The best Star Trek movie

>the best Star Trek movie
>everyone hated it for being too sci-fi

What happened? I thought Trekkies loved sci-fi?

Attached: 4DEC202A-D964-4930-B6C1-C993C27BC992.jpg (900x1334, 572K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/217336882
youtube.com/watch?v=e7NsorsSoCQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1 is kino get the fuck outta here
Even 5 really isnt all that terrible
Tho i watched these flicks as a young lad so ill appreciate them no matter what

The premise of the thread is that The Motion Picture is the best Star Trek movie and is questioning why shallow Trek fans weren’t able to appreciate it. It isn’t shitting on the movie in the slightest.

Trekkies like the characters dealing with science, not the actual science

The didn’t like that Kirk and Spock and McCoy bitched at each other for the first hour

I love that film, it's among my favories from the ST films, visually stunning, if a tad slow and overshot

also, it's in theaters again on Sept. 15th and 18th

well, the audience hadn't seen them for over a decade, dusting off the cobwebs a bit is something of a way of getting back in the saddle

If you guys have time read about the troubled VFX production, it’s a good read

Also based Trumbull for using non green screen matters so the ship could be extra shiny and beautiful

>a tad slow and overshot

This desu. The 20 minute legacy cut was superior:
vimeo.com/217336882

The problem was they went for 2001 when people wanted Kirk punching Klingons.

Not a bad a film at all, quite good if just a TOUCH too long (The Director's Cut is perfect imo) and quite a stunning visual acheviement given the material they had to work with, but they had several things going against it:
>Star Wars had come out 9 months earlier
>They stretched out a pair of television scripts into a 3 hour movie, which is why nothing of importance happens for over an hour
>Robert Wise was a lazy fuck directing and thus the budget was blown
>After waiting a decade, people wanted Kirk punching klingons and fucking space babes, not a cerebral thinking man's sci fi movie

So overall, a good movie (6.5/10) but had too many problems to make it great

its budget was absolutely staggering, like 40 million dollars of 1970s money, or something like that. at least some of it seemed to appear on screen

Star Trek 1 is a very good film, but it has some major flaws
>slow as fuck at times with endless shots of them panning around the Enterprise
>Interior of Enteprise is too cold and sterile. Every color (including the uniforms) is white, grey, or beige
>lacked a villain
>No funny banter between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. This was VERY important to the show and something the other treks lacked. At the end of The Motion Picture, McCoy says he's going to remain on the ship, and Nimoy adlibbed "well Doctor, for the safety of the ship and it's crew, if you are going to stay onboard, I must as well", and it got a big laugh, but the producers cut it.

came here to post this basically. people were expecting it to be like star wars and it wasn't at all. the only real problems it has imo is the uniforms and enterprise interior look like shit. also the scene where kirk and scotty are first boarding the enterprise took way too fucking long. other than that really cool movie.

This.
It was more of sequel to the unaired "The Cage" pilot.

>lacked a villain

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a film that lacks a villain.

can we talk about this poster though? it's a masterpiece

>There is absolutely nothing wrong with a film that lacks a villain.
I didn't say there was. But this film could have used one (considering how overall slow it was with not much happening most of the time).

At the beginning of every Netflix show now, the camera zooms into the red N and when it gets really close it becomes a bunch of color bars. Reminds me of this poster.

>Even 5 really isnt all that terrible
I would watch 5 over any of the JJ Treks or Discovery.
And 5 had probably the best emotional sequence in Trek history (the scene with Bones' dying father).

I disagree with you. I liked the machine looking interior, it had weight to it. The bridge was too big, but it grew on me.

The uniforms were completely shit, agreed.

FUCK YOU, the travel pod scene was kino. Long? Yes. Long because we're looking at the motherfucking ENTERPRISE after missing her for over a decade, looking better than ever? FUCK YES

Did you watch the Cage? It has nothing to do with that. Its closer to The Changeling, along with elements of the Phase 2 Pilot, and a long standing story idea Roddenberry had about the Enterprise meeting god.

>FUCK YOU, the travel pod scene was kino. Long? Yes. Long because we're looking at the motherfucking ENTERPRISE after missing her for over a decade, looking better than ever? FUCK YES
the music was great and it looked great but come on. we get it, it's the enterprise. it felt very excessive is all im saying

It's boring. I know it's a cliche criticism of this movie but it's true.
They took the plot of one of the TOS episodes, and stretched it to over 2 hours. You've already guessed the twist half an hour before the movie's over if you've seen the show.

Also the uniforms and set design are mind boggling ugly.

>Did you watch the Cage?
Yes, the Cage was a more "cerebral" scifi show that the network deemed "too boring". That's why I said The Motion Picture is like a sequel to "The Cage".
The user I was replying to correctly said that "people wanted Kirk punching Klingons"
> Its closer to The Changeling
All the movies borrow heavily from TOS episodes. But that's not what I was talking about.

I'd prefer to have a 10 minute beauty shot of the Enterprise over modern bullshit any day of the fucking week.

It was me, I misunderstood your argument, I thought you were directly comparing Motion Picture to the Cage in terms of plot, not tone. My appologies

>Boring uniforms
It's a Robert Wise sci-fi. You get what have. The Day The Earth Stood Still and The Andromeda Strain almost have the same uniforms.

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed it very much.

They would have been fine for like, scientists, but for starfleet? gtfo

I'll always love the Wrath of Khan uniforms. A proper navy uniform.

Attached: star-trek-the-wrath-of-khan-uniforms.jpg (775x564, 230K)

Well, they were designed by the same guy. Ironically. Wrath of Khan is probably the best looking Starfleet Uniform. The Science crew have a very distinctive look that haven't been duplicated since.

>the best Star Trek movie
Star Trek V is indeed the best Star Trek movie.

Attached: go climb a rock faggot.png (743x534, 407K)

>lacked a villain

Attached: i recognize that.jpg (569x1055, 109K)

1 feels like the TV show but given a true cinematic scope and budget and artistic vision
5 feels like the TV show but running on even less than the TV show budget

Just watched The Voyage Home yesterday. It's best ST and in the running for top 80s kino.

>the scene with Bones' dying father
youtube.com/watch?v=e7NsorsSoCQ

I unironically love the scene where they meet "God".

Why doesn’t he have a penis

It's honestly a shame Star Trek 5 is so full of low budget shlock, Sybok is probably the best and most interesting character in any of the films.

indeed, I liked the character, it's a shame they moved it in an uninteresting direction

>They stretched out a pair of television scripts into a 3 hour movie, which is why nothing of importance happens for over an hour
This is why the first Trek movie is pure kino -- it's the closest you get in any Trek film to being Star Trek. It's basically like a two-parter from the series. It has the feel of a Trek episode -- they're investigating a science-fiction problem and trying to find a solution.

I agree that it may've been a bit too heady for what most of the re-run syndication fanbase might've wanted but I think that also gives the movie a second-life as a cult classic. As a stand-alone film, it's pretty great, one of my favorites.

Attached: deathwish-still1.jpg (600x402, 36K)