Venice 2019

Here are the films that will be in competition.
>labiennale.org/en/cinema/2019/venezia-76-competition
Some highlights. Joker in competition, quite surprising turn of events. New Roy Andersson film is only 73 minutes long. Ad Astra (Gray), Wasp Network (Assayas), J'Accuse (Polanski), Ema (Larrain), The Truth (Koreeda), Waiting for the Barbarians (Guerra)
Out of Competition lineup
>labiennale.org/en/cinema/2019/out-competition
New of cut of Irreversible, this time in chronological order. Why? What's the point?
The New Pope will play here, episodes 2-7.
Pattinson has 2 films here. The King OOC and Waiting for the Barbarians in competition.

Thoughts? What films are you most excited for?

Attached: EAUBxQMXsAUvhIy.jpg (2048x1024, 296K)

Other urls found in this thread:

labiennale.org/en/cinema/2019/lineup
tiff.net/films
youtube.com/watch?v=-csly3dWYTU
youtube.com/watch?v=uXGFGTf6sfg
youtube.com/watch?v=DcNC2O8Fegs
screendaily.com/comment/comment-this-year-marks-a-new-low-for-female-directors-at-venice/5141503.article
variety.com/2019/film/festivals/venice-film-festival-alberto-barbera-gender-parity-netflix-roman-polanski-hollywood-1203279528/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Batman and Robin in medieval england

Attached: Screenshot_20190725-190738687_1.jpg (1080x921, 153K)

I hope this will be better than Outlaw King. Both medieval films, both by decent directors and both funded by Netflix.

Attached: TImothee Chalamet King.jpg (1122x1108, 182K)

>J'Accuse (Polanski)
madman

it skips TIFF, so most likely it'll be better than Outlaw King

>Joker
Wtf

il Buffone

>73 minutes
Those kind of tightly written narrative films needs a comeback in the industry.

Based Venice once again dabbing on those women even after signing that retarded pledge about gender balance. Only 2 in competition meanwhile Polanski is in. Kek.
It could be announced at TIFF no? This was only the first wave of announcements.
There was a rumour that Kechiche will have new cut of Mektoub out of competition too. I wonder what happened to that.

Roy Andersson usually has a series of vignettes instead of tightly written narrative films.

>Joker
This can't be happening...

Is J'accuse a remake of the 1919 classic?

It is, Barbera (artistic director) said that it's like a prequel to TDK, great film with an extraordinary performance.

>After facing backlash for an almost all-male lineup in recent years, the good news is that Venice has doubled the number of female directors in competition. The bad news is that wasn’t too hard to do, going from one director to two out of 21 competition films.
lmao

Lineup looks rather dull compared to this year's Cannes, to be honest.

>Joker in competition
obviously as a joke and a punching bag to show why comic book shit especially DC should never be allowed at these festivals

I have not seen that film. Is it good?
This one is about Alfred Dreyfus.
>In 1894, French Captain Alfred Dreyfus is wrongfully convicted of treason and sentenced to life imprisonment at Devil's island.
People can shit on Venice for trying too hard to be a platform Oscar films and it's true but this just fucking based. The same thing with cannes, they also signed the pledge yet their lineup didn't change that much.

seething disneyfag

Why? I think Guerra, Marhoul, Polanski, Larrain, Gray, Andersson, Assayas, Koreeda all look pretty good. Maybe even some of those Italian films will be good and Egoyan will finally make something that's worth my time.

I'm also surprised that Uncut Gems isn't in Venice. They are doing Telluride and TIFF. I heard that the script is even better than Good Time. It's supposed to be a pure Safdie film, so why are they skipping Venice?

Attached: 1zptlkx.jpg (680x285, 33K)

Just because Marvel is garbage doesn't mean everything has to be garbage

>Guerra
Source material doesn't sound interesting
>Marhoul
Might be interesting but personally I feel like "the persecuted Jew" theme is tired
>Polanski
Hasn't been on his A-game for years
>Gray
All signs point to trash.
>Andersson
Yes, might be interesting
>Assayas
Garbage
>Koreeda
The only one in whom I have no doubts.

The source material for Guerra is allegedly very good. Depp should have a great role.
I agree with you, but the cast is quite interesting and it has been a passion project for Marhoul so it might be good.
This is allegedly his best films in years, it might be his swan song.
Well the script for Gray is decent, it might be a good cerebral character study also it will be a Pitt show so it kind of depends on his performance.
>garbage
Why? It might be a good spy flick.
I would say that Koreeda is the one i have the most doubts about. Why didn't he go to Cannes when the film is in French? The plot also sounds quite messy. It's also his first film outside of Japan.

I'm a brainlet and don't understand how this stuff works. But why aren't the same movies from cannes going to be in this lineup?

They only take world premieres. TIFF for example has several branches in the festival and some of them take films from Cannes, Venice and Telluride. But this year they announced that one of the platforms will be full of world premieres.

What are the dates for this event? Also, can you kinda break it down when you say several branches in this festival?

How do movies get nominated for a screening at TIFF? Do most of these films end up as Oscar winners or do some of them bust

I read 200-400 films are screened here per year. If so, it sounds like they just accept any film

Venice is 28.8. to 7.9. By groups i meant this labiennale.org/en/cinema/2019/lineup
In competition, out of competition, orizzonti etc. Tiff also has these branches/groups i don't how to call it. tiff.net/films you can see it here. There is something called wavelenghts, midnight madness, masters etc. I'm not really expert at TIFF.
You send you film there i presume and i accept or decline. Some of them bust big time.
No not really, the number of films send to these festivals is very big. One person who work for Orizzonti said that he is watching 8 films per day just to know what to accept and what not. It also depends to what selection you are accepted. But yes they do accept soms duds, it depends on studio, producers how much they push the films. Sometimes they do a deal with a festival. Like Cannes 2016. Producer of Elle said, if you want Elle you have to take Aquarius in competition too.

>Wasp Network
They announced it in May
Did Assayas made the whole film in three months?

They began filming in February. Still quite fast.

Yet Venice lineup is better quality

I say the same

Outlaw King was fine.

>Joel Edgerton as Fatstaff
Sorry but I don't see it

Attached: Falstaff.jpg (322x344, 27K)

>Joker in competition
IN COMPETITION?? Are they crazy or what?

I agree, i didn't say it was bad. I just hope The King will be better than fine.

>Joker at the Mostra

Attached: nigger in charge.jpg (1920x1080, 183K)

>(((Ciro Guerra)))
>(((female directors)))
>Based Polanski BTFO roastie movement left and right

I'm only hyped for Baumbach, Gray and Phillips. Seeing film Twitter cucks get blown the fuck out in their own safe space is incredible

What's wrong with Guerra? Embrace of the Serpent is amazing. I hate Baumbach so that's a no from me.

Twitter cucks ans marvertardos mad

Honestly i don't give a shit about marvel or DC but i find the outrage to be incredibly entertaining. Having Polanski in comp is even more based.

Sudaca kike trying to exploit natives and pretending to be some white savior for it.

>Ad Astra
>Joker
>another Egoyan flop

>these are the official selections

Attached: 1547693599090.gif (379x440, 140K)

Now i get you. Still a good filmmaker and his new film looks good. Rylance + Pattinson sounds great. Hopefully Depp will give a good performance.
Lot of other films in there. Maybe Egoyan will get his shit together this time.

I just read what the Larrain movie is going to be about

Attached: thinkingpotato.jpg (575x564, 206K)

> The couple deals with the aftermath of an adoption that goes awry as their household falls apart.
>the story would find several characters expressing themselves through contemporary dance, including reggaeton, but the movie was not a musical

Sounds a bit like Carlos Saura's dance films
youtube.com/watch?v=-csly3dWYTU

I have sex

God, Saura is the most boring dipshit in the entire fucking world. I saw the one about the young kid robbers and it was boring as fuck.

Martin Eden trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=uXGFGTf6sfg
The Painted Bird trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=DcNC2O8Fegs
Good cast at least.

>Martin Eden
Is that the Jack London novel? You cannot find a more Gary Stu character

I think yes.

>New of cut of Irreversible, this time in chronological order
Wut? why?

Zero idea, it's also 11 minutes shorter than original version so i guess there are some changes.

>new Costra Gavras film out of competition
>Adults in the Room
>based on Yanis Varoufakis book
Holy fucking based

Attached: Yanis-jacket.jpg (1655x1000, 149K)

What's that about?

Attached: 35257254.jpg (263x400, 29K)

2015 greek financial bailout

If you think the subject is dull, Costra Gavras already made a cynical comedy, The Capital, about a bank takeover and it was kino

It wasn't Greek they were bailing out at all.

Well, i have yet to see Costa Gavras film. Where should i start?

They know it probably won't win the golden lion, but Joaquin Phoenix might have a legit chance at the best actor prize. That alone would create huge buzz for the film.

>Martel as the head of jury
I doubt that he will win but we will see.

Z, State of Siege or Missing
Very underrated director

LOL

Attached: penice film festival.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

Alright, i will check them out. Thanks.

>J'Accuse (Polanski)
I know we like to meme on women, but I genuinely dislike this guy. The fact that everyone in the industry is fine with him condemns the whole institution of filmmaking IMO.

Hope the film is good anyways.

>This one is about Alfred Dreyfus.
>>In 1894, French Captain Alfred Dreyfus is wrongfully convicted of treason and sentenced to life imprisonment at Devil's island.
Of course, the Jewish film director accused of a heinous crime is making a film about a jew who was falsely accused of committing a heinous crime.

They are all hypocrites for sure. Before the me too shit started everybody had been fine with it.
Yes, it might be a good film after which he can finally retire.

Reporters are already seething. This year is going to be so fucking funny. Hopefully Cannes will have 2-3 women next year too.

>Convicted child rapist Roman Polanski will screen his new film at Venice.
>He is one of 21 directors in Competition; only two are women.

>screendaily.com/comment/comment-this-year-marks-a-new-low-for-female-directors-at-venice/5141503.article

Bump

Is Joker actually good?

Do any of these movies get pirated so I could watch them?

yes but don't expect subtitles
the people who watch these films typically know at least a dozen languages

>New Roy Andersson film
Fucking finally.

Yes but next year or towards the end of this year.
Also if anyone wants to watch new Almodovar film which was at Cannes this year, it's already online.
It's quite short also. Looks good, i have only seen Songs from the Second Floor and i liked it.

new picture

Attached: ba3b_202f9934_640.jpg (640x268, 33K)

Attached: .jpg (540x540, 92K)

Looks good. Hopefully there will be some nice battle scene.

is that Sean Harris

Yes

Graykino incoming

Attached: EAU-wRWW4AEwyPZ.jpg (1200x801, 72K)

Always recognize his empty evil looking eye sockets.

highly doubt it will be good.

it sounds like a de-fanged Event Horizon

Finally, new timothee kino to watch. The post-CMBYN drought has been utterly unbearable.

Attached: 1564055257028-preview.jpg (3000x1256, 450K)

Script is decent. Gray is a good director. I think it has a potential. Nice character study, but Pitt needs to be great in it since he is very much an emotional center. So it will depend on his performance. It's his film basically.

Attached: EAU-wRXW4AEG6_b.jpg (1200x800, 102K)

>Hal (Timothée Chalamet), wayward prince and reluctant heir to the English throne, has turned his back on royal life and is living among the people. But when his tyrannical father dies, Hal is crowned King Henry V and is forced to embrace the life he had previously tried to escape. Now the young king must navigate the palace politics, chaos and war his father left behind, and the emotional strings of his past life — including his relationship with his closest friend and mentor, the ageing alcoholic knight, John Falstaff (Joel Edgerton). Directed by David Michôd and co-written by Michôd and Edgerton, THE KING co-stars Sean Harris, Ben Mendelsohn, Robert Pattinson, and Lily-Rose Depp.

>Michôd said in a statement: “Before Joel Edgerton and I embarked on a retelling of the story of Henry V, I never thought I’d find myself one day making a medieval movie. Swords and horses were never my thing. But the more we talked and the deeper I researched, the more excited I was by the idea of rendering the Middle Ages – its dirt, its brutality, its precariousness of life and death, its sheer other-worldliness – in a way that felt raw and human. I wanted the kind of medieval movie I might make – one devoid of the nationalist bombast normally associated with the story of Henry V and one that might illuminate the ways in which war can emerge from the swamp of power and paranoia, greed and hubris, fear and family.”

>Batman and Robin in medieval england
Yaaas hunny!
I need them to fuck

Attached: 15f4f1f9819fbd93074ee51962e4ff29.jpg (1080x1079, 158K)

3some kino

Attached: 5789.jpg (501x621, 73K)

>Also if anyone wants to watch new Almodovar film which was at Cannes this year, it's already online.
I liked the scene where Almodovar goes to a poor neighbourhood to buy heroin, asks the first black guy he sees, and buys heroin

Attached: Pain&Glory-HeroinScene.webm (720x384, 2.44M)

I haven't seen it yet. Probably going to watch it today. Did you like it?

the signals are accurate for a reason

online where....

Sure. Not his best movie, but a good one.
Think about it as a mix of Amarcord and a depressive 8 1/2.

Torrent it.
What's your favourite Almodovar?

Dolor.y.Gloria.2019.1080p.NF.WEB-Rip.DDP5.1.HEVC-DDR[EtHD]

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

thanks. will watch on saturday

variety.com/2019/film/festivals/venice-film-festival-alberto-barbera-gender-parity-netflix-roman-polanski-hollywood-1203279528/

>You pointed out at the press conference that it’s rare for Warner Bros. to be in competition, as they are this year with “Joker.”
>Yes, as usual they said they wanted to be in a more protected situation [as with “A Star Is Born” last year, which launched out of competition]. But then [director] Todd Phillips said: “I don’t care if I run the risk of not winning. Why shouldn’t I go in competition when I know what we’ve I’ve got on our hands?”
>I have to say, Warners was convinced pretty rapidly, because it’s a really surprising film. It’s the most surprising film we’ve got this year…This one’s going straight to the Oscars even though it’s gritty, dark, violent. It has amazing ambition and scope.

kek, Todd is really confident.
>“I don’t care if I run the risk of not winning. Why shouldn’t I go in competition when I know what we’ve I’ve got on our hands?”
Seems like he thinks that it is some kind of masterpiece.