Was it kino?

Was it kino?

Attached: you-were-never-really-here-1520604451-compressed.jpg (620x620, 86K)

Yeah it really was, but Yea Forums will hate it cos it is based Phoenix smashing cunny-posters heads in for 2 hours.

i dont really get the hype and critical acclaim though. yeah its a stellar performance from the lead but thats about it. they turned a book with some nice twists and turns and made it into a super generic "anti-hero good guy falls in love with his damsel in distress" shit.

Yes. Best movie of 2018

>super generic "anti-hero good guy falls in love with his damsel in distress" shit.
what the fuck are you talking about? did you see a different movie?

my friend hated it but i thought it was pretty good. ending was super weird which might make it worth a rewatch

Not sure if it was kino, but it was a good movie.
Joaquin does an excellent job with the character.
I thought the whole lake scene to be a bit much.
And Drive still does the whole "violent anti-social man tries to save innocents" thing better.

After this and We Need To Talk to Kevin, I'm looking forward to Lynne Ramsay's next film.

holy shit I just recently watched this and I couldn't remember a single thing about it.

explain why its not

maybe explain why it fucking is? your post doesn't even make sense and there's no criticism of any substance
>falls in love with his damsel in distress
what? which movie are we talking about?

instead of dropping her off after completing his mission he goes on a roadtrip into the sunset with her. milkshakes and all. because the audience needs a sweet happy end. thats pretty generic.

he doesn't fall in love with her you pleb she is underaged and that is his thing, killing pedos. He can't drop her off as he tried that once and she got recaptured because powerful men want her under guard so they can abuse her. Her dad (who likely abused her too) is also dead now for trying to take her out of the pedo ring.

Who would she go to? If she goes to an aunt or something, they'll find her and kill her aunt and maybe her so she doesn't blab about all the other politicians who raped her.

She is on the run you fucking goober.

No, the user you were replying to, but
What the fuck should he have done?
He lost his mother; the kid's family was responsible for her situation.
They are two lost souls with nothing but each other.
Nothing about that ending said romantic to me

as i said - generic. have you read the book? its largely about how he doesnt feel shit and thats why he is so damn good at his job. the revenge he takes in the book is also not an outburst of grieve about his mothers death, its because he doesnt know what else to do and considers it an appropriate reaction. that would have made an interesting movie.

in the movie, hes just another conflicted good guy.

>as i said - generic
you also said romance, which is categorically not what the fucking film portrayed and is what three diferent anons have issue with.

They are on the run. Dead mum from suicide, dead dead cos he wanted out of the pedo ring, blood on her hands for killing the governer, knows all the politicians and businessmen in New York's dirty secrets. She has a target on her back. That's why Joe ran away with her, not cos he digs blondes.

>the revenge he takes in the book is also not an outburst of grieve about his mothers death, its because he doesnt know what else to do and considers it an appropriate reaction
I got the vibe that that's exactly what happened. Especially when he just starts singing with the guy who just killed his mom while they're both lying on the floor. He kills because that's what makes sense to him.

No. There's no reason to watch this when Taxi Driver (and many other similar, superior films) exists.

it was good pedo-killing kino

fine. lets say 'developed fatherly feelings' instead of 'falls in love'. its still generic.

>Taxi Driver
>Good film

I felt immensly satisfied by some of the pedos getting btfo'd in this film. Makes me wanna join the FBI so I can learn how to track down baddies and fuck em up. Comfy film, in the weirdest sort of way.

agreed.

Dishonest cinematography

no issue with your criticsm about generic, just how dumb your romance angle was.

Fatherly feelings are a bit of a stretch for a guy like Joe, but something approaching an imitation of fatherly feelings is probably right.

how so?

okay whatever. you obviously knew what I meant but decided to argue over semantics.

No. It wasn't. It was the most egregious example of discount arthouse, pretentious soulless shite. And pseuds who don't know better lapped it up because they can't tell the difference.
It was well shot. Everything else was average at best. Its worst offence was that every violent scene cut away like a pg-13 capeshit film, too scared to show you what happened. Except, in a film about a manchild killing pedos, it's not actually scared to show you. It's scared to fail as the director is notoriously terrible at directing action sequences.

joaquin phoenix is overrated to be honest

No

Some fat guy is sad and kills people for a living. Or maybe he's just a fixer.
Some politician's daughter gets kidnapped by a sex ring.
So the fat guy goes and saves her.
And then the baddies kill his mother. And then he gets sad and buries her in the sea.
And the girl gets kidnapped again. Or he failed to save her the first time.
So he gets her back. But she has to kill someone.
Then they're in a restaurant just chilling.

That's the entire story

mediocre indie with another solid performance from hairlip

The audio work was terrible. Everyone whispered almost inaudibly, and the music was always deafeningly loud.

Just curious, what is the ending of the book?

Based on the movie's final action sequence, I can only see it go 2 ways.

A) Ending as it was in the movie
B) Joaquin abandoning the girl (either at the rape room or on the roadside somewhere), and then continuing on with his pedo killing life or killing himself.

Maybe I've grown more optimistic with age, but ending A seems like the better one.
It teases the possibilities of character growth or falling farther down the hole of revenge.
Up to audience to decide which.
Ending B is just as generic and unnecessary edgy.

ah I remember now. this sucks. I mean c'mon it's always great to see joaquin pheonix but even he couldn't carry this film. man I gotta rewatch drive again. that was the only movie that was like this that I liked.

>generic
>literally watching for the plot
you can argue all you want about some element being le not original enough as if that matters one bit, when everything is in the execution.
as the film is actually executed, it is the polar opposite of generic.

pleb filter
a solid 7

>Taxi Driver
>not good
I know being a contrarian is the cool thing to do on 4channel but you're just embarassing yourself at this point.

life with under 100 IQ must be tough

no actually, I did not. When you said he had romantic feelings, you mean't it quite clear you thought Joe is attracted physically to the girl. That is what "falls in love with a damsel in distress" means. Not my fault you can't fucking explain yourself.

It is a massively overrated film user.

That doesn't mean that it isn't good.

So incredibly dull. Basically trying to do Taxi Driver but in a totally uncompelling way.
People here will praise it because it's about a vigilante loner anti-hero and they can self insert like Drive.

I liked it a lot. Among the best of the year for me.

Boring, inconsistent story.