Evil Dead II

Got into it expecting popcorn entertainment, ended up being completely blown away by this absolute masterpiece. What do you think about the film?

Attached: Evil Dead 2-dvdcover.jpg (750x1065, 255K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OYwMZs6eSqo
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9OCNaTLHE8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bumping for masterful cinematography.

Attached: f7fbc433d9bf9ce465d75a76e7cfd0f2.gif (540x289, 1.98M)

Unironically my favourite film.

God bless you user, great taste.

I prefer Evil Dead 1.

I just don't get it.

Reddit

It's one of the great horror comedies of all time, and a huge inspiration to me as a wannabe filmmaker.

youtu.be/OYwMZs6eSqo

Beautiful fuckin' clip, thanks for sharing this user.

Attached: 1554278565637.jpg (563x503, 21K)

One of mine too. I just grabbed it at random on vhs back in the day. I didn't expect my pants to be creamed

How is it so good? What makes it so brilliant? For me it's the atmosphere, the feeling of the whole area (the woods, the cabin, the car, the lighting). The camerawork is also beyond stunning.

To me the series goes 1> 2 > AoD

>tfw had my first sexual experience (fingering a girl) while watching this film
>can very clearly remember exactly when we stopped paying attention to it (after he puts the cross in the ground)
>can very clearly remember when I started watching again ("FOR GOD'S SAKE, HOW DO YOU STOP IT?!")
That was about a month ago now.

Fuck, maybe I actually need to watch High Fidelity.

It's the camerawork and sound for me. Haven't watched it in a while but I still remember random shots like the camera moving sporadically around a wooden beam with weird creaking noise.
One of my favourite shots is Ash at the destroyed bridge when the camera spins round him and there's a huge blood red moon behind him.

Funnily enough my first boob action happened while watching High Fidelity.

The moon shot is one of the most kino moments I've ever seen in my life. Can't find it on youtube but here's a still.

Attached: DpMJYjLXUAAr_hB.jpg (1200x645, 49K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Q9OCNaTLHE8

The camerawork is a huge part of it, but for me it's the sheer fucking PACE of it all. I hadn't thought about this until I listened to a podcast on it, but think about just how much happens in like the first 5-10 minutes of this fuckin' thing. They cover the whole first movie (an abridged version, of course), Ash wakes up as a deadite, turns BACK into a human, tries to leave, sees that the bridge is out, SUDDENLY IT'S FUCKING NIGHT TIME AGAIN, an evil spirit chases him back to the cabin, and he crashes the fucking car. And that's just...like, an afterthought. That's a whole fucking movie's worth of shit in like 10-15 minutes.

And it KEEPS. FUCKING. GOING.

Gorgeous, thanks for the share user. Truly fantastic.

Attached: tenor.gif (498x250, 903K)

Very true, it's an insanely wild ride full of events all packed into just 1 hour and 20 minutes. The ridiculous pace is a huge part of the fun, no doubt.

Glorious.

My favourite part is when Ash is losing his mind. He hears the creeking/gnawing and then silence... the deer head turns to him and everything starts laughing. So many scenes just stayed in my memory. Not a lot of films do that.
House 2 had a similar vibe.

top 3 of all time for me. pure brilliance. horror comedy is a shit genre, because motherfuckers think the way to do it is to make a comedy movie in a horror setting or have horror shit going on with comedic breaks. In EDII the horror is the comedy. That's what makes it so brilliant, and it's why I think Army of Darkness, despite being a good movie, is far inferior. I can't think of another horror comedy that got it as right as EDII.

>pic related
Nice assessment, agreed.

Attached: 129925-bigthumbnail.jpg (450x311, 22K)

I still don't get it

It's not funny, and it's not as horrific as the first film

The cast are even flatter and less characterful than the first movie, the Linda stuff is miserably short, the unseen force is less pervasive than the first film and there's a very limited amount of actual deadites present.

I just don't get it

Fuck it, I'm going to watch it again now that I've got half a bottle of wine in me

I feel the flying vampire in the end is one of the worst special effects I've ever seen and I dont get how it got used

That's the spirit user, have fun!

Finish it off and have fun, user

absolute kino but the whole trilogy is

Attached: evildeadtrilogy.gif (800x460, 238K)

For me, it's Bobby Joe.

Attached: bobby joe.jpg (259x194, 5K)

I think it may be the most-overrated Horror movie of all time.

Keep this thread open until I've finished it bitches

>Linda going from human to Deadite to just plain dead takes less than a minute

BOBBY JOE

raimi kino, what else is there to say ?

Try this one if you haven't seen it

Attached: Reanimator.jpg (400x588, 89K)

pure kino

don't worry, user. it's just a bunch of Redditors and 14 year olds. they are the same fags who prefer Terminator 2 over 1 and Aliens over Alien.
Evil Dead 1 is far superior to 2 and Army of Darkness.

I highly recommend reading this because Bruce gets into how incredibly autistic Raimi was about the camerawork. He'd sit there getting into all this technical shit with the cameramen instead of just saying "I want it to look like that make it look like that".

Attached: bruce.jpg (327x499, 30K)

yes it goes like this
book>movie>sequel>second sequel
always

DEAD BY DAWN! DEAD BY DAWN! That chanting and the old lady deadite under the stairs scared the shit out of me when I first saw this movie.

Masterpiece

I prefer the original but still well worth a (you)

Based Raimi, his autistic ways always produce Gold.

Every single slice of the cinematic Evil Dead pie is great.
From Within the Woods to Season of Ash Vs. Evil Dead. Even the remake is pretty good.

You guys have convinced me to watch Evil Dead 1. I've seen 2 and 3 but never the first, time to go give it a watch. It seems like it's more serious than the sequels, based on your guys' opinions.

It's a better film

1 > 2 > 3

Now if you want popcorn entertainment watch Ash vs. Evil dead.

Attached: fe330b3e-e2dd-41d1-86fc-e9e6ab94b03c.jpg (1800x1200, 959K)

I was blown away when I first saw it, back in the nineties.

In 2000 I called my first girlfriend for the first time 20mins before this film started on tv and ended up talking to her for hours and missing it.

BOBBY JOOOOEE

What's anons' take on it? How does it compare? I know nothing about the series.

>mfw we will never get to see an uncut version of Evil Dead 2 because some dumbass destroyed most of the cut footage

Just like Event Horizon.

Attached: Carl kill me.jpg (384x288, 24K)

WE GOTTA GO FIND HER

Best Raimi movie next to Crimewave

Whoever said the 1st is better than the 2nd is insane. Evil Dead II is MOUNTAINS above the first one. Not even the same league.

it's easily 100x better than AoD

It's lame.

Anyone looking for a similar watch should check out Dead Alive, early Peter Jackson at his horror comedy peak. The acting is cheesy as hell and there are buckets of red corn syrup, gotta love it.

Attached: giphy.gif (320x240, 2.62M)

It's ok, 3 is better

reddit

Just finished watching 2 then 1, having watched 3 first in the past. For me 2 towers above all with 1 and 3 coming up on the same level of quality although for very, very different reasons.

I'll give it a go user, thanks.

Evil Dead 2 is arguably one of the top 3 horror movies ever.
Braindead is better than Evil Dead II but only just.

I have a signed copy of this book. You fags jelly?

Don't forget the Kung Fu Priest

Attached: kungfupriest.jpg (500x180, 18K)

Same. The first is superior in every way. The second is for s0iboys.

How? Why? I don't get this take but I'd love to explore your thoughts and reasons, please do go on user.

Why? I also enjoy the first one more, but they're really different movies. Totally different tones throughout. I guess I like the first one more because the horror aspect is pretty fucking complete. You really feel the dread and the insanity working through you in the first one, looked up in a fucking cabin with no way of escaping. Real fucking effective. I like the second too, but I saw them back to back, and I feel the second one is more of an re-imagining with the absurdity and humor dialed up a bunch of notches. Still good, but going for a different approach that I don't feel is as effective at hitting its mark as the first one.

Attached: Hellfraiser.jpg (540x558, 70K)

Evil Dead 2 isn’t a horror movie.

One is more serious and spooky. Two is retarded and way too over the top. I want to watch a horror movie not a slapstick comedy.

They'll never make movies like this ever again thanks to 9/11.

The first is as excellent as the second one in setting the mood and in the overall audio/visual department. Yet, in my view, the second one builds on the already unique and outstanding camerawork of the first one and takes it to incredible new heights. While the first takes itself more seriously, the second one is a go for broke approach that just has no stops - anything is possible and the plot events come shooting at you at full speed one after the other. The humor, as a result, is also turned up to 11 but in a very natural way (as I said before, it's a natural side-effect of Raimi's choices and not an effort to put in jokes, etc...making it feel much more enjoyable and true). The more surreal and dreamlike aspects of the first one are also further fleshed out on the second, starting with the simple but powerful shots such as the famous "sundown" seen in this thread and resuming all throughout the film which builds an unforgettable atmosphere. I could go on but these are my main points - also bonus points for Ash as I also feel it's a more hands-off, all is fair take on him (he doesn't need to react as realistically as he did in the first one) which makes him more interesting and charismatic. It's also super comfy for me, can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe the woods, that cabin, the solitude. Beautiful.

Attached: og0onjHV91unk6jxo2_250.gif (245x245, 1.29M)

It's just different, can't you appreciate the madness and silliness? Not everything has to be serious and realistic user, Raimi just decided to go wild with strange but very memorable results. Both are top quality kinos.

Fuck me, man, now I gotta go rewatch it. Like a deus ex thread up in here if you feel me. Great points man, well put

I know exactly what you mean, feels like home. Overjoyed that you're going to watch it again. Have fun user, you deserve it.

You also can't overlook how great Campbell is as an actor. In the first film he's made to be very much an Everyman dork. Which given his later performance isn't how his acting ability could be optimized. Watch the initial dinner scene in the first when he stands to give a toast, "A great friend of mine once said.... Uhh..uhh..uh" he's made to be meek, and doesn't really grow out of that. He has limited development. But in the second he's really used to his fullest, from the charming but bumbling idiot that tells Linda to give him some sugar, to a chainsaw wielding badass in the span of the first 40 minutes. The second one has massive character development that doesn't feel particularly forced. Plus Campbell should have been born in the 20's the man is great with slapstick physical humor, one of the best scenes is when he has Linda's head attached to his hand, as he's stumbling out of the cabin he falls off the stairs and trips like a complete dumbass, he's very much in control of his physical presence throughout. Rewatch the hand possession in the kitchen. It's brilliant. Campbell is really phenomenal.

>So many scenes just stayed in my memory
"We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw. Does that sound alright to you?"

I've probably read this book more times than any other. Bruce is absolutely hilarious.