Why did this get less than average reviews?

why did this get less than average reviews?
I thought it was great and funny.

Attached: the_cable_guy.jpg (500x745, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o9mJ82x_l-E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

same honestly, and his little speech at the end about playing mortal kombat with japs and chinks across the world came to be a reality. based cable guy

>Jim Carrey movie in 96
>isn't out-and-out goofy slapstick comedy but comedy with an actual message and characters and emotion
It was just jarring, even with a cover like that you'd be forgiven for expecting it to be Ace Ventura with TVs instead of animals

too meta for its time
not like Last Action Hero that tried to deconstruct a genre that was very self-conciousin itself

Americans fear realism and the thought that some people don't make it.

this is an interesting question
Every few years you see a movie that gets a (genuine?) reputation for being "terrible" that seems to go beyond the bounds of reality.
Cable Guy is one. Spiderman 3 is another. Both fairly competent movies that are entertaining. Maybe not perfect but solid 6/10 movies. Maybe 7/10.
so why do they get this rep?
It's obvious in both cases it's a psyop. Powerful people use the press to demonize a particular film for reasons outside of its quality or BO performance.
I firmly believe the Cable Guy was psyop'd for two reasons: 1. It's about friendship, and "crossing the line" (i.e. it's about the limits that friendship can bring outside marriage) and 2. It shows someone stealing cable which is an idea executives despise.
In the case of Spider Man 3, it was demonized because of its heavily Catholic themes. That Raimi as a Jew promoted simple, decent Catholicism is the reason why he'll never be an A list director

I liked it, but what this user saidwhen it came out people were expecting a straight up comedy, as that's all Carrey had done up until that point.

The reason The Cable Guy is panned is because the villain of the movie was Television. The director realistically portrayed a loner shut-in who was raised by the TV. He's odd, aggressive and doesn't respond to social ques properly and ends up dying to the thing that made him the autist he was, Television. Considering how much Social Engineering was going on in the 90's (see Friends, Sex in the City, The Simpsons), the movie was a big no no.

wtf i hate this movie now too

it's too smart

Shut up you disgusting faggot foreigners, goddamn.

>The director realistically portrayed a loner shut-in who was raised by the TV
imagine if someone made a movie about some incel raised by Yea Forums! haha wouldnt that be funny!

Attached: 1365055750385.jpg (580x700, 101K)

yeah. this
thank you user

Ive noticed this pattern too. Like theres some aesops that the big shots just dont like and they will take the opportunity to raze less than stellar movies which contain them into the ground. I suspect this is why the critics were so harsh with Glass, because the message is practically anti-commie.

He did a pretty good Axl Rose impersonation in The Dead Pool way before that.

>Considering how much Social Engineering was going on in the 90's
1/1000 of what's going on now, tho.
Is anything else even going on now?

Oh yeah I forgot about that, he was only in a few scenes though wasn't he?

LAH was badly received when it came out.

the soundtrack was great, too.
youtube.com/watch?v=o9mJ82x_l-E

Yeah, I was mostly joking about that. Most people don't even know it's him when watching the movie.

just like me.

He didn't boogie

If Cable Guy was released in recent times it'd probably get a lot more praise.
When it was released as it was, the comedy was dark, and a lot of it easily makes people uncomfortable.

>tfw Janeane Garafalo

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (1024x576, 463K)

People give that quote a lot of credit for predicting the future but it wasn't really that insightful, the internet and online PC games were already becoming widespread by 1996.