Why doesn't america make any "serious" cartoons? Like all well known, modern western cartoons are mainly comedy focused...

Why doesn't america make any "serious" cartoons? Like all well known, modern western cartoons are mainly comedy focused. From Simpsons to Rick & Morty.

Attached: 1565980025301.jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

psypost.org/2014/07/artists-exposed-testosterone-womb-non-artists-study-finds-26249
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1938141
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Disney movies kind of started the mindset that animation is only for kids and it stuck.

This. Samurai Jack was the only one that remotely qualifies

drawing takes time effort and skill. Americans in the 90s don't have much of either. and japs are willing to overwork themselves and live together in studio. this paved the ground work and reputation of quality story telling. they win every time

simple case of people that have less having to work harder. value certain basic skills more and sharpen them.

Because America knows that drawings are childish so why tell a serious story in such a goofy medium?

animation lends itself better to comedy because it possible to show absurd things that would be hard to do with real actors. "serious" shows just dont call for that as much

>Fire Force
>serious

only reason is money
it costs tons of money to animate

Doing serious cartoon would require more than what the calarts art style could bring. Adventure time tried to tackle something serious once in a lifetime but the 20 minute episodic format didn't lend itself to that. The new Castlevania series is pretty good but it took them a year to produce 8 episodes.

They stopped trying when Fire and Ice flopped.

>Fire and Ice flopped
YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Attached: black snake moan.jpg (1200x884, 179K)

Because unlike Japan, the US has had a thriving film industry since the 1920's and serious films could always be made via live action. Most of the reason for Japanese anime's existence is because it's cheaper and faster to produce

You'll never be able to sympathize with a cartoon character more than you could a real live actor

why america does thing????
because america big dumb!!!!!!

Furthermore what can be done with animation is limited by what the audience will accept.

This isn’t true. Actors can botch performances, expressions, and lines and easily eject a viewer from the experience. Talented artists can build the exact expressions to maximize audience empathy. Also how the entire idea behind anime aesthetics is to build designs around how human memories interpret the appearance of people who are loved/hated.

Watch Grave of The Fireflies, you triple entende nigga!

>kid is a dumb asshole
>gets sister killed

... wow so sad

Bojack is more serious than most animus

Bojack is garbage by/for people who self-diagnose depression.

I think Bojack is pretty good.

That shit was hilarious

what? lol no.

given how effectively comedy shows like the Simpsons and R&M deal with serious themes when they want to, it would be more logical to ask why the Japanese are so shit at comedy.

The abilities of classical technique and construction in drawing basically disappeared in the West in the 1950s, no art school caught it by the end of the 1960s. So no one can create stuff like that save the handful of Disney and Bluth animators who either learned from the greats or are self-taught. In Japan it survived more (although it has also sort of degenerated)

>how effectively comedy shows like the Simpsons and R&M deal with serious themes when they want to
Simpsons maybe, Rick and Morty? Fuck no.

Its dumb. Also America is going through a dumbing down of our entertainment and we seemed to be letting Japan fill the gap for action cartoons while we produce shit.

Bojack is ok

I also want to add that drawing classical art which is the foundation of good animation is a high-T thing
psypost.org/2014/07/artists-exposed-testosterone-womb-non-artists-study-finds-26249
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1938141
Basedboys can't do it so obviously it has disappeared

>triple entende nigga!
What did he mean by this and why did it make me laugh

Actually I’d say it’s the opposite. The actor is limited by his acting ability. The animation can show any range he wants.

Avatar is the best animated show I have seen and as fucking retarded and bad Korea was they tried to be serious

Why isn't there any hentai of game of thrones?

Hello phoneposter

Bojack is Duckman for millenial redditors

Duckman was about the hypocrisy of the times. Bojack is about disingenuous ennui.

FUCK and it's a tablet I am bedridden at the moment

Lol no, what?

>tfw we'll never get a full multi-season 40k animation

Attached: 55e.jpg (600x602, 71K)

40k is garbage

Samurai jack is for 14yo and under. If you're 15+ and think samurai jack isn't strictly a kids show then you have sex with men for pleasure while being a man yourself.

its not lack or skill or too much work. the big companies just follow the "cult of personality" doctrine. they want people to recognize the actors and do as the actors do, and get instant and guarenteed views due to them.

When people try and name a "serious" Western cartoon, they either say Samurai Jack, or Legend of Aang/Korra.

Attached: 52b8dd8a-eff2-4ed2-9b8d-7c0039df1c53.jpg (400x600, 38K)

Only if you're dumb enough to take it seriously. It's intentionally over the top, wacky, and indulgent. Sometimes it's just fun to kick back and get goofy with huge guns, demons, and spaceships.

So you’re saying you want a wacky show about the wacky 40k universe.

Most of the fans of 40k take it dead serious.

Well, the issue is that most western animation follows the episodic format without much of an overarching plot, ie. what happens in one ep will be completely forgotten and never brought up again in another. In comparison to eastern animation where most shows are plot-centric and directly follow from one ep to the next. I think that's a big part why nothing too deep or serious is usually allowed to develop.

Says the overweight shut-in whose reason for still breathing is thanks to safety warnings and stop lights.

You haven't heard of sleeping beauty, cinderella, lion king, pocahontas, and mulan? there's also the last airbender and legend of kora.

Because serious cartoons create more manchildren as seen with weebs than kid cartoons do which mainly only sticks with a younger audience. Also have sex and anime is gay, possessing weak beta males pushed around by cold bugwomen whores.
Also N O T A N A N I M E B O A R D. Pic related

Attached: 1561718411233.jpg (574x81, 19K)

seething

What's it like hating fun? The universe is wacky, but there's no reason you can't get into character and enjoy the ride.

Attached: 1564081072663.png (601x601, 339K)

You know, now that I think about it in retrospect Ben 10 probably came the closest to the ideal OP is describing.

dont like it fuck off to reddit

Attached: (you).jpg (472x518, 107K)

I thought it was supposed to be a comedy, got incredibly bored one episode in. It's just a surface level exploration of modern day "depression" with a whacky "lol but he's a horse!" coat of paint.

If you are shitting on Western cartoons not having serious themes, watch them again. American cartoons have a dark undercurrent beneath all it's slapstick comedy. Ducktales is a good example of this.

Yeah of course its for kids. Still, it's serious in tone, thats what the thread ask.

Higurashi is kino.

japanese animation is worse than american, they don’t teach stories or life lessons to kids, they just sell sex and deliver a “plot devices will come to you like in real life, you don’t have to go out and work hard to get love, success, and friends” mentality

Stop spewing lies. Watch anime and then you can have your say on what you think of it. You just make yourself look like a fool by pretending to have knowledge about it.

literally every anime plot is loser loner gets powers and a harem, fights a villain of the week, and add first year philosophy quotes and blood and gore and it’s “serious”

that’s why most anime fans are losers

>castelvania good
I couldn't even finish it cause the writing was so bad.

Opposite for me
I rarely sympathize with real actors
I sympathize greatly with so many anime characters

Heh. Made me kek

That's like saying that all movies are capeshit. Are you retarded or just baiting?