So what did I think about this? opinions? did I like it? was it kino?

so what did I think about this? opinions? did I like it? was it kino?

Attached: 268x0w.png (268x402, 202K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R5H9QGm74fs
youtu.be/y07Z8YVbjbs
youtube.com/watch?v=fYAhc_Gakzk
youtu.be/kQ6zPdKlVP8
youtube.com/watch?v=-aMCzRj3Syg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

SOMETIMES I
SOMETIMES I
SOMETIMES I
UNDERSTAND IT OH SO CLEARLY

Great movie, distracting bowlegs dough. His parents hid the orange juice or something.

It's pretty good but it's clear that Mann's more interested in the single-minded professional Graham than Dolarhyde, which is fine but it robs the killer of any real depth and just makes him into a generic psycho. Tom Noonan did a great job ith what he was given.

Also the editing in the finale is kinda shit.

much better thn jonathan demme's cringe inducing cuckfest
brian cox in two scenes that in total were about 10 minutes in length was more threathening and felt like more of a embodiement of lecter's character than hopkins was in the entire movie

kino movie
kino soundtrack

This and To Live in Die in LA are William Peterson kino.

kino
youtube.com/watch?v=R5H9QGm74fs

Attached: 1563845846391.jpg (1424x600, 42K)

I wish MANN still made films like this instead of the camcorder shit.

Best (only good) Harris/Lecter film. Mann elevates the material.
Based Heartbeat poster.
>Also the editing in the finale is kinda shit
I liked the jittery shit, made it feel more psychedelic.

Mann's best and the best Hannibal anything, the extended fanedit that's out there makes it even better

Attached: THAT STANCE.jpg (500x753, 79K)

absolutely kino, my man

Is there a fire in the sky?
Is there a moon up there?

Attached: 1535295111801.jpg (800x450, 49K)

The scene were Will slowly puzzles everything together while watching the tapes is one of my absolute favourites, truly masterful.

>extended fanedit
What's different about it? Are the extra scenes available elsewhere?

big yikes: the post

I've downloaded it last year but never got around to watching it. I looked at the image quality and it was badly digitally-converted to blu-ray or something.

>You posted in these sneed threads, haven't you my man?

incel kino

>you didn't actually shoot him or throw him out of the plane, did you my man?

Absolutely based taste.

Attached: 4gnpdy.jpg (1600x1014, 294K)

Dishonest cover for Manhunter. His tattoo isn't shown in the movie. We don't even know if he has one.

God tier double feature.

It’s one of the all time great works in the extended noir tradition and perhaps Mann’s defining masterwork - although that’s not to take anything away from Heat and Miami Vice, the latter of which will go down in the history of cinema as THE foundational work of a 21st century digital aesthetic that the film industry is still too cowardly to embrace a decade and a half later, except Harmony Korine.

Petersen is utterly sublime here and played the clearly cracked flipside of a psycho murderer perfectly. As someone else said, a treasure of a role along with Friedkim’s To Live and Die in LA (Friedkin’s best work too).

There are 3 deleted scenes but they don't add much to the story. They were deleted for a reason.

Then keep watching Avengers, retard

You liked it. It was kino.

That's a memorable as hell standout moment in that film. Compare that to the Red Dragon version which does not even quality as a 'moment', let alone the standout scene of the film. Ratner wishes he was half to Jew Mann is.

>His tattoo isn't shown in the movie. We don't even know if he has one.
He doesn't, you moron. Watch the fucking movie.

Isn't that the director's cut? Slightly extended police debriefing and an extra scene at the very end with a character you've never met before?

They really stick out because I don't think they remastered those scenes for whatever reason.

I don't like that cover much either, but that's the one the Blu-ray I got has. Would have much preferred pic related as the Blu-ray cover.

Attached: manhunter-movie-poster-md.jpg (297x466, 30K)

I liked it. it was Hannibal Lecter meets Miami Vice. Both Tom Noonan (Cain from Robocop 2) and Brian Cox ( a theater actor) were great in this. I loved both of their portrayals and everything abouth the Mann movie looked clean and angular from an aesthetic point of view. There was no soul in it. but in a good way. The look of the movie, especially in Hannibal's cell, was that of an Ipad. Clean, sleek and white. It looked like they had fear of fear. His character too and they way he walked around and talked had that clean sterile look.

The relationship between Tom Noonan and the blind woman also had some grey area in it. For a while, you, as a viewer, might've had the thought that there was some good in him.

Very different from the nineties version. Where Hannibal is in a dirty cell and The guy the guy they're trying to catch is also dirty in the way he presents himself and is portrayed.

Manhunter has a sleek, clinical look to it, which was a nice juxtaposition to the horrors.

I don't watch that cape stuff.
I have seen films from the 80s which were perfectly converted to bly-ray. Especially those Criterion Collection ones.

STRONG AS I AM

Incel on his first tinder date

Because Brian's Lecter felt more like some bloke you met today or any day who you wouldn't expect to be a monster. And that's why he was more frightening. Hopkin's Lecter was a funny book character from some bygone era. He was creepier and unnatural but not at all the normal chap you'd expect to see on your day to day jaunt. www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=https%3A%2F%2Fpostnewsd2.blogspot.com%2F2019%2F07%2Ftrans-woman-who-filed-controversial.html&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Peterson just isn't a good actor.

What? They did paint a dragon on his back and even recorded the scenes like that but Mann later reshot those scene because he felt the dragon tattoo was too cringey. But they kept the tattoo on movie posters and promotional photos for some reason.

Is this bait? He's literally flawless in both this and TLADILA. After those he seemed to completely disappear from kino unfortunately.

Allowing I agree with you, that's the same font as the Nickelodeon logo, can't be taken too seriously these days.

He's subdued as hell which is obviously the point. Can't speak for his other work but I bought in the film he's fucked up deep down or when he's make the connection with the tapes I could see the cogs in his head working.

Pretty kino, yes.

youtu.be/y07Z8YVbjbs

He was offered big roles inc the lead in Platoon and the Liotta role in Goodfellas IIRC but he stepped back to raise a family and later cashed in bigly with that CSI shit.

>Tom Noonan did a great job ith what he was given.
Performance was good but surely part of it was the fact it was guided by a talented director? So I'd say Mann deserves credit for all the shit Noonan's performance implied about the character's background and mind too.

Got that sweet TV paycheck from CSI

More kinos with a similar feel? Pic related felt kinda similar. Mann and Friedkin were god tier in the 80s.

Attached: 1550716704637.jpg (550x800, 464K)

What a goddam shame, he would have blown it out of the park with those parts.

My comment may have been a bit extreme. I like him, but I think they could have found someone so much better. I remember him in Fear and thinking wow, he's perfect for this role. Didn't feel that with Manhunter or LA

Tom Noonan is a good actor and a pretty cool guy. I've gotten to meet him in person twice, went to college with his son.

He's kinda weird though. Like he won't own a microwave in his home.

The worship Yea Forums has for this B-grade film has always surprised me. It's campy, sure, and you can enjoy it. But it's not better than Red Dragon or Silence of the Lambs.

Cruising is so good. Most polarizing film I've heard besides maybe Brokeback Mountain. People either say they love it or haven't seen/don't want to see it because.. gay.

A lot of Mann stuff feels detached and objective. Fincher is the same way for me. Considering how detached Will feels to think like a killer, it only adds to the movie. It's pretty ambitious to give the most emotional scene to the villain(tiger scene).

What does he think about 5G?

Attached: manhunter1.jpg (1920x1080, 220K)

>More kinos with a similar feel?
grimy 80s procedurals?

Attached: 240978-1020-a.jpg (754x580, 117K)

Yea Forums loves all mediocre Michael Mann films for some reason

He was good in Heat too. Or was it Ronin. Where he had that scene with DeNiro. Only three movies I ever saw him in: Robocop 2, Manhunter and Heat(?). I loved him everytime he came on screen.

I'm not sure.

But here's another interesting Noonan fact from the man himself: he has beef with Zach Galifanakis. Zach worked for him as an intern on a film he directed and fucked up some reels so Noonan fired him. Then when Noonan was supposed to do a bit role in The Hangover Zach gave him 5k to drop the role.

He was also Ben Carson's roommate at Yale.

Attached: noonan_carson.jpg (732x114, 21K)

>Noonan will never star in a movie about Ben Carson's creepy brain surgery technique

whys the ending so ominous? youtube.com/watch?v=fYAhc_Gakzk

Manhunter and Silence of the Lambs don't belong in the same sentence. Manhunter is art compared to Silence of the Lambs.

here's your answer
it's just people who need to hold unique contrarian opinions

Apparently he got burned out after Manhunter.

I always thought Red Dragon was so much more interesting than Manhunter or Silence

He practically makes Manhunter and TLADILA worth watching for his performance alone.

Of course it was kino

Attached: image.gif (500x210, 853K)

But that's utter bullshit

Hm, an interesting opinion. I like Silence better but I wouldn't be surprised if someone liked Red Dragon better.

he became the gay killing gay

>preferring a brett ratner movie over a mann or demme
now that's a truly contrarian opinion

Could be that I've seen Slience too many times, but I think Norton is a much better actor than Foster, her accent got distracting at times, and Ralph Fiennes performance was incredible and complex. Not to mention the PSH scene.

DO YOU SEE?!

Attached: giphy.gif (500x200, 926K)

Yes. Mann's style only added to the movie. Collateral was different. He literally got more up in the face of his actors. It was a lot closer. There were detached moments and feelings of loneliness. I've bought 'Thief' some time ago, I'm really curious about it. But I'll watch it when the moment hits me. I've seen 'the Insider' but I reckon I was too young. I'll have to rewatch it.
Did not like Miami Vice.

But Mann is definitely a great filmmaker.
Style is substance. And in the case of Manhunter and Colleteral and Heat I feel the Style was merited for telling this kind of a story. There is a vast loneliness in the people he chooses to tell a story about and the way in which he films it conveys that to the viewer.

Dogshit

Dolarhyde is supposed to be a tall and imposing bodybuilder who "could have gone pro if he wanted to". Fiennes doesn't do it for me in that regard.

The soundtrack was distracting, it could have been great if not for that.

To be fair, Mann's version doesn't have an imposing Dolaryhyde, either.

I have the book right next to be just haven't started it yet. My opinion could certainly change after though.

WEAK AS (YOU) ARE

youtu.be/kQ6zPdKlVP8

>Tom Noonan not imposing

Thief is awesome and sold me on James Caan. I've just seen The Insider last week and loved it. They're both perfect examples of Mann motif of people being their careers. Al Pacino IS a journalist. James Caan IS a career thief. And they're both willing to burn every bridge and destroy their lives as long as they can fulfill their career promises to themselves and the world around them.

I'm about due for a Collateral rewatch.

Tom Noonan is pretty terrifying in Manhunter.

Just looked at Finchers' filmography. I've seen quite of few of his movies, without ever realizing they were his. Does he have trademarks? Seems like he is pretty eclectic compared to Mann. But that might down to personal perception. If you told me : Alien 3, The Game, The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button are directed by the same guy. That's pretty cool.

So this is the kino thread right, I need more gritty kinos like Sorcerer. I've already watched the original Wages of Fear.

Attached: sorcerer.jpg (750x1000, 161K)

I've noticed Fincher likes to use alot of greens in his movies and Mann uses alot of blues

Fuck, To Live and Die is such KINO

Great style but I wished they'd gone further with Dollarhyde. Heat=Thief>Manhunter=Collateral>Blakchat

Fincher is a little hard to pin down. One of the reasons he feels detached is that he rarely lets the camera move. You're there to soak in the characters and the scene. His stories are pretty diverse so there's no real constant theme, besides the people are perverts. Zodiac is my favorite of his.

As an aside, but I'm convinced Mindhunter stole it's name from Manhunter.

I feel like you'd like Sam Peckinpah movies, but I've only seen The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs.

BASED!

My Mann.

Can't find it on the website I order my dvd's from. But I'll keep it in the back of my mind. Looks interesting enough.

TLADILA bros, what was your reaction?

Attached: richard chance getting brained.jpg (1302x708, 47K)

It's basically blacklisted and you can't buy it anywhere. You'll have to pirate it. I don't remember why (((they))) hated it so much but I think they considered it anti gay propaganda. Friedkin was based af.

Did not expect it. But this actually the alternative ending that made into production. The original had him and the other cop sitting in a cabin somewhere in Maine or something watching the news.

Best scene in the movie.

And yes, kino film overall

It was rereleased by Arrow on BD. Should be pretty easy to get a hold of.

No, this is the original ending. The alternative one is the one with the cabin and Friedkin hated it but he was forced to film it for the studio even though they ended up not using it or something.

By "original" I mean the one that was made earlier. From and interview I gathered he wasn't satisfied with a happy ending like that so they shot the one in the final movie instead.

Well if you haven't you need to watch Friedkin's other thrillers. Don't skip over Cruising

Get a load of this faggot. Why would I want a BD if I have a DVD player, numbnuts.

Oh shit I forgot Miami Vice. It's high tier. One of the most beautifully shot movies ever

Because it's the current year.

Also I don't know why he can't use ebay.

>The relationship between Tom Noonan and the blind woman also had some grey area in it. For a while, you, as a viewer, might've had the thought that there was some good in him.

In the book Red Dragon they delve into it a lot more, his childhood and his psychosis. He genuinely does care about the blind woman and agonises internally about whether he and the dragon are the same or whether the dragon is something he can defy and let her live. Faking his death was the only way to let her go.

The most interesting part of Red Dragon, I don't think is in either of the films, is an observation Graham makes at the end, watching insects eat each other:

>"In the Green Machine there is no mercy; we make mercy, manufacture it in parts that have overgrown our basic reptile brain. There is no murder. We make murder, and it matters only to us."

Been looking for this movie for over a year. Ever since Yea Forums recommended it to me. I'm a fan of Roy Scheider and Tangerine Dream. But there's no legal way for me to get it. which sucks. I don't want to watch a movie on my laptop like some fucking pleb.

invest in a $3 HDMI cable then?

It literally got a bluray release a little while ago, it shouldn't be too hard to find on Amazon. Friedkin did the transfer himself afaik.

I think a version of that quote pops up in the tv show at some point.

>"In the Green Machine there is no mercy; we make mercy, manufacture it in parts that have overgrown our basic reptile brain. There is no murder. We make murder, and it matters only to us.

I'm going to have to stew on that one for a while.

Fincher has a very distinct style

I made a thread a while ago explaining how the movie is about people in hell but nobody responded

Take your Blu-Ray and your HDMI cable and stick it up your fucking ass. Go pirate some weaboo shit.

It's not that complicated.
>hurr we're just animals with overgrown brains lol killing your pray is natural lmao.

You read it again.

Sorry, it's too music video/tv-like in style to be better than Silence of the Lambs.
Collateral is a better film than Silence, though

It's nice to know that Fincher worked together with Jodie Foster on 'Panic Room'. So there's a tie there. But Silence of the Lambs, from my personal experience, in the nineties. It was a sleeper. The VHS got handed down from friend to friend and eventually they started talking about it on state funded tv. Hoorah! It was critically acclaimed. But it took quite some time for this movie to be recognised where I lived. It was a special movie, at the time. I went over to my friends house and he shoved the VHS into the player and I didn't know what I was expecting. It was some kind of special. So for that, it will forever hold a place in my memory. But to me, all those years later, Manhunter holds the better portrayal of Hannibal Lecter and the guy they were hunting. Hannibal, Red Dragon movie and all that shit. Silence of the Lambs was fucking smart.

anyone have a webm of the blind chick petting the tiger? one of the most beautiful moments in film ever.
p.s. miami vice sucks. i say that as a certified mann stan. blackhat is even worse.

silence literally looks like a tv movie with its sophomoric overreliance on closeups. silenceniggas are the biggest plebs ever and need to leave.

The Miami Vice movie is very overrated here on Yea Forums and I don't see it get any praise anywhere else. I personally do not like it because it is very much a product of its time (early 2000's action thrillers) and is very similar to other movies in the genre. It has also not aged well with the tiny flip-phones and phone cameras is just makes me cringe when it comes down to stuff like that.

The original 80's TV series feels somehow feels more contemporary, has aged like wine rather than the milk of the movie and has way better cinematography and direction than it too.

Kino

Attached: gumhunter.jpg (1278x544, 293K)

Can you expand on what you mean by tv-like?

>ruins your life with a gum wrapper

Brilliant

I might have missed it because almost every line was whispered past the mid point of season 2.

My Mann

The TV show has a classical quality to it - just superb feature filmmaking, only distributed on television (the budgets for each ep ran into the millions), with a great sense of colour and no fear in interspersing several bold and striking compositions in each episode. But it also transcended the classical paradigm of its production environment too and integrated the aesthetic of the music video into dramatic art (In the Air Tonight, Brothers in Arms etc). That feels contemporary because it has become part of our cinematic language THANKS to the Vice TV show.

Mann’s unashamed embrace of digital photog tech in the movie - and to a lesser extent Public Enemies and Collateral - will be caught up with in the next half a century once the film purists/fetishists die off and a new generation of filmmakers with no pretentious re the literal medium of their works takes the reigns with similar overtly digital results. People will look back on it as groundbreaking - and, yes, breathtakingly beautiful in a new key.

*pretensions
*reins

Fucking autocorrect

Miami Vice TV-show had handsome protagonists who lived the playboy life. Nice house, Nice cars, boats, Sun, Women in high cut. Nice clothes. But they were also cops with who had to deal with drugs, murder, kidnapping,etc. The Nec Plus Ultra of Miami Vice will allways be this: youtube.com/watch?v=-aMCzRj3Syg

It made a huge impact. It was Raw. at the time it came out. We had the Wire, so we had a different notion of what raw was. It shifted. A lot.

>Why would I want a BD if I have a DVD player
Cause you use your PC for playback DUH.

Are you fucking retarded bro? Use your PC for playback, download a BD remux.

He's going into a situation where he doesn't know if he's going to make it out alive or not. Takes a stop, calls his woman from a phonebooth
>Whatever we had, it was real wasn't it?
>Yeah, it was real.
Jumps back into the car as he has a date with destiny, together with his partner.
Kino

Silence of the Lambs is the better movie, but this has better moments (and a better Lecter). They aren't part of the same universe, but I enjoy the fuck out of both.
>sophomoric
>silenceniggas
>please leave

Mann was considered an "MTV director" because of his work on Miami Vice, it's heavy use of artist-driven music, and the "style over substance" quality some see in his films

IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA

How is this thread still up? I posted it and only read the first 4 replies and went on with my life and you’re still here discussing it

That's how discussion works here dumbass, new people join all the time. No one is impressed that you left for a couple hours.

I WONDER WHY I LIVE ALONE HERE

Maybe go watch a new movie retard

this
i've seen it praised plenty on film twitter and LB

I have literally watched two movies since you started this thread. You don't need to be in a thread the entire time to post in it.

I've watched the Hannibal tv show/Silence of the Lambs and enjoyed them.

Are any of the other movies worth watching?

>so what did I think about this?
Far behind pic related in overall suspense, but a good adaptation nonetheless.

Attached: 20150819081920.jpg (553x369, 26K)

>Prostate Hunter
Still searching

Heat. I don't remember him in Ronin

I think it is kinda funny that in the late 70s pretending to be gay was a plausible cause to go nuts and become a serial killer.

Attached: SE.png (357x211, 89K)

This I would donate to crowdfund a sequel

the music in it is what i mostly remember, kino soundtrack

>What it kino?
Hell in the fuck no.
>What did I think?
You liked it, but just a little bit. It's too slow.