Turn on MTV in 1997

>turn on MTV in 1997
>see this

What do?

Attached: Damon-Albarn-1483740395-640x470.png (640x470, 449K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KgkBWZXVLyk
youtube.com/watch?v=LoqsS_DiU_A
youtube.com/watch?v=8YIIM1EVDqg
youtube.com/watch?v=EIhSnaqou0I
youtu.be/mPQDBELczVc
youtube.com/watch?v=wWqnla5csYk
youtube.com/watch?v=fHiGbolFFGw
youtu.be/wmin5WkOuPw
youtu.be/TsPh-EgH65M
youtube.com/watch?v=DnO7ywMPbJ4
youtu.be/sO7-Mf4fSPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=_aS-ktA5phY
vimeo.com/18936423
vimeo.com/31448035
youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc
youtube.com/watch?v=xcWOviMI6Lk
youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
youtube.com/watch?v=foyAOoVagWw
youtube.com/watch?v=X5DOGsoiW6c
youtube.com/watch?v=50dZQkrqxAk
youtube.com/watch?v=f46ulX6uwGc
youtube.com/watch?v=LXEOESuiYcA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGf3ePIO04
youtube.com/watch?v=7Ru3gJ46dsA
youtube.com/watch?v=bfQ98A-6mG8
youtube.com/watch?v=MznHdJReoeo
youtube.com/watch?v=sfCLt0kTd5E
youtube.com/watch?v=18N2k1TBBRE
youtube.com/watch?v=9QZOHzWLF9w
youtube.com/watch?v=gdczQ2LsY0I
youtube.com/watch?v=NKMtZm2YuBE
youtube.com/watch?v=k09CPWwj54U&list=PLS-w4wn72rTZzrE06BG75I3GpImbXk4rP
youtube.com/watch?v=m0AKJMGxwpE
youtube.com/watch?v=qUDeA_z0xF0
youtube.com/watch?v=WAXnqjUfal4
youtube.com/watch?v=4aeETEoNfOg
youtube.com/watch?v=xSZBIs0gs0E
youtube.com/watch?v=jyJU2136ym4
youtube.com/watch?v=6NtqA5zywQA
youtube.com/watch?v=22b0AYZXoFU
youtube.com/watch?v=JL3xIId4y0c
youtube.com/watch?v=zTuD8k3JvxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qM5W7Xn7FiA
youtube.com/watch?v=u9WgtlgGAgs
youtube.com/watch?v=g3gd79FkwDc
youtube.com/watch?v=gxdJqncir4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQbjvbMea8
youtube.com/watch?v=aW2PcOyAWwM
youtube.com/watch?v=lbcfdNZZIpI
youtube.com/watch?v=HCm6gRHINqA
youtube.com/watch?v=EkwD5rQ-_d4
youtube.com/watch?v=lbnoG2dsUk0
youtube.com/watch?v=94s6O-xddNk
youtube.com/watch?v=ImKY6TZEyrI
youtube.com/watch?v=40V9_1PMUGM
youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w
youtube.com/watch?v=lbq4G1TjKYg
vimeo.com/channels/366281/46153236
youtu.be/JgffRW1fKDk
youtu.be/5rx0SsmHnxw
youtu.be/JGOm8bCFBvo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

get your head checked

Press mute and wait for an Oasis video

Attached: CE31DCCE-78A3-4F46-AB40-4F309FA89EAE.jpg (570x359, 62K)

Turn it up, boi!!

>By a jumbo jet
This was the song they used for the Starship Troopers trailer in Europe. Pure fucking Kino.

Turn over to VH1

Attached: 1522204816340.gif (320x320, 2.46M)

>write a dumb, over-the-top parody of American grunge for shits and giggles
>the song becomes your biggest hit in America

Sounds about right.

Put it in a montage scene about midway through a sports movie where the team is crushing everyone right before they suffer a humiliating loss.

WOOOOHOOOO

BASED -LG x

>haha we are just being ironic American music is like so stupid!
>GIRLS WHO LIKE BOYS WHO LIKE GIRLS WHO LIKE BOYS WHO LIKE GIRLS

Girls And Boys was also a satirical song, only it satirized vapid STD-ridden Eurotrash rather than vapid, angst-ridden Americans.

Change the channel to 1987.

Attached: Pour_Some_Sugar_on_me.jpg (259x199, 10K)

>1997

nah it was niggervision by then

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 11.48.20 AM.png (956x1105, 455K)

I SAID MAYBEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 164618F5-5048-4CC8-AACC-D1F3BB2BB1A4.jpg (674x377, 41K)

in america maybe.

The only shit I watched on MTV was Headbanger's Ball and 120 Minutes, and 120 Minutes was starting to get pretty dire around 1995 or so. By 1998 they were playing Matchbox 20 and Creed videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=KgkBWZXVLyk
youtube.com/watch?v=LoqsS_DiU_A

Attached: 1530286540595.jpg (620x556, 76K)

CRINGE -LG x

i miss their kino docs

there's not a person who hates oasis more than liam

WHEN I FEEL HEAVY METAL WOO HOO
AND I'M PINS AND I'M NEEDLES WOO HOO

terrible song

Blur fucking sucked, I was listening to Chumbawumba and Third Eye Blind

Has there ever been a better-looking lead singer?

Attached: CB38B495-1B9B-4535-9FD3-7040D64EF5EF.jpg (748x934, 245K)

Without them he'd be on the dole

youtube.com/watch?v=8YIIM1EVDqg

Liam loves Oasis and wants them to get back together. Noel’s the hater.

shut up and post tunes

Based.
youtu.be/mPQDBELczVc

For me its youtube.com/watch?v=wWqnla5csYk

Pure kino

>le satire
>le manche
Implying

Go into cryopreservation to be woken up in the 2010s so I don't have to deal with this boring 90s horseshit.

Wasn't this song also a hit in America though? I don't see your point

Noice. I haven’t seen this one. Its kinda sucks being a burger who like Oasis. No one here knows anything beyond Definitely Maybe. I love The Masterplan and Standing On the Shoulder of Giants, sempai.

youtube.com/watch?v=fHiGbolFFGw

for me, it's radiohead

Turn it up and scream Wooo hooo!

And wait to hear "Fire Starter" by the Prodigy.
youtu.be/wmin5WkOuPw

easy

youtu.be/TsPh-EgH65M

The 90's weren't that good. Stop the nostalgia shit you sound like youtube commenters

except for internet speed the 90s were superior in every way

The music was much better in the 90s.

>No one here knows anything beyond Definitely Maybe
You mean What's the Story.

Yeah that video used to air real late at night on 120 minutes (right before I stopped watching because the whole show turned crap)

Based

He was extremely /fa/ at the '96 VMAs.

youtube.com/watch?v=DnO7ywMPbJ4

>be’s free to be whatever I choose
>sings the blues if I want
youtu.be/sO7-Mf4fSPQ

>The 90's weren't that good. Stop the nostalgia shit you sound like youtube commenters
t. zoomers

It's all personal preference, but the 90s were kino for a certain style of pop/rock music in the mainstream a way that we definitely don't have any more (which makes sense, because that's how musical trends work, ie. they move on).

It's too bad the uncensored version isn't on youtube anymore. Some dude uploaded a version with the soundboard audio featuring unmuted swearing and the original video where you can see more of Liam spitting/throwing his beer bottle at the audience at the end.

This one was a later edit with alternate camera angles done for re-airings to remove most of that.

It really, really, really could happen
Yes, it really, really, really could happen
When the days they seem to fall through you, well just let them go…

Attached: kirby music.gif (250x305, 322K)

Alternative rock turned into a cesspool around 97. It was all KROQ's fault for pandering to SoCal stoner/skater bros who loved the musical equivalent of tribal tattoos and jorts, instead of anything that was part of that OG college rock spectrum.

Goddam right.

It’s funny how ‘college music’ went from a relatively serious genre to just lowest common denominator trash in a generation.

a latino guy i work with heard this song over the radio while we were closing and said to me "what's with americans and their songs all going WOOHOO and YEAHH all of the time?" lol

You can summarize the downfall of alternative/college rock with just this little bit of trivia: in the first weeks of January 1990, the band on top of the US modern rock chart was The Jesus & Mary Chain. In the first weeks of January 2000, it was Blink-182.

This is one of their weakest tracks, I don't get why it's the most popular. Sounds like it wants to break into "Breath" or "Smack My Bitch Up" at any moment but just stays the same lukewarm tone the whole time.

Load up my truck with my friends and go get some older person to buy us a case of beer, go down to the lake and go swimming with 8 to 10 of my friends. Get plastered until the game warden runs us out of the park and allow my 15 year old buddy to be my designated driver. All while listening to the new age Metallica load album.

Up the Chels

>hating chadcore like Blink

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 150K)

>ITT: Real Boomer Hours

t. literal zoomer
Blink was whiney little kid music compared to stuff like Helmet and Tool and NIN and Sonic Youth and the Melvins and stuff.

Remember when Thurston Moore shilled Japanese noise music on MTV?

youtube.com/watch?v=_aS-ktA5phY

>LATE NIGHT COME HOME WORK SUCKS I KNOW
>NOBODY LIKES YOU WHEN YOU'RE 23
>NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Attached: 1562900900568.gif (413x243, 51K)

>Helmet
good band
>Tool
gay
>NIN
really gay
>Sonic Youth
boring
>Melvins
good band

and no i think there was plenty of killer early 90s music but the problem with the late 90s/early 00s was not bubblegum pop punk, which was fun as hell. it was the emergence of post-grunge garbage like creed/3 doors down and the peak of numetal/rapcore.

That feeling that it's going nowhere is what makes it a brilliant song. That feeling of unresolved building tension is unsettling and it's nice that it doesn't build up to a "drop."

Blink was fun but they are undoubtedly brainlet rock

i know those songs were meme'd into the ground but you're lying if you didn't like blink in middle/high school.

Remember when indie bands like Teenage Fanclub were thought of being the next big mainstream act like Nirvana, got a major label deal, scored rock radio hits, and played a rare four song set on Saturday Night Live?

vimeo.com/18936423
vimeo.com/31448035

What went so wrong?

>TOOL NIN
shut up grandpa

oh for sure, but people on here are going to act like snobs that didn't air guitar to Dammit while thinking about qt grills at school

mmmmm smash boipussy...

(You)
The guy she tells you not to worry about

I was too old to be in their demographic at the time dude. There's a reason why everyone who grew up with '92 - '97 era alt hates everything that came after. It was overtly juvenile and amateurish. Blink wasn't as bad as the dirge of buttrock (an unholy combo of post-grunge/christian rock/nu metal/rap metal), but pop punk in general of that era was clearly part of the problem.

Blink 182 and Sum 41 and all that crap was just as foreign to me as the emo My Chemical Romance nonsense that would come about a few years later...
Absolutely dire music

Yeah, Teenage Fanclub were one of the bands Creation Records was pushing really hard in America around this time(Sugar, Primal Scream and Swervedriver were the others). Unfortunately they were probably the least successful of the lot when it came to US record sales, despite all the critics creaming themselves over Bandwagonesque.

that's fair. i grew up watching tons of mtv and remember all the kino early/mid 90s stuff but my most important years were all during the rise of pop punk and the emo punk wave of the early/mid 00s and even though lots of that shit was cringy as fuck i still remember it fondly. i can appreciate music from pretty much any time but the early 00s was a pretty bad time what with shit like Staind/Lifehouse/Crazy Town dominating rock radio, i think a lot of the whiny emo pop punk shit actually helped kill all that trashy low IQ butt rock.

born in 1991 balkanfag here
it was all about electronic music here, only much later have i started to learn about alice in chains, tool, katatonia, etc.

Which one was your graduation soundtrack:

youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc
youtube.com/watch?v=xcWOviMI6Lk
youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
youtube.com/watch?v=foyAOoVagWw
youtube.com/watch?v=X5DOGsoiW6c

where in the balkans?

James were pretty cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=50dZQkrqxAk

serbia

Why are Brits so obsessed with britpop 20 years after it ended?

nice, used to live in belgrade. you guys make the best hamburgers i've ever had.

I graduated high school in 2014, Blink is gay and retarded.
None you old boomer fuck.

It sold about 150k in America and made the upper parts of the Billboard 200 around the time they did SNL/were voted AOTY by Spin. That was definitely more than Sugar managed. Primal Scream also had a big modern rock hit with "Moving On Up" and sold around 100k.

I have no idea about Swervedriver.

glad to hear that, you should've visited Leskovac town for their barbecue festivals
where are you from originally?

good times playing fifa 98

>Only Brits have heard obscure hits like "woo hoo" song and "TODAY IS GONNA BE THE DAY"

idiot

no u

Obviously I wasn't asking you, zoomer fuck. You wouldn't have been old enough to remember any of the 90s anyway.

Go tweet your kale

youtube.com/watch?v=f46ulX6uwGc
FINALLY I FIGURED OUT
BUT IT TOOK A LONG LONG TIME

No Homo, but he is the only man I've ever seen that I would consider fucking.

Also, I would watch the music video, Song 2 is a minute and a half of brilliance, meant to make fun of American music, but instead turning out to be an awesome song in its own right. Shame that this song is what Blur is remembered for in N. America. So many good songs.

sounds pretty based. originally from the washington dc area. moved the belgrade around the time they built the first mercator and around the time the PM was assassinated and ceca was in the headlines for helping hide the killers. shit was wild. i lived not too far from FK Rad's stadium, like 7 minutes away.

Natalie is cute cute CUTE!

Attached: 244682eb-3851-417c-9f18-88158241b5b2_20140401t011736-jpg-650x650_q85-752x501.jpg (752x501, 113K)

Fair enough I guess.
Yeah the early 00s was pretty awful for rock music. I actually preferred mom-tier shit like Matchbox 20 and Sheryl Crow at the time because at least it had some semblance of melody.

Early 90s MTV was honestly pretty bad. Way too many hair bands and power ballads or REALLY corny hip-hop one hit wonders. Even at that point every 10 videos was a Phil Collins one.

The only saving grace was that somehow UK rave music + Manchester-scene indie/rave fusion had crossed over into the American mainstream for some reason:
youtube.com/watch?v=LXEOESuiYcA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGf3ePIO04
youtube.com/watch?v=7Ru3gJ46dsA
youtube.com/watch?v=bfQ98A-6mG8
youtube.com/watch?v=MznHdJReoeo
youtube.com/watch?v=sfCLt0kTd5E
youtube.com/watch?v=18N2k1TBBRE

That sort of thing never happened again. There was "big beat" aka "electronica" around '97 but that was a very different sort of scene/sound.

wow, what brought you here? your parents work for US government? and to be here in those hot times, you could've literally be killed just for being american but i guess you were just a kid back then

>KLF
the most based act of the 90s

Go play Zelda and cry about the Ocarina or whatever you fucking old faggot.

My old job would play Jesus Jones almost every night because their analytics showed that's when 90's kids would shop for groceries, good song though.

yup parent worked for US government. it was weird cause they would tell us not to speak english in public at a high volume so as not to attract attention, and if anyone asked we were supposed to say we were canadian. NATO/clinton kind of made us look like assholes so i get why serbs wouldn't appreciate our company but to be honest most of the people i met were super friendly and i loved my time there. never had any major problems except for one time at a flea market where my dad had to diffuse a situation where someone accused us of being americans. i really miss it when i think about it, i plan on visiting again in the near future to see what's changed. what about you? what is life like there nowadays? has a lot changed since the early 2000s? what do you do for work if you don't mind me asking?

There was a lot of trance music played on Top 40 stations around the turn of the millennium too. You'd hear "Sandstorm" or "Blue" or Robert Miles' "Children" sandwiched in between Faith Hill and NSYNC.

Weird. Do they really program certain music like that? I thought it was just some random muzak station.

i dont live in belgrade, i was there while studying, i am a programmer now
live in a small town

belgrade changed a lot since then, people generally have more money and work opportunities but it is a hub for anti-serb organizations and government gangsters(basically kind a same mafia like in 2000s but there is not killings and violence anymore,they are all working for government now while anti-gov movements are paid leftist anti-serb traitors so we kind of waiting for a third faction that will help the common man) , basically 90% of belgrade citizens are not real serbs anyway, liberal shithole

Have you seen the HD remaster of this vid?

ah okay. good to hear that things have improved in at least some regard. what do you mean they're not real serbs? like they're all immigrants? when i was there i remember there was a large chinese community. they sold lots of very cheap products inside a dimly lit warehouse, it was very strange to see as a child.

youtube.com/watch?v=9QZOHzWLF9w
GOVINDA JAYA JAYA!

Attached: Apu choons.png (354x286, 28K)

>youtube.com/watch?v=sfCLt0kTd5E
>EMF Unbelievable.
That's still pretty good !

youtube.com/watch?v=gdczQ2LsY0I

REMOVE KABAB

they are immigrants in regards to belgrade
they were never born there nor their parents and grand parents
they came from montenegro,bosnia and croatia , they are too violent and uncultured unlike actual serbs from serbia, especially central/west and north parts of serbia which is pretty obvious after you compare those parts to people in belgrade
but then again same thing happens in every country's big city i guess

>user can you speak up I cant hear you
>really I cant
>turns down music
>sorry bro it was kinda loud
>why yes it was my creed playlist, I listen to this every sunday after church
>creed was best late 90s music bro

Attached: chadbeats.jpg (660x516, 192K)

MAKES ME SHOINEEEE

Bosnian War was so kino, it actually turned U2 good for one song

>We spent all night talking about the rest of our life
>Wondering where we'll be at 25
This line hits me

>turn on MTV in 1997
>see this

What do?

youtube.com/watch?v=NKMtZm2YuBE

"Oh god not this fucking video again... Give it a fucking rest already. Even when Kurt died, you didn't pimp his death out nearly as much"

I sure do hope Sean Combs doesn't dick ride Biggie's death for the rest of his career?

Yeah, the rundown is that early in the morning (24 hour grocery store) they play 50's and 60's music for boomers then slowly up the decade until they start playing current music in the afternoon, around 4-7 for when millennial and zoomers get off work, then go back to the 90's by the time I got off my shift at 10.

The grocery chain was really anal about minor things like that to make more money.

Attached: 14586755672331.jpg (800x820, 149K)

>COMING DOWN OFF DRUGS LADS!

youtube.com/watch?v=k09CPWwj54U&list=PLS-w4wn72rTZzrE06BG75I3GpImbXk4rP

Attached: raver_1992.jpg (413x303, 15K)

Weird. Was it a decent selection of songs or just the same few hits every single day?

Cosmic Baby

Scream OOH-HOO!!!

I have zoomer taste in music so it was alright. Lot's of Ariana Grande and TSwift which I don't mind, but the 90's music late at night was the best, and they occasionally threw some late 70's and 80's songs too. Most guys there hated the job so we would karaoke through a lot of the songs.
They played this song all the time too:
youtube.com/watch?v=m0AKJMGxwpE

Depeche Mode is based

E

Go to bed stupid bongs

By "LG x" do you mean "late gen x" or "liam gallagher x"?

as you fucking were LG xx

DEAR CHASEY LANE

Attached: cl.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

youtube.com/watch?v=qUDeA_z0xF0

>Sugar
they were american though

>IDS Yea Forums CUZ M/tv/ GAIZ

Wait until the superior Blur single come on
youtube.com/watch?v=WAXnqjUfal4

Attached: beetlebum.png (1200x675, 1.02M)

this guy looks like an inbred fetal alcohol syndrome anglo, wtf are you talking about

WTF is this crap

That intro is so fucking amazing

The most orgasmic chorus in music ever, zoom zoom.

Never heard this in my life

>zoom zoom
I'm 26. Just because I've never heard your Brit-crap song doesn't mean I'm underage. We had better things to listen to at the time.

where are you from? i'm 26 and this song was one of my favorites in middle school

Your loss
>We had better things to listen to at the time.
I'm 29 so no, we didn't.

>imagine killing your friend so you can be number one
Niggers have no soul.

They used it in North America too. Then every movie shortly after overused it to oblivion.

Saint Louis

OK sure

this is gayer than anything stupid zoomers listen today

t. 28

>nah it was niggervision by then
Shut up idiot racist. You clearly weren't there. There were tons of white acts shilled by MTV just the same at the time. Those two songs were only so big because Biggie got shot.

If you bothered not to crop your screenshot for your stupid /pol/ agenda you'd see it was basically all whites making up the rest of the top 10: Spice Girls, Jamiroquai, The Wallflowers, Jewel, Sugar, The Prodigy. Only Will Smith's corny, family-friendly rap and another Biggie song were in there.

And beyond the Top 10? It's fucking Matchbox 20, Fiona Apple, Chumbawumba - Tubthumping, Dave Matthews, Hanson, a shit load of crappy ska revival bands, Sublime, more Jewel songs, more Spice Girls, more The Wallflowers, The Verve Pipe, Smash Mouth, Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, Oasis, U2, etc. etc. with some rap and R&B sprinkled in.

Granted most of this stuff was pure fucking shit, and MTV was starting to pivot more towards reality TV and other shows in the evening hours (plus the proto-TRL show MTV Live was just starting). But still, you're wrong.

have sex

it's not gay it's 90s heroin chic

The outro of this song is epic.

cope

I remember that Gen Xers used to consider 1998-2004 the downfall of pop culture and the cancerous teen pop / nu metal / trl era. People kept saying "1993-1997 was the true 90s" or "That 98-99 pokemon britney nsync stuff wasn't true 90s, felt more like proto-2000s".

But nowadays, you have millennials in their late 20s on Buzzfeed/Twitter saying how 1998-2004 was the golden age of pop culture or "the 90sest era ever", and consider anything before 1998 to be outdated/overrated/not interesting for them. A complete reversal in opinions.

Zoomers have no idea what the 90s was actually like and source all their info from later mass media and memes.

See, but I see it more from Millennials in their late 20s, that they seemingly think 98-99 was the only part of the 90s, probably because their first big memories were around then.

>People kept saying "1993-1997 was the true 90s" or "That 98-99 pokemon britney nsync stuff wasn't true 90s, felt more like proto-2000s".
I'm almost 30 and that's exactly how I feel. I fucking hated most of the music that came in the late 90s/early 00s at the time, and I still do. There are of course some that are good, but I like 80s and early to mid 90s a hundred times more. Maybe it's because my parents were teens in the 80s and in their 20s during the 90s and I was exposed to their music during my childhood.

Well most other people your age are fond of 98-04

I was born in '92 and I consider '98-2019 to be the wrong timeline.

PISS ON
PISS ON
PISS ON ME

FUGG

post vid so I can remember

>youtube.com/watch?v=4aeETEoNfOg

they were partly right, britney nsync stuff was the start but it hadn't become overwhelming yet

perspectives differ from generation to generation, but as a whole the era from 1995 to 2000 was kino and it lingered until 2008 when the housing bubble and normy internet ruined everything

poverty and boredom drives creativity, prosperity kills it but provides the resources to support it, the 90s were the sweet spot, people who weren't desperately poor but poor enough to stay motivated then experienced the 90s boom got creative, now we are spoiled and uncreative and poor

HE TALKS AT SPEEEED HE GETS NOSE BLEEEEDS
HE DOESNT SEEE HIS DAYS ARE TUMBLIN
DOWN UPON HIM
AND YET HE TRIES SO HARD TO PLEASE
HES JUST SO KEEN, FOH YEW TO LISTEN
BUT NO ONES LISTENING

You're just saying that to fit in with the gen x old school cool.

97-01 is about right -- maybe even 96.

Early-90s was still a holdover from the 80s.

>THAT AINT WORKIN

1990-1992 felt like an awkward extension of the late 80s, while 1993-1997 was considered the "peak" 90s, and 1998-1999 saw 00s influences coming in.

>1998-1999 saw 00s influences coming in.

Uh, what? I hope you meant early-00s saw 98-99 influences.

93 is still too close to the 80s but shifting. 96 is about the earliest I can think of the 90s flourishing and then that going on the following years. The growth of the internet in the late-90s has to be included because of that old internet aesthetic is still memorized and considered a large part of that era.

Oasis fans are some of the dumbest dipshits you'll ever meet, because you have to be a dumb dipshit to be a fan of Oasis.

very early 90s was, still phil collins and power ballads and hair metal. but by 93 the 90s aesthetic within music had been solidified.

Around '97/'98 the music industry started throwing out traditional alt rockers and focusing on boy bands and girl groups pretty heavily, and for the young male demo: rap-metal and gangsta rap.

ALL THE PEOPLE
SO MANY PEOPLE

Honestly Blur were way better when thet wanted to be the 90s Kinks rather than the Brit Pavement

>turn on MTV in 1996
>shakedown, 1979

Cool kids never had the time.

based
such a great track

...Billy Idol?

Shamen song sounds like Streets of Rage

BASED VAGYNA SONG

fucking this

top 40 radio in the early 90s was total sappy bullshit. literally the average listening age was like 30-something. all michael bolton and crap, wouldn't even play huge hits by nirvana or metallica or any rappers.

then, it all changed over night and you had all these weird fucking acts on top 40: it was fucking beck next to mariah carey, the flaming lips after an Eazy E track,the Presidents of the United States of America and Primitive Radio Gods played with Sheryl and Alanis, Alice in Chains and house music.

But around '98, it just turned into crappy post-grunge and then again in '99, overnight turned into pure teeny-bopper music. At that point the average age must have been 11: it was all NSYNC, Mandy Moore, J Lo, Backstreet Boys, Britney, Christina, 98 Degrees, LFO, lots of random Brit acts like O Town, Bewitched, Spice Girls, that Irish Spice Girls copycat, Robbie Williams, All Saints, and then absolute meme tier shit like "All Star", Eiffel 65 "Blue", Darude "Sandstorm", Cher "Believe", Santana "Smooth", and random rap shit like Diddy or whoever

n..no, please enlighten us.

youtube.com/watch?v=xSZBIs0gs0E

It's like it was filmed yesterday.

Wanna see an even greater example?
youtube.com/watch?v=jyJU2136ym4

and here's the original:
youtube.com/watch?v=6NtqA5zywQA

They were right it seems

Who was right?

but nothing i-is, no.

what fucking oasis videos were still being shown in 1997?

WOO HOO

seethe

Swervedriver were great. They were on the Road Rash soundtrack and that's where I first heard them. Along with Soundgarden.
youtube.com/watch?v=22b0AYZXoFU

Gen-Z doesn't belong in this thread.

Attached: Get out.jpg (512x512, 42K)

>turn on MTV in 1998
>it’s evolution baby

Attached: F37D3738-665D-4246-B36D-8087309DD509.gif (400x225, 1.07M)

McFarlane was everywhere at that time.

I hate british

I only watched mtv for the cartoons

Dyer know what I mean
Don’t go away
All around the world

SO GIVE ME COFFEE AND TEEVEE,
HISSSSSTORYYYYY
IVE SEEN SO MUCH IM GOIN BLIND IN AND IM BRAIN-DEAD VIRTUALLYYYYYYYYYY

Yall both the apex of queerosexual

And what do you listen to, Mr. Straight Man?

Nah nigga. Some of us just played THPD before practice instead of wishing we were you wanna be stoner, call yourself a real skater cuz you have acne and a lighter bitches

Not Acne-core Blink-182. Fuck, even Wayne walked off a tour with these idiots cuz the show was so small due to the fact that MOST of you skater fucks grew out of your phase once you realized Stacy isnt actually attracted to ash tray breath and not caring about anything. And definitely not artists so far up thier own asses like Tool and NIN that they cant see the contrived shit forrest through the double barreled machine gun shit trees that is their "art"

Attached: tenor.gif (412x292, 2.03M)

>film set in 1997
>semi-charmed life starts playing in the background

Attached: 220px-Third_eye_blind_self_titled.jpg (220x220, 10K)

From a completely objective viewpoint, the 90s began on March 8, 1993 when Beavis and Butthead debuted, and ended on November 28, 1997 when "Beavis and Butthead Are Dead" aired. Like as soon as 1998 happened all that lingering mid 90s culture such as Fiona Apple was gone, replaced by nu metal and boybands

..huh... nigga you onto something

The Jamiroquai era.

>The Jamiroquai era.
you mean the one video they shilled nonstop for like 2 months

Mike Patton

Attached: 18381786_1544836382234889_7957413663101419520_n.jpg (320x359, 34K)

Was 1997 really that long ago? Why does life feel like such a Blur?

Attached: carlos deteriorated 1451743478724.jpg (500x367, 4K)

Checked and truth.

Attached: born in 94.jpg (700x687, 124K)

Blur wer' betta as you were LG x

u wot

man of taste

FOR THE LIFE OF ME

>Swervedriver are great
ftfy

This. Pop punk and nu metal heralded the end of rock'n'roll. (But at least nu metal had a few good bands)

?
I was born in 94 and don't remember the 90's at all desu, my memories start around 9/11

Woo!
Who?

Back in 2012 when the "le 90s kid" thing was the craze, I recall seeing people born in 94 saying they had memories of 1997, and talking shit about 97 borns with no memories of the 90s

It's entirely personnal, but my milestones are
Beginning: late 91,Nevermind comes out
Peak: 95, Mellon Collie is released
End : 98, Adore marks a shift in rock music

that's the joke

> Some nigger music and tay tay, please.
Zoomers

I love how he singles out Tool and NIN and ignores the rest who are far older. But of course, nobody on Yea Forums knows any music outside basic bitch radio shit.

Pro-tip: don't ever willingly admit to liking Tool again

Enema of the State came out when I was in, like, 7th grade and first starting to "date" and get my first couple of clumsily administered handjobs. Perfect soundtrack DESU

doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo

youtube.com/watch?v=JL3xIId4y0c

Fucking GMEX

Pro-tip: KYS

So fucking hot, shit maybe I'm bi

>youtube.com/watch?v=zTuD8k3JvxQ

>YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Attached: gettyimages-508568013.jpg (750x420, 210K)

>I was born in '92
Nice try senile old fuck, 98-05 was best fucking time.

go back to the internet because i wasn't a caveman in 97

>LEMME HEAR YOU SAY YEAAAH

The quintessential 90s song... absolute kino

youtube.com/watch?v=qM5W7Xn7FiA forgot the link

thx Sony for the kino songs youtube.com/watch?v=u9WgtlgGAgs

Attached: 220px-GranTurismo2.jpg (220x206, 16K)

You managed to post the worse Gran Turismo soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=g3gd79FkwDc
AND the worse The Cardigans song...
youtube.com/watch?v=gxdJqncir4Y

>turn down a dark alley in manchester in 1994
>see this
what do?

Attached: manc menace.gif (480x360, 2.4M)

Meh i was like 8 at the time. It's so nostalgic. How about fifa 99?

Attached: 51MHABRYHKL.jpg (486x500, 52K)

you still got some indie bands getting appearances on late night shows
youtube.com/watch?v=ZCQbjvbMea8

It was the last decade with soul

That's different though. Letterman is nowhere near as big as SNL. And indie bands always popped up on him and Conan's shows back in the 90s. Making it to Leno was a sign that you were about to hit the big time. Making it to SNL was a sign that you made it in America.

>Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
based

do a 360 and walk away.

for me it was here's to the night

top tier 90s unstable weirdo QT musician coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=aW2PcOyAWwM

Attached: chan-marshall.png (472x355, 162K)

crying now, thanks

RIGHT ABOUT NOW
THE FUNK SOUL BROTHER
CHECK IT OUT NOW
THE FUNK SOUL BROTHER

Fatboy Slim based

oh no... it's '98 y'all
youtube.com/watch?v=lbcfdNZZIpI

Attached: Rhythm-al-ism.jpg (297x300, 20K)

NO I'M NOT

Now who says we can't be fly?
Who say Compton niggas can't get they scrilla
At the same time get some thigh?
Well uh that's the subject of my conversation
Cause ain't nothin' like gettin' a dollar & some penetration

quik has some GOAT ass shakin party music

youtube.com/watch?v=HCm6gRHINqA

Wait for Matt Pinfield and 120 Minutes

Also,this is one of the best songs of the 90's
youtube.com/watch?v=EkwD5rQ-_d4

Fuck I totally forgot what this song was called for years

>Say what.....
*dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun*
>youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
*dddung dun dun*
*drum roll*
>move really fast, I saw you screamin at the top floor

Attached: craig-wedren.png (471x313, 198K)

Oh wow. Didn't realize that album was that old. Only discovered them on Napster years later.

youtube.com/watch?v=lbnoG2dsUk0

>>According to Marshall, some of Moon Pix was also inspired by two months she spent alone in South Africa, Mozambique and Tanzania, an experience that she said "dented" her. "Cross Bones Style" was written about two children she met in Africa who slept in trees at night after their parents were killed.
Wow. I knew the song was kinda messed up, but.. damn.

*breaks down during concert*

my sister was a crazy for Blur and my dad used to all ways make fun of the line "you and I, collapsed in love" and he would sing "you and I collapsed a lung"

yeah, she was a fuckin mess, but damn was she cute as hell in the 90s
youtube.com/watch?v=94s6O-xddNk
>that accent

90s folk rock gals you say?
youtube.com/watch?v=ImKY6TZEyrI

kek

youtube.com/watch?v=40V9_1PMUGM

mazzy a qt

cheating a bit and posting a 2003 vid but PJ Harvey is pure sex in this

youtube.com/watch?v=A29BMj3v86w

For a while, I remember that it was really trendy to hate on Oasis (I'm not even talking about 1999 here, but rather like 2012), and people would get mad every time the Gallaghers made statments. Heck for a while the term "Gallagher brothers" stirred up angry emotions in normies as visceral as saying "Justin Bieber".

But now, enough time has passed that makes Oasis recently seen as retro-cool and based, rehabilitating their reputation. Like RYM used to mostly have negative reviews of Oasis, but now people are saying "Fuck you guys they have bangers".

A similar situation happened to Phil Collins, going from hated to beloved.

People shit on Phil because his popularity killed Genesis

youtube.com/watch?v=lbq4G1TjKYg

13 year old me could jack off to this video EASILY

*kills the entire garbage genre called britpop*

Attached: Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg (300x300, 88K)

Steve Hackett leaving is what killed Genesis.

Because Steve wasn't getting as much face time as Phil.

Real boomer

is this the boomer general thread

its head shaved retard

It was more the fact that he was EVERYWHERE for like a decade.

Phil's based though, as are the Gallaghers (although I only really like the 90s Oasis stuff)

Funny thing is that Phil and the Gallaghers both hate eachother. You've would've expected them to bond over being hated by normies.

I mean they are both incredibly arrogant and egotistical so I could easily see that.

It's funny though. Just goes to show there is such a thing as too big for too long - overexposure breeds hate.

The Gallaghers hate everyone, even each other. The Gallaghers grew up in the post-prog era when making fun of Genesis and Marillion was just a very hip thing to do.

LMAO

They didn't hate on prog Genesis though. They directed their hate more at 80s yuppie pop Genesis.

I GOT MY HEAD SHAVES
BY AUNT JEMOJI

Top tier Dad joke

This. Zoomers don't understand. Genesis/Phil WAS basically all of pop music in the 80s. Especially in the UK.

going back and reading some of the music critics take on Marillion in the late 80s is a rough ride. Those guys got fucking murdered on a daily basis.

>Genesis/Phil WAS basically all of pop music in the 80s

Nah, that was Michael Jackson. Phil was somewhere behind Madonna.

you forgot Closing Time

Not in the UK.

was nice to be in college in the mid-late 90s, tons of indie rock bands came through Columbia MO.
my favorites were blonde redhead in a dive bar, front row and staring up Kazu Makino's dress the entire show. and shellac in front of a barn on a 95f summer afternoon

Attached: kazu.jpg (770x770, 89K)

>it's become a urban myth, but a lot of people say that song ''Beetlebum'' is about heroin

>I didn't know, is, is The La's song ''There She Goes'' about heroin? Does it matter...? Does it matter...?
Punished Damon Albarn is the best Damon Albarn
vimeo.com/channels/366281/46153236

Attached: damon-albarn.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

>top rap songs of 1997
>not motherfukin Triumph

>Kurt Cobain..
more like Kurt Coblowmybrainsout

early 90's had the breakdown of overcommercialized hair metal that was grunge, took rock n roll back to being edgy and rebellious with a bit of punk brought into pop music, also 3rd wave punk got popular. But mid 90's commercialized those punk bands, Grunge died, and post grunge became increasingly commercial. By the time the late 90's hit it was super commercialized nu metal.

> have sex
You can't give it, can't even buy it, and you just don't get it.

Attached: eye.jpg (2450x1378, 261K)

I was 13 in 2000 and I fucking despised Blink 182 or Sum 41 or any of that shit. It had nothing to with being snob, it was genuinely terrible music that nostalgia retards are now trying to pass as "generation defining" when it wasn't.

What did you listen to?

>blonde redhead in a dive bar, front row and staring up Kazu Makino's dress the entire show.
now I have to check them out

Sneaker pimps
httpsq://youtu.be/2eBZqmL8ehg
Republica
youtu.be/JgffRW1fKDk

She did a great cover of hanging on the phone for a phone commercial. L7 dida good cover for the jerky boys movie
youtu.be/5rx0SsmHnxw
youtu.be/JGOm8bCFBvo
ttps://youtu.be/Yc7JWbv0VEw

New thread