Eyes Wide Shut or Barry Lyndon

which is his best?

Attached: stanley_kubrick.jpg (230x277, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=exHvm8yXndQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

barry lyndon is the only movie of his i've ever watched that didn't feel like LOOK AT ME!!! I AM DIRECTING! BWALABWLBWLAAAAAA I AM SO CRAZY GIVE ME OSCAR

unironically 2001

Probably BL, but I enjoy EWS more.

Barry Lyndon, which is the greatest film of all time
Are you kidding? Barry Lyndon is my favourite film but those slow zooms and deliberate camera movements are the epitome of "look at me I'm directing!"

1. Barry Lyndon
2. EWS
3. 2001

i feel like Shining and Clockwork are quite overrated. haven't visited them in a while though - does anyone feel the same way?

2001 is objectively his magnum opus, but Barry Lyndon is so far superior to EWS it's not even a fucking debate.

AI

S tier: 2001, clockwork orange, Barry Lyndon, shining
A tier: Spartacus, dr Strangelove, paths of glory
B tier: full metal jacket
C tier: Lolita
D tier: eyes wide shut
Who cares tier: the rest

Attached: 5C34ABDD-7E42-480C-A5F1-EA3E99F8E219.jpg (600x604, 32K)

They are alright but nothing great.

Clockwork orange is my favorite of all his films. There is NOT 1 (ONE) scene that isn’t memorable to me.

i feel like the shining was trying to imitate eraserhead but couldn't quite achieve that claustrophobic manic energy that lynch can

>ignoring The Killing
Cringe

Lyndon

I prefer Jewish Bullshit 3: Plausible Deniability.

i liked it. i didn't love it and i don't think it was as good as 2001 personally. maybe i have to just rewatch it again

Does anyone else feel like Spartacus just doesn’t fit with the other Kubrick movies? All the others have these surreal and artsy qualities, but Spartacus just feels so typical of early 60s Hollywood.
Still love the movie though

He had no control over the script and was brought because Douglas had falling out with Mann.

He took over the film from another director at Kirk Douglas' request, if I remember right. Not sure of how much control Kubrick had over the script and the rest of the shoot.

So yeah, it's a typical 60s movie that Kubrick did for fame and a paychec so he could have enough clout to do his own movies.

>My father and his wife kinda pushed to watch eyes wide shut with my when i was a teen. And afterwards attentively asked what i thought of the movie.

what did they mean by this?

Based parents subtly redpilling their son about the jews at a young age

Why would he try to imitate such a shit movie and shit director?

It's his favourite film ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=exHvm8yXndQ

2001 is one of the most technically impressive films in the history of cinema.

Why didn't he just shave his whole head bald?

Utter slow crap. Fuck off already, would you?

2001 has a really good middle, but the beginning and end are “le super deep artsy” and/or snoozefest.
Clockwork orange is consistently good the whole movie

Retarded ADHD zoomer

>t. never saw Paths of Glory

Agreed. I'd even throw Strangelove in there. It has its moments, but overall I find it pretty bland.

I prefer Lyndon over EWS.

Clock, shin,barry lin, lolita all bloody great works if I might dare share my worthless opinion anonymously

this. i love aco, but i do feel that 2001 and the shining are pretty overrated

White man's burden, Lloyd. White man's burden.

Barry Lyndon touched my soul at 14 (inb4 I’m 15) and I have yet to find a better movie. A few as good/near as good, but not better, imho

I like you.

>I love /aco/
Based

Paths of Glory is his best film by far, fucking plebs

Lolita is his best, Eyes Wide Shut is a close second

Last weekend I watched Eyes Wide Shut because /x/ doesn't stop talking about it all the time with the Epstein-Clinton bullshit. It's the weirdest movie I've ever seen. It's like something's out of place but I have no idea what it is. I cannot pin point exactly what, but all the movie is so fucking weirdly composed. The moments when Hardford imagines his wife with the naval officer, the way it is filmed is so strange that it seems deliberately done on purpose as something bad done. And the last scene...

>Fuck.

Like it's a lie. Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, fictions within a work of fiction. A montage in itself, within another montage. Like a psychotic episode when you hear your inner voices speaking with the tones falsified on purpose.

I've never felt this way about a movie before. It's like a bitter drink. And then you look inside the cup and it's blood.

Attached: 1564083093535.jpg (556x702, 125K)

Cuck or chad?

Attached: maxresdefault(2).jpg (1280x720, 154K)

>Like it's a lie. Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, fictions within a work of fiction. A montage in itself, within another montage. Like a psychotic episode when you hear your inner voices speaking with the tones falsified on purpose.

Not a lie, more like a dream, or a nightmare depending. The Shining is a nightmare put on film, EWS is more ambiguous (more sophisticated) with the audience. It crosses lines between real and surreal constantly.

BL is full of moments like these. His earlier movies seem more "mature" because he had less creative freedom and EWS was when he finally came back to that more subdued style of his own free will.

Cool post, if you're interested in movies like this watch Inland Empire. It's exactly what you've described but a hundred times weirder

I think I understand what you mean. Does Kubrick play with cinematography, the suspension of credibility and the concept of dreams? I swear I think that using Cruise and Kidman in the film is like a kind of rupture of the fourth wall.

The only thing I've seen from that movie is the scene where a woman slowly walks towards the camera. It's really the most uncomfortable thing I've ever seen.
But it is as if Lynch and the other great directors only move towards new abstractions and leave the audience behind and therefore their messages do not reach the public well, but only a handful of people. This irritates me for some reason.

>But it is as if Lynch and the other great directors only move towards new abstractions and leave the audience behind and therefore their messages do not reach the public well, but only a handful of people. This irritates me for some reason.
I agree to an extent

Attached: Phantom_death_1.jpg (1366x768, 126K)

>which is his best?
EWS because it's the result of all his life as a master craftsmen.
One can find almost everything that Kubrick has learnt about cinema in EWS. Its pretty crazy to think that this was his last movie. It's like an ultimate "bow down you shits", it really is super masterful on so many levels, from script to production to the genius casting, even the sound design is flawless. That fucking piano...The level of craft is crazy in EWS, and the film is deadly adult and mature, this isn't an oscar seeker at all, this is not for the academy.
I find EWS to be very underrated as a piece of cinema.

>LOOK AT ME!!! I AM DIRECTING!
Barry Lyndon is literally this. He filmed significant portions of the movie by candlelight with film and used all kind of unorthodox lenses and strange camera movements.

The Shining is my favorite but 2001 is his best

>hurr if he tries to go outside conventional techniques, it’s bad
Actual retards

No one said that

They're great movies and great introductions to Kubrick's filmography but yeah they're nowhere near Barry Lyndon

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is my favorite Kubrick

Attached: the-killing-of-a-sacred-deer-trailer.png (1440x728, 1011K)

>Does Kubrick play with cinematography, the suspension of credibility and the concept of dreams? I swear I think that using Cruise and Kidman in the film is like a kind of rupture of the fourth wall.

Kubrick was deeply interested in the purest forms of cinema, he pushed frontiers with 2001 notably. 45 minutes without a line of dialogue in the early 60's was not common at all. Not to mention the last reel. Kubrick always was very keen on experimenting and pushing narrative through cinematographic grammar. So yes he does play with these notions, and on a script level he also likes to toy with elliptic themes, motives repeating themselves. Like say the duels in BL, or the various encounters of Dr Bill with females in EWS. Same event, different dramas.

Now EWS is singular in that it's almost lynchyan imo, it's pretty out there when it comes to surreal vs real. But I invite you to pay attention next time you watch it, and simply look at the dream angle. You will find in the story itself that dreams and fantasies are absolutely sitting first row, right in front of you. They are mentioned and do happen on screen too. Dream and sex are the pillars of EWS. In other words EWS is in part about fantasy, sexual temptations and/or desires, and how the married protagonists chose to cope to these challenges in a cold modern world. The movie is a dream vignette of sorts that sometimes depicts nightmarish possibilities, a modern mature sophisticated fable. Naked Kidman is the cherry on top really.

Sounds like Kubrick was just trolling

>LOOK AT ME!!! I AM DIRECTING! BWALABWLBWLAAAAAA I AM SO CRAZY GIVE ME OSCAR
Literally the sign of a good editor

>The dream angle

That would be interesting with this scene.

Attached: mask.jpg (480x360, 73K)

that scene is so fucking genius. The avalanche of questions it instantly poses to the audience and to the characters is phenomenal.

kys faggot

Attached: 1432724756686s.jpg (250x241, 7K)

I really love Clockwork, I think he reached cinematic highs in that one. Zoomers now take it for granted or can't appreciate it but it was a big movie for me and certainly one of a kind.