Why did First Man flop? Damien Chazelle had released two megahit movies and it seemed nothing could stop him...

Why did First Man flop? Damien Chazelle had released two megahit movies and it seemed nothing could stop him. I wanted to enjoy this movie but it was very rough, and it didn't invoke the same emotions La La Land or Whiplash did

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9HQfauGJaTs
youtube.com/watch?v=XtnIfu1qkoM
youtube.com/watch?v=_H20GUvUfl4
youtube.com/watch?v=g9gDpSajPl4
apolloinrealtime.org/11/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

in b4 'jews'

Dumb americans crying that it didnt have enough fuck yeah america moments, even though the movie was more about Armstrong's life and character than anything

the moon landing has been beaten to death and quite frankly it's been so long that most people aren't interested

Because it was pro family, pro white, pro american and pro success

Twitter gains nothing from pushing a film like this.

Attached: first.man.2018.proper.1080p.bluray.x264-drones.mkv_snapshot_02.07.05_.jpg (1920x1080, 1.31M)

that's because it's a hoax. most people (60%) believe so

Because space is dumb and nobody gives a fuck.

>Why did First Man flop?
Because that's not what they want to promote these days.

Attached: HIdden-Figures-poster-Use.jpg (450x679, 71K)

did this really happen?
youtube.com/watch?v=9HQfauGJaTs

Most Americans believe angels literally walk among them.
It could be that they're right, or it could be that the majority of Americans are idiots.

Ryan Gosling plays the same character in every movie. Audiences are tired of his schtick. Also, Damien Chazelle is no Christopher Nolan, meaning he’s not a household name—Whiplash was hardly a smash hit, albeit a critical success of course, and La La Land made money because it was a musical starring Emma Stone.

It also doesn’t help that First Man shut down any possible patriotic appraisals for the film, in turn alienating an entire market—Clint Eastwood’s American Sniper this film was not.

Attached: FFF725B5-DE12-4351-9818-82A8CADCF4D9.jpg (750x960, 90K)

The character he played in The Nice Guys really was the same character as the one he played in Drive.

Reminder that this is Review Screw

Attached: twitter reddit literal who videogame crossposter.jpg (1496x894, 617K)

unironically this

This whole segment is kino
youtube.com/watch?v=XtnIfu1qkoM

I feel like this film was massively snubbed

They successfully convinced me and many others that it wasn't pro America.
So we didn't see it.
The moon landing scene is one of the greatest scenes in film though.
I'm a Boomer patriotic white guy.

Attached: Capture+_2019-07-31-07-14-31.png (981x475, 133K)

This. They smeared the film and right wingers that fell for the identity politics thought it was too leftist, while lefties thought it was too right wing.
What a fucking shame. The effects, soundtrack, actors, everything was really stellar.

Yes to all.

Attached: 1553820502326.png (3513x1109, 2.85M)

they cut out the gay sex scenes

>Why did First Man flop?
American's don't give no shit about all that science and fancy numbers bullshit no more.

I seriously hope that going to the moon wasn't as depressing as depicted in this flick.

Because it was a doc about how Kubrick faked the moon landing and the sane part of the public know the truth

Because you can’t travel to space as the radiation will kill you so we’ve never been to the moon because the radiation would kill anyone that tried to get there

Whitey in da moon wher muh reperatuons mmhhm whitey on da moon

Not showing the flag planting when they had apple enough time to do so

Yeah I thinking this movie was left

Have you got a single piece of evidence to back that up?

>Whitey in da moon wher muh reperatuons mmhhm whitey on da moon
Somne people felt that way. What's the problem?
>Not showing the flag planting when they had apple enough time to do so
It literally wouldn't have added anything to the film

Van Allen belts are highly concentrated radiation and the only defence they had was tinfoil so they faked the moon landing to pretend they were superior to Russia in space

>WHITEY GOING TO THE MOON, BAKA SHOULD BE PAYING FOR MY WELFARE INSTEAD

Attached: somewomenareprotestingwhilewaitingforthelaunchofapollo11pictureid1522099561.jpg (612x409, 64K)

just imagine what america could've accomplished if it hadn't spent the last 50 years babysitting retarded blacks and browns

>Whitey in da moon wher muh reperatuons mmhhm whitey on da moon
>missing the point this hard

They cut from blacks and lefties whining to white men getting shit done, the problem is that brainlets like yourself are too dense to understand the films messages and themes, which are essentially focused around family, ambition, and excellence. It's about what man can achieve when he sets his mind to it, the film is fundamentally right wing.

this is the sad truth
In 1994 Apollo 13 was nominated to a shitton of Oscars, as it was ok to be proud of these things then. Nowadays it’s shunned, so a movie celebrating American excellence will go unnoticed.

So let me get this straight, NASA built a rocket large enough to go beyond Earth's orbit, spent 6 years developing docking and space rendezvous technology in order to land on the moon, did four separate missions to test the technology that would be used to land on the moon but later they hired a Hollywood director to film fixed camera footage of astronauts jumping around and gathering rocks in six different "fake" landings?

How did the camera guy get off the moon?

Attached: 1498137982183.png (741x609, 16K)

Flag not being planted, pissed off right wingers

The flag is in the film

Attached: first.man.2018.proper.1080p.bluray.x264-drones.mkv_snapshot_02.06.59_.jpg (1920x1080, 654K)

To be fair Damien did most of the “smearing” himself

It was actually Goose the one who fucked up by saying it was intentional in order to make it a human achievement rather than an American achievement even though the rest of the movie is filled with American flags everywhere

that was a false flag bait by the jews to convince conservatives and anyone proud of apollo not to go see this because it had too many white men doing great things. it didn't fit their narrative so they did their best to kill it. the flag was proven to be in the film weeks before it released but by that time the damage was done. the flag was literally on every piece of equipment because the film is very accurate to history.

Attached: apollo 11 launch.gif (480x270, 1.53M)

How fucking retarded do you have to be to think it's a hoax? I mean, pretty fucking retarded.

Nailed it. To be fair, the cast and crew didn’t do themselves any favors in their interviews.

Coincidentally, that’s exactly where I’d put the percentage of absolute retards.

Most boring ass flick of 2018

That and when goose said it was a movie for humanity and the moon landing was a world accomplishment.

>for humanity
Isn't that what Neil himself said when he first stepped on the moon

There wasn't enough white guilt, that's why it flopped

Which country has been to the moon I can't remeber

What's wrong with it? He's right.

Studio tampering tb h. The actual moon landing scene is laughably bad and so needlessly melodramatic. Soundtrack sucked as well. I propose it was studio tampering because if the two really great sequences that stand out from the rest: the opening scene with the experimental rocket plane and the agena spin. Everything else is contrived soap opera tier drama

no flaggy no watchee, get fucked fags

I enjoyed the film overall but as a massive lifelong spacefag I had a few issues with it. The launch scenes were over exagerated in terms of the vibrations. It looked like they threw the camera in a paint mixer. By the accounts of most of the Gemini vets who flew on Apollo, the Saturn V was a smoother ride than the Titan II GLV. Same with the Gemini 8 stuck thruster scene, what they showed was much greater than the 400 degrees per second they maxed out at before Armstrong called up the RCS. In addition the cabin of the LM was filthy during powered descent. That made no sense to me. The cabin would certianly be dirty after the EVA but would have been absolutly spotless before. Grumman didn't spend seven years building that thing only to deliver it to the cape with greasy fingerprints on everything.

this entire post is trash and i suspect you're retarded

He didn’t he’s still there

Yanks, nips and I think Pajeets are going for it now

THIS

Mate if you have a different opinion, that is completely acceptable however I am also entitled to my own. If you found the film to be adequate in terms of filmmaking then good for you but I didnt

humans? america.

probes landing? america, russia, china, pajeets soon maybe japs? i know they've had some orbiters. the jews tried recently but i think it crashed.

the soundtrack was one of the best parts of the film, as well as the sound design. your opinion sucks and should be called out as such.

Reminder that Breitbart was spreading lies about this movie's "anti-Americanism" before it's release.

It had good scenes, but god the editing in this movie sucks. Also, shots from the trailers weren't even in the movie.

Attached: Untitled.png (843x351, 477K)

>your opinion on subjective media is incorrect but my opinion on subjective media is correct
Not even that dude but fucking hell lad how smooth is your brain

Sound design was good, I agree but the soundtrack was uninspired and creatively bankrupt. The use of the theramin was far too indulgent

cause I don't give a fuck about the moon landing, booooooring.

Tidy your room.

They couldn't even show the raise of the American flag in an American mission where an American flag was raised. Fuck this movie.

You never even saw the actual flag planting that happened on the Moon, yet you demand that in the film?
I mean the very fact that you think they "raised" the flag instead of planting it says enough

The entire event of planting the flag is not famous at all, it's literally just Neil and mostly Buzz fumbling around for 10 minutes youtube.com/watch?v=_H20GUvUfl4

Back to r/the_donald with you.

Still should've shown it and not insist it was an accomplishment for the world. An American mission and achievement with an American flag and everyone knows it. But this shitty film changed it and not many saw.

The flag is in the film you dumb fuck no one "changed" anything

Attached: first.man.2018.proper.1080p.bluray.x264-drones_2.webm (1920x802, 2.96M)

it was pointless to the scene. the film was about neil and his life/experiences. the flag was there, but using 30 seconds to show them putting it up would have been pointless in the context.

bc claire foy is ugly as hell and no one could possibly believe that a chad like the goose would ever be married to an uggo like her even if it's just a fake movie marriage.

An iconic act that happens for only 30 seconds in an already long movie could have saved the box office. It deserves the backlash it got. The director, writer and main actor fucked up.

>An iconic act t
It's not iconic at all, 99% don't even know how it happened or saw rhe footage at all. Stepping on the Moon is iconic.
>that happens for only 30 seconds
Again wrong, it took them about 10 minutes, it was not a swift one motion plant. Have you even seen the footage?

You're never gonna trick me into seeing this traitor movie lmao.

pls be in london

I enjoyed it but the scene that makes me cringe is the whole black guy singing about the troubles in America but "whitey's on the moon". I get the whole segment about the country facing major social issues while NASA is trying to win the space race but it sounds so ridiculous. I don't even think blacks were thinking about the Apollo program since they were concerned with the Civil Rights movement. But the whole song sounds like leftist whining.

Attached: 1535408399974.jpg (745x672, 77K)

You don't know what you're talking about since it is iconic. All they needed was a quick scene where a flag is planted.

Instead, the cast and crew insulted the US and it's what caused this movie from appealing to its core demographic: boomers and patriots. Older people would've loved this movie. So much of why this movie failed at the box office is that instead of marketing it to the people who would pay to watch it they alienated them, and very few people saw it.

They fucked up and honestly deserve it.

I liked the bit where he throws his daughter's bracelet into a moon crater. That had some poetry. Other than that it was a pretty dull movie.

>All they needed was a quick scene where a flag is planted.
Nope, it's a film about Neil Armstrong

I saw it more as a film about bereavement, sacrifice and determination.

Well yes, Neil Armstrong was all of those things

Yes, about Neil and his struggle to deal with his daughter death.

Fun fact: the flag thing has caused a controversy inside NASA while planning the mission back in 1969. Some wanted the american flag, some the U.N. flag and some no flag at all.
It was the "no flag at all" solution that was finally decided...up until a few hours before the launch, when the decision changed again, and a U.S. flag was added to the LEM manifest.
Also, planting that flag wasn't easy, and it took several minutes for the astronauts to get it right.

>UN flag
Fuck that cuckoldry, not even American but they earned the right to plant their flag on the moon by getting there.

>you will never have a wife who will love you the way she did.

PS. I never knew Armstrong had a daughter who died. That pained me to see sick.

Attached: download.jpg (300x168, 5K)

Forgot to add that even the astronauts was against planting a flag. The one that was the most against it was...Neil Armstrong...
Not because of some un-patriotism or anything from Armstrong, but because, according to him, it would took unnesserary time out of the scientific mission time !
Michael Collins said later that he conviced Neil by saying that " it would show where American taxpayers money go ".

Yeah...sad story, really..
Another even less known sad story about those astronauts is the death of Buzz Aldrin mother.
According to him, she had a really hard time with her fear of losing her son in the scenario of something would go wrong with the mission.
That fear consumed her, up to the point of dying, Buzz said.

>Isn't that what Neil himself said when he first stepped on the moon
The difference is context.

maybe because gosling played a mostly like a wooden character when armstrong was actually a nice guy

Attached: 63439.jpg (1600x931, 801K)

wtf this movie was really kino and made you feel like you were in neil shoes in the best parts

one of the best movies ive seen, so if it flopped its because most americunts just want to suck black dicks

Would you know if he really did bring his daughters bracelet and left in on the moon? I hope its true. There's something genuinely lovely if he did.

It's been confirmed he brought something up with him, but no one but Niel knows what it was. The movie takes some creative license with the stories because of how secretive he was about his private life.

Well, the Astronauts had a private manifest, a list of objects they would embark with.
Can't remember Armstrong list of objects, but "bracelet" wasn't in it.
But some objects were categorized as "others", so...

youtube.com/watch?v=g9gDpSajPl4

Awesome site in real time :
apolloinrealtime.org/11/

Attached: 1541454208423.gif (700x488, 3.83M)

Like everyone else : By walking out the movie set exit.

Attached: killing joke-joker.jpg (477x477, 44K)

Some critic mentioned that there was no scene of the american flag being planted and many interpreted that as the flag being completely erased and being anti american. Gosling the did some interviews and talked about how it was an achievement for all humanity that "transcended countries and borders" and people i think had the wrong impression of the movie

Attached: 1540140112085.png (512x494, 205K)

Alot of them took or left things up there. Al Bean took C.C. Williams' astronaut wings to the surface in memorial and Gene Cernan carved his daughters initials into the soil. There were others but i can't think of them right now.

I forgot to add Al Shepard's golf balls but that doesn't count.