Cricket

What's the point of there being two batsmen on the field if only one of them is allowed to hit the ball at a time, and only that batsmen crossing the field counts as a run?

Attached: cricket.jpg (550x384, 42.94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AqtpNkMvj5Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that is a good question

Do you know the answer?

To not waste time switching ends after a single

Don't worry about it

>takes 5 days to play
>is worried about time wasting

wait, i thought it was like a team thing,
like whoever is at the wickets opposite the bowler whenever they choose to stop running is the dude that gets to whack the ball for a while,
and if that dude gets out, the next dude in rotation fills in, and so on, until they're outta batters

heck are they doin in this sport

It adds a level of depth to team strategies.
For example you could have 2 good batsmen out there, one right handed and one left handed. They rotate the strike often, and the opposition bowlers and captains have to keep adjusting field and the deliveries they have to keep bowling.
Or if you have a good batsman and a shit batsman (usually towards the end, a fulltime bowler). The good batsman will try to keep being on strike to protect the shit batsman, while the fielding team will try to get the bowler they want to go for the shit batman on strike as much as possible.
The other thing to consider is sometimes these batsmen have to be out there for hours at a time, rotation helps keep them fresher.

thats exactly how it works

Cricket was definitely a troll from England onto the east India trading company, they were probably tired and disgusted of the poos and some captain thought up a game with ridiculous rules and entities, but the retarded Indians couldn't deduce this and stayed playing and practicing the game and then England returned for more trading only to find out that now they have to play this retarded game with the poos or look like dickheads.
Should have just looked like dick heads.

Kek

The batter at the wickets bats until they either get out, or the set amount of pitches expires. I think it's like every 2 dozen pitches or so. Then, the bowler switches sides and pitches to the other batter. But both batters are running. And they don't get to stop, you either run both bases to come back where you started, or you're out. Or do you get to stop at the other wicket? I thought you were forced to make the lap.

so which is it?

Cricket contains certain ambiguities which act as filters, for want of a better turn.

I dunno, that's why I'm asking. Do runners have the option to stop at the other wicket, or are they forced to make the full lap or be out?

If both of them stop at the same wicket one of them can be run out at the other wicket

If the batsmen who wasn't hitting runs, can he also be thrown out, or just the one who was hitting?

Both of them can be run out

Only one at a time though, you know. There's no double play like in baseball

So they have to run in tandem, either running one base (no run scored, but they switch sides), or make the lap (1 run scored, but the same batsmen bats again).

No.

They both run, each runs to the other end of the pitch

Right but if they both make it back to the same wicket they started, it only counts as one point, not two. Or does it count as two?

We also did this prank with rounders in America.

Two runs. They moved twice.

So how do you score only one point? Have one batsman not move at all but the other one make a full lap? I thought they both had to move.

One run is scored when the batsmen switch ends. A 'full lap' by both would be two runs.

Of course idiot, how would they rotate the strike otherwise?

Oh. Well, Jesus, that seems easy to score. Do cricket games end with scores like 10,000 to 11,001 or something?

To make people seethe when the guy who isn't batting gets out

Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=AqtpNkMvj5Y

is this /cric/?

yes (no)

I guess it makes it more of a team effort. The other batsman has to be a decent runner/strategist too. The confusion between the batsmen about whether or not going for another run at least adds some excitement.

Lancashire lost their first wicket of their current innings due to exactly that, the batter on strike wanted to run and got halfway down the pitch before the other guy said no to the run and told him to go back, and of course he didn't get back before he was run out, if the non striker had just set off at the same time as the striker then they probably would have managed the run

probably my favorite way someone can get an out, when the batsmen are spinning around not knowing whether to keep running or go back while a ball is flying towards the wicket.

Many times they dont even try to score wvwn one run because they know there isnt enough time. But it is exciting when there is a chase and they need to risk it even to score 1s.

For me it's caught & bowled. Absolute kino

no because its really fucking hard to hit the ball
I dont think you realize
the wickets have huge cracks and dead patches and the ball can be bowled basically anywhere
cricket is a lot harder than golf

insane to me that can happen at the professional level, surely one guy has to make the decision and the other just follows.

usually it does. Even on the broadcast you can usually hear the batsman yell his instruction, but I guess in a split second people just go with their gut.

>Many times they dont even try to score wvwn one run because they know there isnt enough time.
Can you hit the ball and choose not to run at all, or are you obligated to move if you make contact?

KEK this

You can choose not to run

swear to god this is seb

Attached: fried.webm (720x480, 219.01K)

You don't have to run.

Oh that changes everything, I see why these games can last days now

So to score a run both batsmen need to pass the line or just the one that hit the ball

both have to reach the other end. The one that is still running could get an out if the wicket on that side is hit before he reaches his end. Even if his partner is already safely on the other side.

Don't usually watch cricket but it's always enjoyable when one of the good batters ends up paired with someone from the bottom of the order because they spend the whole time trying to keep the shitter away from facing a ball

There are set number of pitches.
Also checked

It ocurred to me too
He is probably laughing his ass out

Because cricket is gay

>He doesn't understand that batting is a partnership not a individual effort

The people who wrote the rules could have made it individual.
Maybe the icc will create a new form.with cricket with individual batting and try to introduce it in america
T1000

now imagine how much time is saved over those 5 days

Can the fielding team substitute in new bowlers as the game goes on like in baseball, or is one guy stuck throwing for like 4 straight hours?
Also, is the pitch cleaned up when the teams switch sides, or does the team that bats second just have to live with balls that are being bowled over ground that's been completely shredded by cleats through it for several hours?

>Can the fielding team substitute in new bowlers as the game goes on
yes teams will use many bowlers as the game goes on

There are no subs allowed in cricket. You play with eleven players you got in field with that being said a pitcher can throw only 6 legal balls(called over) after that you can switch him for any player on team to throw another over.
Maximum number of over pitchers can throw are capped in limited overs format (10 in odi 4 in t20) as for test you can throw as many you want but you need to continuously switch pitcher after an over.

>is the pitch cleaned up when the teams switch sides
might be given a go over with the heavy roller but that's it, pitch condition is part of the game, its why the toss is so important