Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Did anyone else find the ending of "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" to be an insult to what actually happened to Sharon Tate?

Attached: once-upon-a-time-margot-robbie.w700.h700.jpg (700x700, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

people.com/movies/sharon-tates-sister-wept-at-margot-robbies-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-portrayal/
youtube.com/watch?v=3e7wbs_xfas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sharon Tate's sister seemed to love it, so I'd say it's fine. Nobody else's opinion really matters outside her family.
people.com/movies/sharon-tates-sister-wept-at-margot-robbies-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-portrayal/

No, because I have zero personal investment in some roastie dying 60 years ago

Same, i expected more tension and a dramatic end rather than the comical alternative past we got.

what did roman polanski think of it

I'm curious too, can't find anything on that

So Tarantino stopped that 13 year old from getting raped right?

Attached: FBC86EC3-56C0-4F97-B676-ABA90796306B.png (350x350, 99K)

It felt like the movie's B plot tbqh
They were so outside of the orbit of Dalton and Cliff's world why were they even in the movie? I mean, we all know *why* they were in the movie because of meta reasons, but as far as the story goes they are just props.

that also crossed my mind

It probably got Dalton invited to some parties to get more movies

I didnt mean to say they should've focused on this event entirely, i was just disappointed by how they were explicitly covering Manson Family in the background just for a really comical anti-climatic end.Tarantino should've just left out instead of doing this.

i compared it to making a film where they stop the terrorists and 9/11 never happens.

killing hitler was one thing, but what happened to Tate was legit tragic and to re-do history with a happy ending just adds insult to injury that doesn't change what actually happened. it was a stupid what if scenario at best.

In some ways I get the outrage over the change to history but I honestly love what Tarantino did here regarding Sharon Tate. He gave her life again. She was a really talented and lovely actress but her whole being got tied to the murder. Seeing her in this film enjoy life, going to a movie, etc. It made her human again, a person free of the murders and the Manson family. It restored her legacy.

>killing hitler was one thing, but what happened to Tate was legit tragic

What, unlike what happened to the victims of the fascist death cult?

Ye, i agree.Were Sharon and the Manson family really necessary when they didnt have anything to do with the whole thing?

No, it's a fairy tale ending where Chad Pitt and Leo decimate the hippies that actually killed her.

but doesnt that just it all much sadder? that you see this film and then realize oh wait she was brutally murdered with her kid still in her.

seeing her enjoy a future she was never going to have just makes it more depressing and just weird that he'd choose to do what he did.

I need to sex this girl!!!!! God only knows how many men's cums are dripping down her thighs in this photo, such a big role doesn't come for free

>sister of a thot

If anyone's opinion matters least it's hers.

Can't risk making a statement without risking extradition.

Attached: 41a.jpg (618x618, 63K)

i enjoyed the ending thoroughly and being a brainlet didnt see it coming at all, i actually knew almost nothing about manson and thought the whole story was factual, that the main characters were murder victims too and they were all gonna die, expectations thoroughly subverted

It’s a movie. Sharon Tate and her unborn child were stabbed to death. That’s her legacy.

they could have easily paid sharon tate's sister to say positive things about the movie, so that it could give good press. you are very gullible to believe whatever is put in front of you.

100% agreed.
Dalton and Cliff's Spaghetti adventures in Rome would have been much more entertaining and in tone with the first third. Instead, we got what felt like a three stooges meets grindhouse ending that felt utterly bizzare relative to the first two thirds.
But hey, something tells me this film was not made for us anyways.

>It felt like the movie's B plot tbqh
it was. the movie is about the death of old hollywood and facing your own personal inevitable decline into irrelevance when the next generation comes along. the tate murders mostly play into that because they were considered to be the turning point, when the last of the classical grandeur and mystique that surrounded films and movie stars (which don't even exist anymore) literally died.

read what she had to say about her sister's portrayal:

"I’m not going to tell anybody that has done such a wonderful job, and a respectful job at honoring a particular situation, that they have to do my version of a story. Although I really wish he would’ve.”

>Although I really wish he would’ve.

that to me says shes not a fan of the ending and reinforces OP's point

fuck off pajeet

yeah. the scenes that stand out the most after watching were the ones of Margot Robbie in the theater, just looking around at audience and happy to see them laughing. it was very touching

Would have avoided the dreadful 10 minute voiceover exposition dump too. Shame. Decent movie though

and her visibly dirty tootsies

Attached: 1517755443220.jpg (850x400, 77K)

Understand where Tarantula is coming from. Sharon Tate was a blonde actress. He's obsessed with movies, obsessed with blonde actresses. A fool for blondes. He probably spent a lot of time pining over the "loss to cinema." Okay? He had to write it that way. He needed the catharsis, okay? Alright?

woah calm down

Reminder that it took a jew to identify projection.

Attached: Sigmund.jpg (220x299, 12K)

Reported for antisemitism.

Quit trying to normalize your sad little fetish.

But they never do die...
Maybe it would have been more tasteful and subtle if we literally just saw Tate and others from the perspective of Dalton as simple neighbors. No scenes of them from outside Cliff or Dalton's POV. Keep the Ranch scene with Cliff sure, but replace the last hour with them in Rome. The final scene is them returing from Europe to find the police there.
Tarantino was restrained when adapting Jackie Brown, considering how these were real people he should have taken a deft hand with it. Instead, we got an out of place Kill Bill ending, that makes me agree with OP.
It completely undercuts the fascinating message about Hollywood and our own personal safety.

He said legit tragedy.

Open a movie studio

No one cares what Stalin did, silly goyim.

the ending is meant to be cathartic and provide a possible scenario where all that terrible shit didn't happen and the old ways of hollywood possibly survived with it. i'm not saying it was a good choice or that it jives with the rest of the movie but that's why it's there. the whole time period and location have a very specific nostalgia for tarantino and presumably he is fulfilling his fantasies through the characters (nothing new, see: true romance, inglorious basterds, kill bill)

no, but the movie does criticize Tate and the men she manipulated more than is said, though
I'm rewatching the cam so I don't 100% understand yet, but the movie very close to Death Proof (which I like) in that it is about the relationships between men (cowboys, WW2 vets) and women (hippies)

Who gives a fuck about Tate. I wanted an interesting movie and instead I got some footfaggots wet dream

Implying you even knew who she was prior to the movie

IIl try and watch it again from that perspective, but I guess I just dont agree with that vision of his.

OP here: I did.

No you fuck off man don't defend literal prostitutes

Liar.

Why didn't Leo go crazy and team up with Bruce Lee to torch the ranch?

Alright

I did, i li e that true crime shit

>zoomer learns about Manson murders from popular new movie
>assumes everyone else did, too

any guesses as to what tarantinos deal is with alternate history? whats so fascinating about it? what does it mean?

I don't think Cliff toward Dalton what happened to the car.

>he thinks the Manson family murders were obscure

To boomers, no. To the zoomers here (you), yes.

How old are you?

Stop projecting

There's always that one single j*w in every thread that tries to imply that the holocaust actually happened

I feel no one is really grasping the true weight of the ending. The entire thing is meta as all hell. They took this real life tragedy and made it into a happy ending fairy tale. Rick Dalton going up to Sharon Tate's house to laugh it all over with everyone? It's horribly sad when you actually think about it and what actually happened.

It's like Disney adapting old children's tales that originally ended gruesomely but instead now end the way a typical moviegoer wants it to end. Happy.

People watch and marvel at the ultra violence and over-the-top finale of the film then completely disregard that they felt the rest of the film was "boring" because the end was "cool." This is a fairy tale for adults. When Disney takes a story with a sad ending and says, "No, this won't do. A child can't think. They have to be happy." then changes it to lighten things up? This is Tarantino alluding that reasoning to the average moviegoer. They don't want to be sad. They want the good ol' American boys to come out on top and everything to be wrapped up in a nice little bow.

Tarantino didn't use fictional characters to do this. He used a real life incident with real life people. If you meet someone who didn't grasp that the ending is full of pathos then you shouldn't trust their opinion; they are who Tarantino is making fun of.

I’m really over Tarantino and the bizarre worship of him.

Now this is getting into the debate of authorial intent. Have any hard evidence in the film?
Bastards juxtaposed horrible violence against American GIs with Nazi's laughing their butts off. A clear shot at the audience who take similar pleasure from seeing the same thing happen to Germans. Thats enough to convince me there's suntext indicting the audince.
This movie, I didn't pick up on any of that. I think it's just as likely he was playing it straight.

It shit on the people who killed her though.

I bet he paid Charlie to kill her.

didn't find it insulting, i found it sad though, it's like a "what could have been" alternate reality.

Imagine with the Manson murdered never happened, that was America's first 9/11. It started the trent of turning killer into celebrities, and look at what we have now. Outcast shooting up their schools for fame and """revenge""".

Attached: 14480090086_d3bcad55b4_h.jpg (1599x1069, 357K)

holy typos, i'm so tired i turned into a third worlder.

Tarantula lays out the trick at the start of the film user. When you see a certain type of person win over someone else, it has a psychological effect on the audience.
So he shows a more traditional form of masculinity (that defeated the "nazis") overcome "hippies" (here women and the men they control, who are especially prone to "nazism"), just the opposite of what we've seen in every movie for the last 50 years.
this movie is far more subversive than people are giving it credit for. It's not just a nostalgia wank

It started before that with people like Billy the Kid and Al Capone.

FOOL 9/11 was way worst! our own government did 9/11!

You really think Manson could and would keep that a secret that he takes to his grave?

Ah yes, I must not insult the fact that she was killed and had the word FILTH written in her blood by creating a happy story version where she gets to live and continue being a symbol of innocence and free love in an era that should've never ended. How disgusting, unsentimental, and cynical. I would have preferred to see her tastelessly murdered after watching 2 hours of a hangout comedy.

>and look at what we have now. Outcast shooting up their schools for fame and """revenge""".
That only happened because assholes in education thought schools should be inclusive and allow retards, autists, and social rejects to share the same schools. They used to have their own schools and take the short bus. Is there even a short bus anymore?

Well, the title of the film is one of the biggest ones. The entire thing is a fairy tale set in the final breath of Classic Hollywood. We are taken on a journey and meet larger than life personas in ways that we, as a movie going audience, perceive them. Let me explain.

Each real world celebrity portrayed in the film is over exaggerated and captivating. They are real people of course, but in the film, they are how we perceive them. Bruce Lee is this kung fu maniac, Steve McQueen is radiating cool, etc. They are surface level, not fleshed out, caricatures of the real people.

Meanwhile, we are shown in great detail the inner workings and deep characters of three others...one of them happens to be real. Leo and Brad's characters obviously aren't real but nevertheless main characters so they are fleshed out more. But why are we shown so much of Sharon Tate and her inner workings just to pull the rug out from underneath us and have her live? Why have all these real life people and not bother to give any of them the same treatment but instead delegate them to exaggerated personality features?

When Margot Robbie goes to the theater to watch The Wrecking Crew, we do not see her digitally inserted into the film. Rather, we see Sharon Tate herself. Robbie looks around the theater and sees the reactions of others. The reactions of others to the violence on screen. They laugh and cheer. She does too. We are shown earlier in the film that it is more than possible to have a realistic insertion of an actor in a movie (Leo in The Great Escape). So why not here?

She, like us, sees Sharon Tate in that movie and wants to be her. She wants her to succeed, even if it doesn't make sense if you think deeper. We project ourselves onto those we want to see succeed in films. We want them to come out on top. She's the damsel in distress. And she needs saving. Even if it doesn't make sense. Even if when you think for more than a second and it falls apart.

Both came nowhere near Manson in the 60's/70's. Manson made murder Hollywood tier, he was Warhol famous.

I interpreted the non-insert of Robbie into The Wrecking Crew as a continuation of the joke made when she goes to ask for a free ticket. Neither of the employees recognized her because that is Margot Robbie playing Tate. It was meta humor.

don't hurt yourselves, Tarantino didn't want to reshoot those film scenes because it'd be corny and almost and insult.

DOOOD THE ENDING WAS META LMAO

who cares when the first 2 hours put you to fucking sleep

What is the best biography film that depicts manson murders?

Reshoot? You're dumb, it's digital work. Don't hurt YOURSELF, bitchass

Cheap way to come up with a plot.

>tarantino
>digital
lurk more

That's a very interesting interpretation. Thank you for that. You are very well versed and I have enjoyed discussing film theory with you.
Digital filmmaking. It wouldn't be reshooting the whole scene. There's a deliberate reason they didn't switch her in for the real one.
I disagree. The film was wonderfully put together and well paced as a slow burning story.

it would be fucking hilarious if the ending went into ultra violence version of the murder that's usually shown in tarantinos movies
imagine the butthurt

The actors wouldn't have signed up for it then.

>Digital filmmaking
>Thinking Quentin "all digitalshit must hang" Tarantino would pull some Disney tier digital faceswapping in one of his babies

oh nonononono

It would be pretty funny but the controversy would sink QT and box office would pl--

Uhh, nevermind, I need to think about this

Did you see the movie? He inserts DiCaprio into The Great Escape. He doesn't insert Robbie into The Wrecking Crew. This means it was a deliberate decision on when and when not to use such work. I still agree with that poster, it was a thought-provoking choice. I feel like the entire Tate in the theater sequence is the mysterious heart of the movie.

Reading some of your guys "film theory" is absolute cringe. Tarantino could record Brad or Leo taking a dump for 2 hours and you would find all kinds of hidden meaning in it.

Attached: index - Copy.png (204x247, 6K)

I don't know about well versed, but I like to think I'm pretty observant. You should see my notes on PF, Inglorious Basterds, and Reservoir Dogs that I used to write a college paper about his shared universe of film tropes. I wish I could find that little POS moleskine, wherever it is. My observations in that remind me of the level of detail in your posts.

bump?

It's Art, take whatever you want from it.

Eat shit you pretentious fuck. I bet you're the same asshole in every one of these threads crying about why people like the movie.

Do you have a purpose in life?

everyone who thinks tate should have been murdered at the end of the movie is a retard and needs to go watch the movie again

Basedjack poster with a garbage observation, nice.
I don't even like the movie, but the title "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is enough to make some assumptions as to subtext like lays out.
So either make a damn argument or fuck off back to a sneed thread where you belong

Attached: 45cfea47-5ba9-4194-9c82-44a1bade17661.jpg (530x675, 63K)

didn't she get mad at trent reznor for buying her house?

>Yea Forumstard that thinks he has an idea on how to film kino

Fucking nigger spelling bots, goddamn this

Attached: 1465738687865.jpg (1920x1080, 148K)

Cinema 101: The Thread

She confronted him, but I think she more or less found his answer to why he was living there satisfactory. Seems to me Reznor soon after decided he was being a dick, which isn't hard to believe seeing as he named the studio he made there "Pig."

What the fuck are you talking about, you delusional retard? Are you really this easily manipulated by Tarantino's juvenile revisionist fantasies?

>Sharon Tate
>Talented

Otherwise I totally agree.

He is a pretentious idiot who thinks he's making things right using 'the power of cinema'.

There should have been a massive fight sequence on Spahn Ranch between the rest of the Manson Family vs Cliff, Rick, Brandy, and the Tate people

well, trent did buy the house years later

Not for you, really

You cheap bastard

At least it isn’t an instagram stalker thread

By this logic, rod serling's daughter loved the new woke twilight zone, so I guess Yea Forums was wrong and it is a great show

muda, muda, muda

Exactly. And for me, it's probably the most sentimental, emotional moment in Tarantos career, alongside the conversation between Grier and Foster the first time the parole officer went to her house to get back his revolver.

Robbie is wonderful in this movie.

Seething brainlet. Go back to your youtube channel, faggot.

Awww man, the Grier and Forster scene gets me every time. The way he settles into her music and drinks his coffee... ahhhh

There were a lot of more underplayed moments in OUATIH, like the chemistry between Pitt and Qualley, Pitt and DiCaprio (the sunglasses exchange at the door at Cielo Drive was quite nice) and DiCaprio and the young actress. When she's on his lap in the Perry scene I was smiling ear to ear. So many "ahhh" moments.

Left-field example from JB: When Ordell is schooling Louis on guns when they're watching that VHS tape. Dunno why that scene is maximum comfy to me, but it just is.

>the movie is about the death of old hollywood and facing your own personal inevitable decline into irrelevance when the next generation comes along
But with that ending that's no longer the case

Booth is on his way out (fired because Dalton doesn't have money) and Dalton is on his way in. Even if Dalton still wants Booth after his career picks up following the Tate encounter, the guy is probably injured due to the knife wound and now he'll be known as the guy who killed his wife and singlehandedly killed three home invading hippies. Also, Dalton treated him like a personal servant and I bet he lets the Tate encounter go straight to his ego. The tragedy is Booth, really.

For all the shit Tarantino is always getting for all the comical, grotesque violence in his movies, he's a master of conveying comfy, beautiful and very subtle moments of intimacy between his characters.

robbie is so beautiful

This. He's an overrated, unoriginal, genuinely untalented faggot that got famous for making anti-white films and saying nigger more than niggers do.

This scene is audiovisually Tarantino's best work, and the dialogue is pretty spiffy too, prove me wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=3e7wbs_xfas

his next kino should be a waht if scenario on what if the holocaust had actually happened?

Reznor is Tarantino-tier. Got famous ripping off better and more talented people and delivering a watered down, bullshit version of them for mass consumption by fucking idiots who enjoy not knowing any better.

>best work
From a career which steadily produces complete shit, I guess you had to dig for this one.

>I had to dig

Nigga JB's been my favorite since I saw it. I can bring up so many more examples of great work, too. Shove off ya contrarian faggot.

I guezs you could say... it really moved her... TO A NEW HOUSE

You missed my point, retard. She liked it so it makes it good, same as Tates sister liking this which makes it good

Says more about you than me, wigger.

Don't feed that miserable baiter. Let him spit his forgettable brainless shit without answer. It's funnier that way.

Tarantino always wanted to make his own hang out movie after Jackie Brown and he finally did. Charlie+Sharon are there to let us know it's going somewhere
Everyone in this thread is retarded

I don't get it lol

No offense, but JB isn't a hangout movie. Any movie with the protagonist's name in the title is unlikely to be. It's very much about Jackie's *flight* from poverty.

You cannot buy everyone with money. Everyone has a price. Oftnen is money but that was her sister.
You are pitiful.

That user wrote a load of piffle.

tarentino was even more obviously riffing on the audiences hard on for violence in this one. You get dicaprio frying nazis which is both a reference to inglorious basterds and it shows people getting off on it. Right before the murder part of the movie starts a character on tv says "now the moment youve all been waiting for" or something similar. Also the fact that dicaprio uses the same flamethrower at the end. If anything it was even more obvious what hackentino was going for than IB

What did the Manson Family think of it? Tex and Squeaky are still alive.

>tfw Pussycat never existed

Jackie Brown was dull as hell
endless talking and scenes in that apartment with the boomer and the lazy girl
I have no idea why it's shilled here

no one even knows who the fuck sharon tate is why should we care

>Jackie Brown was dull as hell

Projecting onto films is a rather meta psychological tic to use

Your post shows why zoomers are the worst generation in the history of humankind. Good job.

im a boomer retard im 25

Prisons have theatres?

Holy shit. That's much worse then. A boomer manchild with zoomer sensibilities. You should end your miserable existence for the benefit of our dying civilization.

Lmao, and to think I was taking their post half-seriously before. The retardation on this board!

>tfw she died happy and smiling
It was not so bad after all

Attached: Charles-Manson-Murders-Sharon-Tate-Crime-Scene-4.jpg (950x893, 111K)

How were you born in 1993/1994 and didn't hear about the Manson murders? That's a pre-zoomer birth date, you're not even as lowly as honorary 90s' kid, you're full-fledged 90s', pre-Tide-Pod, pre-Y, an actual fucking millennial. How is this possible?

>Nobody else's opinion really matters outside her family.

Of course it does. He didn't make this film just for her family, he wants everyone to buy a ticket.

I thought the movie was boring and ultimately pointless: jokes fell flat, violence that didn't advance the plot. It sucked.

Once upon a brap in hollywood

I didn't really like how comedic and over-the-top the ending was.
Plus some of the deaths were pretty brutal, even for a Tarantino movie.