Any news from Dark Universal? I've heard that they are still doing it, even with the failure of The Mummy movie

Any news from Dark Universal? I've heard that they are still doing it, even with the failure of The Mummy movie.

Attached: monsters-715000.jpg (590x350, 56K)

Saw writer is making The Invisible Man.

its shut down bro

They'll try for a third time in 7 or 8 years. (First attempt btw was Van Helsing)
Hopefully they'll fucking lead with Dracula instead of anything else. Mads should be the perfect age to be Van Helsing by then.

Nah, mummy producer admits that they rushed it and wanted to do too much. Now they are going to take time and slowly build it up.

Cool, thanks.
Why didn't they continue it? Van Helsing was like Marvel but with monsters instead. Universal is fucking retarded.

I think Sommers was butthurt about the critics reviews. He went on to make some real trash so I'd call it an even tradeoff.
The only way to really reboot this universal monsterverse thing is to lead with Dracula, a good proper Stoker adaptation without the melodrama Coppola's kino had. Dracula is the Iron man of movie monsters, not some sexy mummy.

>Dracula, a good proper Stoker adaptation without the melodrama Coppola's
Yes. Dracula should be on fucking killing spree. It should be something like detective movie with vampire in the background. No forced love story. Also it could work in modern era too. An immigrant from shithole country making people in London sweat. Pretty fucking accurate, the authentic experience was what made Stoker's novel so relatable in 1897.

With any luck in 8 years goth/emo will be popular again and they can ride on that for a popular Dracula movie, maybe.

He doesn't need to be goth.
A big terrifying part about Dracula is that his intellect was expanding to where he was getting close to how he was in life as Vlad Tepes. Most vampires like Lucy are little more than dumb animals who remember how to make human sounds. The cross-European chase back to Transylvania between the Harker party and Dracula is the climax of the book and no movie has quite gotten it right.

>The cross-European chase back to Transylvania between the Harker party and Dracula is the climax of the book and no movie has quite gotten it right.
Not even 1992 movie?

Bring me Ahmanet and I'll watch every crappy monster flick they produce.

Attached: mummy.jpg (1280x720, 127K)

Wasn’t dracula untold the actual third attempt though?

That’s fanon my friend, nowhere in the book does it imply Dracula only gradually became intelligent or that he started as a feral beast vampire. Dracula is already cunning through centuries of existence and his origin is implied to be him having gone to the Scholomance, basically an evil Hogwarts for black magic and having been taken in by the Devil for his own.

Wasn't that Dracula origins movie supposed to be part of the Dark Universe too? Because that bombed hard as fuck as well.

Such a misguided idea.

It could work if they developed stand-alone remakes that worked as actual horror movies (with maybe one or two nods to them being in the same continuity, like a headline saying bodies were going missing in Ingoldstadt's morgue) THEN set up crossovers, but all we got were awkward set-ups which killed any actually effective horror stuff. Ahmanet could have actually been an effective villain in a movie focused on her, and Dracula Untold had the potential to be a great corruption story, but nooo...

You have to wonder if the ultimate endgame would have been Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan meet Frankenstein or some shit.

Patrician taste

This. They had everything. Tom fucking Cruise, perfectly cast princess Amunet, amazing sets, great stunts, interesting take on the story (bringing the mummy to London this time) and whatsoever. But of course studio had to show their ambition and fuck it up. It could be fucking perfect adventure action horror, with great production values unlike CGI filled shit they produce now.

The Mummy had very little CGI if so. Even enemies were not rendered.

Attached: 1498149376391.webm (1280x532, 1.49M)

That's what I meant. The movie had great production, it's just studio's great ambition that ruined it.

I want a gender swapped wolfman to fulfill my fetishes

Reread the book. Van Helsing says pretty much exactly what I paraphrased. Vampires (by Stoker's lore) take hundreds of years to regain human-level intelligence, and Dracula made enormous leaps towards regaining his old wits after debuting in society and mingling with humans again. They managed to gain on him by exploiting what they knew about Vlad's historical strategies and even then he kept outwitting the pursuers as they exploited Mina's psychic connection.

So you want the one with Keanu and Scary Oldman. So... just go watch that again.

Attached: 10633281_10152284203901856_7701047342120275522_o.jpg (703x553, 102K)

Yeah but they want Capeshit money, not horror money so it will fail.

If they want Capeshit with monsters they SHOULD buy the rights to Creature Commandos or something, but trying to turn Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster into superheroes is just a bad idea.

Ehh I don't know, I really liked the idea. There are dozens of cheap horrors from smaller studios but Universal was the only one able to make 100m big budget blockbuster to fill horror/adventure niche. Too bad it all went to hell. Shame bcoz the movie made only 20m less than 1 Thor which, despite even higher budget, got sequels.

Attached: mdem2.png (1360x1024, 433K)