Who was right? The most sane?

Who was right? The most sane?

Attached: 1565581217088.jpg (1527x2187, 524K)

I'll expand on this since I was ready to make a whole new one before I realized this actually did post:
I'm thinking April was in the most right, and Frank was the most sane. Frank was misguided to fall into the glamour of settling into a new, European life, then getting sucked back into the suburbs by the only thing that he hates due to money. Nonetheless, this was the most sane decision, given the settings of mid-20th century suburbia. April's actions in spite of this were irrational and added fuel to a fire that could've been put out early in the movie.
Thoughts? I'd expand more on the affairs, and especially the ending and the cultural implications of abortions and how it tied in, but I just want to have a discussion about a movie that seems on the surface to be a generic dreams-gone-rogue drama.

Not the BPD roastie

Is it indicated anywhere that she actually has BPD? I always thought she wasn't exactly "right" in the head (especially with the setting) but I don't think she suffered from any personality disorders. I looked at the film, and April especially,, and I'll probably get laughed at for this, as a Black Mirror-esque criticism of modern suburbian living and how it weighs on people trying to make something new of their life. Others tend to disagree, and say that the setting was merely a set-up that included American economic prosperity and unfavorable views of abortions, and the trapped feeling of the late-Silent Generation settling into new suburban life, but I don't think that's the case. After all, the novel itself was set in the 1960s, and written in the 1960s.

Looking into it, though, it seems a lot of people have this same view and the novel was considered the first anti-suburb novel. Ah well, maybe I'm sending myself through a loop here, and parroting things said time and time again as though I'm original. I won't embarrass myself any further and I hope others can discuss it instead of it being buried underneath swaths of GoT and sneedposts.

How did people live before suburbia?

I don't know, but I was devastated by this movie.
That scene where he's running...jesus

Well, poverty, and before that, well, prosperity. The point is, while cities were expanding, America was still seen as a country moving from the towns into the city, and was generally an eventful time to live. After the Great Depression, and after WWII, people moved out of the city into homogeneous, copy-paste suburbs they didn't intend to move out of.

Her husband had a good job, they lived in a big house in the suburbs, but it wasn't enough for her. She was a proto-Instagram/-Tinder baby-killing psycho whore. "Take me on an adventure!"

>this is your brain on /pol/

He's right you know.

That, frankly, wasn't enough for lots of people. That's why Generation X is widely considered to be the first yuppie generation. They didn't like the suburban life the Silents and the Boomers lended themselves much of their lives to, and this new (not really, if you ask the Greatest Generation) take on new, refreshed, city living wasn't all that illogical. Of course, Revolutionary Road painted a rather exaggerated, yet realistic, picture of this, but to call April wrong for wanting that kind of revitalized life is partly the reason it took people 2 generations to break the strong-held suburban ceiling.

Did you watch the movie?

She was resentful because he lacked the strength of character to do and live as he wanted.
Ultimately she was uncompromising and he was weak, bad match.

This. She even outright said multiple times in the movie that she hated how complacent he was, it wasn't really about Paris, or wanting to move someplace else.

What does the "good job" matter? He hates it.
Nobody is impressed by these 9 to 5 martyrs who decide to suffer through a life they choose for themselves.

Things change when you have a child and wife to support.

Michael Shannon

He doesn't need to support her.
That's the point.

They could've done the same thing in Paris. He wasn't man enough to chase his dreams and decided to be persuaded by money that they didn't need in lieu of a life that they wanted. That's what his wife resented him for.
And, his wife was going to support them for the time being, so that makes the entire point null. The real conflict of the entire plot is within Frank's head, and what he wanted out of his life, which was money for the sake of being money.

I don’t want to talk about the Wheelers anymore.

book's better

Attached: 9780099518624.jpg (260x400, 14K)

I was planning on reading the book tomorrow but I thought I'd discuss the movie on Yea Forums

Why do people fall for the marriage meme

The movie is also quite good, and is as accurate as they could've made it. But, I wish I could've read the book without having seen the film beforehand. It's a masterpiece, my personal favorite novel.

Because they think it's the best way to live.

After you read it look into Yates’ other books, it’s a shame some of his other books never got a screenplay. I fell in love with his writing it just manages to grab you.
Then read his Biography if you’re looking for more to read.

based
he is the only one who expose all the hypocrisy of every character in the film.