Slovenian philosopher Slavoj Zizek developed several theories after multiple viewing of «The Son of the Mask»...

Slovenian philosopher Slavoj Zizek developed several theories after multiple viewing of «The Son of the Mask». The first one, of course, is the pseudo-Hegelian notion that this gap stands for a "self-alienation" which I should strive to ideally abolish and to fully assume my speech as directly my own. Against this version, one should assert that there is no I which can, ideally even, take the word "directly," by-passing the detour of prosopopeia. Wearing a mask can thus be a strange thing: sometimes, more often than we tend to believe, there is more truth in the mask that in what we assume to be our "real self." Recall the proverbial impotent shy person who, while playing the cyberspace interactive game, adopts the screen identity of a sadistic murderer and irresistible seducer - it is all too simple to say that this identity is just an imaginary supplement, a temporary escape from his real life impotence. The point is rather that, since he knows that the cyberspace interactive game is "just a game," he can "show his true self," do things he would never have done in real life interactions - in the guise of a fiction, the truth about himself is articulated. Therein resides the truth of the charming story like Alexandre Dumas’ The Man Behind the Iron Mask: what if we should turn around the topic according to which, in our social interactions, we wear masks covering out hidden true face? What if, on the contrary, in order for us to interact in public with our true face, we have to have a mask somewhere hidden, deposed, a mask rendering our unbearable excess, what is in us more than ourselves, a mask which we can put on only exceptionally, in the carnevalesque moments when the standard rules of interaction are suspended? In other words, what if the true function of the mask is not to be worn, but to be kept hidden?

Attached: p35578_v_v8_ab.jpg (960x1440, 378K)

Why.....Why did I read all of this?

zhis is she part where you boogie
and sho on and sho forth

it's okay to be autistic

Yeah, sure, but why does he wear the mask?

Attached: image.png (392x464, 293K)

flamboyant and theaterpilled

That doesn't answer the question

kek

As affirmed by Professor Zizek, crucial is here the inherent stupidity of this compulsion: it stands for the way each of us is caught in the inexplicable spell of idiotic jouissance, like when we are unable to resist whistling some vulgar popular song whose melody is haunting us. This compulsion is properly ex-timate: imposed from the outside, yet doing nothing but realizing our innermost whims - as the hero himself puts it in a desperate moment: "When I put the mask on, I lose control - I can do anything I want." 'Having control over oneself' thus in no way simply relies on the absence of obstacles to the realization of our intentions: I am able to exert control over myself only insofar as some fundamental obstacle makes it impossible for me to "do anything I want" - the moment this obstacle falls away, I am caught into a demoniac compulsion, at a whim of "something in me more than myself." When the Mask - the dead object - comes alive by way of taking possession of us, its hold on us is effectively that of a "living dead," of a monstrous automaton imposing itself on us - is the lesson of it not that our fundamental fantasy, the kernel of our being, is itself such a monstrous Thing, a machine of jouissance? In the immortal words of Tim Avery, this is the part we boogie.

why is some faggot spamming so much to force a retarded meme? Worse than the faggot on Yea Forums and the log of shit spam

I'm sorry but the philosophers are talking here, can you please fuck off.

>he still visits Yea Forums
oof

Zizek is a fag and Hegel is trash.

Because no one cared who he was until he put on the mask.

You need to have a pretty high IQ to understand The Mask, a working knowledge of Lacan and Hegel is essential.

Kino post

In the sense of answering your question, a mask used for another purpose other than a mask to be worn, loses its definition of it’s original purpose, henceforth becoming something new.

To frame these questions on the concept and function of the titular Mask, it is worth first looking at the short story Lacan tells at the beginning of Seminar X, a similar tale to which he referred in the previous year in Seminar IX. Imagine, he says, that I am in a room with a giant female praying mantis 3m tall; and that I myself am wearing The Mask of an animal. The Mask is one like that of the magician from the Paleolithic cave of the “Trois Frères,” which looks like a horned being, half-man, half-animal, and I do not know exactly what animal I am. It is not hard to imagine, he continues, that I would not feel entirely at ease in such a situation, because there is a chance of the female mantis misconstruing my identity. With a certain amount of imagination it is in fact possible to notice a similarity between The Mask of the magician from the engraving and the pointed head and antennae of a praying mantis.

>that I am in a room with a giant female praying mantis 3m tall; and that I myself am wearing The Mask of an animal
ha...nobody evere experienced that paranormal contact hahaha

How much coke do you have to take to write like this

Who is lacan?

>Here we encounter the truly frightening realization about one-self *sniff* Rather than allowing himself to submit to the abject self-deconstruction presented by the Mask itself, the person would instead dismiss the discussion as another common post-ironic memetic joke *sniff* What this leads us to is quite an epiphany: for if we cannot truly dissect ourselves into our most primal abstracts, then the idealism battle is already lost. In fact, so far gone is this mentality, that the subject quite crudely compares the rational discussion of cinematography to the much barbaric and quasi-freudian vision of excrement and so on and so forth *sniff*. So in the end he is not truly rejecting the so-called "post-modern ironic ideology", but instead he is following along with the herd so to speak *sniff*. He is in his own perception rejecting the Group and becoming the Other, but utterly unaware of his actual position as being in the Group, or rather a metaphysical manifestation of it, given stage through sarcastic and dismissing comments and so on *sniff*

lacan these nuts

Slavoj has been behind Maskposting this entire time

imagine

based