Have a whole history worth of source material. Cancelled this to adapt an unfinished book. Is HBO retarded?

Have a whole history worth of source material. Cancelled this to adapt an unfinished book. Is HBO retarded?

Attached: waifuniobe.jpg (960x1440, 410K)

The demographic is retarded, HBO just wanted more shekels.

their sets burned down or some shit and it was already only going to get more expensive

how expensive would it have been compared to like GoT? They can just use CGI for their sets. I mean if they can do GoT they certainly can continue this. It was also getting closer to Jesus' time. Maybe they wanted to avoid that sensitive part of history.

They cancelled Rome to do GoT?
No wonder i hated that shit from the beginning

Because they didn't foresee George not writing even a single book since they started adapting the books

Rome really wasn't that good, not even a quarter of a Deadwood.

Go watch the scene of Bran running across the Winterfell roof to a cheap synth music score in the GoT pilot. It's obvious greenscreen and it looks like shit. The show would have suffered enormously if they tried to use greenscreen sets in that way. You're supposed to use CGI sparingly and for things you cannot do IRL for obvious practical reasons... not because you're cheap or incompetent or just unlucky.

It really wasn't all that expensive a series, they used a lot of cost savings measures too such as closer shots to hide the lack of grandiose sets.

only towards the end of the second season and that's because they knew it was going to be cancelled so a lot had to be condensed.

at least it was axed before it all turned to shit

Not so sure about that. The creator had so much planned for it. The death of Cassius and brutus was supposed to be just for season 2. Pretty sure they planned to flesh out the many epic battles that happened after that. agrippa making two lakes as a hidden naval base to build ships and train them would've been epic. They also planned for the rise of the jewish messiah as it was foreshadowed in the show.

Rome was good, but nothing compares to Deadwood. Why did Deadwood get cancelled?

didn't they film in a studio in italy? dunno how that could be more expensive than GoT filming all around the world. pretty sure the cost was a factor but not the only reason. HBO probably wanted a solo epic project like GoT. I loved the roman era and good news is Martin Scorsese and the guy that made Vikings are teaming up to make a series called The Caesars.

IIRC a chunk of their extremely expensive set got damaged in a fire. HBO looked at expected profits vs the expected cost of rebuilding and following through with the original plan (4 seasons, full Antony-Octavian war, etc.) and decided to axe it and move on to other projects. When you look at what a ridiculous success Game of Thrones turned out to be it's hard to say they made the wrong call even if I wish they stuck with Rome.

Would Rome be woke garbage if they made it today?
I feel like there’s no reason they couldn’t start this show again, there’s no shortage of periods to cover
After watching that shitty wokemen trailer though, I’m not sure if anything timelessly good like Rome or deadwood is possible in current year

absolutely it would

>there’s no shortage of periods to cover
Well, the entire production both in front and behind the camera would obviously be dominated by women, both in sheer number and in power, so yeah... there would be a lot of periods, i guess.

HE WAS A CONSUL OF ROME
IDK if it's good or bad that it came before GOT. If it had come now, there would be probably bunch of SJW shit in it. But then on the other hand, I'm pretty sure it would actually show massive battles. I know that at the time it was one of the most expensive shows HBO had done and I really love it, but I always felt bummed out that they still didn't have enough money for the battle scenes.

Like imagine Caesar vs Pompey for example with Hardome, Battle of Bastards etc. tier budget.

But what of good Solonius?

The battle between cassius/brutus and antony/augustus is more interesting and what they wanted to focus on season 2. Also the naval battle of augustus and pompey's son and finally the battle of actium. There's literally no shortage of battles from that time and would be awesome to see on screen but instead we get made up battles like battle of the bastards which fails in comparison and epicness.

>MUH BATTLES
you're the reason TV has gone to shit.

It would be about stronk women fucking their slaves and pulling the string of all the betas in power including Caesar.

ROME WASNT CANCELLED BECAUSE OF GOT

ROME WASNT CANCELLED BECAUSE OF THE SET FIRE

ROME WAS CANCELLED BETWEEN SEASONS BECAUSE AT THE TIME HBO DIDNT WANT A GIANT BUDGET TO PRODUCE BECAUSE THE BBC PULLED OUT OF FUNDING

STOP SPOUTING BULLSHIT

The show took a dive in quality in the second season. Best it ended when it did.

Spartius was much more kino

The last two episodes are very shitty. Pullo's story especially.

>Eastern Roman Empire
>lasts literally a thousand years
>saves Europe from hordes of Eastern Barbarians
>gets backstabbed by the Eternal Krauts
>has a Kino Ending
Fuck the rest of the world, the ERE is all that matters. Fuck the Brits, fuck the Frogs, fuck them all. The modern world wouldn't even exist if Byzantines weren't fighting tooth and nail while the WRE was busy with Charles the Fat & Charles the Bald.

Attached: 1524104805791.jpg (320x480, 50K)

youre a mad of awful taste, sparticus is garbage schlock for the plebs

the quality nose dived BECAUSE it was cancelled, cancelled it mid-writing of season 2

>*stops existing because of one sneaky Venetian*

Attached: EnricoDandolo.jpg (220x270, 25K)

Why didn’t Caesar just take the loner back to Rome?

Attached: A0474D97-1F4D-4A3F-8919-785B1B32D1AE.jpg (892x498, 47K)

The show sucked anyway

It wasn't cancelled so that they could make Game of Thrones.
I hate GoT more than anyone, but why has this become a meme?

its an interesting show though. Good script.

It's like the transition between the 90's style of tv making and the modern more sophisticated digital pipelines. Several directors of the second season are familiar names that went to work on major TV shows after Rome. And one can see the technical jump throughout the 2 seasons if you pay attention to such things.

The recasting of Octavian was a catastrophe though I must say.

>You're supposed to use CGI sparingly and for things you cannot do IRL for obvious practical reasons... not because you're cheap or incompetent or just unlucky.

You clearly never will be a producer. Money drives everything my anonymous friend. You're talking as if Hollywood had virtues. It's a business man, a costly one with high risks for investors. So yes if something can be done cheaper it's probably going to be seriously considered. That is the norm of the industry.

>The recasting of Octavian
The young one was perfect but he had to grow up to a young adult sadly. And the show didn't even do a great job at showing how brilliant this kid was. I saw somewhere that he studied astronomy and celebrated Caesar's death grandiosely for days and he timed it so that an asteroid would pass during the celebration. Got some priests in his pocket and he virtually made Caesar a god to the people's eyes which made him the son of god.