Why is Cube so comfy? What are some other comfy movies like it?

Why is Cube so comfy? What are some other comfy movies like it?

Attached: cube.jpg (182x268, 14K)

Pyramid

Attached: .jpg (630x1200, 86K)

The third Cube film where the protagonist is one of the people operating the traps in the cube behind the scenes is my favorite Cube trilogy installment.

People hate it for some reason but I thought it was still comfy. Better than the second one

The first Cube film is pretty unique in it's combo of deadly labyrinth + human conflict + quasi-lovecraftian themes regarding the plight of the victims and the purpose of the cube.
At minimum, any other film would have had some sort of monster chasing the group through the labyrinth, rather than humans being the real monsters.

Some people think it was like some government project and the sequels apparently did something like that, and the people inside were prisoners. I think it's made for one of those private clubs were the members have some weird sexual death or gore fetish, so they kill the people inside the cube to get their rocks off.

Attached: movie_exam-2009.jpg (886x665, 56K)

Garbage ending ruined it.

I think the meta narrative of it really tied together the series. In the first and second films nothing substantial about the cube's reason for existence or true nature is explained, leaving the audience scratching their heads. In Cube:Zero, however, it's the protagonist, one of the people actually operating the cube, asking "wait why the fuck are we even doing this shit" and being ultimately denied a satisfying answer. The fact that even the people "behind the curtain" are "just doing what they're told" and don't really have a reason to torture people to death really highlights the absurdity of the cube's existence.

blonde girl that won was hot af

It's not clear whether it's the government or not, Hypercube implicates a private company called Izon which sounds like it gets government work, and the third one the group running it isn't identified, though they have a (para)military force of their own. I always wondered if they were aliens, Jax and his assistants have cybernetic implants and use that weird symbolic based written language rather than English.

Based

I haven't seen 3, but the best part of Cube is the revelation by the engineer guy that the Cube might be some deep state black project that has no actual purpose anymore, if it ever did, but government bureaucracy and compartmentalization mean that it will keep running indefinitely and consuming hapless victims.
It's a pretty effective bit of cosmic horror, if you stop and think about it.

There's nothing about Zero that contradicts that, it's definitely worth watching unspoiled if you can manage it

So basically like the SAW movies.

Cube was first

Not really, in Saw it's one or more psychopathic humans doing it and their reasons are explained (though they're generally stupid ones)

Me and some buddies went on a quest for Cubekino last month.

Ironically, the most cubelike find was "Circle". It's got mystery, murder, and shapes.

people kept recommending "Tau", but that shit was weak and only like cube for the first 15 minutes. After the 15 minute tease it takes a 90 degree turn and becomes more like a shitty version of Ex Machina.

Attached: circle-teaser-poster-1.jpg (783x1176, 105K)

I don't know what's a worse sequel. Starship Troopers 2 or Cube 2.

>Some people think it was like some government project and the sequels apparently did something like that, and the people inside were prisoners.
That's the explanation given in the 3rd film, that it was a place where dissidents were thrown in, but that makes zero sense given that
>the public at large isn't aware of the cube, so its existence doesn't serve as a deterrent
>no one ever makes it out alive, so why all the elaborate traps? If it's just to make people suffer there's easy and cheap ways to do that
Even the idea that it's a way to produce gore films wouldn't make sense since the people monitoring the project are just regular joe schmos who are desensitized enough to not even give a fuck about the people dying, not sexual deviants fapping to the spectacle.
That is heavily implied in Cube:Zero, that it started as a government project that kept going until not even the operators knew, or cared, what it's really for. I'd say it's very Kafkaesque, the idea that people just wake up in the cube one day without even knowing whether they've done anything wrong or who's behind it while the people enacting the torture are pretty much just going through the motions without even questioning how insane the whole system is.

It's pretty clearly inspired by Kafka not Lovecraft.

Nah, Jigsaw and his apprentice have a identifiable purpose and plan behind the things they do.
The horror of the cube is that the project (probably) has no purpose and is just a mindless machine that abducts, tortures and kills innocent people pointlessly and nobody can stop it, because nobody knows or cares.

The Italian Job (2003) is the most comfy movie you've ever seen. Give it a try, tell me it's not comfymaxx

>That's the explanation given in the 3rd film, that it was a place where dissidents were thrown in
That "explanation" is only what the base level operators were able to determine, but it's clear that they're being tested too, the people inside have no idea why they're there and the operators only "know" what's written in the documents they've given which are highly suspect.

Are the sequels worth watching? I've always been hesitant to watch them in case they retroactively ruin the comfiness of the original.

>The Italian Job

Alright

>2003

Get out.

Attached: Michael Caine in Get Carter.jpg (1920x1080, 421K)

It's really memorable for some reason. You'll see it mentioned every once in a while. Too bad they fucked up the premise totally. Should've just stuck with 1.

The prequel was like some bad film student job.

They're both great, 100% pleb filters

was the black guy based or cringe?

actually way better than I expected which is funny because they basically just grabbed 20 people from their local theatre group and stick them in a room and that's the whole movie, lol

trips speak the truth, Cube was ruined because of shitty sequels. Damn shame too.

I enjoyed the sequel somewhat, at least the time shenanigans.
The prequel was much lower quality, but still ok.

im in love with the girl from it. she's fucking adorable.

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 941K)

Ezri a cute

C U T E

Attached: Ezri.jpg (417x406, 92K)

she didn't deserve to die, and I swear whoever built that thing clearly had some sick sexual fetish

Attached: FR.jpg (1280x1920, 229K)

Back to plebbit

'circle' is kino. Only problem is its gay appendice. Also its name is similar to that shitty 'the circle'.

This

Nah this movie was TRASH

Attached: Exam.jpg (185x273, 7K)

The experiments actually have a purpose, that one being the Quantum Teleportation.

they could make a combination of hellraiser and this cube series. What would result?

true, the symbols were pretty weird.

hellraiser is inspired by lovecraft lmao, stephen king's The mist too.

is this shit actually good>? Because it is not an english movie.

agreed, Cube 3 is kino.

which one? cause you have got 2 niggers in 2 different films.

Both being typical felons who commit murder,rape,driving around with loud music. ONe in the first film, and the other one in the latest film.

it seems good only because it explores the background story.

I would want an entire series based around the Cube experiment. This series would turn out better than that piece of shit called walking dead.

>Cube was ruined because of shitty sequels
nope

the sequels actually go deeper in the story.
And also shows what's outside the cube, especially the third movie.

this

get out 2017

there's a difference

in SAW movies you have a group of fucked up people torturing each other.

In Cube you have the government doing that, which is more interesting, maybe the government itself has some connection with the aliens, hence the strange symbols in the 3rd film.

I actually liked the ending. Wasn't that bad.
That movie also shows what happens during the admission exams. Same shit, but mentally.
different candidates running for a place in some univershitty.

>have some weird sexual death or gore fetish
don't confuse it with that piece of shit called hostel .

But I do think the subjects dying are made for the reptilians in the story.

Cube zero is the prequel, which means phase one.

In cube 2 it is said about phase two, which ""just ended"", this means a fourth film is yet to be made , featuring phase 3, the real third cube movie, or sequel.

cube zero isn't cube 3, so they should make a fourth movie which would explain this trilogy better.

>unborn fetus counted as a person
based and christpilled aliens

I think hellraiser could also be compared to the cube series.

hellraiser features the lament configuration which is essentially a cube.

>The horror of the cube is that the project (probably) has no purpose

yes it does, and it is revealed in the second film. But the regular cubes purpose is to torture criminals that were sent to death. Basically an arena, instead of choosing the electric chair(death sentence).

the characters were also good

you have a nigger, an autist, and a pajeet

The second film is not canon and has nothing to do with the rest of the series.

starman looks better.

is that the one that plays entirely in one room and that it turns out that the dude is jesus?
such a fucking retarded movie

how would you know it isn't canon?

it actually is.
zero is a prequel, so the sole sequel is the second movie. Which is a more advanced experiment.

Room Films:

Circle (2015)
Cube (1997)
Cube ^2 Hypercube (2002)
Exam (2009)
Devil (2010)
Fermat's Room (2007)
ATM (2012)
Nine Dead (2010)
Would You Rather (2012)
The Divide (2011)
The Belko Experiment (2016)
Saw (2004)
Cube Zero (2004)
Buried (2010)
Europa Report (2013)
Rope (1948)
Murder by Death (1976)
The Exterminating Angel (1962)
The Man From Earth (2007)
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Maybe? (Haven’t Watched Yet):

Frozen (2010)
247°F (2011)
Phone Booth (2002)
The Game (1997)
Elevator (2011)
Deathtrap (1982)
The Interview (1998)
The Hole (2001)
Unknown (2006)
The Killing Room (2009)
House of 9 (2005)
Panic Button (2011)
Blackout (2008)
Alpha Alert (2013)
The Employer (2013)
Hunger (2009)
Shadowplay (2007)
Breathing Room (2008)
Nothing (2003) (Directed by the same guy who directed “Cube”)
Free Fall (2014)
The Game (2008)
Brake (2012)
Identity (2003)
Infinity Chamber (2016)

People overrate it too much because it is non-English. But honestly, it's just a little better than Escape Room.

While I liked the rest of the movie, the bit that dropkicks my koumpounophobia into high gear makes me unable to watch it again.

>Buried (2010
that isn't a room film.

It some faggot buried by arabs deep in the desert bumfuck nowhere.
the ending was lame though.

>Europa Report (2013)

it sucked dicks too

>10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
it would look better if they would have done a sequel to it, instead of that piece of shit teen movie called OVERLORD.

>ATM (2012)
nice movie

>The Divide (2011)
nice movie too, just like the cube, but it should have explored the reason why they bombed the entire city. It actually was the government doing that through the film, just like in the cube series.

>that gmod Cube map

Attached: 1559360851148.jpg (175x231, 16K)

>because it is non-English
They should also overrate baskin 2015 then, that movie is non-english too.

but turkish.

>Infinity Chamber (2016)
My favorite independent movie. Only a single guy in a cell, though. Evil government.

Highly recommended.

Attached: 1393239664702.jpg (600x600, 27K)

identity 2003 is not what I would catalog/classify like a room-film.

Neither phone booth, phone booth just has a static action. Where the protagonist sits in one place just like buried.

Because neither the original writers, director or producers worked on the sequels in any capacity, while the two shitty sequels were written, produced and eventually directed by Ernie Barbarash.
The cube sequels are just Lions gate churning out shit direct-to-dvd knock offs of the canon film because they bought the IP off the actual creator, ergo they're not canon.

anything where 'the goverment' is doing something like for an experiment or whatever just seems so quaint now. there's no war or cold war on so, no manhattan or mkultra projects.
the govement's "tech" research and science etc. is 20 years behind the private sector

>two shitty sequels
>shitty

it didn't seem like that for me.
The story fits through the three films combined, so I consider them all canon, doesn't matter who directed/produced.

You could also say the newest piece of shit star wars movies aren't canon at all. Including the star wars 9 or 10 that is yet to be released.

>there's no war or cold war on so, no manhattan or mkultra projects.
>the govement's "tech" research and science etc. is 20 years behind the private sector
maybe that's what they want you to believe. haha

>it didn't seem like that for me.
That's nice. Everyone else thought they were terrible, however.

>doesn't matter who directed/produced.
That certainly sounds like the sort of opinion that someone who thought Cube 2 was good would hold.

>You could also say the newest piece of shit star wars movies aren't canon at all.
They're not, which is why they're refereed to as Disney starwars, nu-wars etc. Buying an IP doesn't make the owner the arbiter of what is canon in a creative work.

>Everyone else thought they were terrible
why do you think they were terrible?
I rate them like 8/10 9/10

classic SF movies. From the era when stargate episodes were being filmed.

Because they're poorly written, directed and acted and fail to capture the tone and themes of the original work, even when trying to be direct derivatives. They're bad when considered as stand alone films and utterly terrible as continuations of the original narrative.
In terms of quality and soul, they rank below even those shitty direct to video animated sequels that disney used to make - redundant, inferior cashgrabs by mercenaries with no ideas or talent.

check out phone booth
i thought exam wasnt that great

which phone booth?
çause you got two.

The first one being liberty stands still, with the ""blade"" actor.

both being interesting of course.

>Why is Cube so comfy?
Because single location movies are prime /comfykino/

>they rank below even those shitty direct to video animated sequels that disney used to make
>poorly written, directed and acted
speak for yourself
I don't see them in this way

Nobody cares.

no, it's because they're isolated.

this

SAW movies are gay rip offs of other works highly over rated garbage.

didn't watch it, but it seems pretty gay and overrated just like FO4 was when it was to be released.

>Room film

Don't english speakers have a real fucking name for the genre?

The French win again.

not op but where are the recs. all yous talking about cube wheres the other films

what do you honhon frogs call it, huis clos?

>Phone Booth (2002)
Great movie, but it has nothing to do with Cube by all means.

yep.

Except it's
>Huis-Clos

I want a new Cube film so bad bros. I'll take even a shitty sequel at this point.

Came here to post this. Probably the closest to Cube and it's still not very similar, not to mention nearly as good.

You don't know what cosmic horror means

In Vanda's Room

I like Cube. Why was Cube 1’s gory effects way better than 2’s? Cgi was a mistake

visuals are secondary to a good kill scene, that's why