The first Villeneuve's Dune film has just finished shooting...

The first Villeneuve's Dune film has just finished shooting. Now we just wait for them to add an brown hue filter to every scene and we're set.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-26-10-05-17-144_com.twitter.android.jpg (1200x1313, 338K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(novel)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan
youtu.be/1Aa2OqjP9tY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cant wait to see some pics/video.

Okay Denis, show me your autism. I am ready.

He can shove his dishonest cinematography right down my throat senpai im a sucker for dune-kino

so dennis is bad because muh hues and muh love?

Timothee Chalamet is relentlessly handsome. I want to hug him relentlessly.

>brown hue filter to every scene
In the book, it was said that Arrakis has a very dark sky even though the sun is up, and the desert is silvery. There is not enough moisture to 'color' the light reflected from sand. I wonder if the movie will get this right.

>Ride the worm
>Mind Killer

fuckin kino Cocktail names

You fucking suck Brian Herbert, you can tell he gets no pussy like his dad. "distaff member" my ass

good to know it's in the can where it belongs

Call me pessimistic, but there’s no fucking way you can fit dune into a 3 hour film. I’m fully aware they’re planning on splitting it into two separate films, but it’s such a huge risk if the first one doesn’t perform at the box office (which, let’s be honest, it won’t).

The only way this thing is going to make a profit is if they dumb it down to transformers-tier science fiction for the Chinese market, which defeats the entire purpose of Dune.

This is one of the few book series where a Game of Thrones style television adaptation actually makes sense because of the Machiavellian political aspects. Four seasons, ending with God Emperor. But they’re gonna fuck it up with a Hollywood blockbuster that will tarnish Villeneuve’s career.

Dune is the film equivalent of invading Russia in the middle of winter. Many have tired. All have failed.

>Villeneuve
at least they will be able to save time by not editing the movie at all and simply releasing the rough cut.

>Four seasons, ending with God Emperor
>This powindah refused to read Heretics and Chapterhouse, for Dur's sake.

Fuck this talentless piece of shit

he said he's making two movies, no?

Villeneuve couldn't squeeze the plot of an actual episode of the Transformers cartoon into a 3 hour film, we'll be lucky ifhe manages to have Paul's actor appear on screen and say a line within the first hour.

I literally address this in my post you fucking mongoloid. Except they might not even make the sequel if the first one bombs, which it probably will unless certain detrimental changes take place.

kek

I have no hopes and expactations. Hollywood can crash and burn for all I care.

based russian reference poster

I'll be seeing it in theater, DV has proved he can make an interesting looking films if nothing else

How come I get this feeling like I don’t care?

Attached: AD7E7994-33ED-4D3E-84FA-9F189F569459.gif (308x312, 3.15M)

It will take 2 years right?

It also said that spice affected eyes were blue in blue almost black but I doubt they'll get that right

If it's anything like BR2049 I'll be seeing it in IMAX three times

They could've use those full eye contacts, the ones without whites.

Supposedly it's 2020, but I predict development hell and endless delays, and I also don't think the sequel will ever get made.

>You fucking suck Brian Herbert
there's a hilarious introduction by him for the edition of dune I have where he freely admits that his dad mocked his shitty attempts at writing, covered one page of it with red corrections and told him to get his shit together. I firmly believe his master plan is to ruin his dad's legacy in revenge.

Oh no, is Brian involved?

>Villeneuv
such a fucking hack desu he makes me angry. this is how people who lived during prime godard must have felt

I hope there will be some baliset kino with Gurney (josh brolin)

It's not a long book, 300 pages tops if I remember. That could easily be made into two 3ish hour movies.
ASOIAF isn't a good comparison since it hasn't had a book under 800 pages, and has way more viewpoints covered in it than Dune.

>director known for his efficiency, finishes filming in 129 days flats
>never had a film delayed, flawless track record
yeah, you're a retard, and your opinion is double retarded and based on nothing.

the first book is 794 pages not including the encyclopedia shit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(novel)
just looked it up, 412 pages.
so not a short novel, but definitely not ASOIAF tier.

well i literally have it in my hands so not sure why it says 412

There's no way a movie about space Muslims is going to avoid getting pozzed in the current year. They missed the window of opportunity for this one.

>Oh no, is Brian involved?
he's a producer on it but it's unclear how much actual say he has/had. the tv-show spin-offs are based on his shitty prequel books so maybe that's the trade-off he demanded for the movie rights.

original hardcover was 412 pages. smaller paperback editions obviously increase page count.

>There's no way a movie about space Muslims is going to avoid getting pozzed in the current year.
the space muslims are the good guys though and the villain is a fat white male ginger. it ticks all the correct boxes of current year wokeness.

The Fremen being "space Muslims" is a low iq take based on the desert setting and the use of the word jihad for some events in the novels, ie. the Butlerian Jihad.
Herbert's take on religion in Dune was purposely synchretistic, and he himself said he was more influenced by Zen Buddhism than anything else.

This movie will be a mistake and trigger every shitty keyboard warrior on the internet. Not because it will be bad (at this point there is no telling anyway) but because of the story itself.

>a tv adaptation makes sense
you know they did this, right?

My opinion is based on the fact that everyone who has tried to adapt Dune has failed miserably

never heard of this before, but im looking forward to it. im the guy in my area who stands up in the middle of movies, cracks a joke, and leaves. usually i get a laugh. sometimes people tell me to sit down. ive been doing it for about 26 years and im sort of a local legend. im thinking maybe for this one i'll stand up and say "that's it! im dune with this movie!" and walk out. will test it out with family and friends to see how it plays. thanks for letting me know about this. cheers.

>i hate mooslims
>i love dune though i want to be in dune life

The book manages to tick those boxes without coming across as "woke" but the chance a 2019 movie adaptation will be able to are slim.

I think you're missing the point.

There's a racial and eugenic component to this, though

did you read the book lol. look up the Madhi and shit

*mahdi. m'ahdib

again, low iq superficial take based on a couple borrowed words

>He remained silent, thinking like the seed he was, thinking with the race consciousness he had first experienced as terrible purpose. He found that he no longer could hate the Bene Gesserit or the Emperor or even the Harkonnens. They were all caught up in the need of their race to renew its scattered inheritance, to cross and mingle and infuse their bloodlines in a great new pooling of genes. And the race knew only one sure way for this--the ancient way, the tried and certain way that rolled over everything in its path: jihad.
I mean, come on. This seems pretty fucking obvious to me.

based

Based.

I legitimately could not be more excited. I have never doubted Dennis for even a second.

A miniseries isn't the same thing

...I'm not sure what you're seeing as particularly Islamic about that passage besides the word jihad? Muslims didn't invent the concept of a holy war, in fact they were pretty damn late to the party. Also, everyone in the Dune universe practices eugenics, the Fremen, the Nobles Houses, the Bene Gesserit, everyone.

If anything that passage reeks of Zen mixed with Jung.

The Bene Gesserit could never exist in a muslim-based culture

They'd get stoned to death for practicing witchcraft

Guys the Fremen were obviously muslims, as seen during the spice induced orgy they had

This. He is our Muad'Dib.

Also this, kind of, Fremen were essentially a matriarchal culture.

You know guys, you don’t have to blow this middling director’s dick all day. Arrival was 3/5 and 2049 sucked. There are good directors you can go watch

>Arrival was 3/5
that's pretty generous if you ask me
Arrival for all the praise it got here was so fucking retarded imo it's just weird to see people calling it a sci-fi masterpiece etc
also Legendary pictures being behind this bullshit doesn't do it any good either so curb your expectations anons

Do their curved blades and rolling over everything in their path not conjure up any imagery from the various Muslim conquests? They occurred before the crusades, by the way.

>was so fucking retarded
you always know to ignore someone's opinion when they say stuff like this

fucking lmaoing@your life you subhuman. you haven't even read the books. the references and paralles to sandnigger donkey fucking mudslim mohammad dick suckers, including their rites is staggering.
read the fucking books first you mongoloid assbirth, before yo come here touting your asswipe bullshit. Zen Buddhism...in your fucking ass.

Reminder that Villeneuve is chad director who doesn't give a shit about feminists, that's why they mercilessly trashed BR2049 and Sicario.

who trashed Sicario lmao

Just finished reading the first "Dune" novel for the first time in my life.

Are the sequels worth reading, or should I just be content with reading the first one?

2049 was great your just a pleb

Who is doin the score? I hope it's not Zimmer or his drones.

read at least until god-emperor

Based true Herbert

God Emperor is one of the best books ever written

>your just a pleb
Yeah definitely man, I’ll take that to heart

people that didn't like the problematic representation of Mexican americans and for 2049 case MeToo became a thing

These
But Messiah and Children are both solid, don't discredit them, and you do need them to understand God Emperor which is arguably better than Dune itself at points

>great things about the movie sets

Oh yes purchasing a tick on day one.

Attached: 1219226672463.png (645x773, 11K)

I could go on forever and almost did in my post but this thread isn't about Arrival so I won't
Let's just anticipate the new Legendary pictures production, Brian Herbert approved Dune adaptation
this would be dead in the waters if it weren't for the name attached to it and I doubt he could single handedly come through and deliver

yeah, i was being generous when i said low IQ, you're a fucking verified submongoloid
>matriarchal culture that worships a primordial earth diety called shai'hulud embodied in the sandworm, fled from persecution and slavery on journey across many planets, value calmness, centeredness, and living in harmony with environment, only violent in defense, dont become conquerors until taken over by the atriedes and used as a weapon
>but durrr they use the word jihad and mahdi and used CURVED SWARDS
yeah, I haven't read it at all. kill yourself.
you at least sound like you have above 100 IQ, you can do better.

Attached: scully.png (400x287, 117K)

They.... don't? They're literally called witches on Arrakis.

>matriarchal culture
>fremen
Not at all. With the exception of the largely ceremonial Reverend Mother and Sayyadina, their leadership positions are all male: the leaders of their sietchs, the wise men in council, local commanders over raiding group. Men often taken multiple wives, like Stilgar did.

Who cares. It's going to be dishonest bullshit.

Witches doesn't carry a negative connotation to the Fremen, they only call them that because they are mysterious

The woman who has been appointed second unit director on Star Wars IX

Attached: vccunt.jpg (599x327, 41K)

>kill yourself
take your own advice, you fart sniffing clown and read the books. if you had read the books and didn't pick up the countles cues and references to pisslam and mudslimes then not even the omnipotent god himself can fix you, you are fucked.

>people still using the dishonest meme

You have to be retarded to think more than 40 directors are worth following today, so looking forward to 40 movies (at fucking most, and only because koreeda shits out 2-3 a year) a year is more than enough
Villeneuve of course being one of the 40

It's not a matter if they will "get it right". It's easy to interpret the book literally. The real issue is is whether that description would actually look good on screen. The way your mind imagines a book is different from actually recreating that image in reality. A silver sky might not make sense in that respect

>value calmness,
The value poise, the ability to refrain from foolhardy, premature action.
>centeredness,
What?
>and living in harmony with environment,
They literally blew up a mountain with nukes. To get their revenge, they were fine with Paul threatening to kill the spice and worm. They're not nature-loving hippies. They're survivalists in a harsh land. They respect nature out of necessity.
>only violent in defense
That's what the revenge jihad that killed billions was about? Defense? Their most important traditions involved nurturing a murderous grudge. Come on, man.

Just go back to /pol/ fuckwit, literally nobody is interested in anything you have to say.
"Ceremonial"? That's reaching. Is the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother a "ceremonial" position too? Either way, show me the equivalent "ceremonial" positions in Islam. There are none. Fremen culture was influenced by the Bene Gesserit from their pre-history to value the council of women specifically so they could have power when they returned to Arrakis.

Also, if the crysKNIVES resemble something in any religion, its Sikhism, which is essentially the anti-Islam.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirpan

CAPEKIDDIES AND STARSHITTERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

2020 IS THE YEAR OF CINEMA RENAISSANCE

Is the book worth reading? I read a lot of lit so it won't be difficult for me but I've heard some parts of it drag.

Well, if you've read a lot of it, you should be able to figure out if you like it. For what it's worth, I think it's fantastic.

Well it's pretty good for sci fi but honestly it's nothing THAT good, just made a great cult following
Read Lord of Light instead and call it a day

Attached: 1558424407602.jpg (326x499, 45K)

>but there’s no fucking way you can fit dune into a 3 hour film.

perhaps they all talk really fast.

When will this retarded fucking meme die
The book is incredibly easy to fit into two movies holy shit, you people haven't read the fucking book if you think it's impossible to fit into two 2+ hour movies

there'd better not be any fucking giant robot fights, is all i can say.

> but there weren't any giant robots in Dune

that didn't stop him.

Attached: dune_reading.jpg (1144x2560, 1022K)

Dune is just a cliché “white savior saves savages and fucks one their woman” trope that we’ve already seen in movies like Avatar. This is gonna be a pass from me

>@DuneAuthor
Cheeky cunt

Attached: 1556897037660.gif (400x300, 1.73M)

These are me:
>Is the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother a "ceremonial" position too?
In fremen society, mosty, yeah.
I agree with you about the similarities between fremen and muslims being overblown.

this. it's basically stargate/lawrence of arabia in spaaaaace but with hundreds of pages of pseudophilosophical musings dropped here and there which slow down the progression of the plot to a tedious crawl

Nobody asked you faggot

The non-believers do not deserve such kino to grace their eyes with its presence.

Lord of Light would make for a really cool movie but they'd butcher it for sure.

Really bad post. Please, refrain from writing for a few days.

>>@DuneAuthor
fucking hell
>google DuneAuthor
>first result is still Frank Herbert's page
someone should have taught Brian to stop living under his dead father's ballsack before he wrote that shlock slop after chapterhouse

>The first Villeneuve's Dune film
and the last lol

Because he has never made a sequel. Based Denis.

Golden Path chad reporting in.

Attached: hvx876vzyvwz.jpg (2400x1036, 188K)

a trailer in january would be nice.

>brown hue
You mean orange and blue contrast

>they cut her in PTII
I can't believe she actually wanted her in Sicario 2 lmao anyone with half a brain knew it was going to be an action schlock cash-in

It's literally, actually literally, the opposite of that. The entire theme is that it's not that.

>faster and more intense!

They are both great. I need more Vedic futurism.

I prefer this design.

Attached: dune_leto_pepe.jpg (550x1001, 246K)

maybe tell that to the illustrators.

Attached: dune_cover+(1).jpg (365x500, 54K)

>dishonest
The big kids are asleep user, you can stop using that word now.

Dune itself is unfinished and you need to read to God Emperor to get a conclusion. Heretics and Chapterhouse are more like the first two books of a sequel trilogy and was never finished. Still great though.

Attached: 1h6oqa.jpg (600x450, 76K)

The fuck is wrong with that thumb?

very based indeed

clitoris much?

>November 2020
at least another timmykino is coming

Attached: IMG_20190725_180723.jpg (1920x804, 168K)

fucking hell he's ugly

which kino is this?

wrong

Attached: IMG_20180909_063214.jpg (1000x1500, 363K)

He's going to be a shit Paul, but I have no idea where they would find a good actor for that role.

From what I remember of my sparse reading of the book, the Kwisatz Haderach is supposed to see both into the male and female perceptions of the world, best of both worlds or something. Would they try and push some tranny shit with this angle?

>>Is the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother a "ceremonial" position too?
>In fremen society, mosty, yeah.

it's functional. a reverend mother with knowledge of her past lives advises them on practical matters, and turns the water of life into the drug used in the sietch orgies. and probably instructs them in Bene Gesserit fighting techniques.

oddly enough i prefer Herbert's Consentiency stories. they'll never make a film out of this.

> frog sex

Attached: Dosadi Experiment.jpg (850x1388, 169K)

Imagine the pepe memes

Holy shit I remember when Battle of Corin came out, I snagged it from the library and finished it in a few days. Never went near another one of B. Herbert's and KJA team ups again. I cannot believe they've released this many. Holy shit. Just make your own IP guys.

Dosadi Experiment is better than Dune and God Emperor, but no one seems to know it exists because Dune overshadows everything else Herbert wrote. Unfortunately, there's even more nonverbal communication in Dosadi than there is in Dune, so it will never get adapted.

how accurate was the the original Dune movie?
t. never read the books

Attached: 1522630219444.jpg (3516x2500, 302K)

It wasn't. The general plot was pretty close, but there were a ton of things altered or introduced, some for no obvious reason. Some characters like Fenring were droppde. The Baron was portrayed as a raging lunatic instead of a quieter psychopath, and wasn't nearly fat enough. The Emperor appears completely impotent, and the Guild is protrayed as more resourceful/intelligent than they are in the books. Chani had very little screentime, Idaho died way earlier than he did in the books, and due to time most characters had insufficient time. Up to the betrayal it mostly follows the books, though it misses the garden Lady Fenring leaves (because the Fenrings are cut) and the the dinner the Atreides host. After that everything proceeds at about triple the speed it should have. But the music is great.

thanks mate, might actually start reading the first book if its only 412 pages. Are the following books worth it as well?

Not him but just be warned that the book can feel slow to start as it builds the world around you but it's amazing once you're settled into it.

that's good. Love good world building

Typical faggot who thinks he has the same right as David Lynch to view Lynch's Dune as a failure

>orange = brown
kys

Someone already posted the recommendation, but it depends. If you like the first book, then read up to God Emperor. If you don't like unfinished series, stop there. Avoid anything written by his son. If you still want more after finishing the original Dune books, there's The Dosadi Experiment (which is similar to God Emperor thematically) and its prequel (which isn't very good, and which you don't need to read before Dosadi). The Destination: Void series is very different and hasn't aged as well, but it is probably the next best thing Herbert wrote after Dune/Dosadi. Lord of Light, by Zelazny, has already been recommended. If you want brainlet-tier versions of those, there's the Foundation series by Asimov, but End of Eternity (also by Asimov) is much shorter/better than Foundation. Other books you might like that have some similarities (but we're getting pretty far away from Dune) include The Forever War, Hyperion, and about half of Dick's books. More modern stuff would be Iain Banks, or (if you want to read an 80s B movie) Neal Asher, or (if you are a child or want to read a young adult novel marketed toward adults) Neal Stephenson.

>read the third book for a few sentences that are important in book 4
remember, this is supposed to be good

Fuck Lynch, imma dab on dat nigga

*Dabs*

I was just going to read Dune before the movie comes out to have a better understanding but I very much appreciate the recommendations user. Added a few to my list

It's amazing to think that Dune isn't even out yet but it will define the next decade while also being the best movie ever made

Bumping this

I'm only a bit upset because it rules out the possibility of a Morrowind movie being made, because it would be too similar to Dune.

I don't see how this book can possibly be adapted to the screen. That's one of the things that makes it such a good book.

Attached: dune.png (1104x532, 935K)

>Piss filters
>Zimmer
>Meme all-star cast
My body craves mcdonalds arthouse

Attached: Joe flexin.jpg (985x849, 127K)

A Leto II Sketch I did years back. I wanted to incorporate the 3-jawed Sandworm design, while keeping things from the book, like a place Siona could use as a hammock, next to His face.

Attached: Leto1.jpg (2574x2552, 598K)

>saharah dunes with tuaregs
>dubai buildings used a 'sci-fi' city
>CGI big worm
done
Dune is fukin overrated

Why do you think there will be piss filters?

First Look at what the Sandworm design for Denis' Dune might look like. This was an ice sculpture at the wrap party. I hear Bad Dragon has already started work

Attached: BD SHai hulud.jpg (640x1088, 143K)

Please don't fuck this up Villeneuve. I've been waiting a long time for this movie.

Attached: 1529160839221.jpg (812x598, 104K)

He didn't use digital filters. The colors you see in BR2049 were filmed as such through the expert use of studio lighting.

what's dune?

Who do you fellas think will play Kynes? Matthew McConaughey? What about Feyd-Rautha? It's gonna be rad to see a more contemporary interpretation of the book even if it sucks.

Gonna see it three times on opening night.

Nothing, what's amatta you?

HA GOT 'EM

I get the logic but I don't remember that description
Prolly something I passed over reading

What's dune? Explain pls

Attached: 1540417865256.png (507x793, 632K)

Bedouin culture is matriarchal, look up Saddam Hussein's mother

She was superstitious she refused to get herslef photographied because it steals souls or someshit

science fiction epic by frank herbert, got a film adaptation by david lynch which is an interesting mess, now getting an adaptation by denis villeneuve

>film adaptation by david lynch which is an interesting mess
Is it worth a watch or should I wait for the Villeneuve version?

Why yes it's on youtube
I think a director's cut exist, gotta torrent it
Film can get trippy at time

youtu.be/1Aa2OqjP9tY

fremen are dudes that escaped from butlerian jihand they had their stories then at some point in the past a bene gesserit crash landed there and realized that she had to seed these people for future bene gesserits so she gave them the bene gesserit update to their religion, basically preparing the path for the order to come in and manipulate them if needed, but in reality creating a seedbed for paul to make his army

>I can't believe she actually wanted her in Sicario 2 lmao anyone with half a brain knew it was going to be an action schlock cash-in
Implying she wouldn't like action shlock if it had a stronk wemen lead

its going to be some twitter tier woke as fuck bullshit and you know it.

woke twitter was triggered by absolutely every single Villeneuve film though and I don't think this will be an exception

Ready to watch this face on the big screen for 3 hours

Attached: 1rjczdt_1280.jpg (840x911, 153K)

the Frank herbert books are amazing.
the brian herbert books are dreadful trash.

the lynch film is KINO,

the Syfy tv movies are okaish, but better than expected.

the vidya is great.

V-dog makes kino, but once its in the studios hands, all bets are off

Timothée is a big puppy. I want to own him. Hehehehe

Attached: 1483071457fca866a26a181a72b5f23d.jpg (750x825, 82K)

>but once its in the studios hands
Villeneuve had the same absolute creative control just like with BR2049, it's not like now the post production is entirely to the studio. He still has his trusty editor Joe Walker editing with him and he is supervising everything until the last frame.
If anything he only gained more control in this project compared to his other projects, since he is also a co-writer of the script for Dune, which means he has control over absolutely every single department from the ground up (except marketing ofcourse)

Villeneuve is for better or worse one of the best active directors today.

BR2049 was excellent and very pleasing to the eye. I can't believe this is already finished. I'm stoked.

Attached: moltar280.jpg (280x210, 27K)

looks like a peepee lol

Interesting if true, looks like a full-body auger, which makes sense for the creature.

this

haha super based

It would be great if they bring Sting back in a cameo, maybe as the not-drugged Atreides soldier that Hawat tries to assassinate Feyd in the arena with.

They suck. God Emperor is the last decent one.

Did they ever cast Fenring, because he's a failed one over being a genetic eunuch, but he was still a guy. They could change that for the movie

>Muad'dib muhfugga

>"in the can"
>its actually on a memory stick
dishonest

Nah, the entire master copy is actually on the microsd card in Villeneuve's phone that was used to shoot the entire film.

Kek

They should make it so if you haven't read the book then you can't watch the move, it should not be for plebs.

>Zendaya
>Romantic Interest
ist's gonna be shit, who cares about this

She'll have maximum 5 minutes of screentime in the entire film.

I hope this film touches more clearly on the fact the Fremen were manipulated over centuries to accept the Quizat haderach (paul) as their cult leader by the Bene gesserit and in reality the Fremen are the bad guys who go on to religiously cleanse the whole universe. I mean compared to that the Baron Harkonnen is a good guy because he just doesn't like the Atreidies very much (it appears with good reason)

>people who are shat on by the Baron (and a bunch of other people before him) and manipulated into being shock troops to butcher much of humanity are somehow worse than a pedophile sadist who is responsible for unleashing them and Leto II, because he is willing to risk upsetting the balance between the Lansraad and the Emperor, which could have been even worse than Leto's Golden Path, all to eliminate his rival who is his ethical, moral, and aesthetic superior
Great analysis, Irulan.

I Unironically can't wait for this. The next film I'll watch in the theater.

lol Let's not bring peoples sexual preferences or physical appearance into this. But yes slaughtering much of humanity is far worse than being an ugly pedo who wants power, it's far far worse, where the hell did you get your ethics from?

Based

it's almost Yea Forums vs reddit the movie, but which is which?