28 Days Later

Why do people love this shit so much again?
>muh fast zombies

Attached: MV5BYTFkM2ViMmQtZmI5NS00MjQ2LWEyN2EtMTI1ZmNlZDU3MTZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg (2000x3000, 623K)

Because it's one of the best zombie movies ever made and it's actually (kinda) scary, unlike Romero's lame zombies

>Kinda scary

Half of it is, sure. As soon as they leave London it turns into a pile of dogshit.

>a bike courier takes on a fortified compound full of soldier

>a cab driver fights like a black belt

>major west plans on starving out the zombies and rebuilding the world but wants to rape women just for shits and giggles

But that's what I like over the Romero movies, it also shows the effect of a most extreme situation like that on humans. The major is crazy, he promised his men women for months and "can't refuse it now", and the bike courier is fighting with complete desperation. And with the help of infected storming the mansion. The rain, the madness, the gore, I love the ending. Never got why people on here dislike it.
Romero never had that kind of human dilemma, at best those comical bikers in Day of the Dead, but that's it.

I guess that's fair. A good 60% of this thing didn't sit right with me. Is 28 Weeks Later any better? As in, is it more 28 Days in London or 28 Days post-London?

Because this shit is like two different movies slapped together.

28 weeks is pretty different, it's about the repopulation failing and the us military dealing with the situation. like, on a larger scale. it's good, but i think the first one is a lot better. intro is 10/10 though.

>a bike courier takes on a fortified compound full of soldier
They're vulnerable because they're in the middle of a fucking apocalypse
>cab driver fights like a black belt
"no"
>major west plans on starving out the zombies and rebuilding the world but wants to rape women just for shits and giggles
If you really don't get this then you have now idea just how much of a dense twat you are.

>Because this shit is like two different movies slapped together
Retard can't comprehend a fucking plot shift, jesus christ. The film is about hope and develops pretty consistently.

>Because it's one of the best zombie movies ever made
NOPE

Attached: rotl.gif (500x276, 498K)

>Is 28 Weeks Later any better?
No, with the exception of the opening scene it's actually pretty bad compared to the first movie.

Probably the way they implemented a political dynamic to complement the story.

Do you know what a fucking zombie is you retard? This is a fucking infection/outbreak movie not a zombie movie.
They don't die and/or come back back from the dead. They catch hyper monkey AIDS and go nuts. Please don't spread falsities.

Cute black girl

It came out before everyone was burned out on media featuring zombies.

Its a grounded zombie film, like the original dawn of the dead and zombie land.

28 weeks later can fuck off.

>They're vulnerable because they're in the middle of a fucking apocalypse

How are trained, well-equipped soldiers any more vulnerable to the apocalypse than an average Joe who just a few days prior had to have his ass saved by a machete-wielding woman?

>"no"
?

>If you really don't get this then you have now idea just how much of a dense twat you are.

Explain it to me then?
The guy had control over his men, right?
>tee hee the whole radio broadcast was a trap to rape women and kill their men

>plot shift
I don't give a fuck about the "plot shift," it's the tonal shift that sucks. Why did a generally decently-made horror movie devolve into
>humans bad

It's a zombie movie you autistic bellend. Boyle calls it as such. It meets every criteria for a zombie film, except the trivial detail of the scientific explanation being changed to be more believable, which doesn't determine the genre. And zombie movies existed before Night of the Living Dead.

>And zombie movies existed before Night of the Living Dead
True, however they all involved people coming back from the dead. The only new thing NOTD did was the flesh eating aspect.

>How are trained, well-equipped soldiers any more vulnerable to the apocalypse than an average Joe who just a few days prior had to have his ass saved by a machete-wielding woman?
Because
1. they're brain dead soldiers fighting for pussy while the others are fighting for their lives
2. we know nothing of the background of the protagonists
3. sometimes extraordinary (but possible) things happen in films to make them more exciting

>Explain it to me then? The guy had control over his men, right?
That's exactly what he was fighting to keep, control, he was desparate for hope in a hopeless situation and made promises he couldn't keep. He no doubt expected to reach more people and build a community. And when that failed, the only thing he could do to maintain any hope was to fulfill the promises he'd made to his soldiers.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time explaining this, the films themes really are not that fucking hard to grasp.

>That's exactly what he was fighting to keep, control, he was desparate for hope in a hopeless situation and made promises he couldn't keep. He no doubt expected to reach more people and build a community. And when that failed, the only thing he could do to maintain any hope was to fulfill the promises he'd made to his soldiers.

Okay, I watched it a couple of weeks ago and might have forgotten some bits of dialogue or whatever that explains this, so bear with me.

West knows that the infected can be starved out, right? He says as much at one point early on when they meet Jim and co. Wanting to rebuild the world after that, repopulate, yada yada.

So if he knows this'll all blow over sooner or later, why does he not even try to give them safe haven for even a little bit? He just throws them to the dogs on day one.

He feels like a borderline comic book villain in a film that was more or less grounded in reality up until the point he and his men show up.

Also
>2. we know nothing of the background of the protagonists

We know Jim worked as a bicycle courier and couldn't take care of himself in the streets of London, so I'd say it's not a stretch to think he's not a fighter. And yet he takes on a bunch of soldier somehow? Are they so thirsty for pussy that they lose all situational awareness and allow a nobody like Jim to sneak into their fortress and start killing them one by one?

28 Days Later has more of an emotional core than other zombie affairs, which are usually more focused on blood-and-guts affairs. There's several themes going on in the movie - Jim being (re)born, Selena softening and regaining her femininity, the different family units that get cycled through, cities bringing death while the country provides peace, trusted institutions being much shoddier and untrustworthy upon inspection - it's about growing up, learning about the world, how modern life is destructive, and how a little bit of rage to dismantle a destructive and corrupting force isn't necessarily a bad thing in the end.

The soldiers are practically kids playing dress-up, much like the one made to cook - tries to look and play the part, but doesn't really know what he's doing. They're not prepared for the sudden dissolution of society. Their institution is barely kept together, and really they've sort of regressed into kids or teens, especially once women finally enter their lives.

They're easily dismantled because they weren't a solid group to begin with. No discipline, more of a social hierarchy than one based on rank or service, and Jim is able to co-opt the infected to destroy them, using rage righteously. They're especially vulnerable without the Major there, showing how fragile their group was. It's really a comment on how quickly things and people would go to shit, even sacred institutions. "There's always a government, in a bunker, or a plane!" What does it mean if there's no order and death can be around any corner?

>Do you know what a fucking zombie is you retard?
A voodoo slave brought back to do someone's bidding by black magic?

yes.

The ending is so shit it almost ruins the whole film