Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

Why did it flop so hard? I just watched it and it was a pretty comfy movie desu

Attached: DgZlkN8X0AI0RW_.jpg (500x615, 39K)

disney sabotaged this and Treasure Planet, which is better than Atlantis. it is known.

because the hot german chick dies

too many side characters (the crew specifically). no musical numbers.

Also, why did Tangled flop when it’s a much superior film to Frozen?
>better story
>better girl
>better villain
>better animation
>better world building/visuals/mythology
>better songs
An all around better film.

Attached: 7C8F43B5-BEA2-43C2-9F76-55A68AAAF4D2.jpg (1876x1080, 276K)

because Frozen is more likable. you could shit solid gold and it'd still be shit. not saying Tangled is shit but Frozen is better

Don't move don't breathe don't do ANYTHING

>because Frozen is more likable
If by likeable you mean overly reliant on fantasy vs tangible drama and having low stakes and generic family drama then sure, it’s likeable.
Frozen is absolute shit, absolute normie fodder.
Tangled actually has some dark themes going on

forgot how intense this movie was with all the deaths and the bad guy turning into that screaming crystal monster at the end

>dude let's break break down a movie made for kids under 10 academically and explain why fuckin NORMIES can't handle it!!!
this is the Yea Forums I know

Kids wanted Toy Story & Ice Age at that point, aka 3D shit, Atlantis & Treasure Planet are pretty good but came out at the wrong time

tangled made like 600 million dollars.

>Kids wanted
you really think consumers have independent thoughts and make their own decisions don't you? haha, poor guy. disney sabotaged both of the films.

Can't make japanese hentai references like 'let it go' to anything in tangled.

Kida is my Disneyfu by far. ANd the reason I am a sucker for the white hair blue/green/red eyes combo.

Adding delicious dark skin to it is an overkill.

Attached: kida_by_zarory_dc5lxy7.jpg (698x1100, 521K)

They released it against Harry potter.
They basically sent it out to die.
Kinda like what they did with princess and the frog which was released against avatar.
Idk why they would do that. I'm sure there are behind the scene reasons as well as some kind of corporate interests, but I can't really imagine what it was.

d... damn.... disney moobies used to LOOK LIKE THAT??????

I jacked off to her as a kid.

Some of the people running disney literally wanted to kill off their hand-drawn animation staff and move on to 3D, and so they sabotaged a few movies to make sure that they could justify throwing most of their animators out of work.

I wouldn't mind so much but I loved those movies. The aesthetic, the tone, everything was pure childhood adventure fun. If you're a boy and you don't love these movies then you're probably suffering from some sort of behavioral disorder, they hit all of the right notes.

That makes you a man of supreme taste in my eyes.

Attached: kida_by_twinklepug_d3c6lp4.jpg (721x823, 278K)

Live action will make a billion

how old are you?

Attached: 1475526293478.png (288x415, 135K)

Will it be made by Netflix?

it already did

Attached: file.png (600x397, 370K)

2d animation with 3d being the new thing. Also action oriented animated films tend to flop. They've never been marketed well. Titan AE, final fantasy and so on. Avatar made it work by using live action to frame the animation.

They could at least have waited to be able to make good cg films before doing that.
Every 3d film they made up until tangled was either meh or shit

Depending on who you ask, the plot was either too intelligent and complex or too incoherent to have the mass appeal of previous Disney musical oriented animated films. Either way, it was too much of a departure from what audiences were used to.

I mean, they were planning on making a full sequel, a Tv show and a Theme park attraction for it. Seems weird to screw over your own investment like that.

Ironically, this is a Disney film that does diversity right. All the people in Milo's crew and the Atlanteans would be a more lucrative film with Diversity than the Little Mermaid. Funny, how no one talks about this movie when they criticize Disney for lack of non-white characters in their properties.

Why would it be made by Netflix when Netflix is about to lose all of their Disney content? That's a stupid thing to say, user.

Same year

Attached: 268x0w.jpg (268x402, 39K)

Posting more Kidagakash.

Attached: kida__august_reward_one_day_left__by_prywinko_dclngab.jpg (1920x1280, 1.46M)

Shrek is still a fun watch overall but like the other early Dreamworks movies, all the pop culture references date them pretty badly.

Because Disney wants this film to be forgotten, and its consumers oblige and don't even remember it exists

I hate this kind of fan art. Drawing characters in a "realistic" style completely misses the point of the appeal. It needs to be at least somewhat similar to the original designs.

Watched this the other day. Absolute fucking kino.

Make Atlantis supreme again.

Attached: kida_by_missqualle_d9tvix5.jpg (1100x1658, 873K)

what are you gay

yeah but we got like a good 6 years where that wuxia scene was on point.

Just saying this is way more appealing than this . Either way I stopped jacking off to cartoons years ago.

Disney at the time thought the logical way of the industry was more adult/bigger scale projects so they half ass their attempt at outdoing Don Bluth/The Iron Giant. However people at the time were enjoying Shrek, Bug's Life, Toy Story 1 & 2 and Ice Age instead of 2D films, because 3D was young, there were more storytelling opportunities than 2D, which was held captive by studios trying to outdo the Disney Renaissance, so by the time Atlantis is released, no one cares about 2D anymore when 3D is actually doing things that are new.

It's also not that good of a movie. It needed to be 2 and a half hours long in order to accomodate everything nicely, some characters were good, others not really, the James Garner character didn't even need to be a villian, for example. It tries to get too much information ''out of the way'' and forgets to actually tell a story.

And then it preaches against ''capitalism''.Right.

>All the people in Milo's crew and the Atlanteans would be a more lucrative film with Diversity than the Little Mermaid
This exactly they got all sorts of people in Milo's crew a Black guy, Italian and etc.

What do you jack off to now?

Brown princess, evenrone knows princcesss are white.

Mostly vintage late 70s to early 80s pron.

Frozen was Saturday morning cartoon tier.

For some reason, animation studios in the early to mid 2000s tried make more Mature Scifi 2D/3D hybrid movies and they pretty much killed traditional animation. The movies appeared to be too more mature for kids and most teens didn't want to watch cartoons.
>Titan A.E
Killed Fox Animation Studios
>Treasure Planet
Colossal Flop. Pretty much made Disney want to give up on more Traditional Animated movies.
>Sinbad
Almost killed Dreamworks.

>Disney murders their own 2D animation unit, drives thousands of animators out of a job or having to learn 3D, causing a setback in workforce for years to come
>years later they ''Bring back'' 2D via reference animation for their 3D movies and 2 minutes of a handdrawn animated segment in Mary Poppins
>retards gobble that shit up and praise Disney for saving animation for the uptenth time

Attached: 1445304448906.gif (284x223, 960K)

Based late 80's to early 90's is a bit better tho

Normies are gonna normie user. Plain and simple.

Attached: kida_by_feeana_d6y5cns.jpg (1044x1600, 158K)

a two and a half hour Atlantis sounds pretty freakin based.
>it preaches against ''capitalism''
I’ll admit the twist isn’t the most original, but all the characters still get treasure n shit. It’s just against murdering an entire city for the sake of a quick payout. It kind of implied he was even screwing himself out of money by treating a mystical power source as nothing more than a large diamond.

The taboo stuff from back then is so, so much better than modern day "hot mom catches not her son in the shower" garbage. I don't know why anyone watches that shit.

While watching Atlantis I was pretty much going ''this should be longer, this should be longer, this ended too soon'', the story department in that movie must've been hell judging from the way the animators/writers tried to cram everything into a 80 minute runtime. I wonder if at one point they did a leica reel version of their script and it was 3 hours long so they went ''oh fuck''.

The twist is really dumb, and having the whole ''let's sell the crystal off'' villian thing cheapens the end of the movie, if they acted like it was a necessity to bring the Atlantians to the surface or if it was something they had no choice and agreed to do it, and then Milo figures out something and they go ''oh shit'' and backpedal hard, that would've been more interesting and satisfying then ''let's just do Star Wars and get the thing back from evil army man guy''

It wasn't those movies that killed 2d animation.
It was cheap crap like the rugrats movie and the dozens of movies based on cartoon shows that Disney put out after realizing how successful that was.
Even the Simpsons joked about that. Twice.

No one knew Avatar was going to be a hit, in fact it's first week was pretty mediocre

Disney just started following Pixar, Bluesky & Dreamworks, 3D was the in thing at the time & still is i suppose

i jacked off a kid to her

I want to tongue Kida's anus so fucking much bros..

It was a combination. Like that user said, the major studios were attempting to draw in a slightly older audience in the early 00s by producing big budget hybrid traditional and CGI animated sci-fi adventure movies that ended up losing them a shitload of money.

My school cancelled their trip to see Atlantis because it was "too violent" because some parents expressed concern

I think whenever Disney went slightly more adult, they performed poorly at the box office, same thing with Notre Dame

I am jacked period

Attached: 4391880ddc5ead80d462e2c4ffc1d271.jpg (494x750, 42K)

There's no way that guy is taller than 5'7"

Doesn't matter when you look like that.

I guess. Although if I could be magically gifted any body type, I'd 100% wish for a 6' plus lean model look over being a bulky manlet. Who would?

It came at the time people started to stop caring about 2D animation.

New Disney hates Glen Keane and intentionally sabotauged production of Tangled.

Do you guys have a shred of evidence to back up these claims of supposed sabotage? No major studio is going to pour hundreds of millions into a project and then purposely sabotage it over a personal grudge. Tangled was also far from a flop.

Gainax said the rights were all tied up with NHK or they would've sued

What does Gainax have to do with Disney's Atlantis?

Same with Titan AE which was pretty good imo
Didn’t realize at all these were flops as a kid as I saw them in theatre

Too many white people

They did it to treasure planet by giving it a imposible winter release against juggernaut , it had no chance.

it’s basically Stargate

Okay that one I'll give you. Why they chose not to release Treasure Planet during the summer is legit baffling.

PENG

Attached: absolutely nothing, goy.png (718x312, 114K)

A common corporate thing in Hollywood is to ignore the pet projects of the executive you replaced. Since the money was spent before you got there, in a different quarter, it doesn’t reflect poorly on you if it fails.

Oh yeah, I recall hearing about this back in the day. Sort of a Hunger Games/Battle Royale type of deal.

Still though, IIRC they spent an enormous amount of money on Tangled because it was something of a tech demo for new cutting edge computer animation techniques they developed during the production of Tangled and then refined for Frozen.

Mike Mignola is the most based mother fucker that ever breathed and if you're not down with that I got 2 words for ya

Attached: Hellboy - In the Chapel of Moloch.jpg (920x1470, 210K)

yeah I don’t think it was picked on hard necessarily. It was wasn’t necessarily a priority to sell the shit out of it. It’s biggest issue, monitarily, was it didn’t have a normie magnet like Let it Go

Kida is so pretty

Attached: kida.webm (1920x816, 603K)

Yeah but animation sucked. She has some kind of robe and then it disappears in the same second.

Meh. That stuff happens in even the most top tier animated films. It's overall gorgeous looking.

>Would make a lot of royal heirs and repopulate Atlantis with her

Attached: kidaaaaa_copy_by_glimpen-dc5w0pm.jpg (760x1052, 137K)

>2001
That's probably why

Attached: 1486961104524.jpg (550x550, 62K)

Timing and marketing.

Attached: Atlantis.jpg (960x640, 70K)

Wow no mention of my hairy latina waifu Audrey?

september 20th, 2001

damn thats some bad timing

Rip-off

Attached: Nadia.jpg (750x1049, 141K)

dam son

You'll never understand that this movie could be a shot for shot remake with an identical script and no one would care because weeb shit will always be weeb shit.

Arnie's "Collateral" was supposed to come out around then, too