Italian and European Horror

Any good films to start watching if I want to get into the Italian horror genre? I know it's a very famous niche, but seems elusive to find any mention of it nowadays.

Underrated european horror films are also appreciated. Just looking for recs

Attached: suspiria.jpg (225x225, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/oh_dae_su/list/top-150-italian-giallo-films-as-rated-by/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Horror or also giallo films?

Giallo as well, so both. They're both similar and relevant to what I'm seeking

Basically everything from Argento, go chronologically i guess.
Mario Bava: Blood and Black Lace, Kill Baby Kill, Bay of Blood, Black Sabbath, Black Sunday, The Girl Who Knew Too Much, The Whip and the Body
Sergio Martino: Torso, Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, All the Colors of the Dark, The Suspicious Death of a Minor
Massimo Dallamano: What Have You Done to Solange?, What Have They Done to Your Daughters?
Luigi Bazzoni: The Fith Cord, The Possessed, Footprints on the Moon
Aldo Lado: Short Night of Glass Dolls, Who Saw Her Die?
Lot of Fulci's films.
European horror: The Cremator, Hour of the Wolf, Mother Joan of the Angels

Thank you for the very thorough response, I'lll be saving this post.

No problem, this is also a good list. letterboxd.com/oh_dae_su/list/top-150-italian-giallo-films-as-rated-by/

Much appreciated fren, also nice trips

If you have more European recs I wouldn't mind. One of my favorite films if The Vanishing, Dutch 1988 psychological horror nominated for an oscar. You should watch it if you haven't already, it's free on Youtube.

Demons (1985)

Demons 2 (1986)

Zombie (1979)

This guy summed it up pretty perfectly honestly, you’re set.
I’d maybe add some Brit horror too since that’s still technically Europe.

The Wicker Man (1977)
Night School (1981)
The Legend Of Hell House (1973)
The Devils (1971)
Theatre Of Blood (1973)

No problem fren.
That one is very good, i have seen it. The American remake is bad.
The Phantom Carriage, Nosferatu, Arrebato, Diabel, Don't Look Now, The Skin I Live In, Angst are quite good horror/thriller films.
Also check out Peter Strickland after watching some giallo films. Berberian Sound Studio, Duke of Burgundy and In Fabric. Especiall the 1st and the 3rd one are related to giallo films.
I would also recommend Peter Greenaway. He is not a horror filmmaker but he makes quite unpleasant and funny films. Visually fantastic too. Check out The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover or Zed and Two Noughts. If you like them watch his 80s films and then 90s. Baby of Macon is great.
Philippe Grandrieux is also kind of horror filmmaker, i have to say he is not for everyone and i hate some of his films but check him out. His films are extremely unpleasant, it's really hard to watch some of them. I would recommend starting with Sombre. Move chronologically.

Tenebre is my favourite Italian horror movie. It's the most aesthetic.

Don't forget the best british horror film.

Attached: xtro car scene.gif (299x162, 1.25M)

Diabeł (1972) - A very overlooked Polish horror movie

Attached: 116.jpg (674x960, 213K)

Good stuff, I was going to rec some of these. Used to be a huge giallo fan. Sergio Martino is one of my favorites.

At least 10 films on that list that aren't Giallo's at all

I didn't check the whole list. It's still good.

Yeah it covers pretty much everything. From about 74' to 79' was one hell of a period for European genre cinema

Angst

>the director has made only one film

All of these, also

Witchfinder General (1968)
Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)

Based folk horror poster

demons and demons 2 are what i call proper horror, recommended