuff like The Boys.

Attached: 91aMvrcfA5L.jpg (1541x2400, 851K)

with all these adaptations coming out, dune, wot, got, etc, it gives me hope for all the big names in sff. i think people want escapism more than anything else right now.
the one i'd like to see the most is book of the new sun, but i don't have high hopes since it's extremely normie-unfriendly
i think the left hand of darkness is probably the most likely book/series to be adapted next

Attached: 60211.jpg (318x463, 61K)

>I guess I'm just not wholly sure I understand how you would ideally want something like that to conclude if you both think that the framing narrative as you've put it, wasn't tied up and that you ARE satisfied with the ending.
It should have ended there, really.
For the record I like the rest of the books well enough as genre trash space opera, but they're like EU based on what was set up in Hyperion. Having fun in the sandbox.
Illium and Olympus was the last straw. Illium is pretty great with the random story lines and how the eventually converge into the trojan war being co-opted by transhuman's larping as greek gods and cybernetic bugmen.
Then olympus is this half asssed first draft that turns to fucking trash and spends pages describing hera and zeus fucking.
A stupid hide and seek ending with gollum, and pic related is the guy who was behind it all.

Attached: brain.png (720x536, 129K)

TV series a-la got

Attached: 9780812987904.jpg (338x450, 55K)

the whole thing is depressing, its like a constant slow beatdown

If your library is part of a bigger network they can request a transfer. Just talk to the librarian.
You should be able to find a copy of Solaris.
Pic related, By Clifford D. Simak is breddy gud. It's another anthology with a framing device of a robot telling the hyper intelligent dogs that inherited the world from man the story of where people went.

Attached: clifford d simak city.jpg (383x640, 55K)

>Literally 90% of the book is just describing how much of a shithole india is
>sex scene with the claymation shiva from the golden child
>wading through a mountain of trash and human feces
>dead baby packed full of drugs
>end of the book is a guy deciding to not go ahead with his shooting spree
fund it

yeah ok retard

You have the whole Pirates of the Caribbean cinematic universe for book 2.
I kinda liked the books but in retrospect they're almost as reddit as Rothfuss.

Well most authors ITT were reddit tier in their age. Especially Hugo/Nebula awards

Why? It's not like he's a stereotype or a villain.
Literally unadaptable because of how the book is written. Getting rid of the narration would ruin everything great about it.

>t. didn't read Fall, Endymion, and Rise
Fall is great because of how the UI is set up, and people moan about worldbuilding but Dan describing in detail the fall of the hegemony was fucking great. The Endymion books are just as good, except Paul is a shitty protagonist. however this is completely balanced out by Father Captain de Soya, who is the most based character in existence. The only people who wouldn't enjoy Endymion and Rise are low IQ crusader larpers who have know concept of what it really means to be a Christian.

and I like his prose.

A very clever writer could maybe do it justice. Just save all the it was the FAR FUTURE things for the end, like don't show Vodalus' gun or the obvious rocketship towers and downplay that aspect as much as possible. For Severian's iterations, there's a movie like Mr. Nobody which takes that concept to a silly extreme.
Sadly film making in general is just scared of inner monologue and it would require a huge amount of talent, more so for the actor playing Severian to pull it off.
Mainstream would hate it for how unsatisfying it seems to be at first so there is hardly any reason to adapt it.

Maybe one day there will be a video game or an anime.

>it was the FAR FUTURE things for the end

it's not supposed to be a twist

Indeed, but it's not revealed straight away neither. Partly because Severian is decidedly moronic and has no frame of reference to date the things he see.s Partly because Wolfe imbued the text with as many anachronisms and as little details as possible. Pieces start to fall in place as the story progresses so it would make sense to reveal the setting slowly.

I first realized it in chapter 3 or wherever it is they excruciate Thecla and it was the most otherworldly experience I ever had with a book.