3x3 thread - don't be a pussy and post edition

Well? Been a couple weeks. Post/rate/recommend. Let's see what you got.

Challenge: post your favorite films you've seen this year.

Attached: this kills the 3x3 thread.jpg (945x1128, 241K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Enb7gt3T
bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php
befunky.com/create/collage/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who the fuck still watching movies in 2019? I've only seen new Tarantino flick, it was alright

not necessarily films FROM 2019, but films you've seen for the first time in 2019.

pic related for example, some of the ones I've enjoyed.

Attached: 3x3 2019.png (945x945, 1.2M)

post names nigga

Attached: 9 horror.png (1350x900, 2.18M)

Attached: 9 kinographie.png (1350x900, 3.37M)

>Jake G film
not really

Fairly silent-heavy as I watched a lot of them this year

Attached: 2019Top.jpg (940x940, 617K)

also interested

Try me.

Attached: 3by3.png (900x898, 1.2M)

da faq is the one in the centre?

Why do faggots pretend to not like good movies?

Yeah lets make fun of younger people getting into film.

And you fags wonder why disney is taking over.

Pacific Rim or as I like to call it, the sequel that Robot Jox deserved

ohh I see I love pacific rim that must be one of those old gen Jaeger

Alice (1988), Brick (2005), The Secret Garden (1993)
Phantom of the Paradise (1974), Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010), Vertigo (1958)
The Wind Rises (2013), Black Moon (1975), The Cranes Are Flying (1957)

No one is saying the films are bad, they're just entry-level. We make fun of you so you can expand your palette a bit. Don't be such a pussy.

Attached: 3x3 2019 part 2.png (945x945, 1.13M)

That's the Mark 1 Horizon Brave, from the intro sequence at the beginning of the film. Best Jeager, and also the most interesting and impactful shot I could find on a quick google to use for the 3x3

cool shit

based, especially center for the scene you depicted. might be my favorite ending to a film of all time.

I recognize none of these. names?

enjoyed Hardcore Henry and Shin Godzilla, meh on the rest. haven't seen the new godzilla yet though.
recommendations: The Mist (2007) and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (if you're into anime)

Attached: fafdm.jpg (687x400, 60K)

Attached: 3x3normcore.jpg (1371x1008, 298K)

Y*kes. If you’re not 16 grow up

watch Nanook of the North and then switch that in for the inferior Tabu

I'll just make a text post
>Big Hero 6
>Mulholland Drive
>Unbreakable
>The Silence of the Lambs
>Beavis and Butthead Do America
>Let the Right One In
>Nocturnal Animals
>Blue Velvet
>The Bridge on the River Kwai

Attached: d75b00d89d3446390914f445556c91a317f47835.jpg (600x300, 33K)

Is that one in the upper left corner The Fly?

Attached: 3x3.png (945x945, 826K)

make a grid you lazy faggot. your picks are solid except for Big Hero 6, why THAT of all things

It's my favorite film. I wrote an 11k word essay on why I love it.

Post it

can I see it? genuinely curious, I've never met anyone who's very passionate about that film.

Attached: 1543545403994.jpg (1860x1013, 972K)

Here you go
pastebin.com/Enb7gt3T

What are your thoughts on Black Moon? I really enjoyed some segments of it, but some I found to be shit. I don't know how I'd rate the movie overall, but I think it's a worthwhile experience.

>119458891

Attached: aiportraits_1563775546.jpg (1024x512, 96K)

I really like last temptation way more than passion

Seen Jin-Roh, it had cool animation but the story really didn't click with me, same with Akira though Jin Roh's was probably the more interesting of the two. I've been meaning to watch The Mist for fucking years, at one point I sat down to and mixed it up with another film the same friend had recommended me and accidentally watched The Grey with Liam Neeson instead, lmao.
You should definitely check out the new Godzilla, of those it's probably tied for first place for me. It's always gonna sting that I never got to see it twice as it got taken out of viewings early while several consecutive marvel movie releases were still being fucking shown at the same damn time, stretching easily two months back or more.

based user delivers. I'll read this over the course of the next few days.

Attached: happy dougie jones with coffee.jpg (316x342, 22K)

Nah, that's Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

I've already seen every Flaherty film and Tabu is better than all of them. He actually co-wrote the script and directed the opening scene.

top row?

Can you be any more of a hipster? the other two Monty Python movies are better in almost every way.

I have very abstract feelings on the film, which is probably why I liked it so much. I think the virtue in filmmaking is the ability to explore feelings and ideas within ourselves that can't properly be expressed with words. Black Moon hit this note perfectly for me. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before and elicited a very surreal melancholy from me, not unlike my favorite film of all time, the 1985 animated film Angel's Egg. There were bits that I thought were fucking uncomfortable, but it only added to the phantasmagoria of the whole affair, like a vivid fever dream. The scene near the end where the children sing Tristan und Isolde was genuinely moving to me and solidified my enjoyment of the experience. I think for some people who are intent on abstracting the symbolism in things, the film may be a hard swallow -- but for a guy like me who relishes in the aesthetic and emotional journey of film I got a really good kick out of it. Definitely needs a rewatch soon, I'd like to explore more interpretations of it.

Attached: black moon.jpg (766x468, 49K)

Thanks for elaborating, you put it all pretty nicely. I can enjoy something that makes no sense (either literal or symbolic), but some of the scenes in the movie were still bad for me, although as I said, overall it is a worthwhile experience.
Also, what movies would you recommend to me if I enjoyed "The Phantom of Liberty"? That movie is a string of very random and absurd situations, but they all make sense on their own, if you understand what I mean.

It's really important to me, man, and life of brian loses a lot of steam in the middle anyways. I like how MoL feels like a proper successor to the flying circus, too. Still love all of them a lot

Nicely put, and that movie feels the most like a proper successor because it's like a collection of sketches instead of one story.
>It's really important to me
Can you elaborate?

Tell me how much of a normie I am

Attached: 3x3_favorites.png (900x900, 1.48M)

Just watched it a lot in my formative years, on a crappy early ipod touch, and the existentialism hits home even today

Thanks for sharing that, user. You're alright. We're all gonna make it.

Is it alright to really like all of these movies if I don't claim to be a cinephile and just enjoy movies that have a little more going on than your average flick? Are you a fag if you don't dive as deep as possible into every single hobby you have?

Attached: 3x3 2019.png (1354x1354, 2.29M)

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the Phantom of Liberty (I'm still a huge pleb honestly), but a quick search of the film reminded me of Bruno Bozzetto's animated film Allegro non troppo (1976), which is sort of a parody of Fantasia where the entire film from the aniamted bits to the orchestral interludes is all complete nonsense. The Bolero sequence is probably the film's most artistically significant feat, but the rest of the movie features some really unique Italian slapstick comedy. I didn't think I would like it but I ended up loving it, would highly recommend.

Attached: allegro non troppo.jpg (511x384, 17K)

Nah.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, it sounds like a movie I'd like. Also be sure to watch "Phantom of Liberty", it's one of Bunuel's best alongside "The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie " and "The Exterminating Angel".

normie or not I think your picks are pretty great, but you're a faggot for writing in the names.

Don't have a 3x3 but 12 angry men is my favorite movie

oh shit is the point to guess the movies? I'm retarded I never made that connection

brick convinced me with that one frame but I thought it was shit.
>tfw haven't seen enough films this year to fill a 3x3

names? I haven't seen 8/9 of these films but your caps alone make me intrigued by them. I love people who put effort into their grids.

not so much about guessing, more like communicating. seeing an interesting screencap and asking about it is a way for people to enthuse about movies that interest them. if you spoonfeed people it makes the whole thing less collaborative. that's what I get out of it at least.

Brick definitely ain't for everyone. I liked it because of its kind of cringy/campy style, like the kind of film a high schooler would make if they had proper equipment and a reasonable budget. Reminded me of Twin Peaks at times. Charmingly awkward.
>tfw haven't seen enough films this year to fill a 3x3
post your normal one then lad

Attached: 3x3 animation.png (945x945, 1.16M)

sorry for scuffed picture i just took screenshots in vlc and pasted them in pdn

Attached: 3x3.png (1975x1112, 2.44M)

Haven't seen many new movies this year, here's this shit.

Attached: Seventh_Seal_1957_chess_5.jpg (713x712, 173K)

>names?
Fitzcarraldo, Good Time, Silence
Les Diaboliques, Dr. Zhivago, Paths of Glory
Inside Llewyn Davis, Get Carter, Once Upon a Time in America
It's been a pretty decent year for movies considering I've only seen relatively few.

Might as well

Attached: 3x3 villains.png (1354x1354, 2.06M)

Attached: 3x3 b&w film.png (1354x1354, 1.48M)

bump

Attached: cooper clock.jpg (335x289, 19K)

Scattershot of my all time favorites across genres, I don't claim to be patrician.

Attached: 3x3.jpg (3014x1714, 875K)

, Is that Alice one with depictions of the jabberwocky in a large fancy parlour with a huge mirror on the wall? (Or does it not deal with that Alice at all? I remember there being a few Alice adaptations in the 80s.)
I was thinking of doing that if I got around to it, glad to know beforehand it isn't wanted.
, >Top Right x2
Kino'd and Hunterpilled.

I hated the Last Temptation because I'm Catholic. That movie is Jewish subversion. The Passion is definitely not a movie for everyone, though. It's 2 hours of watching people beat the shit out of Jesus and killing him. There are very few movies with Jesus in them that aren't terrible, and The Passion is the one that stands out the most, other than Ben-Hur.

no, this is the czech Alice in Wonderland with really trippy stop motion puppets straight out of your nightmares. whoever designed these things was a fucking lunatic.

Attached: alice 1988.jpg (634x473, 79K)

The other Sergio Leone westerns are good, but none of them so good as For a Few Dollars More. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly was too long and I didn't like that the goal was treasure. A Fistful of Dollars is a better version of a Kurosawa movie, but it doesn't have an interesting cast. Once Upon a Time in the West was great, and the only one that you could argue is Leone's best. Doesn't have Clint Eastwood so it's not as cool. Fistful of Dynamite was a step down from the other films and Once Upon a Time in New York is about Jews, which is boring and a turn off.

Attached: colonel mortimer.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

If you like puppetry, check out The Dark Crystal and Little Shop of Horrors (original ending). It's amazing how they made the puppets and animatronics. I can't warp my head around how they made such a big plant that can move its lips so much that it looks like it's singing.

Are there any other plays that you like?

fun films and kino

Attached: 1545008118066.jpg (1840x920, 493K)

Attached: topsters2 (1).png (892x892, 303K)

>The Good, The Bad and the Ugly was too long
>Once Upon a Time in the West was great, and the only one that you could argue is Leone's best.

I thought top right was Valerie and her week of wonders

Source on the bottom left?

Too lazy for a 3x3, but the best films I've watched for the first time this year are Stalker, Network, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Wild Bunch, Nightcrawler, Chinatown, and Pulp Fiction.

Just looked this up on YouTube

What the fuck

unbelievably based good job user

Attached: horse.png (641x437, 628K)

It's not. Valerie's bottom middle on the second grid. I'll grant they do share some aesthetic similarities, makes you wonder if the director of The Secret Garden took inspiration.

The Wild Swans (1962). Exit-level obscure Soviet animation. Might be overly saccharine to someone who doesn't have the patience for fairy tales, but it's nonetheless a really beautiful and unique piece of art with some fantastic music. Sort of like Sleeping Beauty if it were made by bankrupt communists. I found it to be very moving. Can't recommend it if you're not into animation. Make sure you find the original Russian version if you do plan on it, the english edition is abysmal.

not a tarantino fan, otherwise good stuff user make a damn chart you lazy fuck

Attached: the wild swans.jpg (843x411, 53K)

haha wtf did you start watching movies this year, newfag?

what's the third one on the bottom row?

I wish I liked De Palma more than I do.

What the best way to make a grid with our own screen shots?

No, I started working through my list of "classics" that I'd never seen.

Jacob's Ladder

bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php
befunky.com/create/collage/

Now that I'm back from camp, I can focus on shortening my watchlist.
>Whisper
Nice, that's one my all time favorite. If you haven't already seen it, Begonia & Big Fish is a nice one from China.

Attached: msc18.jpg (1536x1536, 506K)

Couldn't do the Challenge at all (maybe fill in 3 spots max), so here is a 3x3 of my top 9 in no particular order.

Attached: cinema-grid-aug2019_1600x.jpg (1800x1200, 624K)

embryos
>>/out/

Attached: 1551738994728.jpg (1000x1000, 734K)

>calling Disney “The Mouse”

Attached: image.jpg (454x520, 78K)

>The Wild Swans (1962).
Thank you, man. I'm actually a huge fan of Soviet animation because I grew up with a ton of Baseduzmultfilm cartoons on VHS so I'll definitely check this out.

>Lily Chou-Chou
:'(

>best War & Peace version
nice

>12 Monkeys
When I first saw it I wasn't into it because I just can't appreciate time-travelling kino. I'm warming up to it

What's the bottom-middle one?

Is that hara kiri on top-left?
That was very hard to watch.

Attached: mosaic5fcf4a5b531bd3d1f99c0554e2d7969cadecdfeb.jpg (920x920, 214K)

>Is that hara kiri on top-left?
Yes
>That was very hard to watch.
What do you mean?

I just mean that it's pretty sad, specially with the whole bamboo sword and ending.

For every animated movie, there's a wannabe cinefaggot that feels the need to justify why they love a kids movie
Every single mediocre kids film probably has thousands of essays about it somewhere on the internet

Films I love on an emotion level are very different to films I love on a technical level. Which type are you after?

Didn't see Possession until this year. Was pretty disappointed in myself for putting it off for so long.

Attached: img.jpg (2048x2048, 2.11M)

Attached: mosaic60687a4ca55db5d6d1814366369434b3f5d602b0.jpg (920x920, 261K)

name of top left and bottom middle?

Aside of Pulp Fiction it's not that shocking

Attached: iPiccy-collage.jpg (2000x2000, 2.05M)

Videodrome
On the Silver Globe