Spirited Away

Why is it so good?

Attached: 1561164077150.jpg (800x1144, 175K)

Because you're dumb.

Why am I dumb for liking it?

Why is user so dumb?

Because just about every scene surprises you with something new and imaginative and beautiful to behold.

not that good imo. your name is better

Attached: Spirited Away Zoetrope.webm (1920x1020, 2.94M)

cant even remember the plot of this weeb shit

>Thinking plot matters

It was refreshing, both visually and culturally. Not to rag on Disney but almost every other mainstream animated movie of that time sort of blended together

Childhood is believing Spirited Away is Miyazaki's best film.

Adulthood is realizing that Porco Rosso is his best film.

Such a great film.

my dude. Porco Rosso is great

It’s good but overrated
A lot of people cite it as the best ghibli movie but it doesn’t even come close to mononoke or nausicaa (it might as well count as ghibli and it’s included in thinking collections so it’s ghibli)
I think howls moving castle is better than spirited away too, I know plot isn’t everything but it’s nice for it to be coherent

You're dumb for thinking it's good, not for liking it. You're gay for liking it.

Ah shit how did I forget porch rosso when writing this Probably my second favourite after mononoke

Howl's Moving Castle grinds to a halt whenever Madame Suliman is introduced.

Miyazaki's best film is Castle of Cagliostro
Studio Ghibli's best film is Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso is still head and shoulders above everything else though

Howls Moving Castle is underrated, but it dosen't have the tight pacing of Spirited Away or the fun characters of Mononoke.

I wish he made a few more straight-up adventure films like Castle of Cagliostro or Castle in the Sky, those movies are fun as fuck.

maybe we were the miyazaki all along

Attached: 1562637413513.png (1280x720, 879K)

It isn't.

Not an argument

Kiki is boring as fuck, she just gets depressed and mopes for the entire movie

*AHEM*
I'D MUCH RATHER BE A PIG

is this the whole movie? cool

That movie is far less enjoyable if you’re not familiar with lupin III
The first time I watched it was before I’d seen any other lupin, it was mostly fine but when goemon shows up with almost no context it’s quite confusing if you aren’t familiar
And you get more out of the other interactions if the characters are more familiar to you
Plus while great I think porco and mononoke are still better

pure imagination and wonder. something Disney movies used to have.

Started the decline of ghibli. Howl's is even worse. There's no soul to anything ghibli post mononoke.

>what is The Wind Rises

Shit

You're a strange and sad little man.

What is it with grown ass men obsessing over animation clearly made for children?

This. You should watch football like real men.

bait

kaguya is excellent

It's not. It like most japanime tries to explore some interesting themes but mishandles them without fail. Looks pretty though.

What are some good movies?

I'm basic but Princess Mononoke is a masterpiece and his best creation.

Do you mean films in general, standalone anime movies, or anime series?

Don’t mind me I’m just posting this director’s best film.

Attached: EB9329C1-AF42-4233-AFFC-A2FB43B5337A.jpg (1080x1600, 656K)

I'm just wondering if you like ANYTHING at all.

You’re pathetic

But you apparently don't like or enjoy anything. That's sad.

Howl's Moving Castle and Laputa: Castle in the Sky are my favs

Attached: laputa_1600-original.jpg (820x448, 106K)

You really need to prevent your emotional state from being affected by opinions on the internet.

So this is what soul looks like...

As an emphatic human being I cannot ignore a fellow human being's suffering.

Why did Disney move away from hand drawn animation. No the films look ugly.

Everyone who says this is overrated can just fuck right off. It absolutely oozes creativity and charm, and is virtually flawless

Because it's easier.

I like a lot of things actually and even enjoy many low quality works. So recently I rewatched and enjoyed Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, the new Devilman Crybaby series on Netflix, Jojos arc 1&2, Bleach season 1, Total Recall(original). I enjoyed watching Spirited Away I just don't rank ot up there with quality western works because it's just an anime.

>it's just an anime
Jesus Christ

Because the most based Jap ever made it

Attached: 1536449579281.gif (410x230, 1.81M)

>hates anime
>keeps making it
What did Miyazaki mean by this?

Such is the story of man

Good grief, you must be from Yea Forums; the smell of youthful angst is unmistakable.

This. It's his only film that has true character depth and plays by it's own rules. And it's just kino.

>I just don't rank it up there with quality western works because it's just an anime
You were doing so well and then you went and teened yourself.

From this doc

>There’s a hilarious scene where Miyazaki, seemingly unprovoked, starts moaning about “Frozen.” “That song ‘Let it Go’ is popular now,” he says to no one in particular. “It’s all about being yourself. But that’s terrible — self-satisfied people are boring. We have to push hard and surpass ourselves.”

Attached: 1B60A5B3-C59F-4BA9-BD65-EC1CC8744BDF.jpg (1000x1480, 141K)

mono was hot trash nigga, the end was dumb af

im deadass it made no sense

he makes movies, while hes refering to the anime shows, its not well translated, and hes not talking about the technique but the content the studios keep shitting out

B A S E D
A
S
E
D

Absolutely based.

No shame. It is Ghibli's and Miyazaki's best work.

It’s funny, all this talk about the best Ghibli and no one mentions Whisper of the Heart or Only Yesterday
Spirited Away and such ilk are the Transformers of animation, drawing renown through flashiness and explosive backgrounds. It’s like nature scenery in film, you don’t need to develop a gripping background yourself when the nature does it for you. In animation if you have a zany enough milieu, you can forego any gripping story or characters because the boom boom flashes take your attention from it.

i really dont see it. i mean the flick was fun but thats about it

Your name is really good, better than spirited away sure, but that doesn’t mean spirited away isn’t great

It's just anime, why do you care which turd smells worse?

I don’t?

LA PUTA
hehehehe

I think it's perfectly translated

someone rate in order best to worse all the movies

ive only seen spirited away. i like it because of the character designs. a lot of the other films look like boring dreamy/floaty/soft shit.

Redpill me on Porco Rosso, why should I watch it

It's good if you are a man
Literally a movie soi and women only get on a surface level

Miyazaki is a loathsome boring old pedophile.

>tfw local arthouse cinema had a miyazaki film a month last year
It was fucking great, seeing them all on the big screen

It's one of those 'women will never understand' things.

Satoshi Kon > Weeb Miyazaki trash

The only film that legit made me feel like a kid again.

>Your name is really good, better than spirited away sure

What a shit opinion

Attached: 1560802247563.jpg (960x960, 30K)

AHEM

Attached: large_bwVhmPpydv8P7mWfrmL3XVw0MV5.jpg (400x600, 82K)

not him but really? It looks very cheerful and a great adventure, but is Porco Rosso actually Goodfellas-tier macho-kino?

How do you know my name?

Nobody likes being depressed.

>What is dramatic tragedy, established in theatre since 1000BC and now movies?
Discarded opinion

Happy endings > sad endings

Whisper of the Heart is pretty mediocre. The resolution of the love story was massively rushed, and the only interesting thing was the brief flight of fancy with the Baron. Only Yesterday is maximum comfy. A bit slow and "uneventful" for some perhaps, but a great representation of late 20's-early 30's life dissatisfaction and growth.

Best kino

Attached: EFDDF46D-BD1C-47C0-A48C-F259D7BEC7D7.gif (500x270, 1.96M)

Yep, i was on the Ghibli hypetrain after Porco Rosso, but I watched a couple of others and was eventually underwhelmed.

Too much farting about with whimsical bullshit, pig pilot was full of content

>t. a literal and unironic underage child

I used to think life is a tragedy. But when I grew up I realized it was a comedy.

Attached: The Joker is Trump.jpg (328x1036, 166K)

From my favourites to least favourites:
>Amazing Tier
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

>Great Tier
Howl's Moving Castle
Porco Rosso

>Good Tier
Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service

>Okay Tier
My Neighbor Totoro
Grave of the Fireflies
Only Yesterday
Pom Poko
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

>Not Okay Tier
Ocean Waves

>not laputa

Howl's Moving Castle pisses me off because it deviates so heavily from the source material for no reason. The source amterial would be perfect for a Ghibli movie, is one of the comfiest books ever written, and even does the same anti-war stuff but in a way better and more subtle way. Miyazaki just felt the need to cram that anti-war shit down your throat instead of letting it simmer in the background like it does in the book, and it makes the whole movie worse because of it, leading to a rushed and confusing final act.
And then Miyazaki has the gall to shit on his son for the Tales from Earthsea movie because Miyazaki is a westaboo who liked the books and hated the adaptation.
Sure, it's not a good adaptation of The Farthest Shore at all, and for some reason it also throws in Tehanu. but Jesus Miyazaki, do you really get a right to bitch about shitty adaptations ruining good source material when that is literally what you did to write your umpteenth "war sucks and here's why" movie?

Attached: e736b127e4ac0a1f605c74e53038ba56.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Meant to reply to

>I haven't seen these movies but I know they're bad
Wow.

Women can't relate to a man's dreams.

satoshi kon was taken from us too fucking early desu

fucking clown world

Attached: mediterraneo.jpg (1920x1080, 202K)

fair enough

Have you read his manga works?

> but Jesus Miyazaki, do you really get a right to bitch about shitty adaptations ruining good source material
It was a movie.

nah, never read mangas desu

The plural of manga is manga. And that's a shame, I don't know if they're good either.

as was Tales from Earthsea. If Miyazaki gets to tear his own son a new asshole for poorly adapting a novel he likes, then I should be allowed to mock Miyazaki for doing the same with a previous movie.
I don't even care that much about the bad adaptation thing, that merely annoyed me a bit. Howl's Moving Castle is still good overall, so I can gloss over the fact that it's a piss-poor adaptation that would have been better if Miyazaki hadn't rammed his peaceboner through the script.
What really irks me is that he's a hypocrite. I can tolerate a bad adaptation if it yields a good film, but creating a bad adaptation and brushing off criticism about it because "it was my vision" and then roasting someone else for fucking up an adaptation of a series you like is just pathetic. Especially because his son's defense was also "it was my vision, I wanted to add Sparrowhawk's relationship with Tenar because I thought it would have made the stakes of The Farthest Shore higher"
That's a shit reason btw, The Farthest Shore is a masterpiece of modern literature and has no romance at all (for good reason) However, it's no more shit than the reason Miyazaki himself gave.

Either both should be free from criticism for following their own ideas, or both should get shit for bad work. Acting like your own poor job is ok while lashing out against someone else's directly comparable poor work is a clear demonstration of a small mind.

>as was Tales from Earthsea
That was the joke. Hayao said that about his son's film. "It was a movie" was his opinion on it.

I see what you're saying, fair enough.

It's not translated at all. It's made up.

They're not comparable movies.

Japanese things can't be wannabe Japanese.

Spirited Away is made for children, but it's not made for children the same way that a Disney movie is.

this scrolling thing is so cool

Extremely based.

>Miyazaki, do you really get a right to bitch about shitty adaptations ruining good source material
Because you’re just triggered and howl is a good movie
Whereas tales from earthsea is a shit movie
It’s also worth noting that the author of the Diana Wynne Jones likes the movie
Whereas Ursula K. Le Guin rightfully thinks that tales from earthsea is shit
There’s nothing wrong with changing stuff in an adaptation and making it your own story provided that the new story is still good, howl is good, earth sea is shit.

I've never met a single woman who likes it. They just dont get it

Women are the ones who go "why would you fly, that's dangerous".

Women think that Porco actually has a pig's head in the movie

>Inb4 someone brings up the children prostitution theory

What

I got used to fantastical elements in Ghibli movies and I just took the existence of a pigman for granted.

but.. he does have a pigs head in the movie

He does have a pigs head
He has actual pig ears and a pig nose, he’s not just an ugly guy, he’s clearly a pigman
Also fio a cute

Attached: 3D0A1400-7A29-4638-88EF-E7B658DBC9B2.jpg (1080x1080, 173K)

>doesn’t even come close to mononoke or nausicaa
Nausicaa is extremely underrated. Beats the crap out of Mononoke in my opinion, especially considering they're both basically the same damn movie.

Miyazaki really only has two kinds of movie:
>heartwarming, vignette-based character exploration with loose plot and strong themes of internal conflict
>epic, high-concept action/adventure science fantasy with strong pro-environmental overtones

Personally I really love nausicaa but it’s basically an incomplete preview for the manga, which is even better