Why are they all boring, Yea Forums?

Why are they all boring, Yea Forums?

Attached: lololovesfilms-Universal-Monster-Movie-Collage.png (1600x1200, 3.52M)

>Dracula
crappy apart from few scenes, way overrated
>Frankenstein
pretty cool
>Mummy
amazing movie, amazing cinematography and eerie atmosphere
>Invisible Man
cool techno-horror with comedy bits
>Bride
I don't understand. Why is it praised so much? It's stupid movie about random shit untill last 3 minutes.
>Wolfman
>Creature
Haven't seen
>Phantom
For some reason feels more dated than 1925 version.

I liked
Mummy, Invisible Man, Frankenstein

I didn't like
Bride, Dracula, Phantom

Are these two (Wolf, Creature) worth watching based on my 'taste' (or lack of it)?

>amazing cinematography and eerie atmosphere

Attached: mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u2.jpg (453x533, 48K)

>I don't understand. Why is it praised so much? It's stupid movie about random shit untill last 3 minutes.
Filtered.

Why do you hate kino?

Mummy was an excellent example of German expressionism. Karloff's makeup was work of art.

check ot the mexican drac
bride and phantom r cool when ur young
dnt be such a hater

Attached: ZcbLp1543983381.jpg (560x442, 35K)

I like Creature and Invisible man

>dumb ADD zoomer doesn't understand why universal monster movies are great
color me shocked

You're literally below the age of 20 lol

Attaching a basedfag pic doesn't automatically make it untrue.

As a kid I loved all of these films and their sequels unendingly. I rewatched most of them recently and is mostly right. Dracula doesn't hold up except for some of the creepy castle stuff, Frankenstein and Bride should have been one movie and combined all the good stuff in them because separately they don't work either, The Mummy is essentially a remake of Dracula but actually really good, Invisible Man is more a crime movie but is pretty good, Phantom sucks.

As for Wolfman and Creature, Wolfman has some truly awesome foogy moors scenes and really creepy vibes throughout but Chaney Jr is no Chaney Sr and it just doesn't quite work all the way through fro me. Creature is a boring by the numbers film and in my opinion the 3rd part of that series, The Creature Walks Among Us, is the best and most interesting one by far

>Frankenstein and Bride should have been one movie and combined all the good stuff in them because separately they don't work either

Stopped reading right there.

sentimental retard

>didn’t like bride
I disagree. I won’t call you a fag or stupid or anything, I’m bigger than that
I just disagree

No problem, I'm just curious. Frankenstein could work as horror pretty well but Bride is just ranomdness in my opinion. The monster walking all around and doing whatever till he met the blind guy, tiny people in jars.. even opening narrative with actres who later became the Bride. This movie made no sense for me. Could you explain it a bit?

It was supposed to be a meta-comedy, a 'first draft' of the book before it was published (which is why we have the prologue with the Shelleys and Byron) and filled with all sorts of weird, fanciful details like Pretorious's alchemy experiments contrasted with the sadness and violence of the Monster (he killed a whole bunch more people in the original cut).

It got censored down from almost two hours because of a bunch of faux-religious imagery and because (no joke) the Japanese market refused to see it because the scenes with the little people made fun of a king. I'm amazed the Monster getting crucified was left in.

It's definitely a really eccentric, weird movie, closer to stuff like Phantom of the Paradise or Beetlejuice than anything else of the era. It still pisses people off today; Tumblr really hates it because Pretorious is clearly gay.

Attached: PassionOfTheKarloff.png (576x416, 187K)

So.. is it basically universal monsters equivalent of average Yea Forums shitpost?

See Werewolf of London before Wolf Man, it didn't become as iconic as The Wolf Man for a reason, but it has so many eccentric touches it might hold up better for you. The Wolf Man is basically the template for every werewolf movie made after, so it may feel generic.

The Fredric March Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde trumps both.

Fuck you brainlet, low iq is not high test

>Fuck basic filmmaking skills, I just wanna watch fake Party City blood get splattered everywhere for an hour

Attached: feelsoy.jpg (387x437, 40K)

It quite literally was on James Whale's part. He hated being thought of as a horror movie director after he'd briefly been considered ''The Ace of Universal'' and after they stopped letting him direct war and romance movies (which he didn't want to get typecast directing anyway originally). He decided to make it a comedy to piss everyone off, and Karloff almost walked off because he thought the scenes of the Monster and the Hermit were stupid and hated the idea of him talking.

Whale also apparently got it on with one of the producer's nephews, who had been badly trying to convince his uncle he was straight. The book James Whale: A New World of Gods and Monster by James Curtis talks a lot about the crazy shit that happened. Universal was a nepotism hellhole.

Kill yourself, marveltard

Wolf Man is legitimately one of the best. Its not as experimental, film wise, as some of the others can be. But they do a lot of things very well. Solid character development, cinematography. A list cast.

Creature is an alright movie with a lot of great underwater shots.