What went well?

What went well?

Attached: galactica.jpg (970x300, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5XysLvdc4sI?t=184
vimeo.com/51466779
youtube.com/watch?v=jCI6wS1_7tM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

most of it, honestly. I just wish they had at least made the barest sketch of an outline at some point because they really liked to write themselves into corners

I still don't understand how they could get away with her storyline

Attached: tv-death-kara-thrace-640x360.jpg (640x360, 33K)

the first 2 seasons, the end of the new caprica arc, and the baltar trial. everything else was a mess

that comfy spaceship home feeling

Good characters that kept surprising you, nice balance between myth, mysteries and "hard sci-fi", great mix of problem of week and a continuous story.

For the first two seasons at any rate, though I still liked 3 and 4.

was actually surprised to learn how many episodes were based off of premises from the original series, even New Caprica though it’s quite different

>the amount of humans left alive could fit in a small stadium
>the president (female) decides that saving the human race from extinction is probably a good idea and outlaws abortion
>roasties get toasty and vote for a literal traitor

how was Caprica so shit? Like what was going on there?
Just make it a military drama of the war between Caprica and Tauron or whatever and then have their combat robots go crazy and begin the Cylon war
simple as that

The soundtrack.

-The Adama maneuver.
-The first two seasons.

pretty much everything except the final half a season. should have ended it when they found the nuclear wasteland on earth

It wasn't awful. I was too distracted by the cute grills to enjoy it though. Really wanted to bang the rebel cutie and the robot chick.

Soundtrack
characters
mythology
special effects

it was absolutely terrible user, it was like a cw show in terms of quality

This is really the correct answer.

Also Bear McCreary. God bless that man. He defined the sound of drama in space for a decade. Really good stuff that elevated the sophomoric plotting.

Literally the fact that there was a character named Baltar.

it was pretty shit yea
it was like when 343 obtained the halo franchise and created a canon of the origin of everything that you didn’t care to know about and pissed away the Halo trilogy’s mystique

they introduced the most interesting characters of the serie in the pilot and then put them aside

Attached: caprica-alessandra-torresani-e-magda-apanowicz-in-una-foto-promozionale-144886.jpg (451x600, 55K)

>how was Caprica so shit? Like what was going on there?
Moore made the mistake of giving the showrunner seat to Jane Espenson (a Whedonite) who only cares about creating gay OCs (she's the one who made Felix a faggot in the webisodes).

Attached: Caprica - U-87 in Zoe's room.webm (720x400, 2.93M)

A lot of it went well. The two hour mini-series and the first two seasons, the first few episodes of season three, and the Razor side story were great.
I never saw Caprica or Blood and Chrome so I can't say if they were any good.

>Also Bear McCreary. God bless that man. He defined the sound of drama in space for a decade.
I wish more showrunners would care about music and themes. Bear did some great stuff later on TSCC, Human Target and Black Sails.

Caprica had a great cast but a really bad showrunner. The show got better once Kevin Murphy took over but it was too late.

Attached: Caprica - Daniel and the U-87.webm (720x400, 1.86M)

>and the Razor side story were great.
I will never undestand Yea Forumss love to Razor.

Mafia arc was absolutely retarded thou

Blood and Chrome is super weird. It feels like a completely different show. Not bad, just weird and different

before the filler episodes

I like it mostly because I got to see more of the Pegasus. Plus, I thought the "main character" Kendra Shaw was a cutie.

Attached: 200px-KendraShaw.jpg (200x299, 8K)

and the v world arc
And the religious arc
and..

it was bad. I remember the expectations and ads - it supposed to be a gamechanger. It was a mess.

Attached: BSG_S01E10 - The Hand of God1.webm (720x404, 1.67M)

I rewatched the miniseries recently and the effect really still hold up.

>religious
it was consistent with the main show. The v world was cringe I agree

it was but it was done in such a cliche and uninteresting manner

due to a lot of practicals

Attached: BSG_S01E06 - Litmus.webm (720x404, 1.68M)

Yeah, I didn't like how they took some liberties with the sets in the Galactica, making it big and complex just because they could use CGI everywhere (the CIC didn't look like the one from the show, the hangar bay was way too big, etc.). That said it was quite incredible on a technical aspect. A small group of artists from the former team who worked on the last 2 seasons of BSG had to render thousands of shots in a short amount of time.

true. Poliandria with the main character thou

Attached: BSG_S01E07.webm (720x404, 2.29M)

Saul and Gaius were the best character

>I will never undestand Yea Forumss love to Razor.
I feel that way about the miniseries actually - I really like bits of it, like when the attack happens, Baltar fleeing, then the battle to escape the Cylon blockade at the end, but otherwise I think the miniseries has awful pacing.
The bit where they stop at Ragnar Anchorage is dull as shit when Adama is walking around and fights Leoben.
I always recommend newcomers to start with 33, then watch the miniseries afterwards like a flashback.
The majority of people I know who watched the miniseries first ended up dropping it, whereas everyone I know who started with 33 was totally hooked.

>I always recommend newcomers to start with 33, then watch the miniseries afterwards like a flashback.
compared to the S1 the miniseries might be dull but it makes no sense especially when it comes to Baltar and Six

Best all round episode in the show imo, I always recommend it if someone wants to get a flavour for it and isn't sure whether to watch or not

The way they handled the "secret Cylon" aspect of the show was such a fucking disappointment and ruined the show for me.
>make Cylon replicants out to be a massive threat at the beginning of the show
>Cylons 1-8 are all nobodies who are each revealed to be replicants in the same episode they're introduced
>none of the final five ever do anything subversive, either before or after their reveal
>Athena/Boomer/Valeri is the only replicant Cylon that actually feels like a threat, but after she decides she likes the humans Adama gives her a free pass and everyone trusts her for no reason

checked, but Six degrees of separation is the peak of the season. Just perfect

Attached: BSG_S01E10 - The Hand of God2.webm (720x404, 2.1M)

Caprica had some really good science fiction concepts but badly executed (like I said, Espenson was the wrong choice). The VR world was a cool concept but they should've spent more time worldbuilding and not just remain in a Caprica vs Tauron angle and get lost in the religion story.
When they announced that the show would be about Joseph Adama, I thought that they would've made an episode or two showing how great of a lawyer he was but no, Espenson wanted more gay brother who worked for the mafia.

Attached: Holoband (Caprica).png (451x463, 151K)

Punished Saul was good.

Attached: bsgs3e16.jpg (960x528, 29K)

>makes no sense especially when it comes to Baltar and Six
I actually don't think it needs to make sense during that first episode, I think it's much better to be thrown into the middle of the action where everything is incredibly intense and there's a lot of shit going on, then after that episode toning things back and going to the miniseries to find out the context behind it.
I really think the miniseries gives off the wrong impression about the show, a lot of the tone feels quite different, and I'd also say the acting is pretty bad in the miniseries because the actors haven't settled into the roles.
papa Adama is really wooden throughout those first two episodes.

>Saul
>Gaius
>not Felix or Cottle

Putting explicit nudity/sex into those spin-offs was a really strange decision. It made them feel incredibly disconnected.

they didn’t know where the fuck they were going with any of that stuff

thats autism and you know it.

>The chain smoking doctor that gave both the president of the twelve colonies and the X.O. of Galactica a hard time and was the first to volunteer to save some weird ass human-cylon hybrid baby
How can one man be so based?

dont forget space super flu that ended in one episode

>I always recommend newcomers to start with 33, then watch the miniseries afterwards like a flashback.
>The majority of people I know who watched the miniseries first ended up dropping it, whereas everyone I know who started with 33 was totally hooked.
This is how I started the show. I had no access to the miniseries and assumed 33 was the pilot. The cold start made the show REALLY intriguing. I watched the entire series and only after learned about the miniseries and watched it. It is a credit to the show that you can skip the miniseries and not get lost.

>Six degrees of separation is the peak of the season.
Great character episode, but I'd say Hand of God is a better all-round episode imo, it's got bits of Baltar's existential uncertainty, but also good character development for Kara and Lee, as well as the relationship between Lee and Bill, plus has the best action scenes in the season

Attached: source.gif (400x225, 3.69M)

>I will never undestand Yea Forumss love to Razor.
You get to see Cain being happy and then slowly lose her humanity.

Attached: Cain-Gina.jpg (512x288, 56K)

the whole her story was stupid. They (Adama and Roselyn) should have killed her right away

>Be part of a power structure
>Think your power structure had been totally demolished and now you're leading what's left
>Learn that you superior in command didn't die; they've actually been fighting the good fight this whole time you've been running and dying
>Get the chance to be a soldier taking orders again
It made perfect sense Adama fell in line. He is career military. What's ridiculous is the aftermath after Admiral Cain loses power.

Same goes for everything with the president, really. I really liked the tension between her and Adama in the first two seasons, but then that all goes out the window after she smokes space weed with him and decides she'd rather bang him instead. Then her cancer gets cured by Cylon magic and the writers decide that Starbuck should start being the religious prophet character for some reason.
It's not just that the writers clearly didn't have a plan, but that they kept making bafflingly stupid decisions that came back to haunt them later.

>It made perfect sense Adama fell in line. He is career military.
it was the case before the standoff between Galactica and Pegasus. After that Adama and Roselyn lernt how dangerous she is. And out of fucking nowhere Cain is above both civilian and military structures. They should have finished her where she was invited to Roselyn.

>They (Adama and Roselyn) should have killed her right away
Really? It would've ended in a bloodshed because I doubt that the Pegasus crew would've followed Adama's orders.

they literally risked the whole fleet otherwise. The president was in control and Cains crew hated her. They swallowed that fat bastard after her.

Right, but the standoff wasn't automatic. Didn't they run a joint mission before things escalated between the ships?

Attached: bsg resurrection ship battle.webm (1280x720, 1.77M)

>was the first to volunteer to save some weird ass human-cylon hybrid baby
Wait what?

Absolute kino.

>Same goes for everything with the president, really. I really liked the tension between her and Adama in the first two seasons, but then that all goes out the window after she smokes space weed with him and decides she'd rather bang him instead.
idk about you but this was peak comfy for me. try to remember the goddamn human race was near extinction.

Attached: mfw.jpg (654x590, 64K)

Don't know if you knew about it or not, but there was a major writers' strike which overshadowed production on the last two seasons - it's not a complete excuse as you could argue it should have been better planned from the beginning, but I reckon they didn't expect the series to take off as well as it did, then got fucked during the strike later on

Yeah the stand-off stopped when Kara came back from her mission with the stealth ship.

Attached: resemblance.jpg (1000x1125, 274K)

>Out of fucking nowhere Cain is above both civilian and military structures
She makes that decision and it's basically suggested because she's the senior commander she has all say over military matters, and that the running of the fleet is a matter for the military rather than the civilian government.
As I recall she is really dismissive as Roslin, partly because of her background in education

I never watched this show because i got gaslit and told the show goes to absolute dogshit near the end and that the payoff is nowhere near good.

Kara is daughter-tier.

The hard scifi battles.

women are strong without the sjw bullshit

Yeah, it was a great arc as well for both characters that they were able to eventually put their differences aside.
Also made for some interesting story points in that people like Zarek picked up on how close they were and used it to sow discord in the fleet by suggesting she would do whatever Adama told her to

I didn't know this, but it explains a lot.

>a matter for the military rather than the civilian government.
true but the same shit was with Adama in miniseries. Roselyn told Adama that the war is over and she is in charge now.

The ending episode is actually pretty good in its own right, the problem is it was a clumsy way to wrap up a lot of the plot points.
It's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be though, there's weird shit in the show that doesn't really make sense from the first season, so it's not out of place for it to happen again to resolve things at the end

Attached: BSG - Pegasus (3).webm (900x506, 1.87M)

if you think that BSG was sjw you shouldnt watch modern shows.

That's too bad user; it's a real fun ride and I mean that. Absolute space military kino. And unlike LOST it does have an ending instead of just leaving you holding your dick. Like LOST it is a convoluted clusterfuck but that's not really surprising: it is like LOST an ensemble drama made in the twilight years of broadcast television drama. Now all the dramas are on streaming services. Imagine how different BSG might have been had it been made 10 years later on Netflix.

>here was a major writers' strike
fucking kikes. You own me Jericho and Heroes.

She changed her stance on that pretty quickly though after the fleet nearly got destroyed at Ragnar Anchorage.
Also, Adama was willing to compromise and let the civilian government exist and still make decisions about the running of the fleet, so long as it didn't interfere when it came to military operations.
Cain saw Roslin as an idiot school teacher and didn't care about the fleet because she was obsessed with launching a counter-attack because she was wracked with guilt after running away during the Cylon attack

>Like LOST it is a convoluted clusterfuck
Is it?
It always seemed to me that the criticism is because the solution is overly simple, and that the resolution can be explained away really easily.
Sure, some of the plot points that led to that bit are complicated, like Hera, but the actual ending is really straightforward and not convoluted at all imo

Nothing

That was back when syfy would cancel a show if it didn't get 2 million+ viewers

Now syfy would do anything to get a show with 1+ million viewers

Attached: Screenshot_20190802-124958.png (2560x1440, 348K)

It was what SJWs were before it became part of the global entertainment kike agenda.

>Now syfy would do anything to get a show with 1+ million viewers
true thou.

RIP Farscape.
I still remember that ending and waiting for the next season.

You could argue LOST is straightforward
>DUDE what if Pandora's Box was a hole in the ground and your mission was to cork it LOL pass the bong man
BSG wasn't hard sci-fi by any means but it was REALLY silly to put a big chunk of the human race at risk in a Hail Mary attempt to save some weird baby just so the writers could ham-fist mitochondrial Eve in there like the dipshits they are.
>GUYS what if we fly ALL of our ships and useful metal shit including lathes and fabrication technology INTO THE SUN right?

Everything about that ending is dumb in the extreme, though it does have some nice shots of Galactica getting reamed out (post the webms someone).

Attached: shrug.png (554x439, 132K)

I started watching Farscape in ‘06 or ‘07 after the miniseries came out
Can’t even imagine seeing the S4 cliffhanger and then learning the show was cancelled lmao

GAIUS DID LITERALLY NOTHING WRONG. PROVE ME WRONG.

Attached: sjad1TX.jpg (937x1170, 84K)

Like that user said, if the show doesn't get gorillion views, it's hatchet time.

the first 1.5 seasons. And the Adama Maneuver

it’s stupid as fuck if you think about it for more than a second but on the surface it did wrap everything up

>broke: the Adama maneuver
>woke: the scene where Adama is hailed as a hero in the hanger bay while Tigh breaks down in the back

That's my whole point. The ending is there, but it's not particularly satisfactory.

Hera.

>Put a big chunk of the human race at risk in a Hail Mary attempt to save some weird baby
The Galactica was already fucked by then though, they knew that the ship couldn't hold up for more than a few more jumps.
The mission was volunteers only and realistically was mainly considered as a suicide mission just because they had nowhere else to go at that stage.
They transfer most of the equipment over to the Rebel Basestar, which gets left to guard the fleet. Galactica was pretty useless at that point itself and probably wouldn't have withstood more than one or two engagements.
As Adama put it earlier in the show, he was essentially rolling his 'hard six' and also wanted to go down with his ship.
Most of the people who took part in the assault on the colony were either the core crew who wouldn't have abandoned the ship, outed Cylon agents, and a dying president.

>Everything about that ending is dumb in the extreme

What did you want them to do? Hide the Galactica in geosynchronus orbit on the dark side of the moon? Cruise around the solar system doing nothing for the ending?
They didn't want to fight anymore and saw they could have a future on the planet.
They'd all been living in space for years, why the fuck wouldn't they decide to put that behind them and move down to the planet? They would have run out of resources in space anyway without having to repeatedly come down to the planet, and even then they would eventually have run out of fuel.

That's because despite being strong, they have flaws. You can't write women like that today unless you don't mind not writing in the industry anymore.

One of the very few things that irked me a bit about the show's lore was an early episode where Baltar explains that they will run out of food really quickly as they'd need thousands of tons of meat, vegetables and grain.
I don't remember the food source ever really being mentioned again apart from when they go to the algae planet where the Eye of Jupiter was. Most of the other logistics of how the fleet functions are covered pretty well, but it felt like they made a big thing out of the food problem in one episode and then never really mentioned it again.

>The Galactica was already fucked by then though etc
thanks I watched the show too. I know what happens. It's still a real mess. I will admit the assault on the end is pretty exciting, but it's also videogame tier. It's almost inexcusably sophomoric writing. They fly the ship into the super-fortified Cylon base and give it a good hard dicking before getting away practically unscathed, baby in tow, except now their ship is dead in the water and they just happen to be in orbit around Earth (not fake Earth, not dead Earth; real Earth this time).

What did you want them to do? Hide the Galactica in geosynchronus orbit on the dark side of the moon? Cruise around the solar system doing nothing for the ending?
Land whatever you can on the planet; leave Galactica in orbit; it's still accessible via Raptor and makes a useful space station.
As for "why live in space" my point is that it was really dumb to condemn their descendants to a subsistence lifestyle for the coming centuries when they could have consolidated their remaining infrastructure on the surface and made a pretty decent town or city out of the place, instead of dispersing to the wilds and abandoning their culture and technological wealth. It's lazy writing to make the ending fit what the writer's concept of archaeological history was.

Attached: 550px-Population_curve.svg_.png (550x325, 8K)

>Imagine how different BSG might have been had it been made 10 years later on Netflix.

>all 50k survivors would be non binary non hetero
>cylons commander would have orange head

Because it’s retarded to give up their technology and go back to the Stone Age or whatever
They’d need ships to do the intensive mining of Tylium that their civilization depends on
It’s stupid defending this as the safest way to avoid repeating their mistakes of creating and enslaving the Cylons is to remember having done them

the food stuff doesn’t really make sense desu I think they just sort of drop it
battlestars for whatever reason are capable of complete self-reliance for several years and probably have high storage capacity for food and perhaps they took on a lot of food supplies at Ragnar anchorage though it’s never said

>Makes a useful space station.
Useful for who though? With the amount of people from the fleet left over, and the lack of ships and resources they have, what could they have possibly done in space?
They didn't have the manpower or tools by that point to do any space mining or anything like that. They would have very quickly run out of tylium for jumps, and didn't have much of a fleet left to use for any long distance exploration.
I really don't see why it's suddenly a lot less dumb to just leave a useless ship in orbit that they wouldn't have really benefit from anyway

I have a hard time not fapping myself dry during the space battle scenes purely due to the great use of point defense.

>it’s retarded to give up their technology and go back to the Stone Age or whatever
That's exactly what they wanted to do though, they were tired of running and fighting.
Realistically what technology would they even be able to use? Some coffee machines and missiles? They didn't have the resources to rebuild a civilization like Caprica.
If the Earth as it stands now had some sort of catastrophe and everyone was killed except 35,000 - there's no way that population could just regrow and be at the same technological level it was before the event

The ship is a massive resource though. Try to think in terms of scarcity. You're at the end of the journey and you've got a rag-tag list of stuff that made it, which is non-optimal but at least you have some large items. Including a warship that, while having just taken the mother of all beatings, is in effect still in on piece; hasn't lost pressure; and is absolutely chock-full of useful stuff like electronic bits that would be IMPOSSIBLE to make for a very long time with the human race so reduced. Computer technology is the result of massive cooperation and wealth and laboratory efficiency. These things cannot happen without a high level of sophistication in engineering and infrastructure.

As a space-faring civilization they would be more keenly aware of this, and how useful technology is, that people who live on the planet in a big safe atmosphere, oblivious to how fragile their lives are.

>If the Earth as it stands now had some sort of catastrophe and everyone was killed except 35,000 - there's no way that population could just regrow and be at the same technological level it was before the event
You should read pic related for some disaster kino written by one guy as opposed to a room full of dipshit tv writers.

Attached: seveneves.jpg (333x500, 28K)

Medical supplies, firearms and ammunition, metallurgy in general, farming equipment
I’m not saying that that wasn’t the intention the characters in the show but rather on thinking it over for a little bit it’s utterly retarded and dooming the survivors to a horrifically brutal and primitive existence that despite their suffering they are not used to

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-18-13h17m58s310.png (1280x720, 926K)

Felix was a traitorous POS

>Saul
His facial acting, if that's even a thing, after he lost his eye was fucking wonderful.

It's true though, if you go much below 40,000 people you don't have a sustainable population size, and the limited amount of technology they had left in the fleet by then would have likely depleted or failed within 50-100 years, by which point half that original population or more will have died of old age

Attached: Husker.webm (700x394, 2.99M)

40k sounds high; the human race has experienced massive genetic bottlenecks before. There's a reason all the races of man can breed with one another, and it's not because the first man walked out of Africa.

>Medical supplies
No source for this, but likely significantly depleted after many years without resupply. Would have only had limited capability to synthesise new drugs when on new Earth

>firearms and ammunition
That's just a terrible idea, people would only end up using them to kill each other and further reduce the size of the population and concentrate the power in the hands of the few

>metallurgy in general
Given how much of an achievement it was when Tyrol built the blackbird, and the fact they had to collaborate with half the fleet to build it, it's strongly implied they don't really have much industrial capability within the fleet other than the Tylium refinery, which is for ship fuel, not construction

>farming equipment
Why would they have farming equipment on a military warship and cobbled together civilian fleet out of surviving ships from the initial attack?
Cloud 9 was the only ship shown to actually have any flora on it, and it got btfo.
Only other reference to farming really was on the algae planet, and that's not farming, just foraging

>40k sounds high
It really isn't, especially when a lot of that population is probably already 30-60 years old.
Do a bit of research, it's general consensus you need around that number to start a successful colony on another planet.
40,000 people is about the size of a small town.
It's also very different to compare the population needed to survive full stop, to the size of a population needed to rebuild an advanced civilization with just a few advanced tools left lying around

these are all such retarded points I’m wondering if you’re just arguing for the sake of it

Wow you really convinced me that i'm wrong with that insightful rhetoric

you’re saying that firearms have no use to them
that the fleet didn’t have the capacity to forge metal
that they couldn’t create farm equipment
that they were incapable of creating more medicine and hospital equipment

>Do a bit of research, it's general consensus you need around that number to start a successful colony on another planet.
Yeah, a number reached by consensus. I maintain that it's a tad high. What matters is how fast you can grow the population, and how you ensure critical skills are not lost when you don't have enough humans to fill all the disciplines. Having a library and a smaller group of people who enjoy busting ass is I think a viable path forward for colonists. With 40k you can afford to be a little sloppy in who you select to go. 4ok leaves room for errors; 5k means you need a team of the best of mankind, and commensurate technology to support the mission.

Granted I know nothing, I'm just a clever guy.

Attached: elon blunt.png (1008x709, 661K)

>you’re saying that firearms have no use to them
What would they be useful for? Shooting the stick-wielding natives?

>That the fleet didn’t have the capacity to forge metal

It's probable that they were able to cobble something together, but you seem to be forgetting most of the ships in the fleet were just random transports and stuff. You don't need advanced technology to forge metal, all the tools to do that they could have made on Earth anyway. There's never any suggestion they have significant industrial capability in the fleet.

>That they couldn’t create farm equipment
But that's exactly why I said it was fine to fly the fleet into the sun, they could have just made their own farming equipment out of what they had on Earth. Why would they have made farming equipment when they were in space with nothing to farm?

>That they were incapable of creating more medicine and hospital equipment
Actually yes, that's pretty much exactly what i'm saying. As I recall they only had about two doctors in the entire fleet - it would have been very hard to preserve the knowledge and expertise required to continue to synthesise new drugs and mass produce them, especially when they moved down to settle permanently on Earth.

I'm not really saying any of those points are impossible as such, more that they just couldn't be done on a scale that would have been particularly beneficial to such a small population in the long-term

I don't remember too much about the series but I know that I loved Gaius, Felix, and Cottle. I remember hating Roslin.

Yes, yes...
But what was his tax policy?

Attached: cd130b2f23be4cb39b17647549a26f29.jpg (503x640, 97K)

>Actually yes, that's pretty much exactly what i'm saying. As I recall they only had about two doctors in the entire fleet - it would have been very hard to preserve the knowledge and expertise required to continue to synthesise new drugs and mass produce them
Books printed on acid-free paper are pretty good for this.

Attached: 1544073982420.png (645x729, 105K)

Thanks, Mr Science Guy!
No fucking way could you start a successful colony on another world without some crazy reproductive and life extending technology with only 5,000 people.

>Books printed on acid-free paper are pretty good for this.
Oh, i'm sorry, I forgot about the complete colonial library and printing press which was such a regular feature on the show

Why exactly? Because single-child households aren't viable in space? No shit? How about you explain how you feed 40,000 people on a planet with no atmosphere.

Any colonizing effort by humanity is likely to be an ongoing affair, and will start with a small number of people going to lay the groundwork. Assuming Earth keeps putting people into space, immigration will drive the population long before baby-making comes into play. I'm talking about colonizing Mars because Mars is really the only option in town right now. Colonizing the solar system might be a possibility, if we don't go extinct before Mars is self-sustaining. Colonizing other solar systems will probably be the work of robots and whatever comes after humanity.

Honestly, it's not that great of a show, and they basically just made a "gritty" drama set against a sci-fi backdrop.
Most people are such fucking queens that drama injected into anything will make it watchable to them.

The characters in this range from anniying, to moronically vapid, to just fucking obnoxious, the plot is rather simple and stupid, the ending is a copout. I could go on.
But you just can't wait to see what happens next right? Because those unbearable assholes might do or say something dramatic (or sleazy, or idiotic). Amirite? What a great show...

Fucking trash.

>I'm talking about colonizing Mars because Mars is really the only option in town right now.
This debate started in the context of how it goes down in BSG, where a bunch of randoms get dumped on a planet where they are on their own.
I wasn't talking generally how you'd do it, and i'm sorry if I ever gave that impression.
But even in general terms, 5,000 is not a population big enough to grow unless you have constant transport to the homeworld.

>t. zoomer

How about hunting? The planet was full of megafauna at this time
The “stick-wielding” natives have been fighting and hunting their whole lives versus some malnourished space dwellers who probably haven’t even had exercise in years trying to live a primitive lifestyle they’re not used to in a wild environment they’re not used to

>But even in general terms, 5,000 is not a population big enough to grow unless you have constant transport to the homeworld.
In terms of how people conduct their reproductive lives right now, yes. Not so for a group that understands math. If we're going to make a crew of 5k and has to sustain itself with no immigration, then it needs to be majority women. They need to be fairly young so they will be able to have multiple pregnancies before menopause. You need some men to run the show; they're not going to be responsible for repopulating the human race, but they're chads so they're going to fuck anyway. Repopulation will be handled in a lab. I imagine by that point the human race will have an archive of genetic material and manipulation technology capable of creating genetic diversity in vitro. These 4k or so women will be responsible for populating their colony, when they're not doing extremely difficult and specialized work 12 hours a day as colonists will. Probably they will stagger pregnancies and everything will be scheduled. No romance here; these people came with a mission, not to neck in the woods.

>I imagine by that point the human race will have an archive of genetic material and manipulation technology capable of creating genetic diversity in vitro.
Well now you're just pulling shit out of thin-air with "what if?" scenarios

Dude I'm just acknowledging technological trends. This stuff is coming up around the corner.

In the terms of the show the smart thing would have been to stay in the savannah, make a nice village a fuck the native bitches.

>Dude I'm just acknowledging technological trends. This stuff is coming up around the corner.
Yeah but you could literally come up with any scenario by looking at it that way, you could say there would be a 0% mortality rate because diseases are all cured instantly by nanobots, that you can grow adult clones, that you have fusion reactors.
If you apply your logic to it, pretty much anything is possible.
In the context of the show none of that is possible, in the context of even considering the next 50 years in reality, none of that is likely to be possible.
There's nothing remotely helpful about theorising based on various factors which haven't even happened yet and aren't even particularly close to happening.

>How about hunting?
Ok so you can hunt for a month or so using guns, then you run out of ammunition and have to learn to hunt using traditional methods anyway, wow so helpful.
Also to be fair there's nothing to say they didn't bring down guns on the raptors anyway and still fly the flee into the sun.

>is triple parenthesis: the person
>evil sue
>did nothing wrong
Nice bait

>triple parenthesis: the person
explain

Baltar did nothing wrong

QxR just released this. Do I download? Is it worth the time investment?

That moment was really great
youtu.be/5XysLvdc4sI?t=184

>drums intensifies

Attached: BSG - Saving Galactica.webm (640x360, 1.56M)

vimeo.com/51466779
The buildup at the end of the previous episode was the best bit about that imo, where it cuts at the end to show pegasus and Galactica turning broadside to each other and launching vipers/aiming their batteries at one another.

Tbf all the standoffs in the series are great, the Eye of Jupiter one where Adama arms all the nukes is kino too

youtube.com/watch?v=jCI6wS1_7tM

i lost faith in TV when farscape was canceled. took me years to get around to watching the tv move that "wraps" up the show.

Did they ever use those nukes for anything? I remember him giving the order to arm all nuclear weapons during the nebula season 3 finale but you never see them use it as far as I know