ITT god tier underappreciated movies

ITT god tier underappreciated movies

Attached: the-conversation-movie-poster-1974-1020299110.jpg (580x834, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IrPWkIRWY9U
youtube.com/watch?v=uJE3Zqb9zXY
consequenceofsound.net/2019/04/francis-ford-coppola-megalopolis-production/
indiewire.com/2019/04/francis-ford-coppola-megalopolis-passion-project-1202055953/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I can not think of one right now. Have a bump

Attached: image.jpg (960x1440, 258K)

>He'd kill US if he had the chance.

where did they hide the microphone in his apartment?

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, if we're talking Yea Forums

Why were the 70s the best decade for film?

Attached: sorcerer.jpg (630x1200, 143K)

Attached: the-devils-american-poster-1.jpg (1074x1600, 904K)

G R I T T

Directors having greater control of their own films and being able to make passion projects with big money.

Attached: MV5BMjA3MDcyOTAzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzUwMDc5._V1_.jpg (280x475, 30K)

The saxophone

Attached: MV5BNGI0M2M2MzgtZGVjYS00ODZkLWI4NTEtYzEyNzUzYzgxMTM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg (1000x1580, 279K)

Ehh... it had potential, no doubt about that. But you have to admit, it had some SERIOUS editing issues. That party sequence at Harry’s (workshop? Home?) place went on literally forever. I think the whole movie was rushed through production, but still came out fairly well. Hackman honestly can’t give a bad performance.

This looks goddamn kino.

it is. make sure you watch the uncut version.

Jack “I fucked literally every piece of ass in Hollywood and no star-manlet soiboi will ever top my score” Nicholson

Attached: 4F610982-1D10-43F3-8032-ADE9110ED9A0.jpg (252x189, 4K)

youtube.com/watch?v=IrPWkIRWY9U

Giorgio is a beast

Attached: image.jpg (620x375, 28K)

Attached: after_hours_xlg.jpg (989x1500, 484K)

still following the experimentalism of "new hollywood" from the late 60s while still trying to be mainstream, it was the perfect middle ground. of course, there was a lot of shit, but when films hit they hit
five easy pieces is incredibly underrated despite le diner scene being the only real well known scene by normies
it's lesser known sort of successor by the same director, king of marvin gardens, is forgotten by time. it's nicholson actually doing a held back performance as a bit of a loser

Attached: 3239.jpg (1001x552, 248K)

Yes.
The Man Who Sleeps (1974)
Parallax View (1974)
Hausu (1977)
El Topo (1970)
The Offence (1973)
The Ascent (1977)
Suspiria (1977)
Duvidha (1973)
Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Way better than the 1963 version (and hotter too)

Attached: F966A436-3B41-4DFC-A704-7C7F0B06B2D5.jpg (182x268, 22K)

El Topo is my third favorite film of all time.

Attached: 2385712.jpg (707x1000, 183K)

This box set is godly, weirdly enough Head has become a favorite of mine (it's essentially the Monkies making a shitpost of their entire career in film form).

Attached: image.jpg (1206x1500, 286K)

Attached: black hawk down.jpg (387x580, 63K)

still need to see head, i just recently read about bob rafelson's assocation with the monkees and never knew he was that close to them, just find it strange knowing the guy who made a film as emotional as five easy pieces had a huge part in creating the monkees
nicholson was on top of the world during that whole movement, i'm glad he's still around
i just read about peter fonda, F. easy rider is a masterpiece on it's own. it seemed like every artist somehow met each other during this time too, toni basil appears in both easy rider and five easy pieces, i'm aware zappa appears in head

I started watching all the >oscars best pcture winning films and I can confirm the 70s are the best years IMO

Attached: 70s.png (302x340, 8K)

*ahem*

Attached: warren-beatty-gettyimages-123259142_1600jpg.jpg (1200x1199, 257K)

>That party sequence at Harry’s (workshop? Home?) place went on literally forever.
I felt exactly the same thing. But still, overall it's one of my favorite films ever heh

every film from the 70s had a based party sequence that went on too long
i like to think of it as a time capsule of actors improvising, especially after the really scripted stuff that film was just coming out of

>he hasn't watched rocky

i've seen all of them except kramer vs. kramer

How the fuck old are you not to have seen all of those?

>Patton
didn't really care bout that one until I started doing this
>The sting
not really a super famous movie, so again, didn't really care until now
>rocky
no idea why, really, my dad is a huge Rocky boo
>kramer vs kramer
same as rocky

>tfw we'll never get a decade so kino that even the Best Picture winners are worthy
I can't think of a single one from this decade I really loved.

Overrated, the twist is good but the movie sucks overall.

Watch the lives of others instead.

>the sting
>not really a super famous movie

What the actual fuck?

Not all films that are famous in america are famous in other countries m8. Shit, I doubt The Sting was even shown in theaters in my country
>inb4 where do u live
not important jej

Yeah. Although maybe I'm too much of a normie, but I actually liked Birman and The King's Speech. Both specially for their comfyness

Attached: oscars.png (1821x740, 77K)

man you need to fast track
>rebecca
>the bridge on the river kwai
>ben hur
>lawrence of arabia
>amadeus
>unforgiven
>braveheart

I *AM* THE FUCKING SHORE PATROL, MOTHERFUCKER!

Attached: 728C0C1C-7A4A-4311-9FDA-23841D726CA5.jpg (315x445, 43K)

Good film. I was watching it earlier.

This shit put me to sleep famalamadingdong

Attached: chicken.jpg (456x673, 44K)

Some of your ratings are too high.

Attached: go.jpg (780x1170, 135K)

rocky is horrible lol

I think it was the freedom of expression combined with the lack of a single dominant genre. The 60s had westerns, the 80s had action movies but the 70s lacked a distinct film identity. That allowed filmmakers to do whatever they wanted to and experiment.

My favorite is Badlands.

pretty much every DeMille film except for the Ten Commandments is massively underappreciated today

It's a good movie with several 10/10 scenes. The entire hotel room sequence is fucking great.

Here's a movie you probably haven't heard of. Not the greatest in the world, but still pretty kino.

I suggested it to someone in Yea Forums last month, and they were going to watch it. Don't know if they did.

Attached: things_change.jpg (500x755, 109K)

As said here:

youtube.com/watch?v=uJE3Zqb9zXY

Old Hollywood was over, so the 70s was the time of mainstream films that were a bit indy. Cimino destroyed it all, along with United Artists, with Heaven's Gate, which failed with a giant budget. While the 80s turned to blockbusters, Hollywood became all about profit, and now with political correctness, all the mainstream has is capeshit now, so people have to look at indy movies (which had a big revival in the 90s) for anything worthwhile. Sadly, all the kinos are undiscovered and rely on word of mouth/online.

Attached: C7E6335F-0841-4551-8C19-9E434244730E.jpg (960x1440, 344K)

>70s was the best decade for film

has there ever been a bigger fucking meme?
the decade saw Hollywood become such a cesspit of edgy, cynical garbage that it could only be revived by robot sharks and toy spaceships. This of course was the advent of the modern blockbuster, which led to the endless stream of braindead gutter trash that litters the American film industry today.

the “auteurs” of the 70s were hacks like Sidney Lumet who came from television and had no understanding of the cinematic language and made films that looked worse than poverty row movies from the 40s

Clintkino

Attached: images - 2019-08-17T113113.924.jpg (468x655, 40K)

I think everyone knows that 1939 was the greatest year in film

That was pretty much the only big movie that fulfilled Coppola's desire to write, produce and direct his own movie (Godfather and Apocalypse were based on others stories). He has been looking to do another one for decades.

consequenceofsound.net/2019/04/francis-ford-coppola-megalopolis-production/

indiewire.com/2019/04/francis-ford-coppola-megalopolis-passion-project-1202055953/

Hope he pulls it off, if only to make up for his career slumping after his 70s kino.

We all know the best about it Gina Gershon’s Bush

>dude lets do swingers again

This picture is giving me some homo erotic vibes.

Oh Oh, you better switch over to something safe, like Can't Stop The Music, a film about a bunch of totally normal guys who give up dating women because they want to focus on their music career and hanging out at the YMCA for exercise.

Attached: CantStopTheMusic.jpg (1016x1524, 325K)

Americans cared about actually competing at Cannes and Venice, and Hollywood didn't care about money.

Also, kino cinematography

Attached: stunt_man_poster.jpg (478x755, 69K)

Attached: 10 Rillington Place (2).jpg (521x755, 84K)

Attached: the_emerald_forest-john-boorman.jpg (761x1200, 122K)

>deer hunter
>the conversation
>godfather 1
>godfather 2
>raging bull
>taxi driver
>chinatown
>apocalypse now
>star wars
>french connection
>annie hall
>close encounters
>one flew over the cuckoos nest
>jaws
>all the president's men
>clockwork orange
>alien
>dog day afternoon
>five easy pieces
>the network
>kramer vs kramer
>sophie's choice
>superman
>willy wonka
>grease
>midnight express
>serpico
>solaris
>the mirror
The 70s was an amazing era, both critically and commercially.

Psshhh - Try the Palme d'Or winners aswell.

Attached: starred up.jpg (1024x1517, 197K)

both of those guys could potentially be dennis hopper

Attached: ironclad.jpg (1969x2906, 548K)

>perfect middle ground
Honestly, I don't think I've seen a New Hollywood movie that wasn't worth seeing, such a great scene

Blow Up and Blow Out are far better

>Paul giamatti hamming it the fuck up and screaming like DiCaprio for 2 hours
Brian Cox was good and it was a fun last stand but Black Death had a better atmosphere.

Anything with James Purefoy is pure kino.

Attached: James Purefoy.webm (900x506, 1.7M)

i was shocked how good black death was

Thats such bullshit. How can you NOT find something to write? Theres billions of stories to tell in this world.

Attached: 2002_adaptation_010.jpg (900x537, 122K)

how the fuck is the conversation underappreciated lmao
did you start watching movies last week or something?

nvm it's the entire thread posting well known movies lmao

This movie is good enough, but nowhere near as good as people claim it is. The twist is fucking retarded,

Coppola never made a great film without the word 'Godfather' in the title.

>what happened to you to me?

Attached: 18C841F4-7B1F-412B-B4A7-C06BDAA7012F.jpg (1031x1500, 205K)

Attached: james purefoy in sharpe.webm (640x360, 2.57M)

>Have a look at this instead.

Attached: 9rota.jpg (1045x1536, 612K)

Top kino.
Also delicious body from the main damsel.

Attached: 1559788332198.jpg (598x465, 187K)

Attached: 810741.jpg (993x1500, 298K)

holy shit you can list 30 acclaimed films released throughout the decade? Damn I guess I take back my statement.

a lot of those are shit by the way. Annie Hall, Star Wars, Dog Day Afternoon, Network, Grease (lmao. watch moar musicals), Midnight Express — mediocre films. some of the others I haven’t seen in years but I’m sure they’re similar. spielberg and pakula made good films during the 70s though, I’ll give you that.

Attached: The Man Who Would be King.jpg (1950x2883, 817K)

Literally fuck off and die 80's faggot

>80's faggot
the fact that your mind goes up a decade rather than down a few proves how much of a fucking pleb you are

Don’t panic room
And I won’t
William hurt you

Mmm, nice!

These are the same movie?

My friend from work got hit on by the Indian from the village people a few weeks ago

never see anyone talks about this

Attached: midnight run.jpg (293x445, 34K)

It's not underappreciated. It's a classic. That's what "classic" means

The Conversation is /r9kino/

Great film but not underrated.

>It's a classic
i dont think many people even know about it

Attached: conversation1974.jpg (500x281, 28K)

1) The limitations of special effects technology and audiences that weren't composed mostly of children and/ or manchildren meant that instead of an emphasis on merchandise-driven cartoonish PG action comedies the emphasis was on serious films intended for adult audiences.

2) The lack of digital technology didn't hurt the aesthetics at all, analog film and camera technology was advanced enough that everything looked great (and mostly still does)

3) because there was still a lot of money to be made but franchises hadn't become the staple of the industry, directors were given decent sized budgets for the kind of one-off projects with no sequel potential that you don't see as much any more.

4) The kind of shit we're getting sick of now (superheroes, animated movies, fx-heavy blockbusters) was so difficult to do at the time that only true autists who were incredibly gifted and passionate actually tried and succeeded on a massive scale. So even the genres that are arguably ruining cinema today were contributing to the quality because you got shit like the OPT Star Wars trilogy, Disney movies actually made by Walt Disney and the Reeve Superman moves.

Although I will say this about point #4 - Lucas was a literal genius who had sincere talent and passion but he did kinda ruin movies because SW's success not just at the box office but on a merchandising level set the precedent that's still being followed now. SW was literally the end of movies just as movies and now they're mostly cross-promotional marketing tools.

Attached: 07557724654.png (555x644, 553K)

Not zoomers I guess because zoomers don't know anything.

Yes

based Delon making every women wet

Attached: JOY HOUSE.jpg (1982x3000, 1M)

>The kind of shit we're getting sick of now (superheroes, animated movies, fx-heavy blockbusters) was so difficult to do at the time that only true autists who were incredibly gifted and passionate actually tried and succeeded on a massive scale.
uh, did you forget about the endless disaster movies made during the 70s?

Based movie.

Attached: lf.jpg (1938x2907, 1.46M)

Attached: paper moon.jpg (569x499, 47K)

Attached: 1981-taps-poster2.jpg (580x880, 54K)

Basically all of Howard Hawks' films, this being my favourite.

Attached: MV5BYTZjMzI3YjMtMTBlMC00NmMyLWJmY2QtZDYzMmVhYmRlY2Q1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182 (182x268, 22K)

This is probably the most charming, best scripted film I've seen. Stewart is great as his young, bumbling self, and Sullavan is very attractive. Such a perfect little film.

Of course, I forgot the pic

Attached: 220px-The_Shop_Around_the_Corner_-_1940-_Poster.png (220x333, 148K)

The Deer Hunter is a terrible movie

I just learned about this movie a couple nights ago, and the premise is pretty neat.
>Andrew, an agoraphobic travel agent, and Dave, a loser who works in an office, discover that the entire world beyond their house is gone, replaced with a featureless white void.

Attached: nothing-movie-poster-2003-1020257907.jpg (580x841, 35K)

Easy. Best date movie.

Attached: 81DHNffdPXL._SL1500_.jpg (1057x1500, 199K)

>Dog Day Afternoon
>Mediocre

What the fuck

I know Verhoven dislikes the move because he lost creative control and had to put in the romance, but for what its worth, the odd love triangle really makes the movie. It really adds to the peculiar atmosphere the movie has.

Kagemusha

Because there was a revolution of sorts going on in Hollywood.

How are DDA and Network mediocre films?

I think everyone does.

it showcases Lumet's biggest flaws: egregious television-tier camerawork with overabundance of close-ups and wide-angles, enclosed setting that makes the film feel like a stage play, impersonal direction, themes being shallow and unexplored in favour of a focus on story (television). It's just an acting showcase. Lumet said the montage of at the beginning of the film is meant to communicate naturalism but that doesn't really work if the whole fucking film takes place in a cordoned-off sector of a street essentially acting as a stage.
once again, shitty direction by Lumet. overrated for "revealing" the shambles and lies that fortified media culture despite the public already being cognizant of them.

Attached: lumetcrap.jpg (728x1652, 109K)

>themes being shallow and unexplored in favour of a focus on story
That's just complete bullshit and you know it, Network definitely explores its themes and does so well, so what gives other than you stroking your own ego here?

>Network definitely explores its themes and does so well
I was talking about DDA retard. Network's script is the only good part of that film.

I asked you about Network since you claimed it was a mediocre movie, so cut the attitude kiddo. It's not just the script that made the movie, stop being such a tryhard.

Attached: BD654ECA-D16E-4665-818C-CF896EC9215F.jpg (1382x2048, 383K)

>It's not just the script that made the movie
well it sure as hell isn't the visuals or acting or aforementioned exposé of the media being groundbreaking. it's ham-fisted agit-prop through and through.

Attached: manhunter.jpg (807x617, 46K)

Funniest film of all time along with Bringing up Baby, coming through.

Attached: MV5BYTdkODY4ODktMzVmZi00NzNjLWI1ZDctNjgzYTMwMzRmZDYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg (580x812, 73K)

>ctrl-f "Batman V Superman"
>0 results

This is a reddit thread.

Best film since Rocky

Attached: MV5BNmM1NDRjNGMtY2VjOS00YzYzLWJiYjAtNzlkZmM2MzRiZGRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182 (182x268, 16K)

The Conversation is great but it was a total fucking hack move to have the emphases changed in the last 20 minutes. The whole movie it's "He'd kill us if he had the chance" then all of a sudden it changes to "He'd kill US if he had the chance" fucking cheap shit

No, the performances are exactly what brings it to life.

Abhorrent taste.

You're trying too hard. Stick to Yea Forums, retard zoomer.

It's good, but I think people notice the runtime and pass.

Attached: MV5BMTg4NTMzODEwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzEwOTIyMQ@@._V1_.jpg (330x475, 19K)

great film rip rutger

Incendies....Godamn shame no one ever talks about this movie. Criminally overlooked

Attached: the-league-of-gentlemen-movie-poster-1960-1020209065.jpg (500x738, 90K)

>Sydney Lumet
>no understanding of the cinematic language
I've been on this shit show of a board for ten years and no one has posted something as retarded as this

Shotakino

Attached: MV5BNzU4NWUyYmMtZjlkOC00YjI2LWFjNWUtMThmNDhmOGJkNDJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDkzNTM2ODg@._V1_.jpg (779x580, 106K)

damn, this looks good. gonna watch these. thanks user

for me, my god tier underappreciated movies are

Pixote
Out of the Blue
A Woman Under the Influence
All Dogs Go to Heaven
Songs From the Second Floor
American Movie
Kings of the Road
The Meaning of Life

also, Trash Humpers