Why did Disney make a bunch of sequels and spinoffs exclusively for VHS and DVD back in the day...

Why did Disney make a bunch of sequels and spinoffs exclusively for VHS and DVD back in the day? Weird considering all their big movies are sequels, spinoffs and reboots now

Attached: The_Lion_King_II-Simba's_Pride_poster.jpg (250x381, 54K)

Lasseter is the one who put a stop to that.

home video was starting to take off and it was becoming common to have a VCR in your house. Disney, having rarely created anything original in its entire history as a company, took advantage of this by releasing shitty sequels to their old hits.

I'm just glad that TLK2 turned out as good as it did. It's a legitimately good sequel and one of the few of these that don't feel completely pointless.

Lion king one and a half blows both out of the water

It's called Lion King 3 where I'm from

Because they were cheap to make and sold really well to families with little kids. Some of them are pretty good.

Until you consider that the boy and girl lions are related, then it gets kind of weird.

TLK2 was releases in theatres internationally except in America.

There's a lot of direct-to-video stuff that has gotten theatrical releases internationally. I'm pretty sure the Ewok movies did in Europe.

Actually, Kovu isn't Scar's son but he was chosen by Scar to be king after him.

For money and because established IPs are more popular than new ones? Not to be rude, but the cost of creating an IP is very high and risky, it's an utter waste not to use a popular IP more than once

Disney may be the face of capitalism but its incredibly sane to follow up on old IPs

How much does it cost studios to release a movie to thearters?

The music in this is actually pretty good.

DECEPTION

It was a quick and easy money grab. They didn't put any actual effort into them for a couple reasons. 1. They didn't need their A Team working on them. The sequels would do fine on name alone, thus freeing up their talent for new IPs. 2. Disney had some modicum of artistic integrity. Churning out sequels would be easy, but there would be nothing new. 3. Merchandise. They thought it would be a lot harder to sell 20 different kinds of lion toys for the Lion King cinematic universe than 20 completely different toys for 20 unrelated movies. 4. Brand quality. The sequels were direct to video because it was easy for them to say "those aren't real Disney movies, so don't let their subpar quality make you think any less of the real Disney."

Home video was big between 1995 and 2005, and those direct-to-dvd sequels where cheap and easy to make.

typically 5 to 10 million for a low budget limited release movie (unless we're talking only special events level limited release) to in excess of 400 million for today's top blockbusters. The Last Jedi and Avengers Endgame had a combined production and marketing budget of 600 million each.

Direct to video sequels where also big at the time in general, everyone was doing it but Disney stands out because at the time there was an expectation for Disney to have quality that the rest didn't have.

>the lion king 2 is a racemixing propaganda, essentially black male/white female pairing

disgusting

Attached: simbas_pride_4554.jpg (1920x1080, 199K)

uh, aren't they cousins?

Parents don't want to watch ion king 800 times so they need to mix it up

Love Will Find a Way > Can You Feel the Love Tonight

Song's been in my head all day. Love it.

uh, no.

Does it really? I've still never seen it.

isn't kovu scar's son? that makes them cousins.

This has already been addressed higher up in the thread

Why did it take so long?

The VHS sequels were done by their TV animation team in way less time on a way smaller budget, usually with a few cast substitutes. They could knock those out in a few months whereas their cinematic entries took years (Lion King for example had been in development since 1988 with an initial script written as early as 1990).

I liked it when I was a kid. Had a lot of special features, DVD games and such. It was a product of its era.

Most of them served a double function as TV show pilots.

Even Asylum ripoff movies get (or at least used to) get theatrical releases in Europe.

Or where the result of them. Atlantis II was made buy taking the episodes of the show that had been done when the project was cancelled and welding them together.

The same lasseter that greenlighted the planes spim-offs? Straight to dvs just died because people stopped buying dvds