What does Yea Forums think of John Cassavetes?

What does Yea Forums think of John Cassavetes?

Attached: image.jpg (1600x1988, 484K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/x6nKKB2As0E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've only seen The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and some of his acting roles.

TKoaCB is one of my favorite movies and I think he did a very good job playing slimeballs in movies like The Dirty Dozen or The Fury.

havent gotten to him yet

A women under the influence and opening night are fantastic. The former containing one of the best performances ever.

OP here, just getting to him myself after buying that box set.
I'll probably end up watching them in order but I'm pretty excited for Chinese Bookie.

literally the most kino American director. if not for him Scorsese wouldn't have made mean streets.

Are you gonna watch the theatrical version of Chinese Bookie or the shorter director's cut?

Shadows is my favorite, I love the soundtrack.and the jazzy noir vibe.

Attached: [email protected] (1024x768, 104K)

Pure kino obviously

The cinematography in some of his early stuff can be off putting but it actually serves a storytelling purpose.

Is this the guy who plays the husband in Rosemary's Baby?

saw every film he made except for big trouble, which i'm pretty sure he only directed a few scenes for
10/10 filmography, it gets rocky at the beginning and i'm not the biggest fan of shadows but he's one director that's actually worth watching chronologically, especially since his last film love streams feels like a logical conclusion, even referencing older films he made
it's a bummer seeing how unhealthy he looked in love streams
youtu.be/x6nKKB2As0E
who's that knocking at my door is worth checking out if you're a fan of mean streets/cassavetes, extremely underrated

Attached: love-streams-vintage-movie-poster-original-italian-2-foglio-39x55-5321.jpg (1452x2000, 822K)

I adore Cass. My fav director. Films propelled by emotions so frantic they cannot be cointained. Everything from camera movement to stories is exceptional. Highly recommending Faces (longer cut ofc). Love you guys, spread love as Cass did!

I've seen it! cassavetes told Scorsese to make more of that instead of boxcar Bertha!

Pretty kino films but good lord, the guy was a completely pretentious asshole. Reading the things he said, to him his movies were like the second coming of christ or something

I'm actually not sure, is there sort of a universally enjoyed cut between the two of them?
It's not often you see a director's cut shorter than the theatrical version.

I think he's an interesting director, even if I'm not super into cinéma vérité. I think he's got plenty of great individual scenes in his movies, but as a whole they sometimes leave me a bit cold because I tend to appreciate a strong central plot over good performances. That's why I have issues with how meandering A women under the influence feels at times, but it's go so many great isolated scenes in it that I can't call it bad, jut not for me.

My personal favorite is The Killing of a Chinese Bookie because it's got a clear underlying plot but still has those classic Cassavetes bits in it. I probably would hate the original cut of it way more, given how much he retooled it after the first cut kinda bombed with audiences.

Yes.

Opening night is fantastic. The entire ending where she's completely fucked up drunk to a point where she can barely stand but still goes on stage to give an amazing performance was pure kino.

Good buy. Really good director and everything from him is worth watching.
He is not John Ford or Sam Peckinpah.

I cannot help but wonder if ray carney will get to release the original version of shadows on dvd after gena rowlands dies
Sooner or later they have to stop giving a shit

Opening night is very underrated

He was one of the first men to push BLACKED in american cinema. A true visionary.

Like him. He was on a good Columbo, and was good friends with Falk
The Cassavetes/Columbo connection was always strong and enriched both

Attached: 9f0d9d5a901d63c644a9fca2b4892335.jpg (500x333, 24K)

>and was good friends with Falk

IIRC, Falk, Cassavetes and Gazarra went to do the Dick Cavet show to promote Husbands while being super drunk and basically made complete drunken fools of themselves by acting up, to a point where for the rest of their lives all three felt super embarrassed about their behavior every time they saw Cavet in any capacity.

Shadows, Too Late Blues and Husbands are really good. I really enjoyed A Child is Waiting, probably because I too work in the same sphere. There is something heartwarming and touching about his early movies because I never really felt the same about some of his most beloved films like A Woman Under Influence or The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. Still a great director though.

So where do people fall on Minnie and Moskowitz?

KoaCB is really good, and AWUTI has a lot of gerat performances and scenes, and overall I like it's honest and legitimate depiction of mental illness and it's effect on the American family. Definitely need to watch more from him.

Attached: KINO-00206.jpg (1280x692, 236K)