What makes 60s scifi so magical?

What makes 60s scifi so magical?

Attached: 40611e5f8bd2711fa69843e77dc670a0--star-trek-tv-series-star-trek-original-series.jpg (736x1051, 78K)

Raygun Gothic aesthetic and sexy ladies

Attached: Star-Trek-TOS-Women-star-trek-women-7993855-640-471.jpg (640x471, 79K)

The mix of optimism about the future, that clashes perfectly with the horror of space travel. Contrasted with the 70s pessimism about the future, gelling with the horror of space travel.

>explain my opinion to me

It was written by a fundamentally less cucked and brainfucked generation.

For me, it's Andrea.

Attached: 25915-4a3c18b4b8b754bd2ce2c1e0e43df4e0.jpg (500x375, 38K)

For one, they were still shooting in color instead of that drab filter EVERY recent sci-fi show uses.

What about 50s sci fi?

Attached: forbiddenplanet.jpg (1920x1080, 278K)

It was optimistic and expressed white western morals

patrician

TOS was the last sci-fi to be based on the Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers fantasy aesthetic; everything after that was based on actual NASA/CCCP designs

Attached: prac1.jpg (816x900, 311K)

for me, it's the 30's

Attached: Amazing V07n08 723.jpg (1534x2257, 779K)

TOS' aesthetic, especially in The Cage, seems much more indebted to Forbidden Planet than Gordon/Rogers, though I guess you could say FP was an intermediary between the two.

>tfw no more hopeful, optimistic sci-fi filled with adventure

Attached: file.png (458x305, 165K)

Attached: 1561587551319.jpg (2599x1008, 485K)

It was less derivative of other sci fi

Attached: 1536127273077.jpg (3025x897, 593K)

that's fair. or 50's pulp in general.

Attached: forbidden-planet.jpg (1000x600, 95K)

Attached: Plan_9_from_outer_space_RR1001.jpg (300x300, 22K)

The sense of absolute wonder and imagination. In the 60's sci-fi was directly inspired by people's hopes for the future. Modern sci-fi is based on a more realistic ideals on civics, as well as educated guesses on what technology will be in the future using our advancing technology today.

To put it simply, the 60's era of sci-fi very little bearing on what technology might realistically look like because they were just getting use to technology advancing, while we are use to technology advancing on a yearly basis and have a better frame of reference as to how people use advancing technology

Basically this. But it's also connected with eliminating uncertainty. Shit like flying saucers and aliens seemed more plausible back then because we haven't really been to space yet. Once things like the Hubble telescope, Apollo missions and the SETI program came about, we truly realized how alone in our reachable vicinity we are. And the fuction reflects this.

i think forbidden planet is the best sci-fi movie ever made.

I recognize most of the ideas in Zardoz but the computer still has me somewhat perplexed

Attached: zardoz.jpg (413x504, 37K)

these colours are absolutely incredible. How exactly was this achieved?

The color dying of the film.
Its a whole thing and there are individuals on this board who can exactly explain what film stock was used, the development lab that did the processing and which process was used.
I unfortunately am not one of those individuals.

I don't understand what the big deal about fart trek was back then.
Sounds like CIA bullshit.
There were a ton of sci-fi shows before, during and after Star Trek, western and eastern.
It wasn't that infulential or important to viewers or work, there's been a propaganda machine milling for the past 30 years

take your meds

doesn't Mike Stoklasa accurately point out that TOS was a horror show? it's basically all about the crew trying not to get eaten by the monster of the week, or by the latest deranged civilization obsessed with whatever idea the writers wanted to satirize. it's not THAT optimistic.

I don't take meds ameritoid. Take yours, your whole propaganda machinery has been working for the last 30+ years perpetuating this went and gone tv show and portraying it as important

After the three seasons ended it went into syndication which was where the legend of trek was born.
e.g. Father and son watching an episode and both being enthralled by some outlandish idea.
Then each weekly episode becomes ritual and family bonds are strengthened .
Just fucking with you, its campy fun.

probably enthralled by some skimpy clad piece of ass

60's scifi is the culmination of 300 years worth of new world (and far east) adventure stories. Things like Robinson Crusoe that have direct analogs in Lost in Space. Go somewhere neat, oh wait it's dangerous below the superficial, think on your feet, survive.
Not that all scifi was made in that mold (not even 100% of TOS is like that), but this subgenre got much less popular after the 60s ended.

Holy shit THIS was the future.
Woman barely wore any clothing!
Except if they were old or ugly.

How the fuck does a Jew like Shatner look so WASP/Anglo?

Canadian weather maybe?

Attached: 1291132408013.jpg (350x262, 20K)