Honestly I'd just prefer a standard pokemon story filled with trainer battles and wild pokemon encounters...

Honestly I'd just prefer a standard pokemon story filled with trainer battles and wild pokemon encounters. The absolute worst parts of this movie were the humans and the silly "serious" plot they were trying for.

Not to mention all the "white men are all evil" shit, but that's just par for the course at this point, isn't it?

Attached: 1545771663942.jpg (1183x1500, 372K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=60bHu4vK6N0
youtube.com/watch?v=buifCKc9RNU
youtube.com/watch?v=Xsxh-6uqMIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lcmGBIgL8
youtube.com/watch?v=Uq1k8lgxVus
youtube.com/watch?v=7gp9QE3prHs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The plot was meh, I thought we were going to get a re-imaginaging of the first movie.

Mewto should have been crazy more powerful.

I kinda wish they'd either go all-in with Mewtwo and -like you said- make it a remake/reinterpretation of the first movie. The fact that the movie captures the fucker again and again really undermines the godlike powers this creature is suppose to possess.

The plot wasn't meh, it was downright shit. I'd rather watch a seven year old asian kid battle bugs in the forest than have the diversity parade explain in detail why my entire race should go extinct.

It's a shitty kids movie. Who cares?

the quality of the movie was really good. but the plot and the main actor was shit.

Agree, they did a really good job making the pokemon all look somewhat believable, and they hinted at some really great moments (like the Pikachu vs Charizard battle could have been a blast to watch) but instead they focused too much on the most cliched plot I think I've ever seen.

Not to mention that the Lucy-girl might be one of the least talented actors I have ever seen in my life. Take a lesson or two for fucks sake.

Honestly, they should have just told a more traditional pokemon story:
>young kid leaves home to go on adventure
>get into a few visually fun and interesting fights with cool pokemon
>play some nice pokemon music to pander to nostalgia
>end it on a cool rival-fight

>no gym battles
>no league
>main character doesn't develop a team
>weird fucking gas subplot that goes nowhere
>ugly cgi designs for Pokémon
>mewtwo using lips to talk instead of telepathy is fucking creepy in a bad way
It completely fails to be a Pokémon movie in every aspect

>Honestly I'd just prefer a standard pokemon story filled with trainer battles and wild pokemon encounters.
This absolutely, however I didn't see any of the wildly racist claims you're describing, did we watch a different movie?

They should've just adapted the anime, the manga, a doujin, or one of the main series games.

Attached: n-3py73wc4.jpg (1249x1800, 360K)

All they had to do was this. This is a heartwarming tale of caring for other living creatures and a great deity finding mercy by an unselfish sacrifice.

All. They had to do. Was this.

Attached: 1563899465809.jpg (303x445, 61K)

Well, why IS she dressed like that?

>dude what if there was a mewtwo ???? talking pikachu and then ????? and ????? switch minds with pokemon?? and then ???? giant turtlemons ???? detective?

the plot was fucking garbage
all the audience wanted was plucky trainer and his team of noble pocket mons vs. team rocket

and though they wouldn't dare say it they wanted that plucky trainer to be WHITE

I think what bothered me the most is the lack of Pokemon music. I know Gamefreak probably owns some of it or they had some licensing dispute or something but for the west: Pokemon essentially exists solely as a nostalgic memory.

Zoomers don't watch or care about Pokemon and I know millennial pokemon nerds who would have creamed their pants had they played this during a cool battle: youtube.com/watch?v=60bHu4vK6N0

Instead we get the same blaring horn shit literally every hollywood movie shits out on mass these days.

Can't have pokemon battle music without pokemon battles my dude

Someone in Warner Bros thought to themselves "why don't we make a pokemon movie, but instead of basing it on the games and TV show that launched a billion dollars franchise and enraptured the entire youth demographic of the western world (who are now 30 years old with money to spend on merch) let's base it on a 3DS game from 2 years ago that nobody fucking played, nobody even heard of and which wasn't even liked by the nobodies that did play it"
And they probably got a promotion because it's WB and retarded decisions is their brand

Never seen the movie

Never going to

But I played red and blue in 5th grade like any kid my age.

Are you telling me that they DIDNT have this song in the movie?

The closest thing in the entire movie to an actual pokemon battle is Pikachu vs Charizard and that shit might have been one of the most poorly thought out, poorly planned and ruinously shit scenes in the entire film.

This entire movie has ONE fucking traditional pokemon battle and they ruin it by roiding up Charizard, having him use ZERO flame attacks and Pikachu not throwing a single volt of lightning? How the fuck do you mess something up this badly? Have the writers ever seen the show? Read the manga? Played the fucking game maybe?

The Pokemon anime has been on since 1997, producing 22 seasons and spanning over 20 years. How the flying FUCK do you miss the point this badly? It was a global phenomenon for fucks sake.

>the humans
>he didn’t like the top waifu protagonist

>Honestly I'd just prefer a standard pokemon story filled with trainer battles and wild pokemon encounters
That would cost a lot of money to make. This movie was created just to gauge possible interest in live action Pokemon. Considering its success, they're probably more willing to invest in a movie with actual battles.

>no Pokemon trainer battle theme
>no Pokemon gym battle theme
>no Pokemon Team Rocket battle them
>no Pokemon rival battle theme
One of the most iconic and epic tracks in video game history is the final battle theme: youtube.com/watch?v=buifCKc9RNU

This theme going up against Mewtwo would have transcended hype.

Can you fucking imagining something like this roaring in the cinema as a young trainer stood before some grand challenge?
youtube.com/watch?v=Xsxh-6uqMIM

They shouldn't. They have clearly proven that they have 0 fucking idea what the Pokemon series is about if they think it's about interracial breeding and not capturing and battling Pokemon.

I don't understand how executives let shit like this slide. Like, hire a fucking consultant. Pick some pasty white kid of the streets and have him give you 5 things that summarize pokemon. He'd probably say:
>pokemon battles
>capturing pokemon
>forming a team
>fighting a rival
>getting badges

I don't understand who geenlit this, I really don't.

Hopefully this was just them testing the waters and the next one will be a full fledged pokemon movie
They should really just do a movie like the original movies, like the Entei, Deoxys, Lucario, etc

>its another Yea Forums complains about detective pikachu
Fuck off cretins

WE.DIDNT.NEED.ANOTHER.POKEMON.STORY.ABOUT.TRAINING.AND.BATTLES.AND.BEING.A.POKEMON.MASTER.CHAMPION.

FUCK

OFF

baitu

How is that bait you dumb faggot?

No you're right. What we needed was a black guy who can't act fighting two (2) white people that can't act by screaming really loud and running away from stuff.

If interracial romances and quips aren't your thing then you clearly just don't understand what Pokemon was all about!

I think its in End credits.

She needs to feed on his seed. No seriously, that's the premise.

Attached: n-fjwbua59.jpg (1249x1800, 464K)

Where do you get the "white people are evil" angle? From what I've seen it's semi-faithful adaptation of the detective game, a good way to test the waters for a more involved pokemon movie down the line.

I feel that companies misunderstand how to effectively use nostalgia. You have to remind people what they love about the thing they're nostalgic about before you inject new stuff to cater to a potential new audience.

Detective Pikachu feels like it should have come out as a spinoff to a main Pokemon series that was on it's third movie or something. Opening up with something as jarring as this is just downright stupid.

It's insulting to fans going in expecting a Pokemon story and it's insulting to new people who have no idea who all these creatures are or what they do or why Mewtwo is such an asshole but not really.

In case you didn’t realize, the first movie in a series has the biggest budget, and the sequels get less and less the more they make. Also, if this pile of shit made any money at all, you can bet your never-been-touched ballsack that if a sequel gets made, they will NEVER change the formula. Ever. They will hire shitter, blacker actors, feature fewer Pokémon, and have an even shittier plot with shittier payoff.

You only have to refer to the Sony emails to understand what’s wrong with the film industry.

>the original movies
>Entei, Deoxys, Lucario, etc
how is it NOT bait?

>big morally bankrupt company is lead by an evil white guy
>his son is an evil white guy who also happens to be a corporate asshole
Those are the two only white people in the movie and they're portrayed as nothing but devils.

Are they not original movies?

I think you are remembering wrong. The son wasn't evil, just a bit of an elitist douche.
Also, just because they happen to be white doesn't mean ALL white people are evil. The lead female protagonist is white and the protagonists father is white.

Alright, let's put the question on it's head shall we? Name one nice, kind-hearted white guy in the movie.

Fuck, better yet, name one white guy. You know, the prime consumers of Pokemon in the west.

>female protagonist is white
of course she would be

>city where Pokemon battles are outlawed
Fucking retarded, that would be like a city that bans sporting events

What kinda weirds me out is when they explain Mewtwo's origins. They even reference the Kanto region, meaning all this takes place in the same universe as the anime.

Having a Pokemon city where pokemon battles are outlawed would be like... well you said it best: banning all sports. And what an insane premise to base your movie on considering that it's 90% of what happens in the series/movies/games/manga.

Great visuals but just very boring overall

I think I agree with you. I was honestly just bored because the plot was stock and the action was mostly running away from anything interesting.

They're not even gen 1

>when you get BTFO by a fucking cartoon from 1998
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lcmGBIgL8

It would've probably made less cash or even bomb. Same shit as gojira 2 where only the hardcore nerds showed up.

Here's a perspective from someone who really doesn't know or care about Pokemon, the lore, the franchise or the world.

To me the movie just had the world's weirdest fucking tone and balance. On one side it wants to capitalize on Ryan's quips and make fart-jokes, while on the other it talks about multiple deaths loneliness and multiple layers of daddy issues.

It just feels alien when you try to have a kids movie (which I am guessing that they were going for?) where the plot is kickstarted by a ninja frogs downright killing a guy. The movie has these little weirdnesses all over, like when the protagonist (Tim, was it?) gets chased by monkeys (I know all these pokemon have names but I don't give a shit) and the Pikachu even says "they're killing him".

Like I mentioned above I never played any of the games, watched the series or read any books, but I am pretty sure no one fucking dies in Pokemon and it's this weird murder (with a capital "M") mystery that drives the plot.

Also there's this weird Jesus-looking alien thing that everyone calls "the worlds most powerful pokemon" who gets BTFO by a small yellow rat. I don't know if that guy is suppose to be some endtimes motherfucker but he didn't seem all that strong to me. Also why does he have magical powers? I know it's implied that some of these creatures have special elemental powers, but this guy conjures up rage-gass, controls minds, fires laser beams and can meld souls with people and pokemon. Is this an asspull or can he canonically do all this shit?

Overall, bored out of my fucking mind. Never watching a Pokemon movie again.

>youtube.com/watch?v=Uq1k8lgxVus
>you will never be a higher-level thinker

muh gen 1

Gen 1 is the original, that's what it means

Name on white guy? Ryan Reynolds. Ken Watanabe (Asian, but still cool guy). But isn't that train of thought flawed? E.g. wouldn't it mean that any movie that places black people as villans is racist? Consuming media content isn't locked by ethnicity. White people listen to rap, asians can play blues.

Itt: Disneymoms trying to bring down any film not made by the mouse

Attached: 1565550555469.jpg (720x480, 154K)

Not him, but yes. Yes it is racist. Which is why it's so borderline offensive to see straight white men be the big bad villain in literally every single movie that comes out. I think his point is that it can be very damaging to a young white boy's ego if all he sees in movies and shows is that his kin can only grow up to be evil bad guys. That kinda shit demoralizes kids. I don't think that whites can't be villains, or blacks can't be villains or yellows can't be villains. I just say spread it out a little so that one race doesn't feel demonized in literally every movie.

those other movies are still original movies nigger

Did critics like this just because it wasn’t a dumpster fire like most video game movies?

It got surprisingly good reviews and a ton of the audience like it for some infinitely poorly defined reason.

Shazam>Alita>Pikachu>Godzilla

Ryan Reynolds, you dishonest dipshit

I disagree. While it was clearly a movie for children, and I didn't care for it, the overall concept of "ordinary move set int he pokemon universe" has potential. Detective Pikachu gave us a buddy cop detective movie, and I think there are some other genres that could work well too. Imagine a heist movie set in the pokemon world. The thieves could use their pokemon to infiltrate and steal some thing, while also worry about defenses and the defending pokemon. Or imagine a large scale war movie. Saving Private Ryan, except set in the Pokemon universe. You could watch someone shock their enemies into paralysis, before graphically shooting them. I'm not prepared to write off the idea of normal stories set in the Pokemon universe yet.

>some infinitely poorly defined reason.
It kept parent’s kids quiet for two hours

he's a fucking pikachu for 99% of the movie!

All the bitching in this thread, I'm just glad that we finally got a video game movie that did meh at best. It made triple its budget, and got decent reception.

youtube.com/watch?v=7gp9QE3prHs

Rented this yesterday. Honestly wasn't as bad as I expected, but definitely could have been better. I actually liked the pokemon aesthetic and also Ryme City. The plot I could have cared less about it, and called every plot twist within the first 15 minutes .

Honestly would have preferred more random scenes of human/pokemon interaction in the city, and of course one or two actual battles. Closest we got was Gengar vs Blastoise.

>Not to mention all the "white men are all evil" shit
How does one function with schizophrenia this severe?

Pros:
>nice CGI

Cons:
>shit acting
>barely any pokemon battles
>nonsense cliched plot
>forced diversity
>no music from the games/anime
>terribly unfunny

>I know it's implied that some of these creatures have special elemental powers, but this guy conjures up rage-gass, controls minds, fires laser beams and can meld souls with people and pokemon. Is this an asspull or can he canonically do all this shit?
Mewtwo is canonically one of the most powerful pokemon and has very powerful telekinesis, and telepathy. In game everything obeys standard rules and numbers so nothing is too outrageous, but in the anime, yes Mewtwo is basically a demigod.

What, to you, would be unforced diversity?

Meanwhile an actually good vidya movie just came out and barley anyone is seeing it

Attached: 00D1EC95-71D7-4129-BD61-7B96C8589600.jpg (509x755, 103K)

PERSON IN FILM ISNT WHITE SO SJW BOOGEYMAN

Angry Birds was patrician kino of the highest possible caliber. Was 2 equally good?

no unsightly n-word to be seen

How about having a white male present on screen for more than 20 seconds in the universe that is almost exclusively filled with white people?

Wouldn't that just not be diverse?

and that would be a good thing

You do realize the remake of this literally just came out?

See

Which universe is that?

Black characters in a movie set in Africa, biopics of non-white persons, entirely new franchises or universes that for some reason feature predominantly non-white people (maybe they killed them all off to achieve utopia? haha)

the american version of mariotehplumber
and by american I mean shit

I think it was good.

Plot was a little predictable but hey I'd rather it all come together and make sense for the first outing of this type than have it be a clusterfuck of mad ideas that don't get resolved.

oh i read the question wrong
not a big fan of diversity me

>black kid is good actor but no charisma
>chick has some charisma but terrible actress
I have conflicting feelings

with a good casting it could have been a solid 8/10
as is it's maybe a 6/10, 6.5 on a good day.
Based Pikadad saved the day tbf.

Attached: philosoraptor.jpg (400x400, 18K)

The Pokemon universe. You know, the one this movie canonically takes place in?

This movie doesn't take place in the game/series universe,

These people have brain damage and manage to see the "white people are evil" angle in everything.

Which could have been true, had they not directly referenced Kanto and the events of the first Pokemon movie. The second that line was uttered was the second this movie got linked to the anime storyline.

Correct.

americans are mentally unable to make enjoyable slice of life stuff
everything has to be ridiculous high stakes, victorian morals, and nowadays race/gender politics

seconding this
why not make a comfy mystery with more "human-sized" stakes ffs

If the world isn't ending they can't compete with capeshit, and that crap prints money.

Even before capeshit, Americans loved garbage like Day After Tomorrow. They're just obsessed with high stakes destruction and drama.

maybe. But I greatly enjoyed the first half of the film, less so when everything started to be all over the top. I just wanted a comfy pokemystery.

it's because they think the world revolves around them, they like to see a MC who has to save the world so they can think
>durr dats literally me, I must save da world because I'm supah kewl murrican!!!

I have the same complaint about guardians of the galaxy as well, went to see it with a friend without knowing about the existence of capeshit, expected a comfy space exploration pirate flick, which I kind of got for half the runtime and then it turns into generic save the world shit

I totally understand what you mean, but Guardians was on a schedule. It HAD to tie in to Infinity War and there were certain aspects that needed to get done before then. It the Guardians just hadn't participated in the Endgame shit they could have had comfy space-pirate adventures but it had already been decided that they all needed to be in the IW/Endgame so we had to move this shit along - fast.

It's so depressing when a film starts really interesting, but the second half is just so fucking generic, it's like you've seen that part already and just have to sit through it.
Screenwriters really have a hard time keeping up the creativity past the mid point. They're too obsessed with structural conventions that have become too rigid as a lazy way out of a good idea.

No the worst part was the "realistic" design
It's like they don't understand the basic concept of stylization

this could have been so easily a movie made for families all ages, by making the safest, most family-oriented movie possible
>little (white) boy gets lost in the woods
>rescued by talking pikachu only he can hear (he is not voiced by fucking ryan reynolds and he's a cute caring quip-free animal)
>detective story about trying to find boy's parents, wild encounters ensue and he then saves wild pokemen from team cisrocket

there, is it that hard to make 1.5B+ off a multi-billion franchise all kids love?

On a similar note I much preferred Valerian, not a classic or anything but a fun little flick

This would print money, and be praised by fans all over the world as the first video game movie that actually worked.

Instead we have the world's least interesting murder mystery plot linked to multiple family deaths, cancer jokes and pretending to set a Mr. Mime on fire in a bath of gasoline. Way to read the audience Hollywood.

there was literally nothing wrong with Pikachu's quips, they were perfectly suited for a family movie, it's like edgy for a teen or pre-teen but not really raunchy, yet still enjoyable for adults and with the odd joke going over the kids' heads.

Zoomers literally don't watch pokemon. There is no reason to create a kids movie catering to a generation that is not in the slightest interested in the subject matter. Better pander to boomers with nostalgia all the while fucking it up by not including anything nostalgic like pokemon battles, gyms or pokemon leagues.

The Pokemon universe doesn't have our history nor our races. Any live action actor playing a character in the pokemon universe is effectively playing an alien.

Either that, or most people outside of Unova are Japanese.

>Pikachu talks in complete sentences in English in an adult male voice
What did they mean by this?

Yes it does. I'm gonna' be that guy now but in one of the beach episodes of the anime, Ash and Misty talk about getting their pale skin sunburnt while Brock doesn't have that problem. He is treated as an ultra-rare exception as everyone else on the beach is white as snow.

uhm but they didn't specifically mention he was african or whatever while they themselves are caucasian or asian so checkmate :)

>The Pokemon universe doesn't have our history nor our races.
>Yes it does, the tanned outdoorsman doesn't have to worry as much about sunburn!

Attached: _pdp_sq_.jpg (1000x1000, 144K)

definitely. most "new movie" blockbuster are just the same structure beat by beat with a different paintjob
it's especially infuriating in horror movies, when they waste 2 acts establishing some interesting atmosphere and then it ends in reveal // epic adrenaline chase // police cars and ambulances before credits

>It's a shitty kids movie. Who cares?
Where do you think you are?

It was Pokemon Company that told WB to do Detective Pikachu. They thought a live-action battling movie would cut into the annual anime movie's box office receipts.

But that's reasonable and we can't properly blame anyone for that!

>Pokemon universe
>almost exclusively filled with white people
heh

>Not to mention that the Lucy-girl might be one of the least talented actors I have ever seen in my life. Take a lesson or two for fucks sake.

I remember cringing during her first scene, but I got used to her acting as it went on. She's trying to act like the NPCs in the games; very exclamatory and cartoony. She's actually a pretty good actress in other stuff.

Mewtwo only uses its mouth to talk when it's being mind controlled. It uses telepathy to talk when it's normal.

Why was the lead actor so fucking bad? They really couldn't find another mulatto kid who could act better?

>They thought a live-action battling movie would cut into the annual anime movie's box office receipts.
Detective Pikachu and the latest movie released reasonably apart from each other
Aren’t they also the reason the main series continues to get worse and worse?

AAAAAAAAA
I WANT A MOMMY GF SO BADLY

This thread made me watch a couple clips, you know, it seems pretty bad, but seeing all the pokemon is kind of nice. Seems like a 5/10 just fine movie. Black kid is a shit actor though and the Marvel soundtrack is horrendous

Diversity made from a version of Hollywood in another country. Unironically. Anyone who thinks America isn't (Blanco) is only deluding themselves. It's gonna be a great day when the white man finally chimps out. In minecraft, of course.

So stop subverting the natural expectation that everyone has been getting on TV since TV was invented and expecting nobody to see it.

>White guy good
>Colored guy/immigrant bad
>WMWF Pairing
>Unironic racist stereotypes for everyone who isn't white

This was the deal. You want people to stop complaining? Go back to what it was before.

>Lives in a world where his country, no matter where in the world that is, was invariably financed and rebuilt under the Marshall Plan, or forcibly decolonized from France/Britain/Belgium thanks to American postwar policy

>The world doesn't revolve around Americans

It does, though. When everyone else pays us back every cent of the postwar rebuilding costs, pays off their billions of USD in postwar credit debts, pays off the principle debt behind their Lend Lease materiel, and builds their own damn Army, Navy and Air Force so that America can stop subsidizing their defense, then the world will stop revolving around Americans.

Not before.

>WAAAHHHHHH MINORITIES HAVE LEAD ROLES IN MOVIES!!1!!
Stop being a baby and grow up

>Exactly ONE (1) brown on the beach
>But they don't specifically mention he was a brown!

Here's your (You), you dumb cunt.

Brock is Okinawan retard. And every anime character ever is Asian until stated otherwise. No amount of cope will detract from that.

>Asian
>Brown Skin
So... he's a pajeet?

There are brown asians. Why are the most vocal people also the most stupid?

Every Pokémon region from gen 1-3 was Jap land fantasy. Also Ash is Asian you fuck

This film takes place in a city never mentioned by the games. Is that not enough?

Or you could grow a fucking spine, you are the fucking right-wing equivalent of an SJW

it wasn’t ash