What the fuck was this movie about?

What the fuck was this movie about?

Attached: The_Shining.jpg (503x755, 68K)

An ADOS?

Attached: jack.jpg (640x480, 15K)

More importantly, why did they buy the rights to Stephen King's book if the movie had nothing to do with it?

A dude trying to kill his family.

The USA is built on the blood of colonial genocide, and this dark past haunts the nation.

A white man who'd finally had enough of women and minorities holding him back.

But the setting isnt particularly American. Its true they do the whole Indian Burial Ground thing and I don't doubt youre right thats the theme, but svene by scene the movie has npthong to do with America and could be the tale of any person going to a cursed place and turning crazy. I could say The Shining is about how moondust makes people crazy too. Is it really in depth about America?

I honestly think it's just King's shallow attempt at creating a metaphor about how alcoholism destroys families via delusions and paranoia. I haven't read the book in a long time, but are ghosts explicitly shown or mentioned?

The moondust thing isn't something that's in the movie. In the movie the hotel is haunted by the ghosts of racist bourgeois Americans. The Indian Burial Ground part is the entire reason behind the hauntings so logically yes that is the principle theme throughout the film.

Whose face is that on the t?

duno but it looks spooky

Kubrick masturbations.

It's the premise of the movie, sure, I agree completely, its just that the actual CONTENT of the movie is a crazy man running around a maze-like hotel, and I don't think most of the runtime is actually relevant to that. His craziness isn't even really reflective of American behavior.

The alcoholic abusive father and the submissive wife is a common American domestic archetype, which is what the movie focuses on

I guess those archetypes don't ring as true for me anymore, if they made this movie now it would be about schizophrenia

So Kubrick could make Stephen King sperg out about it for the next 4 decades, Shelley Duvall wasn't the only person he intentionally mindraped.

The movie dosn’t even outright say it or even try to mention it but if you piece some hints together throughout the movie, you come to find out Jack once sexually abused his son

Attached: EDC94D96-D8F9-4B5F-947E-BDF61E8B8056.jpg (614x403, 92K)

I disagree with this, it would mean Kubrick made a ghost story and thought it tonally appropriate to imply the rape of a child, as if it were fitting. It's just a stupid and lurid thing that losers would find interesting

besides that magazine there is no other implication that jack did such a thing.

>ghost story
nigga what?

wrong

Attached: 1558735736137.jpg (900x900, 61K)

>It's all in his head bro
Still a ghost story

Why do people insist Kubrick is so fucking occult? I get its a ghost story, but is Kubrick really trying to express that the truth is so arcane and obscure, and something requiring high symbolic detective work? Why didn't he make a movie about THAT, instead of allegedly having all his movies truths be a secret? You're really supposed to see that magazine, cross reference it against the original, read a headline off of it, and determine this is the character's motivation? I don't think that was his intent.

their psychics dipshit.

Kubrick was obviously quite interested in hidden symbology and conspiracies, but to nowhere near the same degree a lot of his fans take it
I'm not surprised this dumbass would think that

Ghost
1. an apparition of a dead person which is believed to appear or become manifest to the living, typically as a nebulous image.

Any time a person perceives the spirit of a dead person, whether delusionally or accurately, the are experiencing a ghost

Still a ghost story

fine gayboys have it your way

I know it sounds like pointless semantics, but yeah he goes to a haunted house and ghosts tell him to kill people, delusion or not. It is what it is.

A cool dad and an ungrateful family.

this film was pretty underwhelming for me. it felt when it was supposed to be claustrophobic or hemmed in it was actually being very open and spacious - at least visually. Also Jack seemed like a psychopath from the very beginning so there felt like no development of his character

You think they set a film in a massive empty hotel intending it to be claustrophobic? What's wrong with your brain