Is the giant monster genre dead?

Is the giant monster genre dead?

Attached: 438C6B7A-3AB6-44B4-BFE1-E529B2339ABE.jpg (1280x718, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

finance.yahoo.com/news/4-measures-indicate-walt-disney-141201321.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no?

At the box office? Yes
These movies will never get the appeal of mainstream audiences.
Maybe if Disney made one, it would suddenly be a hit

Dead.

Attached: biggest head trophy mount in history.jpg (1280x536, 104K)

no but I don't know how long it's got left
the latest one didn't flop, but didn't do well either, and set up future sequels.
I can see them cautiously continuing the series.
the next one (godzilla vs kong? I think) will decide the future of the franchise

>Godzilla (1998)
Budget $130–150 million
Box office $379 million

>Pacific Rim (2013)
Budget $200 million
Box office $411.5 million

>Godzilla (2014)
Budget $160 million
Box office $529.1 million

>Kong: Skull Island (2017)
Budget $185 million
Box office $566.7 million

>Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)
Budget $150 million
Box office $290.5 million

>Rampage (2018 film)
Budget $120–140 million
Box office $428 million

>Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
Budget $170–200 million
Box office $385.8 million

They keep trying and they keep failing.

Attached: chen face when.jpg (536x536, 120K)

Holy fuck do americans even enjoy anything anymore? Are the chinese the only people who go see these?

>Holy fuck do americans even enjoy anything anymore?
They've been conditioned to reject anything that isn't MCU and other disney products that aren't star wars.

The Chinese will watch just about anything you pinch off in front of them that isn't Star Wars.

MCU capeshit needs a major flop, too many ideas out there for something good being swept aside. Sad to see.

What about Ghost Busters?

I fear for its future beyond KvG, considering how much of a financial disappointment KotM was, though I would imagine Kong will be an easier sell to Americans than Ghidorah/Rodan/Mothra. I also fear they're delaying KvG in order to "Marvel it up" some more.

That wasn't even allowed to be shown, because muh ghosts.

Good movie

Don't worry, MCU is fucked because of SJW/LGBTQ+ agenda.

Kong Vs Godzilla has much stronger poster value than any other hollywood kaiju movie, so providing the movie doesn't suck, it could make decent numbers. Still, it's hard to believe the monsterverse has a future after it, the whole thing always seemed like they were giving it a shot just to test the waters, hoping that the crossover could turn into another Endgame. Toho seems to be already making plans for releasing their own sequels after GvK.

Attached: ONE WILL FALL.jpg (1913x1040, 310K)

Attached: why cinema sucks.png (1048x666, 53K)

Yeah, I'm willing to be happy with what we've got, if this ends up being it. Shin Godzilla proved that Japan is more than capable of the big budget spectacle if they really want it.

>Shin Godzilla proved that Japan is more than capable of the big budget spectacle
Japan is full of animation and cg talents, they just need some strong direction to put great things together.

That's what we thought when captain marvel came out.

No, and thankfully it's not mainstream enough for reddit tier e-celebs to talk about it for more than a week to show their nerd cred.
It's still an eclectic genre that your average normie thinks is entirely about the monster fight, and not profitable enough for kikes to take over and bastardize like they've done with Marvel, Star Wars/Trek, Predator, and pretty much all of animation.

Captain Marvel was also marketed as a “must watch” before Endgame, also helped that Disney bought our entire theaters to pay off the merger with Fox. Regardless, they got exposed and Disney stock fell.

Even as of now, Disney stock value is kn decline. They’re $50 billion in debt, and their franchises save for Marvel aren’t making as muck money as expected. Things aren’t looking good for The Mouse come 2020.

it was never alive. goddamn mystery how so many people liked it for so long, it's a very very bad story.

>They’re $50 billion in debt
How do those businesses even work?

No they were just #me2too'ed into the slammer

>Shin Godzilla
Budget $15 million
Box office $77.9 million

Abusing tax loopholes and global banking.
As for Disney, for a while they fell back onto their parks anytime they were in a rut to keep them going. However, ever since Galaxy's Edge, Disney parks have been dropping in attendance, and Disney's only response so far is to jack up the prices.
Mouse is in for a rough winter.

Anyone bothered how they casually threw the oxygen destroyer out of nowhere with no build up and fanfare, while disregarding its meaning in the original movie about how its destructive power was so horrible it wasn't worth killing godzilla if they were taking the risk to have it fall into the major powers hands?

They even say it's a weapon designed to "wipe out all life in a 2 miles radius" like it's nothing.

>start buying off studios as a way for Bob Iger to show off how much the company has grown before he bows out
>Despite successes from Endgame and Lion King, Disney is currently $50 billion in debt, with only $6 million in cash reserves
>Most Fox movies are flopping
>Star Wars is bust
>Disney parks attendance is in decline and their only response is to jack up ticket prices
>still need to pay off the Fox merger
>due payments are starting next year

At this point, it is very possible that the only way for Disney to avoid bankruptcy is to begin selling off its recently acquired studios. But given their status as a growing monopoly in the entertainment industry, this will be seen as blasphemy. However, should their recently acquired franchises no longer generate as much profit as expected, the Mouse will have no other choice.

finance.yahoo.com/news/4-measures-indicate-walt-disney-141201321.html

Attached: 6C5E0EFC-67AE-47B1-81FC-9DC2B46CA5A0.gif (300x126, 771K)

remember when a $350m box office was considered a smash hit?

It did seem a bit forced, and it definitely needed a scene building it up before hand. Like a scene in the senate hearing, where the Monarch scientists walkout to do something and then the Senators put a general or something on the big screen after they leave and say something like,
"Alright General, tell me about this new anti kaiju weapon, this...O2 Destroyer"
something like that.
But, if it's just an excuse to get DESOTROYA into the film, then I'll forgive the clumsy handling of it. To a degree of course. It probably would have been better for it to be some sort of new missile, like a MAZER Pulse bomb or something.
Oh well.

Movies didn't cost 150+ millions back then. It's crazy how they all seem to need such huge budgets even when they look like shit.

And, as I recall, the decline started with Star Wars. Based George sold Disney it's own noose.
I 'member.

Attached: godzilla__hey_girl__by_belokki-d8v9htr.png (1024x748, 878K)

>Like a scene in the senate hearing, where the Monarch scientists walkout to do something and then the Senators put a general or something on the big screen after they leave and say something like
I'm willing to bet it's going to show up in the deleted scenes.

It needs an injection of something big and new

Attached: F2EF1D94-21D3-4D13-8D69-BC46593EFC9E.jpg (525x350, 33K)

gib milkies

Not at all, one of the best monster films I've ever seen came out only 3 years ago, and now the master himself is working on a new ultraman film as well.

Attached: shingodzilla.gif (600x251, 2.82M)

This is a time where people jerk it to blacked and applaud trannies in real life

Hard to get scared at some big ape or lizard when you are that desensitized

How do we fix the Monsterverse and how do we introduce bestgirl into it?

Attached: biollante.jpg (4028x2122, 832K)

Attached: D6C318AF-3189-47AB-BA13-BB54BCFE2CA2.jpg (721x482, 45K)

Attached: 1544225114095.png (2048x1149, 3.52M)

Give it time...

Attached: marvelfuture.jpg (1680x1680, 962K)

>KOTM made even less than Rampage
How the fuck

By having Warner Bros. Step up their marketing game. Sucks that they’re completely incompetent in that. Oh, and maybe bring some more talented writers.

I guess because of the Rock

I don't get it... was the left one a vampire hunter? Why else would he shoot with that?

This

Maybe MCU can adapt a giant monster story at some point and make the first successful one

Lol captain marvel and black panther both broke a billion while the incel favorite Alita is the bomb of the century

GEE, I SURE FUCKING HOPE WE SPEND 4/5 OF THE MOVIE FOLLOWING BIG NAME ACTORS READING FROM TERRIBLE SCRIPTS INSTEAD OF SEEING A MAJORITY OF KAIJU ACTION IN A KAIJU MOVIE

AGAIN

Attached: 1551667979243.jpg (1300x957, 151K)

Lol Kong vs Godzilla is gonna flop and then the genre will be dead for a good while

Well "Hail Hydra" Cap already happened

The biggest problem the Monsterverse will face is that while fans of the genre understand that the monsters are characters with personalities, the general public (and critics) just see them as monsters and still want a human character to latch on to.

I hope not, it'd be a shame if your mother was out of work.

WB is good at marketing, 2014 had terrible audience reception and legs at the box office, why would they see a sequel to a film they hated. Also, kaiju films are very niche in general and the novelty of Godzilla already wore off to western audiences.

this

Attached: 1546720142122.jpg (636x119, 19K)

normies listening to shill critics probably did the most damage to KotM. why anyone trusts what they say in this day in age baffles me.

I don’t care if critics disliked the film but a lot of the reasons why were untrue and a lot of the stuff they said was unexplained or dumb was explained in the film pretty clearly which leads me to believe they intentionally decided not to pay attention to anything.

Yeah people are fuckin stupid and don't realize that nonhumans can have character and personality.

>Critics in 2014
"Too many humans, not enough monsters!"
>Critics in 2019
"Too many monsters, not enough humans!"

Critics need to get the gas

Critics get the bullet :)

Bullets or gas I can't decide
should we bring The Rope into this?

KOTM was the opposite of that

>"Too many humans, not enough monsters!"
I don't actually remember critics saying that, it's mostly the general audiences

Americans are perfect sheeple, they need the media to tell them what to like. If you leave an American on an uninhabited island, he would die in one day because there's no media outlet telling him to eat and drink.